NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook, Embassies, and Consulates

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trelatche
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Jute wrote:
Alvisiror wrote:Is there a way of making the factbook available in several languages just like on Wikipedia you can choose the language of the article?
I plan to write it in the official languages of my nation so making it available only in English wouldn't make sense.

Write the same factbook several times and then link to each version from inside it?

Yea I mean even Wikipedia had to rewrite their articles; there's no magic button that you can just press (though would be useful).
An Independent NationStates News Source :
Read THE MEDIETE JOURNAL -- PART OF UNSMG, UBU & THE INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING GROUP
VISIT TRELATCHE'S BUSINESSES & ORGANIZATIONS AT GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE:
UNITED NATIONSTATES MULTIMEDIA GROUP (OPEN) -- NEWS FEED (OPEN) | MEDIETE STOCK EXCHANGE (OPEN) | TRELATCHE COMPUTING DEVELOPMENT (OPEN)
GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE CENTRAL SECURITY (OPEN) | PEARSON MOTORS (OPEN) | ETV CORPORATION (OPEN)

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Is there a way for me to move the languages box even more left?

I did
Code: Select all
[floatleft] [box]Languages
[center][url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=alvisiror/detail=factbook/id=434071]Русский[/url][/center]
[center]Français[/center]
[/box][/floatleft]

But I'd like it even more to the left since it looks like this
Our main religion is atheism but all other religions are respected.
My Factbook
When I am RPing with you I may use different Army Ranks
I am atheist
Anti-Non prescription drugs (weed, meth, cocaine e.t.c)
Anti-LGBT and transgender/transexual
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
I support the US Second Amendment
If you got a problem with any of this than too bad you don't have to like me
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

IATA Member

Trelatche
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Alvisiror wrote:Is there a way for me to move the languages box even more left?

I did
[center][url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=alvisiror/detail=factbook/id=434071]Русский[/url][/center]
[/box][/floatleft]

That's as far left as the box can go unfortunately.
An Independent NationStates News Source :
Read THE MEDIETE JOURNAL -- PART OF UNSMG, UBU & THE INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING GROUP
VISIT TRELATCHE'S BUSINESSES & ORGANIZATIONS AT GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE:
UNITED NATIONSTATES MULTIMEDIA GROUP (OPEN) -- NEWS FEED (OPEN) | MEDIETE STOCK EXCHANGE (OPEN) | TRELATCHE COMPUTING DEVELOPMENT (OPEN)
GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE CENTRAL SECURITY (OPEN) | PEARSON MOTORS (OPEN) | ETV CORPORATION (OPEN)

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:47 am

Trelatche wrote:
Jute wrote:Write the same factbook several times and then link to each version from inside it?

Yea I mean even Wikipedia had to rewrite their articles; there's no magic button that you can just press (though would be useful).

There is, but Google Translate is unreliable, of course :P
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:01 am

Jute wrote:
Trelatche wrote:Yea I mean even Wikipedia had to rewrite their articles; there's no magic button that you can just press (though would be useful).

There is, but Google Translate is unreliable, of course :P

I'm personally writing it since I know both English and Russian. French is where it will get tricky since I don't know it that well.
In Wikipedia the articles can be very different in different languages, some have a lot more detail than others.
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 am

Alvisiror wrote:
Jute wrote:There is, but Google Translate is unreliable, of course :P

I'm personally writing it since I know both English and Russian. French is where it will get tricky since I don't know it that well.
In Wikipedia the articles can be very different in different languages, some have a lot more detail than others.

That is true, as usually Russians might know more about Russia than most American Wikipedia editors and authors.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 am

Jute wrote:That is true, as usually Russians might know more about Russia than most American Wikipedia editors and authors.

Also the style is different when it comes to the way the content is shown. I however prefer the one set up by the OP so I am merely translating the categories and adding some that are on a typical English Wikipedia page for a country (English ones have more content).
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:49 am

Alvisiror wrote:
Jute wrote:That is true, as usually Russians might know more about Russia than most American Wikipedia editors and authors.

Also the style is different when it comes to the way the content is shown. I however prefer the one set up by the OP so I am merely translating the categories and adding some that are on a typical English Wikipedia page for a country (English ones have more content).

If you need any help writing it, you can ask me.

The Grand Republic of Hannover
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi, I am currently working on my Factbook and I wanted to know how to organize each section. For instance, under the Economy category if I create XX segment and then created YY segment, YY segment will appear first on the list under Economy category. Is there any way to move XX segment back to the top of the list?

Thanks!

(Also, I apologize if this has been asked before)
Last edited by The Grand Republic of Hannover on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSG - Independent. Senator Daniel Krumholz
1870 Real-World RP - Colombia
2014 RP - Colombia
Marsisian Communist Revolution - Hannover
1913 RP - Great Britain

You may also contact me at Here

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm

The Grand Republic of Hannover wrote:Hi, I am currently working on my Factbook and I wanted to know how to organize each section. For instance, under the Economy category if I create XX segment and then created YY segment, YY segment will appear first on the list under Economy category. Is there any way to move XX segment back to the top of the list?

Thanks!

(Also, I apologize if this has been asked before)

I'm not sure I understand, but you can usually do that by using the common clipboard shortcuts of Ctrl + X (cut) and Ctrl + V (paste) to move text around.

Seamus-Tropez
Secretary

Founded: Sep 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Seamus-Tropez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 am

I have a question that needs to be answered.

I am currently working on a wiki-style factbook of Seamus-Tropez. For some reason, if a boxed paragraph is next to the sidebar, then it makes the box end below the sidebar, making the box incredibly over-sized and making the entire factbook look like it has shoddy coding or some such. First, it happened to the templates that were used to signify empty categories (think of the stub templates used on the actual Wikipedia), which forced me to convert them into normal paragraphs, and now it is affecting the Table of Contents, as you may notice when you look at the factbook.

I have tried to combat this issue by adding [align=left] tags to the Table of Contents, but it has done nothing and the Table of Contents box is still over-sized.

What else would be a good strategy to fix this problem?
My Obligatory Political Views Sig
Supports: Keynesian economics, Third Way, social liberalism, LGBTQ rights, pro-choice, gun control.
Neutral: Constitutional monarchy, European Union.
Opposes: Austrian school, fascism, communism, pro-life, third-way feminism, men's rights activism, political views signatures.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:56 am

Seamus-Tropez wrote:I have a question that needs to be answered.

I am currently working on a wiki-style factbook of Seamus-Tropez. For some reason, if a boxed paragraph is next to the sidebar, then it makes the box end below the sidebar, making the box incredibly over-sized and making the entire factbook look like it has shoddy coding or some such. First, it happened to the templates that were used to signify empty categories (think of the stub templates used on the actual Wikipedia), which forced me to convert them into normal paragraphs, and now it is affecting the Table of Contents, as you may notice when you look at the factbook.

I have tried to combat this issue by adding [align=left] tags to the Table of Contents, but it has done nothing and the Table of Contents box is still over-sized.

Have you tried [floatleft] ?

Seamus-Tropez
Secretary

Founded: Sep 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Seamus-Tropez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:07 am

Jute wrote:
Seamus-Tropez wrote:I have a question that needs to be answered.

Have you tried [floatleft] ?

Yes, the template that Ponderosa provided for the Table of Contents already has a [floatleft] tag.

Also, I have just now found the reason why the Table of Contents was like that: The [floatleft] and [box] tags were placed incorrectly, with the latter being placed before the former, which caused only the text to be affected, and not the box itself.

It's fixed now, so thank you for the help.
My Obligatory Political Views Sig
Supports: Keynesian economics, Third Way, social liberalism, LGBTQ rights, pro-choice, gun control.
Neutral: Constitutional monarchy, European Union.
Opposes: Austrian school, fascism, communism, pro-life, third-way feminism, men's rights activism, political views signatures.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:09 am

Seamus-Tropez wrote:
Jute wrote:Have you tried [floatleft] ?

Yes, the template that Ponderosa provided for the Table of Contents already has a [floatleft] tag.

Also, I have just now found the reason why the Table of Contents was like that: The [floatleft] and [box] tags were placed incorrectly, with the latter being placed before the former, which caused only the text to be affected, and not the box itself.

It's fixed now, so thank you for the help.

Glad it's fixed now. If you need more help, be sure to message me, I have plenty of experience with factbooks by now. :)

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:09 am

Alvisiror wrote:Is there a way of making the factbook available in several languages just like on Wikipedia you can choose the language of the article?
I plan to write it in the official languages of my nation so making it available only in English wouldn't make sense.

Write it in your official language then write it in English.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Caribica
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Caribica » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:40 pm

tag

Rhinumehr
Attaché

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhinumehr » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Jute wrote:

Write the same factbook several times and then link to each version from inside it?

If you want a translation into Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, or Turkish, you can upload it in Duolingo's immersion page and get it translated. This only works for those languages, and you'd still need to rewrite everything into the factbook. This will just help you get a natural-sounding translation into another language.
Random box.
Rhin Language

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Rhinumehr wrote:
Jute wrote:Write the same factbook several times and then link to each version from inside it?

If you want a translation into Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, or Turkish, you can upload it in Duolingo's immersion page and get it translated. This only works for those languages, and you'd still need to rewrite everything into the factbook. This will just help you get a natural-sounding translation into another language.

Though it is worth noting that the Immersion service is only provided for Spanish, German, French, Italian, and Portuguese.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Apocryphi
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Apocryphi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:32 am

This whole translation dealy sounds like alot of effort...
Yours sincerely,
King Tywin III

Fancy establishing embassies? Just click here for the form.

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 am

Apocryphi wrote:This whole translation dealy sounds like alot of effort...

That is because it is, unless of course you decide to use google translate....
YOUR UBER IS HERE
̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ______________________ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿
What this nation was like during 2017Spread the web loveBut for real, this is my IC flagMe irl for real this time

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:47 am

Apocryphi wrote:This whole translation dealy sounds like alot of effort...

Depending on the languages you wish to use, I could help.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Anollasia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Anollasia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Alvisiror wrote:Is there a way for me to move the languages box even more left?

I did
[/box][/floatleft]

That's cool. I might try that out if I have time. :)

Estado Seridoense
Civilian

Founded: Jun 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Seridoense » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:27 am

How to insert a box with an image in it and description?

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Estado Seridoense wrote:How to insert a box with an image in it and description?

Center box (factbook):
[center][box][img]http://www.songsparrow.com/images-plants-2014/400/5TPICES.jpg[/img]
'Ice Storm' Tree Peony[/box][/center]

Center box (forums):
[align=center][box][img]http://www.songsparrow.com/images-plants-2014/400/5TPICES.jpg[/img]
'Ice Storm' Tree Peony[/box][/align]

'Ice Storm' Tree Peony

Left box:
[floatleft][box][img]http://www.songsparrow.com/images-plants-2014/400/5TPICES.jpg[/img]
'Ice Storm' Tree Peony[/box][/floatleft]

'Ice Storm' Tree Peony

Right box:
[floatright][box][img]http://www.songsparrow.com/images-plants-2014/400/5TPICES.jpg[/img]
'Ice Storm' Tree Peony[/box][/floatright]
'Ice Storm' Tree Peony

Unlike my quick example, you should upload your photos to an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur to avoid having the image possibly being changed to another picture (possibly inappropriate) or deleted without your knowledge.

Hopefully this helps!
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Manawatu-Wanganui
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Manawatu-Wanganui » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:18 pm

If you've seen any irl country's Wikipedia you may have seen how in the table of contents it may say "2 Politics <underneath and to the right> 2.1 Government"

The "2.1 Government" part is always slightly to the right, is there any way to do this in NS?

Examples
RP, MT, Alt-Hist, Socialists, Read factbooks! its good for you!

Population: 232,200
Land Area: 22,215 km²
Capital: Palmerston North

In Wars: New Zealand Civil War (2010-ongoing)
Military Weapons: Warsaw type weapons
Military Size: 20,000 (At current time)
At war with: New Zealand, UK
Allies:Tavera, The New Zealand Socialist Liberal State

News - 3 Dead in Taverkian Military Helicopter crash near Levin, investigation into the crash has begun | SLS and Tavera forces fight NZ in Town of Stratford | Manawatu Navy take HMNZS Canterbury survivors POW | Palmerston North to upgrade hospital | Kapiti-coast-area Checkpoint attacked by car bomb, Manawatu officals blame New Zealand

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information