NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nations Warships, MKII

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allentyr
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Allentyr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:52 am

Crookfur wrote:
Allentyr wrote:http://i.imgur.com/bjMRiv3.png

Anything too wrong with this design? I won't clutter with a stat block, but it's meant to replace most of my supercarriers because I'm slashing the carrier fleet to become more defense-oriented.

Yes, I know there's a severe lack of anti-ship weapons since there's only four 57mm guns (two on each side).

not hugely, there does seem to be some odd scling issues going on with some of the radars and the dows and doors on the bridge are gigantic for some reason.

I don't really see the point in the 57mm guns since you have CIWS and any anti-shipping work would be done by your aircraft. You could be better repalcing them with some SHORAD SAMs like sea sparrow or even just RAM launchers.

Oh yeah just noticed I didn't fix the bridge, thanks for that.

Also wouldn't it better to have some guns just in case enemy ships get too close to be capable of launching aircraft? Like, it'd be very unlikely unless the entire fleet was already being annihilated, but you know. Just in case. At least SOMETHING to shoot at enemy ships with.
Steam
Blazedtown wrote:I'll spell reaganomincs in your bathroom mirror in blood, and remove minorities from from your family photo albums

Sediczja wrote:
Basseemia wrote:You sound gross. Learn some hygiene.

Hey, showering is for little girls. You're not a real man until the rot on your crotch is an inch thick.

Mefpan wrote:I don't think we need a source to prove that the economy is interconnected and doesn't run on muahahahaium, the secret element that comes into existence whenever someone hatches a nefarious plan.

Emperial Germany wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Would you like her to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M. in full witch attire?

Would you like me to show up in your bedroom at 3:00 A.M in full Joker attire?

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:13 am

Crookfur wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
First, fix your scaling. It's way off, which makes any attempt at evaluation impossible. For instance, on the first one, your planes are too tall to fit into the hangar doors you have toward the rear of the ship. The windows are also almost as tall as your planes, and you seem to be lacking, um, engines. There are also a lot of lines that seem to go nowhere that need to be cleaned up, but there may be an image scaling problem that makes them get dropped. If you can find an image host that doesn't confine it to a webpage view (direct link is ideal), that'd be much better.

The second one would probably push itself under the waves if it tried to go anywhere. The bow just doesn't work.

IIRC its supposed to be a Ulstein X-bow design, which do work.

Its also quite a nasty mdoficiation of Thiel's waverider class from shipbucket.

Gig em Aggies: You may not be aware of this but the folks at shipbucket understandably get very upset when you take thier stuff and don't retain or ignore thier crediting standards.
I know you day you didn't draw these but I would be very pissied if you took some of my work and made the minimal changes you have done before claiming them as your nations' product. I'm not sure if Thiel is active on NS or what his nation might be if he is but you are definitely in mod actionable plagarism territory here if he is and he chooses to make an issue of it.

On the Gans reveille, if you can't see the fact the hull it no where near tall/deep enough or that a single thin "deck" with no real support, that honestly makes the famously under strength and spindly new Southern general helipad look rhobust and well designed, simply won't support 1, let alone multiple heavy helicopters, then the best advice is to simply go away and spend a lot more time looking at actual carriers. Trying multideck operations can be forgiven as many people think they are being new and original with the concept without realising that its been tried several tiems IRL and in all cases it was a horrible failure that was quickly abandonded.

Thinking I don't want trouble I did find the artist so now it should be okay.

On design of double flight deck how can I design or modify a ship for it to actually work?
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

Gig em Aggies: You may not be aware of this but the folks at shipbucket understandably get very upset when you take thier stuff and don't retain or ignore thier crediting standards.
I know you day you didn't draw these but I would be very pissied if you took some of my work and made the minimal changes you have done before claiming them as your nations' product. I'm not sure if Thiel is active on NS or what his nation might be if he is but you are definitely in mod actionable plagarism territory here if he is and he chooses to make an issue of it.

On the Gans reveille, if you can't see the fact the hull it no where near tall/deep enough or that a single thin "deck" with no real support, that honestly makes the famously under strength and spindly new Southern general helipad look rhobust and well designed, simply won't support 1, let alone multiple heavy helicopters, then the best advice is to simply go away and spend a lot more time looking at actual carriers. Trying multideck operations can be forgiven as many people think they are being new and original with the concept without realising that its been tried several tiems IRL and in all cases it was a horrible failure that was quickly abandonded.

On design of double flight deck how can I design or modify a ship for it to actually work?

Double flight decks was tried in the 30's, even triple superimposed decks. They discovered that it firstly encroached on vital hangar space, secondly limited the takeoff distance and thus impacted the maximum takeoff weight of aircraft you could throw off your flight deck, thirdly launching from the hangar required as many as six catapults to match the ability of four or less catapults on the main flight deck and nobody was willing to trade anti-air firepower, storm resistance and hangar space to launch planes from the hangar.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Empire of Gibraltar
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Gibraltar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 am

GSS Gibraltar:
It is based a lot on French Destroyers, a lot from the Suffren Class and Horizon Class.

6,975 Tonnes: Full Weaponry
5,230 Tonnes: No Weaponry

172 M Long
12.5 M Wide
5.5 M High

1x Nuclear Fission Reactor
90 MeV, equivalent to 120,000 horsepower.

43 Knots (49 MPH, 79 KM/H)

Phalanx CIWS
Patriot Missile System

6x Exocet Ship-Ship Missile
56x Rapier SAM
1x 40MM Cannon

The Gibraltar has been in service since 1995, and is the most advanced class in their arsenal. It also serves as a flagship.
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's entire life thinking it's stupid." -Albert Einstein
Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:56 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:On design of double flight deck how can I design or modify a ship for it to actually work?

You can't. That's why they aren't used.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

New Oyashima
Minister

Founded: Oct 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Oyashima » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:On design of double flight deck how can I design or modify a ship for it to actually work?

You can't. That's why they aren't used.

We have a negative nacy here :c

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 am

Allentyr wrote:
Crookfur wrote:
not hugely, there does seem to be some odd scling issues going on with some of the radars and the dows and doors on the bridge are gigantic for some reason.

I don't really see the point in the 57mm guns since you have CIWS and any anti-shipping work would be done by your aircraft. You could be better repalcing them with some SHORAD SAMs like sea sparrow or even just RAM launchers.

Oh yeah just noticed I didn't fix the bridge, thanks for that.

Also wouldn't it better to have some guns just in case enemy ships get too close to be capable of launching aircraft? Like, it'd be very unlikely unless the entire fleet was already being annihilated, but you know. Just in case. At least SOMETHING to shoot at enemy ships with.

If the enemy is within gun range then the carrier is already buggered. Other than your CIWS all the guns you really need are a couple of light 20-30mm cannon on pintle or light turret mounts to ward off boghammers.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:57 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

No idea. As has been said it's been tried and binned. Pretty much all carriers have the same single operations/flight deck with a hanger deck underneath it design (although with lots of variety within that concept) becuase nothing else works anywhere near as well.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:36 pm

First ship design, help me out with any obvious flaws please. Year is 1930s equivalent.

GIS Candid-class Cruiser
Sorry for teeny-tiny size, it's at 1px:1m scale :P

Stats
:General:
Length: 170m
Beam: 25m
Height: 33.8m
Draft: 11.2m
Displacement: 3750
Speed: 30kn
Complement: ~400

:Armament:
2x300mm double-gun
2x200mm double-gun
13x28mm quad-gun

Will edit/add info as needed.
Last edited by Girten Isle on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PT (1930's)
I do not use NS stats, see (mostly-empty-but-growing) factbook for accurate info.
Nachmere wrote:
Estovnia wrote:How else do we relive the glory days of WW2 without hull MGs

1) Heat a room in your house to 50 C
2) pour a gallon of petrol mixed with grease on yourself
3) having striped an office chair from its padding, sit in it
4) take a metal bucket, with holes cut out so you can just barely see something
5) have a friend or SO push you around the room, while sounding white noise on a speaker system
6) your assistant should also beat you over the bucket with a hammer once in a few seconds
7) he/she will than light you on fire

WWII tank crew simulator confirmed.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:39 pm

It's a 30 knot pre-dreadnought in 1920 weighing nothing. I think the issues should be self-evident.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Soo... too light and fast and guns are too big? I'm not familiar with ships, please bear with me if my numbers seem magical. Also it's mid to late '30s, after edit. :P
PT (1930's)
I do not use NS stats, see (mostly-empty-but-growing) factbook for accurate info.
Nachmere wrote:

5) have a friend or SO push you around the room, while sounding white noise on a speaker system
6) your assistant should also beat you over the bucket with a hammer once in a few seconds

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:58 pm

They tried putting a single big gun on a very light 4,700 ton hull. It heeled over as soon as the ship brought the gun to the side.
You need at least 12,000 tons to support four 12 inchers, and a speed of 30 knots. I suggest you start by looking at the Deutschland-class pocket battleships.

MT/MagicT

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:07 am

Gotcha. If I, say, increased displacement to ~14,500 tonnes, and reduced speed to ~22kn, would that be more reasonable?
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

The Solar Cooperative Union
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Cooperative Union » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:28 am

Are starships allowed in this fine thread?
Don't look at this

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 am

The Solar Cooperative Union wrote:Are starships allowed in this fine thread?

Technically yes, read the first post of this thread its there.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:23 am

I decided to size down the guns since I wasn't looking for a battleship-strength ship here. And of course tripled the displacement. Thinking about adding torpedoes as well, although they would probably replace the 100mm's on the sides. Any other tweaks I could do, or missing info that would be nice?
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:21 am

Girten Isle wrote:I decided to size down the guns since I wasn't looking for a battleship-strength ship here. And of course tripled the displacement. Thinking about adding torpedoes as well, although they would probably replace the 100mm's on the sides. Any other tweaks I could do, or missing info that would be nice?

The big question I have yet to ask is "What role do you envision this ship performing?" Deutschland-class pocket battleships were geared towards commerce raiding, which means heavy guns to sink anything lesser than it and power to get away from anything superior to it. Japanese cruisers, often in the same weight-class sported extensive torpedo batteries to give them an edge in long-range night fighting, to even the odds out for the eventual Decisive Battle their admirality envisioned. What role will your vessel assume?

MT/MagicT

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:21 pm

The best answer that I have for that very important question is " I'm not sure." I don't have any adversaries yet, so I don't have a specific threat in mind. I will, however, say that I envisioned this particular craft to play some sort of commercial/carrier escort role, potentially against ships the same size as or smaller than her.
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:01 pm

GIS Candid
Current pic and stats:
Candid-class Cruiser

Displacement: 11,000 tonnes
Compliment: 500 enlisted
30 officers

2x200mm double-gun
2x100mm double-gun
13x28mm quad-gun

2px:1m scale

I doubled the resolution for greater detail and easier viewing. Will probably keep scaling it up and improving as I go. I'll probably get around to doing a top view sometime as well.
Last edited by Girten Isle on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

Husseinarti
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Husseinarti » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Girten Isle wrote:GIS Candid
Current pic and stats:
(Image)
Candid-class Cruiser

30 officers

2x200mm double-gun
2x100mm double-gun
13x28mm quad-gun

I doubled the resolution for greater detail and easier viewing. Will probably keep scaling it up and improving as I go. I'll probably get around to doing a top view sometime as well.

this is really cool.

I've give it some more 100mm dual-purpose guns though.

Also I'd add some more details. But that would require a bigger scale.
Bash the fash, neopup the neo-cons, crotale the commies, and super entendard socialists

The Soodean Imperium
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soodean Imperium » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Girten Isle wrote:GIS Candid
Current pic and stats:
(Image)
Candid-class Cruiser

30 officers

2x200mm double-gun
2x100mm double-gun
13x28mm quad-gun

Actually, it looks like you may have taken ABH's comments a little too far; as it stands now, it's very over-weight and very under-gunned. Holding length constant, you can probably cut draft down to ~6.5 meters and beam down to ~20 for a displacement of closer to 11,000 tonnes with a typical heavy cruiser block coefficient of somewhere around 0.5. Armament for a heavy cruiser that size would be 8-10 200mm guns, with 4-8 100-130mm dual-purpose guns in turrets along the sides; torpedoes are optional.

For more information, I'd suggest looking at some real-life heavy cruisers, like the IJN's Mogami-class and the USN's Northampton-class, to get a better sense of what kind of armament and what kind of overall layout would be common for a cruiser in that era.
Last harmonized by Hu Jintao on Sat Mar 4, 2006 2:33pm, harmonized 8 times in total.

"In short, when we hastily attribute to aesthetic and inherited faculties the artistic nature of Athenian civilization, we are almost proceeding as did men in the Middle Ages, when fire was explained by phlogiston and the effects of opium by its soporific powers." --Emile Durkheim, 1895
Come join Septentrion!
ICly, this nation is now known as the Socialist Republic of Menghe (대멩 사회주의 궁화국, 大孟社會主義共和國). You can still call me Soode in OOC.

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Husseinarti wrote:
this is really cool.

I've give it some more 100mm dual-purpose guns though.

Also I'd add some more details. But that would require a bigger scale.

Thanks. :D And I do plan on greatly increasing the scale, making it this big simply made it easy for me to get a preliminary drawing down, and also took like five minutes. :P

The Soodean Imperium wrote:Actually, it looks like you may have taken ABH's comments a little too far; as it stands now, it's very over-weight and very under-gunned. Holding length constant, you can probably cut draft down to ~6.5 meters and beam down to ~20 for a displacement of closer to 11,000 tonnes with a typical heavy cruiser block coefficient of somewhere around 0.5. Armament for a heavy cruiser that size would be 8-10 200mm guns, with 4-8 100-130mm dual-purpose guns in turrets along the sides; torpedoes are optional.

For more information, I'd suggest looking at some real-life heavy cruisers, like the IJN's Mogami-class and the USN's Northampton-class, to get a better sense of what kind of armament and what kind of overall layout would be common for a cruiser in that era.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate any help I can get with regards to ships because I have very little actual knowledge of them. And expect a lot of jockeying around with stats, I'll probably go from low to high and back a lot until I get them how I like.
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:27 am

:Total superstructure/guns overhaul: :D

Candid-class Cruiser

Beam: 21m
Height: 39m
Draft: 7m
30 officers

8x200mm double-gun
8x100mm double-gun
12x28mm quad-gun

PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

The Soodean Imperium
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soodean Imperium » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 am

And now that we're on a past-tech theme, I might as well pull out the 1911 Dreadnought design I was working on before GREs happened.

Here's the wiki entry and statblock if anyone's interested.
Last harmonized by Hu Jintao on Sat Mar 4, 2006 2:33pm, harmonized 8 times in total.

"In short, when we hastily attribute to aesthetic and inherited faculties the artistic nature of Athenian civilization, we are almost proceeding as did men in the Middle Ages, when fire was explained by phlogiston and the effects of opium by its soporific powers." --Emile Durkheim, 1895
Come join Septentrion!
ICly, this nation is now known as the Socialist Republic of Menghe (대멩 사회주의 궁화국, 大孟社會主義共和國). You can still call me Soode in OOC.

Girten Isle
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Girten Isle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Last time shoving this in everyone's faces. Because I'm happy with it, finally. Until I feel the urge to up the resolution, which will happen very soon.
Candid-class Heavy Cruiser

Beam: 21m
Draft: 7m
Displacement: 11,000t
30 officers

8x203mm double-gun
8x102mm double-gun
2x530mm triple-torpedo
10x25mm quad-gun

And wow. I feel very inadequate now. XP
PT (1930's)
Nachmere wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information