NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of Your Country: Mod 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should be the OP of the next Main Military Weapons thread

Aqizithiuda
12%
Corda
38%
Kouralia
12%
Puzikas
39%

Total votes : 165

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Puzikas wrote:
It would make one hell of a mess.
from experience.

Russia: Like a video game, but in Russian.

Now thats funny.

Surprisingly, I got that from the US :lol:

Hot damn page topper.

Last edited by Puzikas on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Seeing as though the gas isn't propelling the shot after it leaves the shell, it can't have anywhere near the stopping power it should. Simple minded gangsters.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Puzikas wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
Russia: Like a video game, but in Russian.

Now thats funny.

Surprisingly, I got that from the US :lol:

Hot damn page topper.

Needs more bayonet.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Coltarin
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Coltarin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 pm

So I've been looking at some things and have discovered that my 6.8x45 is about the size of a AA battery.
Coltarin (AKA Colt)
Paintis Bulpupis

Puzikas wrote:"No gun? Fuck it , you're now Comrade Meat Shield" level.
Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?
Spreewerke wrote:Basically plainclothes, armed security on a plane. Terrorist starts boxcuttering? Shoot his ass. Passenger starts being a dickhole penisweiner? Arrest his ass. Stewardess walks by? Smack dat ass. People obviously see you? Lose your job as a federal employee and suffer a failing marriage while your children don't speak with you at home and, due to your newly-developed drinking problem, you also lose all custody rights of your children. Your life culminates with your self-immolation inside your one-bedroom trailer home.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Never realised before just how short a trench gun's receiver was.
What witchcraft allows that?
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Never realised before just how short a trench gun's receiver was.

The bolt exits the reciever;

Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Never realised before just how short a trench gun's receiver was.

I bet on a few occasions the bolt has literally exited the receiver and hit someones face. That reminds me of another shotgun, where the upp receiver flies backwards in a not-so-comforting manner. Can't remember it's name though.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Sevvania wrote:I've seen semi-auto conversions of the Lee-Enfield, the 1917 Enfield, Mausers, and Springfields. Were there any semi-auto conversions of the Mosin-Nagant?
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

As been said, magical bolt.

Mine is built like a god damned tank however, and with well over 2,000 rounds though it by myself the damned thing wont quit. I have had very few malfunctions with it, and it is over 100 years old.

Goodbye.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Puzikas wrote:

As been said, magical bolt.

Mine is built like a god damned tank however, and with well over 2,000 rounds though it by myself the damned thing wont quit. I have had very few malfunctions with it, and it is over 100 years old.

Trench guns run on the fuel of all the Germans they killed in WW1.

They get about one Fritz to the century.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Alimeria-
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alimeria- » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:

I bet on a few occasions the bolt has literally exited the receiver and hit someones face. That reminds me of another shotgun, where the upp receiver flies backwards in a not-so-comforting manner. Can't remember it's name though.

Sjögren Shotgun?
Steampunk Norsemen using bullpup rifles ftw

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm

And further development of the Leatherneck Tank;

Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Puzikas wrote:Please forgive the period of time it takes me to write this.

Hydrostatic shock is the principal that a projectile (read: bullet) of a very high rate of velocity and a smaller size is more terminal on a soft target than those of the slow and heavy variety. The good 9mm vs. .45ACP debate.

I will not say if I believe it or not; and I will not say you should all immediately change to one or the other. I will let my facts dictate your minds.

In Fluid Dynamics, Shock is defined as "Referring to an abrupt discontinuity in the flow field". Lost? Stay with me. It is caused by the coalescing of sound and pressure waves in the medium.
Still with me? Good.

Now, Hydrostatic shock is based upon the observation that a penetrating projectile is able to produce unforseen wounding effects, causing wounding and incapacitating, in a live target. This is due to an effect in our liquid filled tissues, as we are, mostly, water. There is evidence that suggests hemorrhaging effects are possible, if not a common occurrence. Neurological effects can be found as well. This wounding effect is due to a pressure wave that moves though our bodies, displacing and damaging organs and soft tissue, as well as blood vessels. These findings were first reported and affirmed in the late 1940s following studies from the second world war.

If the effect exists, typically wounds away from the wound channel would be present with these fast moving, light projectile struck s live target. Sure enough, they do. A study of 30 kills in Iraq showed a projectile moving at 2,500FPS+ (760M/s+) did indeed show wounding effects away from the projectiles path.

Im sorry this isn't in depth, but I'm still working.

Edit time.

What does this mean?

This means that a large, slow-moving bullet, while dealing large amount of soft tissue damage, as well as internal damage, may NOT be as effective on a soft target. There are rounds designed to kill by what is called a "yaw", basically the deformation and traveling of said deformed bullet. In a military application, this is moot, as they were deemed unlawful (Yes, laws in war) some time ago. In a lethal area they will kill, just as well as any fat mover, but in a non-lethal? They may not incapacitate/kill as quickly as a fast-moving, small projectile.

Now, that is not to say everyone should dun out and start developing a sniper rifle in 5.56x85 or something. A large round is JUST as effective. Though in terms of a main service rifle,he who carries more ammunition is better off than he who does not. And lets not forget in many cases these smaller, faster rounds do not offer as good as armor penetration as larger, heavier rounds (See: 5.45x39 versus 7.62x39).

Any major questions? I'm bored and slightly intoxicated, so I'm sorry if this makes no sense.

Goodbye.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Puzikas wrote:

Hydrostatic shock is the principal that a projectile (read: bullet) of a very high rate of velocity and a smaller size is more terminal on a soft target than those of the slow and heavy variety. The good 9mm vs. .45ACP debate.

I will not say if I believe it or not; and I will not say you should all immediately change to one or the other. I will let my facts dictate your minds.

In Fluid Dynamics, Shock is defined as "Referring to an abrupt discontinuity in the flow field". Lost? Stay with me. It is caused by the coalescing of sound and pressure waves in the medium.
Still with me? Good.

Now, Hydrostatic shock is based upon the observation that a penetrating projectile is able to produce unforseen wounding effects, causing wounding and incapacitating, in a live target. This is due to an effect in our liquid filled tissues, as we are, mostly, water. There is evidence that suggests hemorrhaging effects are possible, if not a common occurrence. Neurological effects can be found as well. This wounding effect is due to a pressure wave that moves though our bodies, displacing and damaging organs and soft tissue, as well as blood vessels. These findings were first reported and affirmed in the late 1940s following studies from the second world war.

If the effect exists, typically wounds away from the wound channel would be present with these fast moving, light projectile struck s live target. Sure enough, they do. A study of 30 kills in Iraq showed a projectile moving at 2,500FPS+ (760M/s+) did indeed show wounding effects away from the projectiles path.

Edit time.

What does this mean?

This means that a large, slow-moving bullet, while dealing large amount of soft tissue damage, as well as internal damage, may NOT be as effective on a soft target. There are rounds designed to kill by what is called a "yaw", basically the deformation and traveling of said deformed bullet. In a military application, this is moot, as they were deemed unlawful (Yes, laws in war) some time ago. In a lethal area they will kill, just as well as any fat mover, but in a non-lethal? They may not incapacitate/kill as quickly as a fast-moving, small projectile.

Now, that is not to say everyone should dun out and start developing a sniper rifle in 5.56x85 or something. A large round is JUST as effective. Though in terms of a main service rifle,he who carries more ammunition is better off than he who does not. And lets not forget in many cases these smaller, faster rounds do not offer as good as armor penetration as larger, heavier rounds (See: 5.45x39 versus 7.62x39).

Any major questions? I'm bored and slightly intoxicated, so I'm sorry if this makes no sense.

Would this apply to pistols?

If so, the 8mm Cordian would probably be more effective than the 10mm Auto, since it has all the power and base diameter, necked down to a smaller round.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:39 pm

The theorys first and foremost application is generally applied to pistols.

But there is something to keep in mind; if your round is too fast, it will penetrate right through and wont deliver the energy dump. If it is to small in diameter, it wont do enough damage.

Goodbye.

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Puzikas wrote:

Still with me? Good.

Edit time.

What does this mean?

So a 7.8mm bullet travelling as fast as a 5.56 NATO would be the be all end all for main service rounds?
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm

By that logic 7.62TT is better than 9mm para since they both use the same casing but TT is necked down to 7.62. I like.

Also, why is penetration considered as a bad thing? After all if a human body takes X J to penetrate and my bullet penetrated all the way through I know I delivered at least X+1 J. By comparison if it does not I know I delivered <X J. So ain't penetrating better?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Benomia wrote:
Puzikas wrote:
Edit time.

What does this mean?

So a 7.8mm bullet travelling as fast as a 5.56 NATO would be the be all end all for main service rounds?

No. A 7mm bullet travelling as fast or faster is the be all end all. Get above 7mm, and your ballistic coefficient starts to drop unless you compensate with more powder (and thus more recoil and round size)
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Puzikas wrote:The theorys first and foremost application is generally applied to pistols.

But there is something to keep in mind; if your round is too fast, it will penetrate right through and wont deliver the energy dump. If it is to small in diameter, it wont do enough damage.

What if Terra Firma never had a ban on expanding rounds?
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Puzikas wrote:The theorys first and foremost application is generally applied to pistols.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:49 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:

Fuck. That. Shit.

There's really no reason for it, since they're no less humane than FMJ rounds.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:49 pm

I newer understood why anyone would ban any sort of weapon. Seriously war is about butchering the other guy. There is no point in pretending to be civil while doing it. That's about as pointless as having your officers walk out of the trenches and perform gentlemen duels while the rest of the army fights as normal.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Purpelia wrote:By that logic 7.62TT is better than 9mm para since they both use the same casing but TT is necked down to 7.62. I like.

Also, why is penetration considered as a bad thing? After all if a human body takes X J to penetrate and my bullet penetrated all the way through I know I delivered at least X+1 J. By comparison if it does not I know I delivered <X J. So ain't penetrating better?

OVER penetration is not. Penetration, as per the FBI, is optimal at at least 300mm. That is what they call the minimum for a weapon suitable for service.

And truthfully, that's part of the reason some of us who study this closely consider it a theory. Though 7.62x25 is very effective, so is the 7N series of 9x19 rounds, as well as 9mm+P+. Both are really very good, though for overall in a military I would take 9x19 7N family OR an 7.62x25 load.

@Beno
You are, in a way, correct. Though the round would be very large and heavy to accommodate such effect, and may possibly over penetrate. As a result, it will live in theory for some time. And there is also ballistic coefficient, though that can be circumvented by very skilled gunsmiths and experts in aerodynamics; something none of us are, im sure.

Nua Corda wrote:

Afraid it isn't feasible as small arms development would stem off in a totally new direction; and all our ideas and designs would be moot as we all raced to develop rounds made of frangable materials with rounds inside them.

Also, as someone who has seen what particular rounds do to people, I can honestly say that warfare would have reach a point where they would generally be so brutal that warfare as a whole would want to be avoided at all costs.
Last edited by Puzikas on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Purpelia wrote:I newer understood why anyone would ban any sort of weapon. Seriously war is about butchering the other guy. There is no point in pretending to be civil while doing it. That's about as pointless as having your officers walk out of the trenches and perform gentlemen duels while the rest of the army fights as normal.

Because trying to maintain a degree of civility, even in war, is what seperates society from savages. People who don't try to maintain this civility are generally demonized in the end.
Last edited by Sevvania on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Benomia wrote:

No. A 7mm bullet travelling as fast or faster is the be all end all. Get above 7mm, and your ballistic coefficient starts to drop unless you compensate with more powder (and thus more recoil and round size)

Well, it is a large round and has a lot of powder.
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information