NATION

PASSWORD

Esquarium Today [Regional News, CLOSED]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Namor
Minister

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:29 pm

President-General Fu proposes closing community colleges
February 7, NMR 2374

Capital Community College in Namo
NAMO, CAPITAL DISTRICT - President-General Fu said he wants to close all community colleges nationwide, citing their lack of attractiveness and unpopularity among Namorese.

Community colleges are tertiary-level schools that are subsidized by district or autonomous republic governments. Most students who graduate secondary school advance to go to private universities, but some attend community colleges because of their extremely low, near zero costs. Despite this, community colleges are not a favorite destination due to their perceived lower quality of education.

"Let's face it - our youth want an education that will satisfy their needs in life. They want to get ahead in international competition and they're constantly pushing and challenging themselves. And that is a good thing, no doubt. Because of this, we are seeing many Namorese becoming academically excellent people and entering universities nationwide," Fu said. "Few of them are going to end up in government-subsidized community colleges. We've entered a new age and I don't think these colleges are necessary anymore.

"It is true, community colleges offer a low cost-education, but they are becoming more obsolete," he said. "Instead of reserving our money for these institutions, we should be diverting them to encourage every student to achieve a high academic record, and, in effect, a successful life. Here is a question I want you to consider - should we uphold an institution that is not popular, or should we help people pursue their dreams?"

Fu says he plans on closing all community colleges in Namor by two academic years from now; in the beginning of the third academic year nationwide, secondary school graduates may no longer apply to enter community colleges. Those who are continuing community college may have the choice of leaving tertiary school altogether or transfer to a private university, depending on the economic situation.

So far, it seems like this plan is not gaining much opposition in the Central Council, still dominated by the New Democratic Party.

"Honestly, there really is no practical reason for community colleges to be around," said Shohai Antelope, leader of the Liberationist Party. "They were meant to provide low-cost education, but that was back then when more people didn't have a high standard of living as most do now. But at the same time, I'm concerned about the high tuition for private universities. Certainly the government should work to make university more affordable, but I don't see the President-General doing that."

A study showed that less than 2% of secondary school graduates who move on to tertiary schools attend community college.

COMMENTS
Chiang Yun
Close community colleges everywhere. They're hideous places where nobody wants to go to, and I don't see any reason for the government to keep pouring money into them. 86 12

Bo Kuo
Fu is right. Community college is a demoralizing thing, it shouldn't exist in a country where every day in school is a fierce competition. 33 2

Jing Ming
Community college is thing of the past. 8 4

Other News
  • FM: Otekian separatist petition "melodramatic stunt" - Shen Wuhong said "the so-called Letter of Millions is a brilliant manifesto that's really uplifting, especially if one isn't aware of the actual facts."
  • Truck driver arrested after beating up taxicab driver in road rage incident - Mojing police say the driver was angry that the taxi was tailgating him.
  • Atlantica raises minimum wage - Atlantica's referendum ended in a majority of voters supporting a raise in the country's minimum wage.
NMR-free since August 2017!

The Ocelot Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ocelot Isles » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:50 pm

The Ocelot Isles, Struggling to Rebuild After the Generalissimo
A bombed and collapsed office in Kongeuvia

! Notice ! The Ocelotian Gazette site has just been re-launched after revamping from the former Generalissimo Daily format. Please notify the staff of any bugs or problems uncovered after the launch.

As civilians all over the Ocelot Isles are celebrating the fall of the junta, many are also taking the time to ask themselves and others about the future of the country.

Firstly, we have the Ocelot Isles Reabsorption Referenda of 2015. There is the "referenda" instead of "referendum" because both the Ocelot Isles and Pavonistade will be voting in their own referendum. The Ocelotians will decide if they want to be annexed, and the pavonistadians will decide if they want to annex the Ocelot Isles. This referenda has been approved by the former Ocelotian government-in-exile, which now operates in our capital again, and because the announcement for it was made suddenly people will be able to vote voluntarily for the first time. To put it in another way, citizens will not be required to vote and they will not be penalized if they do not vote.

"I seriously hope that this passes, so that we will not have to deal with another conflict," a teenage interviewee told the Ocelotian Gazette. "We're just so sick of warring inside and outside of our country, and we're so tired of the government and armed police being incapable of handling instability, that we want to hand over that responsibility to the Pavonistadians. That's what we want---that's what I want." Not everyone is in agreement with what the interviewee stated. A farmer in central Western Ocelot Island, who was mostly untouched by the Third Ocelotian-Pavonistadian War, said, "It's hypocrisy when we all vote to become independent in OIIR 2014 and then when we all vote to become annexed in OIRR 2015. Our sovereignty is granted and then it's stripped from us. Let's not choose that way, shall we?"

Secondly, as our government adjusts to the pre-coup systems we have brought back the occupation of Governor-Presidency. Our interim Governor-President is James Adelaide, who revealed himself to be alive three days after the Third Ocelotian-Pavonistadian War began. The Ocelotian Administration had set him as the current leader until all has been reorganized. "The government is still trying to determine if there shall be an election to select the next Governor-President," Adelaide announced, "and as we are doing to the best of our ability to reset the country, I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with you all." Some chuckle followed Adelaide's speech.

Thirdly, the infrastructure of the Ocelot Isles remain in critical condition. Damages from the Second Ocelotian-Pavonistadian War are relatively unaddressed despite the government's and public's best efforts, and they are made even worse by the armed police and the invading coalition forces. Because of the infrastructural destruction that can be found across the country, people have noticed problematic issues with public transportation, routes and canals, telecommunications, and other services that were not so damaged in the previous decade. "You can see one of the bridges that was destroyed during the second war [with the Pavonistadians]," an elderly woman told our journalists, "and one year later they are still there, lying on the grassy grounds or sunken by the river."

A far greater problem, perhaps, is with the economy; the fourth quarter (October 1 to December 31, 2014) had seen the economy contracting by 2% following puny growths of around 0.1%, and it is expected that the Ocelot Isles will sink into recession fairly soon. "Our services are cut off, our economy is damaged, and our country is slowly being torn apart," Adelaide sternly alerted. "That is why we have to be committed for as long as possible to repair our infrastructure and to prevent our standards from worsening further."

These are some of the major issues that will be confronting the Ocelot Isles in the very near future, and for the first and third situation there are indeed no easy answers.
Last edited by The Ocelot Isles on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Demonym: Ocelotian
Independent from PAVONISTADE

Greonterp
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greonterp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Anna Sørensen discusses Vestmark, Nevanmaa.

ImagePM Anna Sørensen, who is from Vestmark, discussed her home country.

Boswald - Prime Minister Anna Sørensen was born in Vestmark, where she lived until the age of 18.

In recent weeks, Vestmark has received some international criticism for their perceived selfishness, jingoism, and "lack of concern for the environment." A recent investigation showed that a Vestmarkian company dumped nuclear waste into the North Sea, and it has also been revealed that some Vestmarkians enjoy clubbing puffins.

Numerous media organizations have asked Sørensen about her home country and the negative media attention it's received.

"I spent the first eighteen years of my life in Vestmark. My mother died, and my dad was an abusive fisherman. It wasn't a pleasant life," said Sørensen. "But, despite my bad upbringing in Vestmark, I'm still proud of my birth country. So, you can imagine the disappointment I feel when I see that Vestmark has become even more nationalistic and environmentally unaware since I've left. The media is trying to paint the country as a country unconcerned with Esquarium, and part of me agrees with what the media is doing. I'm proud to be from Vestmark, but I can't say I am happy about what my birth country is doing."

In the same interview, Sørensen also talked about the time she spent abroad on Nevanmaa and Namor. Sørensen lived in both countries for brief periods of time. At the age of 20, she spent a year in Nevanmaa, and at the age of 25, she got a teaching job in Namor, where she worked for eight months.

"I also have strong connections to Nevanmaa and Namor", she said. "I lived in both countries for about a year, and I'm fluent in Nevan, and my knowledge of Namorese
is decent. I wish the best for the people in both countries, I really do. That's why it saddens me to see that the both governments have major flaws. Nevans are actually quite friendly, and most of them seem to not like the racial laws. That's why it saddens me to see that their government is oppressive and horribly racist. People criticized me for my very blunt remarks about Nevanmaa, and the reason I made those remarks is because I have strong feelings towards the place."

Sørensen's remarks about her life in various countries came under fire on some social media sites, as some people criticized her for being "hardly Greonlian." She responded to this by making a joke.

"In Greonterp, there is an old saying. The saying says that if you're sarcastic, stubborn, and stoned, you're probably a Greonlian. If that saying is true, then I'm definitely Greonlian," said PM Anna Sørensen.
Kingdom of Greonterp

RP Puppet of Fortschritte
Moderate Centre Rightist, Neoliberal, Socially Liberal, Pro-LGBT

Vestmarck
Secretary

Founded: Jan 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vestmarck » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Your window to Vestmark
Kà2.50 | 4th February 2015 | Gründholt | International Edition

School Shooting in Vestmark Sparks Controversy Over Guns

Sandur The largest school shooting to happen in Vestmark since 2006 had happened today in a small elementary school in Sandur, reporters say. Eriksson Elementary School, a small elementary school of 400 children, had been shaken today as an upperclassman of age 14 had shot and killed 5 kindergarteners and wounded many others. Many are in critical condition.

Related: Grieving Families Give Up All Guns

The upperclassman, Aldar Vikarsson, had taken a 16 inch pistol this morning at 9:24 am and shot and killed 5 kindergarteners whose names are not being released to the public due to courtesy of the grieving families. Police are unable to find a motive for the subject, who is currently detained in Sandur Detention Center. Nor has any information been released about how the subject attained the weapon in the first place.

One student had recalled the chaos. “It was so confusing. We heard some popping and then kids everywhere started to run around.” The anonymous student said he hid in a locker until the scuttle was over.

Christian Peoples Party PM Sven Edvardsson has publicly supported the grieving parents of the tragedy. “This should have never happened.” Edvardsson said. “We should tighten regulations to make sure they do not get into the arms of children.” This statement has sparked controversy, particularly earning Edvardsson the ire of Liberal Democrat opposition leaders. Gun ownership is valued highly in Vestmark and Vestmark has some of the highest gun ownership rates in Esquarium.

Related: Liberal Democratic senator calls to “arm teachers, staff” over school shooting.

The school will be closed the following week, the district superintendent had announced Friday evening.

-Helga Elísdottir
Last edited by Vestmarck on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Senator of the Golden Civics in the Nationstates Senate. Join here!
The Kingdom of Vestmark
Roleplaying puppet of The Liberated Territories.

Qianrong
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Qianrong » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 pm

茜蓉中央通訊社 | Qiànróng Zhōngyāng Tōngxùnshè
觀龍通擯中坱 | Quan Rồng Thông tấn Trung ương
કન્રોન ગીત્નંગ બલીતા અહેન્સીયા | Kanron Gitnang Balita Ahensiya
Qianrong Central News Agency

Otekian Qianrongese protest against the FDRQ's refusal to condemn the murder of ethnic Otekian Feliks Oleg by a Kannei Namorese policeman in September 2014

ASQ ATTACKS, # KILLED
XIANGMEN 10/15/14- 113
SHANLIANG 10/15/14- 96
THONG NHAT 10/21/14- 71
PINGYUAN 7/7/14- 69
RONGYAO 11/9/14- 66
XIANGZHOU 7/21/14- 65
ZUIZHONG 7/21/14- 59
HAI NANG 6/3/14- 58
DEPENGULANG 6/30/14- 53
ANGKAPALARAN 10/21/14- 52
LUMANGDAUNGAN 10/15/14- 47
CAIFAN 10/21/14- 45
YUCHENG 11/9/14- 41
PHIEN NH6/17/14- 39
HUALI 6/5/14- 36
VINH QUANG 10/20/14- 34
JUNGZHENG 7/11/14- 31
SHANLIANG 8/12/14- 27
SEONGYUN 10/20/14- 25
KHONG LAI 6/20/14- 24
MENGTIAN 10/20/14- 23
DANH DAP 10/15/14- 21
OPINION: THE ARGUMENT AGAINST OTEKIAN INDEPENDENCE- AND WHY IT'S WRONG
by PROF. HRYVEL AVRAMYKOV, UNIV. HAI NANG - FEBRUARY 9 2015
FRONTIERSBURG, LUZIYCA - The list of signatories to what was originally a solely-Geadish letter continues to grow. Qianrongese, Luziycan, Scotian, Katranjian, and Carolinian notables have now all added their names to the open letter to Namorese President-General Fu Wen, whose government first tried to ignore it and then tried to dismiss it as a "melodramatic stunt". As what has become known as the Letter of Millions continues to draw attention and controversy across Esquarium, attention has again returned to the plight of the Otekian people as Namorese occupation of the Otekian region continues. Much of the debate at present, however, is focused solely around the Letter of Millions itself- as exemplified by the recent dueling editorials between Namor's the Liberator and Luziyca's the Constitution. However, it's important that we don't lose sight of why the Letter of Millions was sent to Fu Wen in the first place: to call for a change in the treatment of the Otekian people.

While the Namorese government and the Txotai regime may insist that their rule over Oteki is wholly legitimate- indeed, Namorese foreign minister Shen Wuhong said that the Letter of Millions was "a brilliant manifesto that's really uplifting, especially if you're unaware of the facts"- I say that any examination of the evidence must inevitably lead one to the opposite conclusion: that Oteki is rightfully an independent nation presently under Namorese occupation, and that the Otekian people have been subjected to demographic manipulation and political repression since the Namorese Liberation Army marched into Gusev on one Christmas Day. Below you will see the arguments most commonly used by the supporters of Namorese rule over Oteki, and the arguments against them that refute and disprove them.

Because Namor tends to arrest people who don't agree with them on Oteki, and because groups and individuals that disagree are prone to be jailed if they're in Namor and sued if they're not, there will be some areas where we lack specifics and statistics. There will also be citations of what Namorese people have said, which the Namorese government has tried to say are irrelevant even though we're talking about a nation that's ostensibly democratic. I will also be making comparisons to other incidents and regions, because we all know that history is doomed to repeat itself. Ultimately, all this evidence paints a picture of abusive and illegitimate Namorese rule fostered by imperialism and racism, hiding its injustices and oppression behind a few token appointments and programs that don't even help Otekians.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to go through every argument that the advocates of Namorese rule over Oteki have made. There are simply too many. The ones below are simply the ones that are most commonly used by these individuals and groups, and are generally the pillars of their arguments. The arguments not on here are not on here because I do not have the time to demolish them, not because I am unable to demolish them.

So, without further ado, let's begin this process of refutation, shall we?

Namor is a Nation of Nations, and the Otekians are viewed as a brother member of this nation by the Kannei.

Many nations claim to be Nations of Nations- one nation composed of numerous ethnic groups, all living together under one government. Namor is the most famous, of course, and they quite enjoy bringing this up whenever Oteki returns to the headlines. They maintain that the Otekians are part of this Nation of Nations, living alongside the Kannei, Antelopians, Thalassans, Choreans, Khao, and other Namorese ethnic groups in peace and harmony. They refer to the Namorese invasion of the Second Republic of Oteki as a "pacification" or "reunification", as though they had been reunited with a brother after a period of extended separation.

While that's a very pretty image, it really isn't true. First off, these Nations of Nations- Namor and all the others- tend to be dominated by one ethnicity that in essence rules over all the others. In Namor's case, this is the Kannei, who rule over all the other ethnicities. These other ethnicities may or may not want to be part of the Nation of Nations- indeed, in many cases they attempt to get autonomy, devolution, or outright independence- but are instead forced to go along.

It's also worth noting that many Kannei have expressed racism towards ethnic Otekians. Here I have to refute the concept that directly quoting things Namorese citizens have said is somehow non-representative of what Namorese citizens think. First off, the concept that what Namorese citizens say cannot be used to determine what Namorese citizens think should be so absolutely ridiculous that it shouldn't even be made. Unfortunately, many Namorese have tried to make this argument somehow. In fact, I would say that internet comments are the purest form of free speech. In real life, your name and face are attached to anything you say, meaning you have to face the consequences of being deliberately inflammatory. By contrast, on the internet you can create a pseudonym and find a random picture of some person and post things without fear of retribution. On the internet, as they say, no one knows you're a dog. So I would argue that what Namorese citizens say online is not only representative of Namorese citizens but also more representative than in-person interviews where there is no barrier of anonymity.

Now, the actual examples can be found at any point where there was unrest in Oteki over abusive Namorese rule or any possibility that Otekian terrorists had attacked Namor. Use of terms like "whities", "savages", and "damn Slavs" pop up unnervingly frequently, as do references to some hypothetical massive Luziycan conspiracy. "The Otekians were behind these attacks and this is only because our government is unwilling to eradicate these scum. Isn't Namo just too tolerant of these whities?", one Namorese citizen asked on the website for Namorese state media source PTH in the wake of the Knights of the Blessed Sapphire attacks in Namo. "Slavic CIA-backed traitors, of COURSE it has to be you," another added. "If you hate us so much, move out of Namor and go to your real oteki, avici hell!" Only a few people brought up the fact that the targeting of the Michillians and Odissian embassies made the Knights of the Blessed Sapphire feasible suspects. The possibility of an attack by followers of cultist She Jiao, made to avenge the imprisonment of the cult leader following a series of has attacks tied to She Jiao's cult, wasn't even mentioned. Instead, Asiatic Namorese commenters online immediately jumped the conclusion that Otekians were responsible. That alone shows a deep-seated prejudicial bigotry, if not outright Otekiphobia. And if we continue to admit that the things Namorese people say reflect what Namorese people think, then further demographic manipulation of the Otekians is also popular in Namor: "These damn Slavs had some decades to ruin Txotai," one Namorese citizen said following the decision that let Chiang Vei get away with the murder of Feliks Oleg, "and what we should we doing is shoving eviction orders up their asses." Another stated that "[Otekians are] not real protesters, they're CIA agents and lazy savages." If you view an entire ethnicity as prone to terrorism and inherently savage, you qualify as extremely prejudiced and intensely bigoted.

The Namorese are also intensely disrespectful to Lutheran Catholicism, the religion of most Otekians. The last Patriarch of Gusev to live in Gusev was executed by Namor and the Lutheran Catholic Church was considered to be a terrorist group in Namor for an extended period of time. More recently, PTH articles have boasted about now Namorese secularist policy has led to the severe decline of Lutheran Catholicism in Namor, with PTH gleefully estimating that Lutheran Catholicism would be eradicated in Namor before the end of the century. That does not strike me as religious freedom or the protection of Otekian culture.

Further evidence for Namorese Otekiphobia is evident in the way that Otekians are treated by Namor and the Txotai AR, the way they respond to issues in Oteki, and even by their own arguments. After all, we can all agree that the People's Republic is at least reflective of the wills of its Kannei, Khao, Antelopian, Chorean, and other Asiatic inhabitants. We, however, will be addressing the specific abuses in later refutations. And as it turns out, Namor has done a lot of wrong in Oteki.

The First Republic of Oteki signed the Treaty of Peaceful Accession, which made Oteki Namorese territory.

The argument against the Treaty of Peaceful Accession is very similar to the argument the argument that the Namorese make against the Treaty of Tatra, which gave Luziyca control of the Nantai region. The argument centers around the concept of the "unequal treaty". In essence, an unequal treaty is a treaty that is thrust upon a weaker party by the stronger party, usually through threats. An example that the Namorese like to bring up is the aforementioned Treaty of Tatra, which Namor says is illegitimate because Luziyca forced Namor to sign it under duress. Let me summarize the history: in 1897, the Christian Republic of Luziyca invaded Antelopian Dynasty Namor. The far stronger Christian Republic easily defeated the ailing Antelopian government in the Battle of Kenyen and Battle of Myssa. In 1899, the victorious Luziycans forced the Namorese to sign the Treaty of Tatra lest Luziyca push farther into Namor. The Treaty of Tatra did two things. First, it reunited Oteki with the former Duchy of York, which ruled Oteki before Namor first seized it. Secondly, it forced Namor to give Nantai to Luziyca, even though Nantai- unlike Oteki- had no historical relation with Luziyca whatsoever. Namor says that the fact that Tatra was an unfair treaty is grounds for them to reclaim the Nantai region- which I would say is by no means an unreasonable argument.

The Treaty of Peaceful Accession, however, is an example of an unequal treaty that Namor does not like to being up. In 1950, Namorese troops and Liberationist militias invaded Oteki, defeating the Otekians at Lagania and forcing them to retreat to Gusev. They then forced a representative for the Otekians, Anastas Artydom, to sign the Treaty of Peaceful Accession. This dissolved the First Republic of Oteki and began a period of Namorese occupation over Oteki. After the signing, however, questions were raised. The "negotiations" over the treaty were for all intents infinitesimally brief. They had only gone as long as they had because Otekian president Borislav Grigoriy had died in a plane crash en route to Namor. Artydom then admitted that he had been forced to sign the Treaty. Artydom explained that Namorese revolutionary-turned-autocrat Yunglang Antelope had told Artydom that he "really had no choice," threatening to resume the Namorese Liberation Army assault on Oteki while holding Artydom and his delegation hostage. In short, Yunglang essentially held a gun to Artydom's head and told him to cooperate if he wanted to ever see his family again. Furthermore, the treaty was massively beneficial to Namor and massively detrimental to Oteki, which is another hallmark of the unequal treaty.

In short, if we are to recognize the Treaty of Peaceful Accession as legitimizing Namorese rule over Oteki, then we must recognize the Treaty of Tatra as legitimizing Luziycan rule over Nantai. Conversely, if we say that the Treaty of Tatra's status as an unequal treaty makes Luziycan rule over Nantai illegitimate, then we must also say that the Treaty of Peaceful Accession's status as an unequal treaty makes Namorese rule over Oteki illegitimate. There's no two ways about it; Namor can either say that unequal treaties are not legally binding and thus regain control of Nantai but end their rule over Oteki, or that they are indeed legally binding and keep Oteki but lose the Nantai region. Of the two, Nantai certainly has a better claim to being rightfully Namorese than Oteki. Unfortunately, Namor will probably try to have its cake and eat it too, which will only highlight their hypocrisy to the world.

Namor held a referendum in which a majority of Otekians expressed support for Namorese rule.

This argument assumes that no government has ever rigged any election of referendum. Let's look at an area where the People's Republic of Namor is afraid elections will be rigged: the Ocelot Isles. Namor- like many other countries- is worried that Pavonistadian military presence in the Ocelotian Isles will intimidate the Ocelotian people into voting for a reoccupation by Pavonistade that they don't actually want. This is, of course, a reasonable fear; men with guns tend to be used by people who want to fix votes almost everywhere.

But what evidence do I have that the Oteki referendum was rigged, or at least questionably representative? Well, let's compare it to OIIR 2015. First off, the polling stations were undoubtedly guarded by Namorese troops. This is because Knights of Saint Luther terrorist leader Breuvi Chikmurdof had hinted that his terror group would be attacking them, warning Otekians to avoid polling places. While no attacks materialized, it would be insane to maintain that Namor did not take his threats seriously. This means that there were armed police- if not NLA soldiers- surrounding polling places. In fact, Namorese officials could very well have realized the fact that they had a legitimate reason to station soldiers at polling stations and thus possibly intimidate voters. This would be incredibly intimidating to any Otekian voting a referendum- a potentially lethal reminder to prove their loyalty to Namo.

This segues nicely into the next point, which is why Otekians would be afraid of voting the "wrong way". In the 1990, 2014, and 2015 referendums in the Ocelot Isles, voting for independence was an option on the ballot and not a criminal action. In fact, many of the referendums were conducted under partial or total Ocelotian authority. In the upcoming 2015 referendum in the Ocelot Isles, the Isles will be under the interim authority of James Adelaide, a noted Ocelotian separatist. And in all three Ocelotian referendums, independence is on the ballot. By contrast, independence wasn't an option in the Oteki referendum, meaning those in favor of independence wouldn't be able to vote for it. An entire option being left off automatically makes the referendum suspect. And in Pavonistade and the Ocelot Isles, supporting Ocelotian independence isn't a criminal act. By contrast, supporting Otekian independence is a crime in Namor, and a very strictly enforced one. Otekians might decide that they didn't want to become listed as potential Nanniwan detainees by speaking out, which would undoubtedly make the referendum nonrepresentative.

Even ignoring all of this, though, it's entirely possible that Otekians were simply voting for the lesser of two evils. If I give you a choice between eating a bug and eating ten bugs, you are probably going to eat one bug instead of ten. It might similarly be argued that the Otekians in occupied Oteki only voted for the Autonomous Republic because it wasn't as bad staying part of Thalassa. That doesn't mean it was the good option, just the less bad option. To make another analogy, smoking is worse for you than vaping. That doesn't make vaping good for you; it doesn't mean you should vape; it just means that vaping will do you less harm than smoking. The Otekians who voted for the Txotai AR probably voted for it because supporting independence was not an option and because it was better than staying in Thalassa. They still probably viewed it as a bad choice.

Another thing casting suspicion on the referendum is Namor's refusal to let Luziycan or Otekian observers monitor for fraud. Instead, only people from places that like Namor were allowed to monitor the referendum. In essence, they stacked the jury with yes-men. Even better, the reasons given were ridiculous. The Otekians, of course, were banned because of Namor's politically repressive Anti-Secession Law. It's the reason Luziycan officials were forbidden from monitoring that's outright laughable. Namor initially offered to let Luziyca send observers, but then refused on the grounds that it might "skew the referendum to unacceptable extremes." The concept that Luziycan observers would lead to a rigged referendum is ludicrous. If you want me to believe that a referendum is fair, then you should get a seal of approval from not only the people who like you but also the people who dislike you. That way, I know that the statement is truthful and unbiased. By contrast, if only the people you like are allowed to see the referendum, you're probably trying to hide something. After all, your friends aren't going to say that there's rigging if the vote is fixed; they're going to say it was free and fair and wholly legitimate. Even more suspicious is the use of the phrase "skew... to unacceptable extremes." That suggests that there was a reasonable extreme that the referendum could be skewed to. Undoubtedly that extreme was the extreme that Namor wanted.

There was no Namorese attempt to force Otekians out of Oteki and move Kannei Namorese into the region.

The now-infamous maps showing the change
in Otekian demographics between 1950 and
2015. The maps show an obvious growth in
the number of Kannei living in Oteki and a
serious reduction of the majority-Otekian
area. Despite attempts by the Namorese
government and media to discredit the
maps, they remain a potent visualization
of Namor's demographic manipulation
policy.
This one is so blatantly false that it's honestly surprising to see people try and use it. Namor's own census information shows that the number of Otekians in Oteki has dropped significantly as the number of Kannei in the region sharply rose and the Geadish population remained roughly constant. In 1950, Oteki was 80% Otekian, 20% Kannei, and 10% Geadish. In 2015, Oteki is 35% Otekian, 55% Kannei, and 10% Geadish. It's not as though that 35% increase in Kannei population is because they just spontaneously popped into existence- they had to come from somewhere. And while many Otekians fled Oteki after the Namorese conquest, the number of exiled Otekians doesn't match the drop in Oteki's Otekian population. In theory, the Kannei might have simply had a significantly larger number of children than the Otekians over the past 65 years, but that doesn't make sense either because the percentage of Geads in Oteki remained about the same. If the Kannei were simply out-birthing the Otekians and Geads, then there should have been a corresponding drop in both the Otekian and Geadish percentages. But there is no corresponding drop in the Geads- only in the Otekians. And while part of that can be explained by the flight and expulsion of four million Otekians from their homeland, even that doesn't account for all of it.

Geadish political writer Simon Josef Bloom summarizes how demographic manipulation works simply and truthfully: "It begins with a town that was 95% Otekian at the time Namor reconquered Oteki in 1970. Many Otekians who held positions in the government of the Second Republic of Oteki flee to other country, fearing Namor will take revenge against them. Bright young people also move away for a better life. They leave behind a lot of unoccupied houses, especially the better quality houses, so what better for Namor than to invite their own loyal citizens to travel across the country and go live there? Suddenly, this town has a sizable Kannei population. The Kannei and Otekians don't trust each other. Racial tensions are high and discrimination is practiced by both sides. The Otekians find themselves shouldered with worse jobs and houses. Fed up with this, many leave for the more Otekian parts of the region, paving the way for more Kannei settlers. Eventually, this town will have a Kannei majority."

Bloom also elegantly explains why Namor would want to make Oteki a Kannei region: "Some of these trends would have probably happened without encouragement. But it was always in the interest of the Namorese to flood Oteki with Kannei settlers. Doing so would ensure that the majority of the region's citizens would be opposed to Otekian independence. Thus the Namorese government will tell anyone that the majority of residents of the Oteki region are opposed to a secession. That's correct - but only because of an implanted Kannei population that didn't used to be there."

In fact, this demographic manipulation program even has a formal name and a non-malicious smokescreen: it's called Northern Development, and was proposed by Gelai Antelope ostensibly to improve the economy of northern Namor. Which leads to our next point...

Allegations of demographic manipulation are false because Northern Development affected other areas.

There's a type of computer virus known as a Trojan Horse computer virus. The virus works thusly: the creator of the computer virus disguises it within a more appealing program. He might make it a cursor editor, or a free game, or a word editor, or any number of other things. Oftentimes, this decoy program is legitimately useful and enjoyable. But suddenly, your credit card company calls you to ask what you're doing in a suburb of Plavagrad giving your credit card number to Kofeiyan princes and Kraqi boner pill spammers. That's a Trojan Horse computer virus: a toxic payload hidden inside an appealing and often useful package.

Put simply, Gelai Antelope's Northern Development plan was a massive political Trojan Horse, except that instead of stealing your financial information, Gelai sought to make the Otekians a minority in their own home. The big appealing non-threatening package is the Northern Development plan as we know it: encourage people in the economically prosperous south of Namor to move to and do business in the north, in Thalassa and other northern regions of Namor aside from Oteki. And like many Trojan Horses, this appealing package was legitimately useful when it came to building up the economy of northern Namor. Unfortunately, like every Trojan Horse, there's a dark side. Call it ethnic cleansing, call it demographic manipulation, call it whatever you want, but that dark side is the fact that half of Otekians live outside of Oteki and the half that still live in Oteki are an oppressed minority in their own homeland.

The argument against this is that surely Gelai Antelope wouldn't do something like that, or that he didn't predict this demographic manipulation problem. The first part is ridiculous. Gelai Antelope was a politician, people. Politicians are by their very nature always looking to increase their power at the expense of others. It's wholly feasible that a politician like Gelai Antelope would want to guarantee his control over Oteki through whatever means necessary, because that is what politicians do for a living every day. And if the Otekians are a minority in a Kannei-dominated Oteki, then that certainly helps guarantee Gelai's rule over the area, doesn't it? As for the latter part, I would not only say that Gelai Antelope knew that having Kannei move to Oteki would make the Otekians a minority in Oteki- I would say that was intentionally part of the plan, and part of why he was so eager to get it enacted.

Namor's affirmative action programs and the presence of Otekians in government office means they're treated equally.

This argument has several flaws. First off, the presence of affirmative action programs is no guarantee that they will be used or have any net positive effect. A good example is Qianrong. Both Yang Hao-Ming- who founded the First Independent State of Qianrong- and Zheng Hye-Jeou- who founded the Free Democratic Republic of Qianrong- initiated affirmative action programs for ethnic Tuhaoese, ethnic Mahusaynese, and religious Yinglidao. These programs existed for a continuous period beginning in 1914 and ending in 1994. But if you look at the makeup of the National Transitional Council, it is both overwhelmingly Minjianese(eight of its ten members are Minjianese when five of every ten Qianrongese are Minjianese) and overwhelmingly Tianzongjiao(eight of its ten members are Tianzongjiao when six out of ten Qianrongese are Tianzongjiao). And you're not going to be able to convince me that 80 years of supposed progress was eliminated in 20 years, because after 80 years of affirmative action there shouldn't have been a disparity. Instead, what had happened was that de facto favoritism and discrimination had meant there was really no progress to erase.

Furthermore, occupation forces have always found local collaborators, and the victims of persecution sometimes(more often than not, in fact) team up with the persecutors. Nevanmaa has the 25th Separate Battalion, a battalion of black soldiers who serve a country which views them as inferior. Arnborg has the leaders of the hemlands, who actively cooperate with a government that doesn't even view them as human beings. In Nantai, many Kannei cooperate with the occupying Luziycans- most famously Kung Alicia, who's drawn ire for her fierce anti-Namor rhetoric. In Namor's history, the Choreans appointed the son of the final Antelopian emperor to rule as Emperor Dadi. The reasons why they ally with invaders and occupiers and bigots and in general those who do them harm varies- sometimes to try and escape the persecution, sometimes to further their own goals for power, sometimes out of a perverted form of Stockholm Syndrome. Regardless of why it happens, though, it happens- and Oteki is no exception. Irakly Lazar and Radoslava Yulia are the latest in a long list of people who collaborated with an occupying force.

Finally, this hasn't ended the injustices faced by Otekians. It's been brought up that Txotai AR Chief Prosecutor Radoslava Yulia wanted to guarantee that the murder of Feliks Oleg by Chiang Vei was thoroughly investigated and fairly tried. But in spite of the overwhelming witness testimony provided by Viktor Evgeni and numerous other witnesses, in spite of the conclusion made by an independent autopsy that Feliks Oleg was running away as Chiang Vei repeatedly shot him- in spite of all the evidence, Chiang Vei was found not guilty and literally got away with murder. The fact that the Namorese justice system made such an obviously unjust decision says volumes about Namorese rule over Oteki with regards to the concept that Otekians are treated as equals to the Kannei.

Namorese law dictates that all peoples' rights must be respected, so the rights of Otekians are by default respected.

Radoslava Yulia, Chief Prosecutor of Txotai,
has become easily the most famous Otekian
member of the Txotai government, and has
often been used to refute the argument that
Namor is unfair towards Otekians.
This argument, like the earlier one about Gelai Antelope's Northern Development plan, assumes that government never does anything wrong. The nature of the argument, however, is slightly different. Earlier, we were told to believe that government never has ulterior motives. Now we are being told that governments are always honest and never lie, and most certainly never break the rules.

Anyone living in Qianrong, of course, knows this to be blatantly false. The Free Democratic Republic of Qianrong had an extensive list of individual rights and personal freedoms that it had vowed to respect: free thought and free speech, right to protest, right to privacy, a speedy and public jury trial, right to an attorney, right to vote in free elections, et cetera, et cetera. But as the Namorese gleefully pointed out many times before it went defunct, the FDRQ never respected these rights. There was massive political repression, trials were rigged by kangaroo courts, the military invaded your privacy every day, there were no free elections whatsoever. In short, the FDRQ broke its own laws to stay in power.

Of course, Namor is not wholly analogous. It's generally agreed that Namor respects the rights of its Asiatic ethnicities- the Kannei, Khao, Choreans, Antelopians, and so forth. A better example for comparison might be Arnborg or Nevanmaa, where a dominant group is granted their basic human rights- to some extent- while the non-dominant group chafes under the yoke placed upon them by the dominant group. In Arnborg, the privileged group is whites; in Nevanmaa, wealthy white Christian rightist males. We've already established that many Namorese are Otekiphobic and harbor racist stereotypes towards "whities", so it isn't unreasonable to claim that Namor may have a similar system. Not de jure, like Arnborg and Nevanmaa, where the racism is clearly spelled out in the laws of the land; instead, this system in Namor exists only de facto. It has no basis in Namorese law, but exists due to Otekiphobia and the will to keep Oteki under Namorese rule.

There's only one problem with what I've just said, though, and that's the fact that the rights of Otekians with regards to free speech are regularly curtailed and restricted by the Anti-Secession Law. Manya Valerija and Csedomir Pantejmonov both found themselves targeted as political criminals for violating the Anti-Secession Law. Pantejmonov was able to flee to Qianrong. Valerija wasn't as lucky. Even better, the Anti-Secession Law has been used as a guideline for curtailing human rights elsewhere. The Free Democratic Republic had a law called the National Unity Act that made supporting separatism a crime, in a wholly futile attempt to weaken the Alliance for Sovereignty in Qianrong. The National Unity Act was so similar to the Anti-Secession Act that it's often joked to be outright plagiarism. Following the passage of the National Unity Act, Namor begins to more resemble Qianrong than Nevanmaa or Arnborg: Qianrong has no racism written into its constitutional law but the government obviously practices ethnic favoritism and religious favoritism both, preferring ethnic Minjianese and religious Tianzongjiao to other groups. In addition, the governments do have nearly-identical laws eliminating the rights of those considered to be treasonous separatists and dangerous malcontents.

In addition to highlighting the unjust way that Namor curtails the rights of Otekians to freedom of though, speech, assembly, protest, and petition, another good example exists in the way that the Namorese justice system treats crimes committed against Otekians. The most recent example of this is the murder of Otekian civilian Feliks Oleg by Kannei police officer Chiang Vei in the town of Kovdor, described earlier. The fact that a Kannei man was able to get away with the murder of an Otekian shows that Namor may not be following it's own rules with regards to treating Otekians like human beings. And, of course, we cannot forget the way that Namor treats the Lutheran Catholic Church- seeking to keep it out of the country and reduce the number of people who identify as Lutheran Catholic. It's yet more Namorese abuse in Oteki, and yet more evidence that Namor is trying to get away with a lot of morally bankrupt actions there.

The policies by Namor to improve the standard of living in Oteki have been beneficial for Otekians.

This one directly ties into an earlier argument. See, Namorese media likes to emphasize all the things that Namor's done in Oteki that are good, often using some utterly ridiculous canned phrases- PTH once used the phrase "newness of modernity" in an article on Oteki, a phrase so redundant it is only rivaled by the phrase that popped up in several Qianrongese language tests in 2013, "simultaneously at the same time". There are lots of photos of houses and roads and hospitals and offices, taken in various locations within Oteki.

The earlier argument that this one ties into is the presence of demographic manipulation. I'm not going to deny that Namor is building these things. However, the increasing number of Kannei in the region means that these shiny new facilities are probably intended for Kannei use, not Otekian. There's no de facto segregation like Nevanmaa or Arnborg; instead, demographic manipulation creates a need for better and more modern infrastructure to support the incoming Kannei. After all, Namor obviously won't treat the precious Kannei as poorly as they treat the Otekians, so as demographic manipulation occurs they'll build up Oteki. All those houses and roads and public facilities were probably built for incoming Kannei Namorese, not for Otekians. As more Kannei move in, Namor will continue its programs to improve the quality of living; by the time Oteki is a firmly Kannei region, I'd bet that the living conditions there will be absolutely fantastic.

Long story short, the presence of something good doesn't mean everyone gets to partake- a lesson Namor is learning as its wealth disparity increases under Fu Wen. The Arnborgese GDP per capita is roughly $39,000- more than three times larger than Qianrong's $11,100 and more than four times larger than Namor's $9,400. But that $39,000 almost certainly does not include non-whites, making it grossly artificially inflated; there's no way the oppressed Arnborgese blacks are making $39,000 annually. If you factored in Arnborg's black inhabitants, that number would plummet and the truth would be revealed. Just because Namor is building new infrastructure in Oteki doesn't mean that it's being used by ethnic Otekians.

Oteki is an old issue which is simply being pursued by Namor's enemies, and should be ignored.

This argument relies on the fact that Luziyca, Qianrong, and Katranjiev tend to bring up Namor's poor treatment of Otekians. It also ties into the conspiracy theories that pop up about the CIA using Otekians to wreak havoc in Namor. Ultimately, both are baseless and more based in fear than in fact.

The recent Letter of Millions easily shoots down this argument, too- unless Geadland, Scotia, and Carolina became archenemies of Namor when nobody was looking, of course. In fact, Geadland is generally considered to have very warm relations with Namor. The fact that a nation which likes Namor can express concern about the way it treats Otekians is an obvious and apparent refutation of this claim. The Letter of Millions is truly that, with a diverse list of signatories that cannot be dismissed as "enemies" or "terrorists".

And even if only Namor's enemies were bringing this up, that doesn't make pointing it out any less legitimate. As I argued earlier, you need to have those who like you and those who dislike you involved if you want to truly convey that you are conducting things the right way. Indeed, it is generally our opponents that point out where we are wrong, not our friends. To phrase it poetically, there is no teacher but the enemy. Instead of dismissing a complaint because Luziyca or Qianrong made it, a Namor that was acting justly and fairly in Namor would prove that they were being fair and just in Oteki. Instead of repressing free speech and miscarriaging justice, they would be respecting free speech and delivering justice. Instead of dismissing complains made by their opponents, Namor should strive to make it so there is no complain for their opponents to make. The fact that they instead try to dismiss these complaints says a lot about what's actually going on Oteki.

Namorese rule over Oteki is recognized by many foreign governments, and is thus legitimate.

When you were a young child and you wanted to do something that all your friends were doing but your parents thought was ludicrous or even dangerous, did you ever hear them ask you "If all your friends were jumping off of a bridge, would you?" I certainly did, and I'm sure many of the other people reading this also have, since it ranks up there with "you'll poke your eye out" when it comes to oft-used parental warnings.

Put simply, everyone is jumping off of a bridge right now and Namor is trying to tell us that we should go along because everybody else is doing it. Many nations recognized the FDRQ, but Namor was still glad to see it fall. Many nations recognize the Nevan Realm government- and I am proud to say that Qianrong does not- but the fact that they are recognized does not mean that it is okay for the Nevan Realm to treat women, the poor, Outer Nevans, and blacks as second-class citizens. The bandwagon argument is yet another commonly-used and confusingly persuasive logical fallacy- one that people shouldn't use and shouldn't believe, but for some reason they still do. The fact that many nations recognize Namorese rule over Oteki does not by default make it right. In fact, it has no bearing on the legitimacy of the occupation at all.

Otekian separatism is inherently tied to religious extremism, Luziycan imperialism, and violent terrorism.

First off, this is a blatant ad hominem logical fallacy. The ad hominem fallacy is basically an attack on the image of your opponent instead of making an actual argument or refutation. It appears quite frequently in democratic politics, where it's generally called "mudslinging". Instead of attacking your opponent's argument, you attack the opponent himself. With individual politicians, this generally manifests itself in the painting of a political opponent as corrupt or indecisive or untrustworthy or unfaithful. Ad hominems work unnervingly well; even a baseless and ultimately false allegation can kill a political career, as Robert Ujson of Vyvland learned after Tiy Baners claimed that Ujson had been sleeping around. Even though the allegations against Ujson were ultimately proved to be false, he still lost the 2014 Vyvlander presidential election to Pamela Oegelkeper.

Namor likes to levy its allegations against the entire Otekian ethnicity. We are supposed to believe that the Otekian people are in essence a hivemind run by Breuvi Shjoraski and Breuvi Chikmurdof. A Namorese commenter on PTH inadvertently summarized the general sentiment of Namorese allegations towards Otekians: "if Chiang Vei is put on trial for this crime, then all the Otekians should be put on trial for the same charge, that is murder." Even as they gloat about the rifts forming in the Otekian community, they somehow manage to claim that Mikhail Shumev, Natasha Roman, Kolya Vitalik, Csedomir Pantejmonov, Yorskov Lhego, Siemyscza Vlasinov, and Valeriy Ainisim are all in fact violent terrorists whose end goal is to establish a psychotic theocracy in Oteki. Even better, they say this even though extremist groups like the cyberterrorist Otekian Truth Brigades are in fact at war with the rest of the Otekian community. And as was explained earlier when talking about Namorese military presence due to the threats made by the Knights of Saint Luther, these extremist groups often damaged the Otekian cause and furthered the occupation. The Namorese also like to see Luziyca everywhere; Namorese state media very pointedly released a video of the murdered Feliks Oleg singing the Luziycan national anthem, as if to convince the Namorese people to view him as a national enemy and not as a human being. Not to mention that the newspaper of one of the largest Namorese political parties then released an article entitled "JustiCIA Nu" shortly afterwards.

Csedomir Pantejmonov also briefly described the racism he experienced while living as an Otekian in Namo for several years, in an interview given to PTH's Hong Hua. "I also learned quite a bit living in Namo," he told Hong, "because God knows there were an unnervingly large number of people who were convinced that I was just waiting for the opportunity to run around waving the flag of the Knights of Saint Luther with a stick of dynamite and a match." Keep in mind that Pantejmonov lived in Namor for years, lying about his politics to avoid being thrown into Nanniwan. If anyone is qualified to tell us about the ad hominems flung at Otekians, then it's Pantejmonov, who dealt with them every day from 1992 to 2014- twenty-two years of ad hominems and Otekiphobia.

It's also proof of my first argument about Namorese racism towards Otekians. It takes a certain level of prejudice to say that eight million people are terrorist scum, yet it seems to come easily to many Namorese- including those in the highest levels of Namorese governance. And unfortunately, too many people seem to be easily persuaded by fear-based attacks on character, meaning a blatantly false fallacy can become accepted truth for many people.

Long story short, though, this argument ignores the many olive branches that Otekians have extended to Namor- and how Namor has repeatedly rejected both independence and devolution for Oteki. Shumev, Vitalik, Lhego, and Ainisim have all urged a peaceful resolution to the issue, and yet Namor continues to ignore them or reject them. And, of course, it's worth noting that Otekian terrorism is on the retreat. The murderous Knights of Saint Luther are a thing of the past and the Otekian Truth Brigades are undoubtedly on the defensive following the numerous cyberattacks to hit Namor late last year. In short, this argument ignores reality in favor of fearmongering, and is both fallacious and false.

The Otekian exiles are simply being childish.

The argument against this one is simple. If a political group extends the olive branch to you and you tell them to "go hug Luziyca and leave us alone"- as the Namorese government told pro-devolution Otekians led by Mikhail Shumev- you do not get to call other people childish. If your response to a news source reporting news you don't like in a country that ostensibly has freedom of speech is to try and sue them into bankruptcy- as the Txotai Autonomous Republic tried to do to Radio Free Qianrong- you do not get to call other people childish. If you gloat over the concept of the people you forced into exile dying as refugees- as Vang Jun did when he tweeted that Valeriy Anisim would die of old age before Oteki was once again free- you do not get to call other people childish. If your response to a singer saying that she disagrees with government policy is to charge her as a political criminal and throw her into jail- as the Txotai AR did to Manya Valerija- you do not get to call other people childish. And if your response to an open letter signed by hundreds of people from multiple nations urging nothing more than respecting basic human rights is to dismiss it as a "melodramatic stunt" after trying to ignore its existence for several days- as Namor has done with the Letter of Millions- you do not get to call other people childish.

The People's Republic of Namor and the Namorese media like to call the Otekians babyish, and say that their calls to be given their freedom and their dignity are childish hissy-fits. But with the exception of terrorists like Breuvi Chikmurdof and his evil ilk, the Otekians are by far the more mature group when it comes to this dispute. The Otekians have asked for independence and devolution both in very diplomatic ways, as evidenced by the efforts of Shumev, Roman, Vitalik, Lhego, and Ainism all. They have demanded that they be treated as human beings, as a free people, as individuals with rights and liberties and needs and family and wills and dreams. But Namor has always had one of three responses: callous indifference, mocking rejection, or outright assault. They either stick their fingers in their ears and say "la-la-la-la-la I can't hear you", or make some statement about you being a melodramatic terrorist, or use their legal power to silence you by jailing you or bankrupting you or both.

That's the maturity that the Namorese claim they have: callous mocking of your plight or outright repression to shut you up. That's the human rights they pride themselves on. They may not burn people at the stake, but they forced half of the Otekian population out of their homeland and made the remaining half a persecuted minority in their own homeland.

The most prominent Namophile in Qianrong, former dissident and political refugee Yang Hye-Kai, likes to talk about his flight to the Little Qianrong neighborhood of Namo and of how much freer the PRN is than the FDRQ was, about how much they respected his basic rights. No doubt Namor will boast about Little Qianrong whenever we complain about their miserable human rights record in Oteki. However, a different inhabitant of Little Qianrong has a different story, one that refutes the claim made by Namor and the Namophiles: his name, of course, is Csedomir Pantejmonov, who is legally a political criminal in Namor under their Anti-Secession Law. And, of course, Pantejmonov is not alone: he's joined by the inhabitants of Shudenov, Velokhiov, Novi Gusev, Sorbijov, Husrenov, Cernagorev, Kudyekiev, Svobodevo, Voryavija, Malzhenkov, Kolorenko, and every other Otekitown in Qianrong- all of them political criminals in the People's Republic of Namor.

That's Namor's human rights, Namor's individual liberties, Namor's political freedoms, Namor's tolerance- recorded right there in the names of the more than four million Otekian refugees who were driven from their home by an invading army and will never see it again. Namor's Foreign Ministry says that these refugees and exiles are "unaware of the facts"- but to be brutally honest, I'd say that the exiles are more aware of the facts than anyone else. And the facts say that Namor has no legitimate claim to Oteki and has been routinely oppressing ethnic Otekians since they invaded and conquered it. To hold any other position is in spite of the facts, not because of them.

COMMENTS
No comments presently.

OTHER NEWS
- School shooting in Vestmark sparks gun control controversy
- A brief biography of Vestmarkic PM of Greonterp Anna Sorenson
- Ocelotian Isles "struggling to rebuild" after junta and invasion
- Fu Wen proposes closure of all community colleges in Namor
- Dhomish anti-establishment parties reportedly growing in power
- Free Kraqi Army at city limits of Ragobad after four years
- Minimum wage raise passed decisively in Atlantican referendum
- When will the Second Independent State become reality?
Last edited by Qianrong on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Formerly Ruridova - Come join Kylaris!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:43 pm

BREAKING | Supreme Court Strikes Down W. Ainin Martial Law
Impromptu protests pop up at courthouses across the country as controversial ruling resonates across the country

A depiction of a gavel sitting on a table (Image credit: ABC Clipart)
FORESTIA ― The Supreme Court of Ainin ruled today that the proclamation of martial law in West Ainin was unconstitutional, sending shockwaves through the corridors of power across the country. The surprise 5-4 decision by the court held that the insurrection in the troubled province was too limited, mostly being confined to a single sparsely-populated 150 km2 forested area spanning two prefectures, and did not pose enough of a threat to the civilian populace to merit sweeping emergency measures. The court decided that the use of war legislation to deal with the West Aininian Liberation Front (WALF)'s threat of open rebellion was excessive and violated the Charter of Civil Rights, declaring the emergency measures imposed immediately struck down.

This decision surprised most analysts, who expected the court to throw the case, originally filed by far-right National Alliance leader Max Cornell, out very quickly. It was first filed in the Court of the Republic for McFaddle, where a three-judge panel dismissed it after 17 minutes. He appealed, and the next court to hear the case, the High Court of Appeal, also dismissed it without even hearing any arguments. He appealed once again, and he was joined in his lawsuit by several human rights groups including the Esquarian Human Rights Monitor's Aininian bureau, and the next ruling was far more tight; the Republican Court of Cassation ruling 4-3 against him, which was once again appealed, this time to the Supreme Court, which reversed all lower court rulings to find in favour of the plaintiffs.

A major political defeat for the Mann government, it's expected to significantly affect the political stage in Forestia. Reaction to the ruling was largely negative, with an impromptu online poll held by an ABC liveblog showing that 69% of people that answered the survey opposed it, while only 22% supported it. While this sample may not have been representative of the population as a whole, responses across the country seemed to mirror it, with social media bursting into outrage at the alleged abuse of power by the court and, as of the time of publication, a crowd numbering about 150 and growing larger by the minute was picketing in Republic Square in front of the Supreme Court building.

The West Aininian Independence Movement praised the ruling, proclaiming that "the judiciary had done its duty to the principles of liberty", and several civil rights groups also voiced their support. Counter-protests by these groups however failed to attract much momentum, with news media outnumbering pro-court protesters 16:1 at one rally. More reactions from across the country are expected to be heard over the coming days.

The Presidential Palace and the Office of the Prime Minister both declined comment.

Comments
Sorted by: Most popular

▲ 23 ▼ 6 SmileyFacexD wrote:
"Justice" system

▲ 31 ▼ 17 TheDogFan__ wrote:
Ten bucks the WALF are going to firebomb the Supreme Court next

▲ 40 ▼ 6 JackL24 wrote:
If you're mad about this ruling, how about you go protest instead of sitting behind ur computer ranting at a comment box?

(Load more...)

In Other News
  • International - Atlantica raises the minimum wage
  • Politics - Mann: "Ainin rejects Txotai independence as the work of thugs, terrorists and hooligans"
  • Entertainment - République will reduce Sunday edition by 5 pages
  • Offbeat - 16-year old Hartleen teenager invents miniature solar panel that can power smartphone reliably for science fair

Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Greonterp
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greonterp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:21 am

Greonlian Parliament votes to sign "letter of millions."

ImagePM Anna Sørensen and the Parliament have declared their support for Txotai.

Boswald - The Greonlian Parliament has voted to sign the Geadish "letter of millions" by a wide margin.

The parliament voted on a bill that would sign the letter by a overwhelming margin of 167-31. Prime Minister Anna Sørensen has also voiced her support for the letter, and gave a speech at the parliament discussing Namor.

"As many of you know, I taught a secondary school class in Namor for a year. I've met Otekians while teaching in Namor, and I know what they've been through.If Namor wants to be treated as a democratic, free nation, they should first treat their own people fairly. Until they do that, the international community will hopefully continue to criticize the nation," said PM Anna Sørensen.

The Letter of Millions is a Geadish document signed by numerous celebrities, politicians, and high ranking figures who have voiced their opposition to Namor's treatment of Txotai. This opposition stems from Namor's anti-secession law, and what is perceived to be as "demographic manipulation."

Polls have revealed that 76% of Greonlian citizens support the letter, and only 19% are opposed to it. This largely mirror's Greonterp's opinion of Namor as a whole, which has been shown to be surprisingly low.

Numerous Greonlian celebrities, authors, and high ranking figures have signed the letter. The Greonlian Monarchy has declined to sign the letter, calling it a "political issue that the monarchy shouldn't be involved with." The most notable signatory was likely Kaameron Van Liik, who has starred in 22 movies as of this month.

"I'm not very political, but when I see oppression in other parts of the region, I'm sure as hell going to speak out. I've spoken out against Nevanmaa, and now it's time for us to speak out against Namor," said Van Liik.

This newspaper's editor has also signed the letter, in an act described by some as "overly political" for the Boswald Times.
Last edited by Greonterp on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingdom of Greonterp

Namor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

PUTTING TXOTAI INTO PERSPECTIVE
Opinion piece by Radoslava Yulia, Chief Prosecutor of the Txotai AR
Наморайин | English

Radoslava Yulia, chief prosecutor of the Txotai AR
The so-called Letter of Millions, originally signed by a hundred Geadish individuals, is continuing to gain momentum overseas. What's more unbelievable is that entire governments have decided to support and sign the letter. In the end, I must say that I cannot believe how the situation has deteriorated to the stage it is in now. The interests of a few are being portrayed as the interest of an entire people - which many are unfortunately buying into and, from there, making baseless accusations and incorrect conclusions.

The letter has given many the false impression that Namor is oppressing the Otekian people, and that overall Namor is a repressive state (there seems to be a denial of all the effects of Minjuha in the past few decades, somehow). This has led to renewed whoops for Txotai independence as a means of stopping the oppression that wasn't, and the repression that isn't there. There is a swing in public opinion - a swing that should've not been made if people sat back and observed the situation in a rational, reasonable manner that is immune to purposely-injected pathos. Seeing that many - if not most - people who support supposedly giving Otekians "human rights (note that I put quotes around these words not because I don't believe in human rights, but because pro-independence activists tend to use it to enhance their points)" support separation of Txotai from Namor, I want to use this time to break down this controversy, and pray that others outside of Namor begin to put things into perspective.

TO WHOM DOES TXOTAI BELONG?
Some separatists, notably RFQ editor Csedomir Pantejmonov (an ethnic Otekian who resides in Qianrong), say that Namor is hypocritical when dealing with the territorial dispute in Nantai and the situation in Txotai. These separatists claim that Namor has as much of a right to Nantai as Otekians do to Txotai, and that if Namorese sovereignty is restored in Nantai the people of Txotai ought to get their sovereignty, too.

What is now Txotai was formerly part of the Duchy of York, and wasn't under the control of most imperial dynasties. This fact has been used by separatists as evidence that the region wasn't Namorese since ancient times; however, arguably in ancient times there wasn't really anything called "Namor." There was, instead, a geographical territory of undefined size called Namor that was ruled by several dynasties, sometimes many dynasties at the same time. Dynasties warred each other, wiped each other off the map, and sometimes merged to form new dynasties, but these weren't done by "Namor" or "Namorese people."

What must be noted that Txotai was considered a county of York, so if one doesn't consider Txotai "historically Namorese," it wasn't independent either. If one is to view Txotai as having been historically independent (that is, a sovereign state ruled by nobody else), then one should also make the argument that other places once controlled by the Duchy of York belong to Txotai.

The Duchy of York under Duke Sudzhov V declared bankruptcy and sold the territory of Txotai to the Antelopian Dynasty. The entire territory was sold for 10,000 lira. No historical evidence arises claiming that this purchase was done under duress, as compared to the Treaty of Tatra or perhaps even the Treaty of Peaceful Accession, so separatists cannot make the claim that this purchase was illicit. If it was illicit, then what about the other regions outside of Namor that were also acquired through monetary purchases? Should their "illegality" be backing up talking points by local separatists, too?

Moving on, Txotai (as well as Nantai) remained under the control of the Antelopian Dynasty. The lives of Otekians living in the region remained mostly undisturbed, although there was a disagreement in regards to the authority of the Emperor and the Lutheran Catholic Church. This disagreement, however, can not only be seen anywhere in the world today, but did not lead to mass fighting or killing. For a time, Txotai lived up to the meaning of its name - the land of brotherly peace.

Then the catalyst of the present sovereignty debate started when the modern-day state of Luziyca waged war on the Antelopian Dynasty. The technologically backwards Antelopian military did not stand a chance against the tactics and weaponry of their western foes. In the end, to avoid losing more territory to Luziyca, the Antelopian rulers signed the Treaty of Tatra, ceding Nantai and Txotai to the Luziycans, who then proceeded to make both regions look more like them. This was the first time in contemporary history Namor lost territory to a foreign power, and it was lost via an unequal treaty signed under pressure. Years after the Luziycan annexation, a referendum was held in the territory of Txotai deciding whether it should be an independent country (in name). The referendum passed, and out popped the "First Republic of Oteki (FRO)," the first time the name "Oteki" was used as the name of an ostensibly independent state. Although the FRO was constitutionally independent, almost everything except for petty matters were handled by the Luziycans (later East Luziycans). The clergy had strong ties with Bethlehem, the "government" followed the Luziycan model, and the lira (Luziycan currency) was used. Throughout the period of this so-called independence, neither the Antelopian Dynasty nor the Republic of Namor recognized Txotai as an independent entity, and the region was still included as part of the northwestern region of Thalassa.

In all respect for the concept of territorial integrity, if a region belonging to a sovereign state is taken away, and the sovereign state does not approve, then the region still belongs to the sovereign state and is not regarded as territory of the usurper (or however the usurper may want to paint it). In this case, Txotai was legally purchased by Namor (Duchy of York to Antelopian Dynasty), then was illegally annexed by Luziyca (Treaty of Tatra) and declared "independent (FRO)," all without the recognition of the legal owner (Namor). Obviously, had the Republic of Namor recognized the FRO and listed it as a sovereign state, I would have argued otherwise. But you can't change history.

Separatists assert that the Treaty of Peaceful Accession, which formally re-incorporated Txotai into the embrace of the Namorese nation, was fraudulent because the leaders of the FRO were under pressure to sign it while negotiating with the newly-proclaimed People's Republic. Whether this is true or not we'll never know until a historian investigates, but even if we are to assume this is true, we must look at it from the context of what happened - as I explained before, Namor did not really approve of giving Txotai to Luziyca or letting it become independent, and so it wasn't legally independent. Namor had all rights to take back territory that was usurped from it. Context is really important when examining the issue at hand.

WHY THE ANTI-SECESSION LAW?
As the "Letter of Millions" is gaining momentum, separatists and their supporters are aiming at Namor's Anti-Secession Law, which theoretically bans attempts at secession from Namor but also deprives people in Namor - especially Otekians - of their right to freedom of expression, self-determination and speech. Firebrand separatists in Qianrong often say that the Anti-Secession Law was "plagiarized" by a former Qianrongese law since it supposedly had the same implications. I don't want to be offensive, but I believe that most critics of the Anti-Secession Law don't actually read the law itself, which can be read here.

Section Three of the law states that people who openly advocate for separating territory from Namor (being separatists) are barred from running for political office or registering an organization with said goals as a political party. Nowhere does it say that separatists are immediately deprived of what all citizens are guaranteed in the Namorese Constitution (which I advise many to read as well), and then sent to jail. I've had the wonderful opportunity to travel all across the country, in most districts and all of the autonomous republics. In the Chorean-dominated autonomous republic of Xibensho, I observed a small-sized rally in the streets of Haidi, the capital, in which its participants called on Xibensho to become a province of Chorea. Although the movement does not have everybody's support, they are allowed, and I don't recall any one of the participants in the rally having endured what separatists allege all Otekians currently endure under Namor's "occupation."

In essence, calling for secession from Namor is still allowed, and anyone is freely permitted to do so. But the problem comes when separatists do not act out of genuine popular will, but to serve the interests of foreign countries, particularly countries that do not have historically friendly relations with Namor and have interests in destabilizing Namor - the Christian Republic of Luziyca especially. I am not an opponent of Namo-Luziycan detente; in fact, I believe more interactions between Namor and Luziyca can only bring more good than harm. But as history shows (and this is not a conspiracy theory with the intention of misinforming; you can do your research to corroborate this), Luziyca has had a history of financing, arming, training and encouraging Otekian separatists. Separatist leaders attended secret meetings with CIA officials, where they learned tactics in waging an effective insurgency, a believable PR campaign and stirring up rebellion. When the Knights of St. Luther was at its peak, it had several training camps dotted throughout Luziyca where militants were taught how to use certain bombs, hold civilians hostage and destroy public infrastructure. Even looking at the supposedly non-violent side of the separatists, the ones who don't bomb and murder, their leaders are in contact with Bethlehem day and night so they can learn how to get support. Valeriy Anisim, current "president" of OGIE and formerly just the leader of the "Christian Party," called Luziyca "our brothers...we need them and they need us."

If the cause of "Otekian freedom" was and still is popular among Otekians like me, then I question why the separatists have to depend excessively on another government to carry it out. If they were/are genuinely popular they would have depended on one factor, and that is the Otekian populace. As Yunglang Antelope correctly pointed out: "A true revolution needs only the people, and that is it." The separatists need Luziycan money coming in so their cause survives. If most Otekians supported their cause, there would have been an independent Txotai already. The insurgency that followed the suppression of the rebellion would have demoralized the Namorese and sent them retreating. But instead, not only did the insurgency die down, but fighting the insurgents were Otekians who aligned themselves with the authorities.

Back to the Anti-Secession Law, however, the purpose of part of Section Three was to make sure that our freedoms are not used as a platform, an Achilles' Heel, for certain powers to carry out their agendas. I'm not saying that all separatists are financed by the Luziycans, but there is certainly enough of them on Luziycan payroll enough for us to worry and make sure that until such time that this is no longer the case, the law remains. With that, I hope and pray that mainstream separatists will divert all of their energy from receiving handouts to making decisions that will truly satisfy some people at the least.

LET'S BE PRAGMATIC
Whether you believe Txotai is an independent, "occupied" country or that it is rightfully territory of Namor, I think we can all agree that Txotai's present and future ought to be decided by Txotai's people. Since becoming Chief Prosecutor, I talked to many people who live in Txotai - Otekians, Kannei and Geads. Many of these people are now living together in harmony, erasing the lines that separated them and investing their all into making not only the country's future brighter, but their own futures brighter. Some have become entrepreneurs dedicated to the thriving growth of businesses, others became social workers who dedicate themselves to serving the people, and many others have pursued a variety of careers - from teachers to politicians to athletes. Certainly, Txotai is not a perfect place and there may be problems from time to time, but there is reason to be optimistic. The people are, after all, working together so the region may live to the fullest of its name - the land of brotherly peace.

About half of Txotai's population are Kannei. Roughly 35% are Otekians and 10% are Geads. This is, of course, a far cry from the past when demographics were significantly different, and the current demographics are not going to change (and one shouldn't expect it to change) for a long period of time. Some separatists use these statistics, however, to justify their arguments. RFQ's Pantejmonov accused the government of "ethnic cleansing," while Geadish author Simon Bloom used a more moderate (yet still incorrect in the practical sense) term of "demographic manipulation." What's astounding is that many people have bought into these accusations despite the fact that this so-called "manipulation" was caused by a policy dating back to the Minjuha era which was 1) intended to improve Northern Namor's economy by creating jobs and 2) didn't apply to Txotai only. I'm not sure why the government, assuming that it intended on making Otekians a minority in their homeland, didn't move people from southern Namor to Txotai and not anywhere else, and I seriously wonder why separatists often bring up "demographic manipulation" without bringing up the fact that during the rebellion, the "Second Republic of Oteki" evicted non-Otekians from their homes and either executed them, "deported" them elsewhere or imprisoned them. As wrong as some of the policies of the Namorese government might have been, none of this happened in the years following the rebellion. Those who fled Txotai for overseas weren't evicted, but decided to flee for one reason or another - all before the Liberation Army reached Kusef and ended the rebellion once and for all. There wasn't really anything Namor - let alone any government if in such a position - could do about it.

Separatists who talk about "demographic manipulation" consider Kannei in Txotai as illegal settlers, and called on them to leave the region - either through passive or non-passive means. Knights commander Breuvi Chikmurdof once said: "The question lies: can the Zahkava [Namorese], Geads and Otekians live together in peace and harmony in Oteki? Never." In a "less militant" tone, Csedomir Pantejmonov said "you either let the Otekians be a minority in their homeland, or you drive the Kannei who now live there out." A second generation of Kannei are growing up in Txotai, a generation that did not take part in the "manipulation" if that's what we're going to call it. Should they be driven out too, and, if so, is it not the "ethnic cleansing" some allege Namor of engaging in?

We should learn to be pragmatic - only three countries do not consider Txotai as Namorese territory, while the rest of the world does. Non-Otekians in Txotai - Kannei and Geads alike - are here to stay, and should a political solution arise to solve the issue at hand, it should include - not exclude - them. In the long run, all of us can benefit from pragmatic thinking and a realistic solution that satisfies the core demands of all sides. We should not reduce ourselves into seeking solutions that are too radical, outlandish or worthy of condemnation.

WHAT ABOUT THE SEPARATISTS?
I find all human beings to be good. The separatists accuse us of painting "all Otekians" with one brush, the brush of being religious fundamentalists and extremists. That is partially true, but not all people who support independence for Txotai are bad people - they are just individuals who have alternate opinions, and their opinions should ultimately be respected even if most law-abiding citizens do not agree with them. A number of separatists brandish weapons and threaten to kill innocent people, but not all of them. This thinking should not prevail in the minds of good people.

Some people who stand neutral in this exchange of words have proposed that those who favor Txotai being rightfully Namorese and those who favor independence for Txotai convene together in a public setting and engage in a debate where they can hear, understand and refute each others' views. I am personally not against such an idea, so long as we learn to be able to sit down together and engage in lively, useful discussion as opposed to hours of rambling, logical fallacies and name-calling. I myself have been called by separatist groups as a "collaborator" merely because I devote my life to serving in public office, loyally serving a country to which I believe I belong to but the separatists feel I shouldn't. There are others who go as far as to accuse me of being "used" by the leadership in Namo so my presence can fawn them. Many Otekians who choose to consider themselves Namorese have been threatened verbally by certain separatists, to whom the belief that Otekians and other Namorese ethnic groups should not stand united is rather strong.

The ultimate aim of the "Letter of Millions" is to end "Namorese occupation" by means of injecting pathos into the issue at hand for persuasive purposes, but pragmatism requires that there be a more realistic solution that produces better results. It will really help if everyone realizes that not everybody thinks the same way - many, if not most, Otekians in Namor no longer feel that independence will meet their long-term needs. And it is time for us - not the ones at Frontiersburg - to speak for ourselves and make ourselves clear.

Radoslava Yulia is the Chief Prosecutor of the Txotai Autonomous Republic, and one of the most prominent ethnic Otekians serving in public office. Although she stands for Otekians to get a better share in current society, she remains opposed to the idea of separatism as a means of solving Otekians' problems, whatever they may be. Views expressed in her opinion piece do not represent the views of this paper.
Last edited by Namor on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scotia-99
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scotia-99 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:09 pm

9 February, 2015

Arthur Griffin: Radoslava Yulia "a Bloody Hypocrite"

SNP party leader Arthur Griffin during
an interview with The Scotia Times

ABERLEFEN, SCOTIA - Arthur Griffin TD, leader of the far-right Scotian National Party, has called Txotai Public Prosecutor Radoslava Yulia "a fool and a bloody hypocrite" after she wrote an editorial on the Mojing Sibo refuting the "Letter of Millions" intended to address the grievances of the Otekian people to the Namorese government.

In an interview with the Scotia Times, Mr. Griffin called the Otekian Public Prosecutor "a bloody hypocrite for siding with such a regime which has trampled on the rights that even their Constitution provides. I mean, COME ON! When you look at things like the brutal murder of Feliks Oleg, and how his killer managed to escape justice, you get the sense that the average Otekian lives no better than the average Black Nevan in his country, or even an Avarian and Pyrelonian in Lőrinci and Linyola respectively."

Griffin also refuted the claims she made about the autonomous republic, claiming that "if Txotai was a happy, fun place to live in harmony, why would half of its own people like Mr. Pantejmonov [editor of Radio Free Qianrong] leave their own homeland and then see it being overrun with millions of Namorese from the south in an attempt to dilute its population, huh? If the Letter of Millions was just some separatist ploy to gain some sympathy, then why did it originate from such a good Namorese ally like Geadland? In fact, if that's the case, why would our own Government sign it en masse at the Geadish Embassy, and then have even George Lu [the leader of the Liberal Party and an ethnic Namorese] and the rest of the Dàil (including me) sign it? The fact that our own government, which is entirely neutral and has practically acquiesced to Namorese control, signed the Letter is a pretty good indicator of how Otekians in their own homeland have faced for at least sixty years now."

He has also hinted at a surprise in the Dàil on 16 February next week, suggesting that he'll introduce legislation "that will solve the issue once and for all."

Mr. Griffin has made controversial statements in the past, including recent comments that Scotia should annex the Ocelot Isles during the intervention to topple the separatist administration led by Alexei Spalin, and is considered persona non grata in Namor (as well as Nevanmaa) for suggesting that Scotia should annex the Outer Nevan realm of Pyrelonia and the Namorese districts of Xhipei and Xhinan.
Last edited by Scotia-99 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scotia, the most Interesting country in Esquarium: IIWiki
Political Beliefs:
Right: 4.35, Libertarian: 1.09 Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 1.16 Cultural Liberal: -0.48
For: capitalism, conservative libertarianism, neoconservatism (foreign policy), atlanticism, zionism, US, UK, Ireland, EU, Philippines
Against: communism, socialism, fascism, Islamofascism, totalitarianism

Independence for Catalonia NOW! · Ted Cruz for President 2016

Namor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:46 pm

"Love Nevanmaa Week" to kick off Thursday in response to Scotian politician's comparison of Namor to Nevanmaa
Thousands express intention to "act like Nevans"
February 9, NMR 2374

Arthur Griffin, far-right politician from Scotia
who compared Namor's "policy towards Otekians"
with Nevanmaa's policy towards blacks
NAMO, CAPITAL DISTRICT - A storm on social media has led to the decision that this Thursday, "Love Nevanmaa Week" will commence and last until next Thursday. Many are planning to use this week to "act like Nevanmaa" as a way to mock the assertion made by a few that Namor is parallel to the Nevan Realm.

This comes at a time when Namor's so-called policy towards Otekian people is being bashed by several significant figures around the world, which started with a Geadish-produced letter demanding that the government change its so-called policy towards Otekians. Some of the demands in the petition included the repeal of the Anti-Secession Law and a stop to policies that are supposedly putting the cultural heritage of Otekians in jeopardy. The letter was signed by people from various countries, and was even endorsed by a few governments. The Namorese Foreign Minister dismissed the letter as a "melodramatic stunt" put forth by separatist forces.

One of the supporters of this letter, Scotian far-right politician Arthur Griffin, criticized the Namorese position on Txotai. In responding to an opinion piece by Txotai chief prosecutor Radoslava Yulia, Griffin called Yulia a "hypocrite" before going forth to claim that "you get the sense that the average Otekian lives no better than the average Black Nevan in his country [Nevanmaa]."

But Griffin wasn't the only person to have compared Namor to Nevanmaa in one way or another. Greonlian celebrity Kaameron Van Liik signed the separatist letter: "I've spoken out against Nevanmaa, and now it's time for us to speak out against Namor." In an interview with PTH, ethnic Otekian Qianrongese separatist sympathizer Csedomir Pantejmonov said "[w]hat I do have is the ability to compare Oteki [Txotai] to Qianrong, to Nantai, to Nevanmaa, to Arnborg, to other places where there are maltreated ethnic groups."

After these comparisons of Namor with Nevanmaa, a monarchy that's generally regarded as racist and autocratic by most of the world, many Namorese say they've had enough. Many proposed on Twitter that the entire country "act like Nevanmaa" for an entire week to mock the claim that Namor is as bad, if not worse, than Nevanmaa. It was decided that "Love Nevanmaa Week" will begin this Thursday, and soon this caused a huge uproar.

"Act like a Nevan when Thursday comes, because we treat minorities like Negroes!" tweeted comedian Sao Hua, followed by the trending hashtag #LoveNevanmaaWeek.

Pro-Liberationist newspaper The Liberator announced that starting Thursday, its logo will be changed from showing the Namorese and Socialist flags to showing the Nevan and Arnborgese flags. The Liberator's editorial, which called the "Letter of Millions" a "publicity stunt," was met with a wide range of reactions from separatist supporters.

There are others, too. Txotai's Deputy Head of State Irakliy Lazar - an ethnic Otekian - said on Twitter that "I might wave a Nevan flag on Thusday, just saying." Regana Alyona, ethnic Otekian track star, expressed her intention to participate in the movement, adding "Our nation is being wrongly portrayed and I must speak out."
Race groupings in Nevanmaa are fundamental to executing racial laws

PTH has received many requests to observe "Love Nevanmaa Week," but manager Yingnghiem Zo said that it will refrain from doing so due to PTH begin a "non-partisan news network that strives to bring as much objectivity as possible."

"Love Nevanmaa Week" is spilling out of social media. Gongchan Zhushi, leader of the Socialist Party, formally requested that everyone in the Central Council show up in royal robes when the legislature convenes on Thursday, although it is unclear if there is going to be anybody heeding his call. Gongchan has also demanded that the President-General "speak out" and "place a crown on the top of his head, just for one day" to protest Griffin's "trash talk."

"He says we're like Nevanmaa. We must show it to him, then," he said.

In Namo, several major restaurants say that on Thursday, they will remove all Namorese flags from their premises and replace them with Nevan, Arnborgese or Luziycan flags. Traditional Namorese food or fast food will not be served for a week, and instead Nevan food will be offered to customers.

"There are problems, but we are non-analogous to Nevanmaa or Arnborg," said restaurant owner Chan Guan. "Since when [in Namor] are Otekians not allowed to marry with Kannei? Since when are Otekians not allowed to vote? When did we ever put up signs reading 'Kannei only' or 'Otekians only' anywhere? Here, I can be a Kannei and marry an Otekian woman and have children. I doubt they have that right in Nevanmaa. So tell me, how are we like Nevanmaa at all?"

If Arthur Griffin wanted a response from people in Txotai, he got it.

"Sure, there are problems we face, but I prefer here than either independence or living in Nevanmaa," Goran Milovan, 53, a resident of Kusef said. " I don't know for sure if I'm going to participate in Love Nevanmaa Week, but what I am sure is that life here isn't as bad as you think. Being an Otekian in Namor surely beats being a black person in either Nevanmaa or Arnborg."

The press secretary of the Executive House said that the government has "no formal opinion" on Love Nevanmaa Week and refused to comment any further.

COMMENTS
Shi Bai
Long live the Nevan Realm! Long live racism! Long live discrimination! The Namorese and Nevans are comrades-in-arms all the way (note: I'm being sarcastic) 437 58

Yu Heng
A better way to mock the separatists is by signing the petition for the lulz. 212 357

Bao Ming
I'm redesigning my house so it's white, blue all over. 24 2

Other News
  • FM: Otekian separatist petition "melodramatic stunt" - Shen Wuhong said "the so-called Letter of Millions is a brilliant manifesto that's really uplifting, especially if one isn't aware of the actual facts."
  • Truck driver arrested after beating up taxicab driver in road rage incident - Mojing police say the driver was angry that the taxi was tailgating him.
  • Atlantica raises minimum wage - Atlantica's referendum ended in a majority of voters supporting a raise in the country's minimum wage.
Last edited by Namor on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:00 am

Exclusive interview with Natasha Roman

Natasha Roman of the Devomax movement

FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - Today, we have organized an interview with proponent of "maximum devolution," and who joined the new Otekian National Coalition, Natasha Roman, who signed the Letter of Millions as well as countless other public figures in Luziyca. She has felt that it was time to "explain her position and why she should not be simply be assumed as a separatist."

"Why did you sign the Letter of Millions?"
Natasha told us, "I signed it not because I endorse separatism, but because I am an Otekian who believes that Namor should try their best to solve this issue, to a level which pleases both sides, and ultimately, this is where, I think, Devomax is the only solution: Namor controls foreign affairs, defense, and monetary affairs, as well as some social services while us Otekians control basically everything else. And by us Otekians, I don't mean ethnic Otekians, but Kannei and Geads as well."

"Do you think Namor is ignoring the genuine grievances of Otekians?"
"Quite frankly," she said, "yes. Many citizens in Namor, judging by the internet, seem to hate us, and the government in Namo either ignores the Otekian or mocks our plight, as when Mikhail Shumev tried to extend an olive branch, only for the Namorese government to say 'go hug Luziyca and leave us alone.' I really want the Namorese to settle this, and I could understand why they may want to sweep this issue under the rug, or kick that can down the road for someone else to deal with, but they cannot keep doing this forever. One day, I feel that it will bite them in the ass, and it would be impossible to just hide it. It is better to deal with these issues now and get 'em out of the way for good than to deal with them later and finding that you cannot deal with it."

"What about the development programs?"
"Apart from being used as a vehicle to encourage Kannei to move up to Oteki, I feel that it helped Oteki recover, if only slightly, from the Great Depression, since in 1950, when we were annexed by Namor in what some may call an unequal treaty, we were still worse off than in 1928. Of course, Oteki is still poorer compared to Geadland, and it may have a bit to do with the brain drain of Otekians, the violence and thus, the hesitance of people to invest in Oteki. I think devomax thus could be an acceptable solution to help ensure a rapid growth of Oteki."

"Do you think that the Anti-Secession law is fair?"
"No. I understand that Namor does not want to lose Oteki for a third time, and I can see why they may want to pass it, but even though separatists are not deprived of rights, Otekian separatists seem to be seen as a front for the CIA. That said, I feel that regardless, separatism is no longer acceptable to solve the problems of Oteki, especially if it is not democratic and multi-ethnic. But separatists seem to feel that it is the only option due to what they have faced under Namorese rule. That is why I want to have devomax in Oteki, while still being under Namorese rule, since it pleases the demands of self-rule by people living in Oteki, and allows Namor to keep some semblance of control over what they call Txotai. Maybe that will help it become the 'Land of Brotherly Peace,' which is quite ironic since the late 19th century at best."

"So, what are you plans with the Otekian National Coalition?"
"My plan is to openly advocate devomax: what I envision is that Namor keeps their authority in regards to foreign affairs, monetary affairs, defense, and social services, while Oteki has all the other powers, including education in the region. For the legislature, I'd advocate that 1/3 of the seats be Kannei, 1/3 be Otekian, and 1/3 be Geadish, so to provide a fair balance between the three groups, and most importantly, I will negotiate with the Namorese government."

"Finally, how do you see Radoslav Yulia and Kung Alicia?"
"I do not see either of them as collaborators: I see one who is Otekian who believes that Oteki should keep the status quo, and I see one who is Kannei who believes that Nantai is Luziycan. They are both humans who have their own opinions and thoughts on how to run these regions or at least help, and I can understand why they may seem like collaborators: both work for 'occupying powers,' but I feel that they have done it out of their free will, and are genuinely dedicated to the jobs they work in."

You can see the full interview here.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

New Zepuha
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zepuha » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Rebel Inquirer
For all things truly Zepuhan

The Mute Hermit
2/10/15

Freehaven - New Zepuha has been silent, and the state media has not put it's usual chip into international affairs lately. Other than a brief report on the situation of the Ocelot conflict, now resolved and pending imperialism. But what exactly is going on inside the mute hermit kingdom, what is the new Chancellor trying to pull behind the velvet curtains that he erected around the land borders? [You know, the solid walls and tight checkpoints on every inch of the land border, and increased funding to the Homeland Security Agency.] What do the people feel under the new regime? We will show you and, give you an exclusive interview with an expat who managed to survive emigration with enough cash to escape to Michilles.

If we ignore the new taxes for the sake of funding more agents under the HSA, we can start to look at the purpose of the new tightened controls on immigration and customs. The land border has become extremely tight these days, meaning the fencing that used to be there is now a tannish-gray concrete wall topped with barbedwire. The only ways in are through border checkpoints and the two mega-checkpoints to service trade. If you are a non-white of some sort trying to immigrate to the country, you are likely to wait years while your white counterparts are granted entry within a week. Now while this stinks for refugees and non-whites, we also have a problem with emigration. It is damn near impossible to leave the country for anything other than business or trade. There is a tax upon your wealth if you try to emigrate, you are taxed 60% of your total wealth before you leave the country. This essentially leaves you a pauper going into a foreign land. Not only this but you are force to renounce your citizenship and you are not permitted to leave with food or any organic made goods. Why is this occuring? Because Chancellor Knitler is planning something sinister for the country, and he wants no one to escape.

We've yet to see what the Chancellor has planned, other than the usual media suppression and no-knock raids on political opponents and workers unions. We have an expat here who escaped, from the closed death camps, after having been relocated from the camp to a temporary transition camp to a federal prison. Jerard Lunde here has a bit of info for us.

"So Jerard what can you tell us about where you were located?"

"Well, from what I could tell we were due west of a large town, maybe 10 miles out if I could reckon. I hid out in the town after my escape, never caught the name. Something with a B.."

"What type of area was this camp?"

"Well it was in the middle of woodland, made to look like a logging camp.."

"But what was the reality of it?"

"Well it was part forced labor and part extermination, those that were political prisoners worked in factories putting together ammunition and tools for the military. We were forced into these hot cramped factories from 5am to 10pm, then forced back across camp to our barracks where conditions were not much better indeed. We were given a bunkhouse with hundreds of other men and nothing but a hay strewn floor to sleep on. Meals were bread and margarine, if you could get that. Sometimes it was just hot broth. Sometimes in my mind I wished to be a non-white, at least they had a higher chance of being shot at work or gassed first."

"What about the guards?"

"Usually not present unless it was factory work time or if you got selected for a 'preventive disciplinary action', which meant that two guards would drag you off into a shed and beat you until you were out of your wits. I was selected twice before my eventual escape. Guards would sometimes get bored and drag off someone to rape or simply shoot someone off a workline."

"Well that's all we can ask for today, be sure to pick up his book, now banned in New Zepuha 3 Years in Hell."

Thank's for listening, and here's hoping the new chancellor doesn't come hunting us like the last one.

Other News

• New Zepuhan commanders in Kraq begin formulating plans to quash rebel movements inside the country and to prop up the current regime.
  • Namor continues to ignore the issue in it's face, their own human and civil rights abuses too much to come to grips with. Chancellor Knitler suprisingly stated, "The Oteki people are being abused and suppressed by Namorese thugs."
  • Ainin's authoritarianism was quashed by it's own courts, ruling martial law to be unconstitutional.
| Mallorea and Riva should resign | Sic Semper Tyrannis |
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1372 ($337 with sales)
  • Games owned: 106
  • Games not played: 34 (32%)
  • Hours on record: 2,471h

Likes: Libertarians, Law Enforcement, NATO, Shinzo Abe, Taiwan, Angele Merkel, Ron Paul, Israel, Bernie Sanders
Dislikes: Russia, Palestine, Socialism, 'Feminism', Obama, Mitch Daniels, DHS, Mike Pence, UN

[13:31] <Koyro> I want to be cremated, my ashes put into a howitzer shell and fired at the White House.

Dhomland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dhomland » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:51 pm

6 referendums will be held tomorrow in Dhomland

Referendum

As previously announced, tomorrow will hold a referendum in Dhomland with six questions. Four questions was requested by conservative group Protect Family and these questions are associated with banning gay marriage. The remaining two questions are requested by trade unions. Here are six questions that people will respond and make decisions.

-Do you agree that only an union between one man and one woman can be called marriage?
-Do you agree that same-sex couples or groups should not be allowed to adopt and raise children?
-Do you agree that schools cannot require children to participate in education pertaining to sexual behaviour or euthanasia if the children or their parents don't agree?
-Do you agree that any future same-sex registred partnerships should be prohibited?

-Do you agree with limitating salaries in a company to 12 times the lowest paid worker?
-Do you agree that privatization of motorways should be prohibited?

Dhomland has a long tradition of direct democracy and a lot of decisions have been passed in this way. To make the decision in the referendum binding, turnout must be 50%. However, since 1992, none of the referendums fell because of low turnout.

COMMENTS
Bongo
So proud to be a citizen of such a democratic country. Let people decide! 507 2

Mirco
Very cool and democratic way to make decisions! 185 9

Ernest
Limitation of salaries?? This is a pure socialism. Vote NO! 32 30

Obicantip

Let's get rid of fag*ots 95 97

Love&Peace

This is such a homophobic referendum. Tiranny of majority!!!!! 12 108

Last edited by Dhomland on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Support: Nationalism, Patriotism, Libertarianism, Conservatism, Christianity, Judaism, Democracy, Constitutional monarchism, ECR group, EPP group, NATO, Margaret Thatcher, Ron Paul

Oppose: All totalitarian ideologies, Socialism, Militant atheism, Republicanism, Statism

FACTBOOK: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Dhomland

POLITICAL COMPASS: Economic Left/Right: 6.50; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.59

Michillies
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Michillies » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:14 pm

-retconned-
Last edited by Michillies on Wed May 11, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sereníssima Reppública Hesperiana

Accept no substitutes!

Kraq
Attaché

Founded: Mar 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraq » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Free Kraqi News Internationl

Jihadists Declare Txotai To Be Apart of the Caliphate
A screenshot from the video, depicting the Caliphate's flag over the "Oteki Wilayat"

10th February, 2015
In a video released by the so called "Caliphate", a group of ethnic Otekian Muslims extremists claiming to be part of the Caliphate terrorist group have declared Txotai to be apart of the Caliphate before going to say that Txotai shall be a spring board to liberate Nordania with all other “occupied lands”. The minute-long footage shows three men speaking in Luziycan with Namorese subtitles and saying that the "Caliphate" will take over Oteki from the Namorese infidels.

“Today I tell you that are Islamic Caliphate has expand to include a new wilayat [province] of Oteki. Soon the Islamic Caliphate shall expand to include all of Geadland and Western Namor, God willing, with the might of Allah. Already, thousands of are Otekian brothers have converted to the one true religion of this earth and have raised Allah's one true flag over the Oteki Wilayat” said one of the extremists, later adding. "Oteki will only be the beginning, the Islamic Caliphate will not stop at Oteki. We shall forge northwards to destroy the infidels in the north [Vyvland, Nevanmaa, Nordania] and spread are Islamic Caliphate across the world."

“I say to the entire world as a warning: We are living under the Islamic banner, the Islamic Caliphate. We are going to die for it until we liberate all the occupied lands.”

The footage has not yet been independently verified, but it would not be the first video released by the group since the Irvadi Emirate and Islamic Courts merger to form the Caliphate. Only two weeks ago, Caliphate released a propaganda video entitled: “Jihad Is Are Only Life” in which Luziycan and Arkiasin members of the group appealed in English for Muslims across the world to join their cause.

The extremist group has been engaged in combat against the Pro-government Irvadi and Kraqi ground forces for the past 20 years, resulting in the wholesale destruction of both countries. On 18 January 2015 the leader of Emirate, Ebrahim Ridha Ahmad announced the creation of an unified Caliphate, encompassing the lands that the Emirate and Islamic Courts has taken under its control. He also called on Muslims throughout the world to join the cause and fight for Caliphate.

In Other News
  • Why the world has it's prorities all wrong and the "Letter of Millions" prove it
  • Moderate rebels capture half of Ragobad international Airport from the regime
  • One week until Michillies holds local elections

Scotia-99
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scotia-99 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm

((OOC: Firstly, the River Tweed is what separates the border town of Berwick, Scotian Borders, Scotia, from the district of Xhinan, Namor. Secondly, I use the term "world" in the sense that I consider Esquarium to be a globe in and out of itself (That is, I DON'T recognize nations from other regions and RL) ))

10 February, 2015

OP-ED: Did we just see Arthur Griffin cause a cascading screw-up in two countries?
By: Michael Abercrombie

Arthur Griffin: the Teachda Dàla who managed to perform the stupendous feat of
screwing two completely unrelated countries across Esquarium.

Oh, what a crazy week we're having. If you've been living under a rock for some time now, the leader of the far-right Scotian National Party Arthur Griffin (who recently made headlines a month ago by calling for the annexation of the Ocelot Isles to Scotia), just called Radoslava Yulia, the public prosecutor of the Namorese autonomous republic of Txotai, a "fool and a bloody hypocrite" after she posted her rebuttal (on the Mojing Times) on the recent "Letter of Millions" that's been floating around in recent days.

However, in a suprising twist, he also took the time to excoriate Namor's treatment of the native Otekian population by saying that "you get the sense that the average Otekian lives no better than the average Black Nevan in his country [Nevanmaa]." And judging from the social media atmosphere and the recent news reports across Esquarium, it's pretty fair to say that the "Clown of Cowcaddens", as people here in fair Scotia call him, has managed to create a cascading screw-up in completely unrelated countries across the world.

That's right. We're not kidding.

First, we go across the river Tweed to our neighbors in Namor. Barely had a few hours gone by since he "called" Yulia out compared Otekians to "Northern Negroes" (as the Nevans call them) on an interview with the Scotia Times, and the responses were suprisingly quick, and as usual, for the TD who cannot even step foot in the country for other comments in the past about how Scotia should annex Xhinan and Xhipei, completely negative. Under the hashtag "#LoveNevanmaaWeek", they're now planning to act like Nevans for a week on Thursday, just to prove a point. As the comedian Sao Hua told his Twitter followers, "Act like a Nevan when Thursday comes, because we treat minorities like Negroes!" Several Otekians are also speaking out as well, such as track athlete Regana Alyona who said, "Our nation is being wrongly portrayed and I must speak out." It was so outrageous that several Qianrongese (who have mostly bad feelings for Namor, and then again Luziyca and Nevanmaa) have spoken out, including one Twitter user who said that Mr. Griffin "needs to shut up until he proves his stupidity isn't contagious." At present, you could also read the RFQ (which is edited by Otekian Csedomir Pantejmonov) op-ed about how much damage Griffin has done to the Otekian cause.

So, mucking things up in one country is enough. But having the SNP leader muck things up in two countries would be completely mind-boggling. Unfortunately, he has managed to do just that.

Which brings us to the goings-on in the Most Serene Michillian Republic. Local elections are scheduled for Sunday (which happens to be Nevan National Day; don't tell your Michillian friends, or even Isabella Pèscarinos-Hirsch, if you have kids around), and if polls are correct, all the monarchist parties will struggle to even get a seat in the local councils for the first time since the controversial "Defense of the Republic Act", which banned monarchist parties from ever forming in the country, was stricken down by its constitutional court last year. There is now a referendum right now on a so-called "Defense of the Republic Amendment", which would in effect overturn the court decision. Though it has little chance of passing the parliament if it passes the public vote (all the major parties have declared their opposition to the amendment), immediately after #LoveNevanmaaDay was announced (which was, as we pointed that out caused by Arthur Griffin), the "Yes" camp suddenly surged to make the vote a virtual dead-heat. And that's because if there's one thing Nevans hate besides blacks, it's republicans. After all, we see that every day in the country where republican parties are banned, and even insulting King Juhani III's entire family could get you time in prison. As Mártin Jonpètros, chairman of the New Alliance party, put it succinctly, "Nevanmaa gets to ban republicans without anyone batting an eyelid. Why not let us do the same thing?"

So yes, if there's one thing that could sum up this utterly insane week, it's this: Arthur Griffin has managed to muck things up in two completely unrelated countries across Esquarium.

And the worst part is, it's not over yet. During that same interview with the Scotia Times, Mr. Griffin hinted that he would make a surprise at the Dàil next Monday. If it's any indication, he's probably going to introduce legislation that will "solve the whole problem once and for all," whatever that is. And most likely, it's going to offend Namorese , or even Nevans, given that he's also persona non grata for calling for the annexation of the Outer Nevan realm of Pyrelonia, even more.

Bravo, "Clown of Cowcaddens"! Bravo indeed.
Last edited by Scotia-99 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
Political Beliefs:
Right: 4.35, Libertarian: 1.09 Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 1.16 Cultural Liberal: -0.48
For: capitalism, conservative libertarianism, neoconservatism (foreign policy), atlanticism, zionism, US, UK, Ireland, EU, Philippines

West Cedarbrook
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby West Cedarbrook » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:49 pm

End of Year FSR: BW&S & CCB Improve, But Still Have A Long Way To Go

The West Cedarbrook Central Bank released it's 4th Quarter 2014 Financial Stability Report. Speaking to the press at the bank's East 9th Street headquarters, Board Member Adam Tylicki summarized the results as showing the continued impact of the early decade recession in commercial banking, but praised the leading savings and mortgage institutions in improving Acid Test results above 900. "The continued maintenance of underperforming assets, particularly for the two largest commercial banks, and revised terms for expansion loans in the consumer sector are the weak spots we see last year. Some on the WCCB board favor reviewing the prime rate for commercial lenders later in the year, if this trend continues." Tylicki added that the proposed rate cut was only a consideration, and not a guarantee. "We would need to review the results, probably by mid-year. We would also like to see commercial banking make more of an attempt to reduce it's load of non-performing loans. Bankruptcy proceedings for major creditors should be wrapped up by mid-year, and we will evaluate the resulting settlements in terms of any rate decision", he added.

The report praised closer monitoring of mortgage loans, and indicated that rules installed under the Feld administration are displaying progress in restoring health to the residential and agricultural sectors. The preface to the Mortgage and Savings Summary stated "these rules, in terms of mandatory down payment, and valuation of collateral should stay in place, and should be viewed now as the normal in terms of markets served by Mortgage and Savings".

BW&S, Commercial Credit Improve; Still Below 900
The two leading commercial banks, Bank of Wrycova & Steinhouse and Commercial Credit Bank improved their Acid Test Ratings, BW&S by 1 point to 833, and CCB to 857 from 826. A spokesman at BW&S said "Now it's hard to improve the acid test; we're still suffering from assumption of bad debt as part of the 2012 and 2013 bail out deals. The industrial loan renegotiation for mid-sized customers, particularly in the transportation equipment market has been a heavy hit, as has been consolidation of loans for shippers impacted by last year's East Namor Sea incidents and redpapers. We are hoping that terms for the shippers can be renegotiated, if the reconciliation between WETO and opposing powers bring stability to the East Namor Sea region, and would like to see an acceleration of repayment of existing shipping loans." BW&S common stock fell 2.1% in after hours trading on the Financial Stability Report results.

Yehoshua Coastal Development Corp i.e. had an Acid Test fall to 927 from 946. The report indicated the company was slow and dilatory in meeting norms for Common Equity (incl of buffer) at 3.5%, Tier 1 requirement at 5%, and Total Capital of 10% of risk weighted assets. YCD missed the Common Equity requirement by .095% in the last quarter, and lagged the Total Capital mark coming in at 9.965% of reisk weighted assets. Total Capital slipped from 9.901% in the third quarter of 2014.

The Fairmount-Novak bank maintained it's rating in the 900's, but slipped to 912 from 967. This was seen as reflective of it's late year gambit in small and mid cap venture capital aimed at mobile applications and tech start-ups. A spokesman at the bank's headquarters told the Morning Star that the move is part of a larger strategy toward serving young enterprises, and that the bank's audit committee will reevaluate the approach if next quarter's report continues to decline. F-N's Acid Test rating was consistent with other major regional commercial banks, Southern State Commercial and First of Charleroi, also posting results in the low 900's.

Savings Acid Test Above 900; Dynerstein Aggregate Risk Falls to C

All leading Savings and Mortgage Banks showed Acid Test results above 900 for the quarter, a significant improvement for several. Great Western Savings Bank improved it's Aggregate Risk Category to A, while Dynerstein Savings' Category slipped further to C.

The Wrycova and North Central Home Bank, the nation's largest home savings company saw it's Acid Test results decline to 947 from the previous quarter's 968. A glut of condominiums on Wrycova's North Side is being blamed for the lower test results. In an effort to staunch the Acid Test slide, mortgage loan origination from the institution is expecting to decline 4.2% this year in the capital's North and West sides. It's Aggregate Risk rating remains at A, although reports from within the bank indicate a surcharge of .5% - .6% on down payments for homes valued under 175,000 Zugs is planned for later this summer.

First Central Savings and Loan showed a major Acid Test improvement, from 859 to 928. The report cited several upgrades to the company's PILOT default likelihood system late last year as contributing to higher quality residential loans. The WCCB also praised First Central's move into Agricultural Co-operative facilities and equipment financing, and expansion of the company's footprint deeper into Coastal State. Great Western Savings Bank similarly jumped it's Acid Test results to 924 from 871, and it's Aggregate Risk Category moved to A. This removes major regulatory penalties on Great Western. The Acid Test improvement reduces it's cash reserve requirments by 1.5%, and it's Aggregate Risk Category allows it to sell residential mortgages at a 20% down payment on homes valued more than 650,000 zugs, down 2% from Category B restrictions.

Although Dynerstein Savings' Acid Test results jumped to 959 from 922, the Aggregate Risk Category fell to C, lowest of all leading savings banks. The Central Bank's notes on Dynerstein cite overexposure in it's nationwide footprint, particularly weakness in the Wrycova condo market, falling ranch land values in the western badlands and Ohio valley due to weather problems this spring, and the need for a more coherent residential loan policy following two years of management chaos, indicated by the firing of it's three last COOs. Dynerstein's stock fell 4.9% following the reports release.

Banking Policy Under Discussion; Zeller Says He Can Do Better
Group-15 leader, and Steinhouse mayoral candidate Gerard Zeller commented on the report, using it as a platform to preach investment in infrastructure, and high-tech. "Results are weak where banks are still trying to bail out some of West Cedarbrook's dinosaurs. Some of the old mainstays, steel, consumer electronics, shipping, can do a lot of self financing. Forward looking bankers need to pay attention to the opportunities in software, services, and other intellectual property. And I intend to boost Steinhouse into the forefront of West Cedarbrook, through increasing educational opportunities across the board, starting in elementary education. And we'll start right away fixing those beat-up secondary streets, particularly in North City, and roads leading to Ulam Field. The "El" is going to get a good solid makeover too. Steinhouse can't grow wearing the same pants as in the 1950's. And I'll do it even if I have to drag the Conservatives in kicking and screaming".

Former President Louis B. Steinberg noted the lower Acid Test ratings of several of the larger commercial banks. Speaking after the funeral of former President Nelson Leibowitz, he said "The largest commercial banks are still constrained by poor Acid Test results. But this gives opportunity to the runner-ups and second tier commercial banks. I would advise the President and the Senate to go easy on regulation at that level. At this time, there needs to be freedom for growth, even taking into account reasonable risk".

Conservative Wrycova Senator Édouard Naphtali, Chairman of the Senate Commercial Banking Committee said "While BW&S and Commercial Credit results aren't what I'd like to see, making good on Acid Test requirements remain a work in progress. These are the institutions called upon to shore up the economy back in 2012, and we can't expect instant results. I view this quarter's FSR results as a sign that the President's prudent approach to regulation and bank stability is working".

Port Yehoushua Senator Zechariah Schalit, Independent List charged "The big banks are the same goniffs that screwed us up in '12, and need strong supervision. Although the savings banks are more for the working man, a close eye is needed on their operations too. If we let down our guard, they'll be in your pocket in no time, and we'll be up to our gederim in foreclosures again. Overall, the average guy is right to distrust them."
OOC:
Pro America, Pro Israel, Pro India (BJP)
Pro Bush!

Greonterp
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greonterp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Greonlian Parliament will have vote on lowering top income tax bracket.

ImageLars Nyborg of the Liberal Forum authored the bill.

Boswald - Lars Nyborg, a parliamentarian from the centrist Liberal Forum, has proposed a bill that would lower the top income tax bracket from 45% to 40%.

The bill will be voted on within the next few weeks, and has garnered significant controversy throughout Greonterp. Protestors have gathered in the Boswald Square to protest the bill, wielding signs that read "no more tax cuts for the rich" and "welfare not class warfare."

The organizer behind a trade union attending the protests has made the following comments.

"Lily Van Boelle already cut the top income tax, and inequality has risen. Greonterp cannot face another cut in income taxes. It's unfeasible during these times of near deflation, and it'll hurt the poor," said Anders Faagh, a trade union organizer.

However, proponents of the bill have stated that the bill would provide a boost to the Greonlian economy, and give taxpayers a "much needed break."

"Last year, the economy grew at a respectable 3.6%. I'd attribute this to the free market reforms of the Van Boelle government, who got us through the recession. Greonterp needs to continue it's business and investor friendly image by lowering taxes. Now that we've weathered the recession, I do believe we can afford it," said Lars Nyborg, the main author of the bill.

Lars Nyborg, the author, is a member of the Liberal Forum, a party that's become increasingly polarized in recent years. According to various sources, the majority of Liberal Forum members are wary of this bill. Nyborg has occasionally implied that if his party votes against the bill, he'll create his own political party.

"I'm not saying that I will launch my own party, but it's in the back of my mind. If my party doesn't support the ideals of liberalism that we supposedly stand for, why should I remain a member," inquired Nyborg.

Prime Minister Anna Sørensen, and many members of the centre right Christian Democratic Alliance, have thrown their support behind the bill. Anna Sørensen, who is a self proclaimed market liberal, helped co-author the bill, and has said the following,

"Tax cuts will not harm Greonterp, and while public opinion is deeply divided, I feel that people should stop appealing to emotion. Tax cuts will result in greater prosperity. Perhaps when we start seeing even higher GDP growth, we can lower even more taxes," said PM Anna Sørensen.

While investors seem happy about the news, public opinion on the issue is very polarized. 41% of people polled said that they support the bill, while 50% of those polled said they are "vehemently opposed to this bill." If the bill garners even more momentum, protests can be expected to grow even larger, and possibility grow larger than the Leeuwarden Independence Referendum protests that we saw earlier this month.
Last edited by Greonterp on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingdom of Greonterp

Geadland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 pm

The Liberal reports
A BETTER WAY TO DEFEND THE REPUBLIC
Why Michillies should vote against banning monarchism

The Most Serene Michillian Republic sure enjoys being a republic. Its anthem is entitled "Republic, the Eternal", its armed forces are called the "Republican Militia" and no less than three public holidays commemorate the struggle and victory against the absolute monarchy that controlled the country from 1865 to 1914. And until last December, the "Defence of the Republic Act" banned the advocacy of monarchism or the display of monarchy-related symbols. It was struck down as being unconstitutional by the national supreme court, but opponents petitioned for a constitutional amendment to allow the ban to be reinstated. This is one of two constitutional amendments that Michillians will vote on next Saturday.

The Liberal has often stated its opposition to monarchism. We would favour the abolition of all monarchies (see Down with the Kings, December 2014), even those that exist in democratic countries. This comes from our belief that monarchies promote an outdated idea: that merit and oppertunity are determined by your parentage and not by the content of your character. Abolishing a constitutional monarchy would only be a cosmetic change, though, and our support for democracy greatly outweighs our opposition to monarchism. Democracy coexists with a monarchy in Geadland, Lyonsland and Scotia. On the other hand, some republics are unfree, including Koyro and Ziegenhain. Michillies recently backed the overthrow of the Ocelot Isles junta - another unfree republic. The problems caused by monarchy are almost insignificant compared to those that are caused by authoritarianism.

The Michillian referendum should not be treated as a vote on whether the monarchy should be restored. A recent opinion poll found that only 2% of Michillians want their monarchy back - a similar situation to most republics. No republic has reinstated a monarchy in recent years. In the republics of Arkiasis, Bleckonia and Namor, it is entirely legal to advocate restoring their respective monarchies, all of which were toppled over 100 years ago. Few are interested. And just because a Michillian thinks restoring the monarchy is a good idea does not mean he or she will definitely vote for a single-issue monarchist party - there are plenty of more important issues in an election. Ahead of the upcoming Michillian local elections, which will be held on the same day, pollsters concluded that there was no evidence that monarchist parties were likely to win any of the 12,750 council seats up for grabs.

Nor should it be treated as a vote on whether to legalise the Knights of the Blessed Saphire, a much-hated terrorist group whose aim is to restore the monarchy of Michillies, and which the exiled House of Carlsbad has sometimes supported and never condemned. Hardline anti-monarchists in Michillies argue that because of this, monarchism in Michillies is inherently an extremist ideology. But a counter-example exists - a peripheral political party called Michillians for Benevolent Monarchism advocates restoring a monarchy and does not support the Knights' actions. Not all Michillian monarchists are extremists and treating all as such is neither expedient nor morally right. A better way to defend the republic is to keep the Knights banned - not because of what they say, but because of what they do.

No, this referendum should not be treated as a battle between republicanism and monarchism but a battle between free speech and hypocrisy. We are endorsing a no vote for three reasons. Firstly, there is a moral argument. Is it right that a Michillian monarchist who abides by the rules of democracy and only wants the best for the country deserves to have the right to free speech taken away? Then there is the problem that banning monarchism and far-right ideologies could create a slippery slope, leading to the banning of other ideologies and political movements. But the most damaging effect of the Defence of the Republic Act was that it prevented Michillies from being able to act as a moral authority, and affected their allies in this respect too. When the Defence of the Republic Act was in force, Michillies sent a message to other countries that it is okay to ban ideologies that your citizens hate.

Mártin Jonpètros, the chair of the Michillian New Alliance party, recently tweeted that "Nevanmaa gets to ban republicans without anyone batting an eyelid. Why not let us do the same thing?" Here is an answer: because Michillies is a free country and Nevanmaa is not. If a country needs to guarantee free speech, it is not enough to provide it for the 'loyal opposition' (as is the case in Nevanmaa). It must be provided for the radical, the provocative, the unpopular and the unpatriotic. Almost all democracies impose some limits on this, to prevent the right to free speech from clashing with other rights. But the Defence of the Republic Act was an example on how not to do it. For this reason, Michillians should vote against bringing it back.

Other articles:
  • West Ainin should have a referendum - and then vote to stay
  • Freedom of the press in Namor
  • Why self-sufficiency is inefficient
Last edited by Geadland on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kingdom of Geadland (Κογνερηικ Γαυδλȣνδ)
Wiki - Factbook - Map - Language - Esquarium Region - Embassy Program

Nevamaa
Envoy

Founded: Oct 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevamaa » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:45 pm

News in Brief

Visit Nevanmaa campaign to use #LoveNevanmaa week to promote tourism

NEVANLINNA - Visit Nevanmaa, the tourist campaign coordinated by Nevan ministries of Culture and Foreign Affairs has announced that it is going to use the #LoveNevanmaa campaign taking place in Nevanmaa in order to attract Namorese tourists to Nevanmaa. The campaign, which will consist of adverts, commercials and various public stunts is expected to take place in Namor for the next two weeks.

The #LoveNevanmaa campaign started this week when Scotian far-right politician Arthur Griffin compared conditions in which Otekians live to those of Northern Negroes and has achieved widespread popularity. The Liberator, which is the largest newspaper in Namor, altered its logo to feature a Nevan flag, and photos of fried vendace meals have filled Namorese twitter feeds.

Though the reaction is very much tongue-in-cheek, Visit Nevanmaa campaign manager Tuuli Savinen is confident. "#LoveNevanmaa campaign has created more interest towards Nevanmaa among the Namorese people, and we want to offer them a chance to see and experience Nevanmaa by themselves. With new low-cost airlines and ferries, Nevanmaa is more accessible than ever."

The campaign, which will use slogans such as "There is so much more to see" and "If you love it, come and see it" is scheduled to start tomorrow and will also attempt to clear misconceptions held by the Namorese regarding Nevanmaa. According to Savinen, "many Namorese people have told me that they didn't think they could travel to Nevanmaa because of their race. That is absolutely not true. Nevanmaa welcomes all guests, of all creeds and of all colors."

What is the best way to help Michillian monarchists? Apparently it's to shut up

NEVANLINNA - With Defence of the Republic act gone and municipal elections approaching, dozens and dozens of eager monarchists are seeking ways to help their monarchist bretheren in Michillies who have emerged from hiding. But according to Erkko Kivi, a professor of political science at the University of Kaarela, the best way to help is to "shut up".

"While massive monetary donations, fancy statements from the Royal Society of Monarchists and public support from political leaders and celebrities might seem like a good way to help, these people often underestimate the Nevaphobia common in the Michillies." Kivi said. "We could send them a box of puppies and they would club them to death for being from Nevanmaa. The best hope for Michillian monarchists is if they are not associated with us."

This might prove rather difficult, as Nevanmaa is currently the temporary home of the Michillian king and royal family; any monarchist movement would be more or less associated with us. According to Kivi, the solution is to keep a low profile. "For an ordinary armchair monarchist, this means you shouldn't fill your Twitter feed with pro-monarchy posts, and you most definitely should aim to keep Nevan and Michillian monarchies separate. They might live here, but they are not Nevan nor are they destined to stay here".

So far, all high-profile Nevan politicians, parties and organizations including the Royal Society have heeded Kivi's call and refused to give any statements regarding the upcoming election. But whether that will be enough remains to be seen: It only takes one dumbass with a big mouth to ruin the progress that Michillian monarchists have so dearly worked on during the past few months.

Government to withdraw Esquarian Community application by March

NEVANLINNA - Prime Minister Tuomas Hyvärinen has announced that Nevanmaa intends to withdraw its Esquarian Community application by March "unless a clear response to Nevanmaa's application is given, and official negotiations for memberships are held".

Nevanmaa applied for Esquarian Community membership last January; Nevanmaa's membership was voted upon, with the result being 2 ayes, 5 conditional ayes and 3 nays. Negotiations were due to start soon afterwards, but were constantly delayed and eventually forgotten after the 2014 general election. Rantala's short-lived government had its hands full with various other issues and did not touch upon the issue at all, and neither did Matias Kettunen's caretaker government.

Before the 2015 election, National Coalition promised that it would not seek to withdraw Nevanmaa's application. Hyvärinen responded that "it is not us who are about to withdraw it; it is the Esquarian Community that has kept the application frozen for over a year."

It remains to be seen whether Nevanmaa's application will remain frozen or whether negotiations will be restarted. All three major parties support Nevan EC membership, and as such it has been proposed that either Oskari Paasio [of SDP] or Jyrki Kauramo [of LIB] could lead the negotiations instead of PM Hyvärinen. While setting a new precedent (His Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition has generally never supported policies of the governing party in such a way), it could be argued that the more liberal politicians might have a better chance to open EC's doors for Nevan membership than right-wing Hyvärinen.
[/size]
Last edited by Nevamaa on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Hippo
Factbook

Scotia-99
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scotia-99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 pm

11 February, 2015

#GriffinisInsane: Scotians react to latest Griffin controversy

Social media is abuzz over
the Griffin's latest controversy

ABERLEFEN, SCOTIA - Social media has been abuzz this past few days over the latest controversy regarding the far-right Scotian National Party leader Arthur Griffin's comments regarding the treatment of Otekians in the Namorese autonomous republic of Txotai.

Ever since the SNP leader has given the interview with the Scotia Times in which he called the autonomous republic's Public Prosecutor Radoslavia Yulia a "bloody hypocrite" before claiming that "the average Otekian lives no better than the average Black Nevan in his country," reaction across Esquarium was varied. In response to Griffin's accusations, Namorese people from all across the political spectrum decided to celebrate "#LoveNevanmaaWeek" and try to act like Nevans for a week.

In Scotia, Twitter users reacted with disgust over the recent controversy. One user said yesterday, "God, this week is f*cking insane," while another wished that "[the people in the SNP leader's constituency of Cowcaddens South] stop voting for [Griffin]."

Also following the controversy was the Duneden Courier, which today published an op-ed which stated that Griffin was responsible for not only "screwing with [Namor]" but also with Michillies, where a referendum on whether to reinstate the Defense of the Republic Act as a constitutional amendment is scheduled for Saturday. Immediately after the Namorese reaction, polls reported a sudden surge for the "Yes" camp, making the vote split. Reacting today, one Twitter user commented, "Somewhere in Dumfries, Isabella's head must be spinning right now," (with the Twitter hashtags #DefensaDaReppublicca and #GriffinisInsane) referring to the hit children's animation series Isabella, Girl Genius.

The Scotian National Party spokesperson refused to comment.
Last edited by Scotia-99 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Beliefs:

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:43 pm

A gyp is rightfully slain by a saintly Lombardian!
Schiavo Padyatri at St. Sara's Church, 2014 (right)

FIRENZE, LOMBARDIA - In a gated community in Firenze's suburbs, 17 year old gypsy boy Schiavo Padyatri was shot dead by the neighborhood watch coordinator in the gated community of "Collina Albero" (One Tree Hill), 49-year old Adalrico D'Arpino.

Yesterday, at 7:25 pm local time, Adalrico saw Schiavo Padyatri walking from a convenience store and called the Firenze Police Department, explaining that "We've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy." He described the male as a "five foot eleven inch guy who looks like a gyp, and is up to no good at all, like a subhuman, and has a black hoodie. He's looking at houses and appears to be carrying a weapon." D'Arpino then informs the dispatcher that Schiavo is running and pointed the direction: afterwards, the dispatcher told him to not run, but D'Arpino says, "it is my duty to stop him, for they always get away with it." The call ends there.

At 7:29 pm, gunshots rung out, and at 7:31 pm, the Firenze Police Department arrived. D'Arpino was questioned for five hours, but was released this morning due to proof that he was defending against himself. However, some witnesses questioned the account presented by Adalrico D'Arpino.

"I was waiting for my daughter's friend to be picked up by her mother," explained Tarsilla Ianni, resident at Collina Albero. "Suddenly, I see a car crash into another: we live across where relatives of Padyatri live, his grandparents on his father's side, and I saw Adalrico D'Arpino step out, and force the driver, Schiavo Padyatri to get out of the car. D'Arpino then grabbed Padyatri by the ear and cuff, and shoved him on the street. He then took out his gun, and fired one, two, maybe four shots at him, and then left him to bleed to death."

This assertion was confirmed by Bunnu Padyatri, grandmother of Schiavo Padyatri who was waiting for Schiavo Padyatri to return to her home to spend the night, when she said that "I saw a middle-aged man crash his car marked 'SICUREZZA' into my grandson's car, and then he grabbed my grrandson by the neck and pushed him on the ground, beating his head a few times. My grandson was saying, 'Ma ke gare?' (What did I do?) and that man said, 'Hai rotto nelle case qui. Si deve pagare!' (You broke into the homes here. You must pay!) Then that man fired four times, and left my son to die."

More as the story develops.

In other news
  • Namor - #LoveNevanmaa Week begins, anti-racist organizations condemn it, saying that "it offends those oppressed by the Nevans."
  • Nevanmaa - #LoveNevanmaa Week used to attract tourists to Nevanmaa
  • Greonterp - Income taxes for the job creators to be lowered
  • West Cedarbrook - Local banks improve their standards, but still long way to go
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

East Carrolina
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby East Carrolina » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 am

Carolina to hold Parliamentary elections

Today, Carolina will be holding parliamentary elections. The elections were announced a month ago by General David Alanson, as part of his promise to transition Carolina back to democracy. Parliament was disbanded during the Carolinian Civil War, when the nation was in chaos, and Communist revolutionaries managed to take Austin. Then General David Alanson took power in the north and drove the communists back toward the south. General Alanson promised he would bring back the democracy when the communists were finally defeated. Its been 10 years since reunification, and he is now finally doing so. Parliamentary elections will begin today, and some analysts claim there will Presidential elections coming up as well. Tyler Manson, Austin, CNN News.

Dhomland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dhomland » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Referendum Results!!!!!

Today, Dhomish citizens voted in the referendum and decided on six questions:
-Do you agree that only an union between one man and one woman can be called marriage?
-Do you agree that same-sex couples or groups should not be allowed to adopt and raise children?
-Do you agree that schools cannot require children to participate in education pertaining to sexual behaviour or euthanasia if the children or their parents don't agree?
-Do you agree that any future same-sex registred partnerships should be prohibited?
-Do you agree with limitating salaries in a company to 12 times the lowest paid worker?
-Do you agree that privatization of motorways should be prohibited?

Turnout was very high, 88%, which shows the great interest of citizens in politics.
"I am very happy that the turnout was high. The power belongs to the people and this referendum proved that!" said Mislav Duran, prime minister of Dhomland. When a reporter asked him what he thinks about the outcome of the referendum, he just said: "The will of the citizens shall not be questioned. That would be totalitarianism."
LGBT groups are not satisfied. "Now there is discrimination in our constitution. Who knows how long gay people won't be able to marry or adopt children. The only thing I am glad that the citizens refused to prohibit registered partnerships. Therefore, I appeal to the government to legalize it" said one of the members of the LGBT community.
Trade unions are partially satisfied. "Out of the two suggestions that we have proposed one is accepted and the other one is rejected. I am glad that citizens recognized motorways as a national interest." said Sanko Vonther, a trade unionist.
It is important to note that this is the first referendum in Dhomish history, which consisted of more than three questions.

Last edited by Dhomland on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Support: Nationalism, Patriotism, Libertarianism, Conservatism, Christianity, Judaism, Democracy, Constitutional monarchism, ECR group, EPP group, NATO, Margaret Thatcher, Ron Paul

Oppose: All totalitarian ideologies, Socialism, Militant atheism, Republicanism, Statism

FACTBOOK: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Dhomland

POLITICAL COMPASS: Economic Left/Right: 6.50; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.59

Namor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:23 pm

"Love Nevanmaa Week" kicks off across country in protest of Namor-Nevanmaa comparison by Scotian politician
The Liberator is observing Love Nevanmaa Week by changing its logo to show to Nevan and Arnborgese flags. This logo will be displayed on our editions starting today until next Thursday, when the logo will be returned to normal. We hope our readers understand - Happy Love Nevanmaa Week. - Bao Chi, Editor

Наморайин | English

NATIONWIDE - "Love Nevanmaa Week" has begun, and many Namorese are observing the week to mock the claim made by far-right Scotian politician Arthur Griffin that Namor is as bad as Nevanmaa and Otekians are worse off than Black Nevans. Griffin's claim was met with heavy criticism from Namorese of all walks of life, and provoked the idea of reserving an entire week to "act like Nevans," first seen on social media.
"Love Nevanmaa Week" as it looked in Kusef's Freedom Square. Citizens filled the square,
waved Nevan flags and sang the Nevan anthem repeatedly

Love Nevanmaa Week kicked off in the morning, as several scheduled rallies took place in the public squares of major Namorese cities. In Namo's Liberation Square, thousands of people waving Nevan flags (some even wearing Nevan clothing) sang the Namorese anthem during the daily flag-raising ceremony. Afterwards, another ceremony occurred - the raising of the Nevan flag on another flagpole that was just set up, and is shorter than the Liberation Square flagpole but was still visible to all participants. As the Nevan flag was raised, citizens broke into choruses of the Nevan anthem, the Nevanhymni, a known anthem of the monarchist restoration movement.

Then, the crowd chanted "Nola ai Nevama (We love Nevanmaa)," "Wanguk Vanse (Long Live the King[dom])" and "Bajin Vanse (Long Live White People)." Elsewhere in Namo, a rally was organized outside the Nevan embassy that was attended by hundreds of people. A similar rally gathered outside the Luziycan embassy too, despite the fact that mocking Luziyca isn't the main purpose of this movement.

"Thank to Mr. Griffin I finally learned something," Sao Hua, comedian who was active in promoting Love Nevanmaa Week, said. "I learned that if I support national unity and oppose separatism, not to mention foreign countries like Luziyca sending peeps over here to mess things up, I am a person who comes from Nevanmaa, hates blacks and wishes to see all ethnic minorities who aren't like me deported from the country and deprived of their citizenship. Thanks, Mr. Griffin, I love your country's educational system! I mean, maybe schools in your place aren't that bad after all!"

Many of those who participated in the spoof pro-Nevanmaa rally in Liberation Square made less satirical criticism against Griffin's rhetoric.

"Don't fool me, Griffin, I know how people in this country - my country - live," one resident of Namo said. "Otekians are considered Namorese citizens and Namorese nationals both. But you're making it look like Otekians - if not any ethnic minorities - are disenfranchised people who the government plans on exporting to other countries by the end of this century, and that Kannei are not allowed to marry non-Kannei and have children. I've heard many insane politicians say insane things, but Griffin's really crossed the line."

"Racist, Pro-Unity Dishes"

In downtown Namo, several restaurants changed their menus temporarily so that Nevan foods are added, and, if ordered, can be served at a lower price. The Harbor Hall (Gong-Lo) - which was ranked the top restaurant in Namo's Dacheng area by local magazine Dichu - served fried vendace with potatoes, Nevanmaa's national dish, under the category of "Racist, Pro-Unity Dishes." Customers who ate at the Harbor Hall and ordered food under this category were given a free Nevan flag and a Nevan-language phrasebook.

Speaking of food, fried vendace with potatoes are not only served in the Harbor Hall, but in tables throughout the country. Many on Twitter suggested that they prepare the "racist dish" every day in Love Nevanmaa Week, and since then many pictures have come up showing families preparing, serving and eating fried vendace with potatoes. One person from Nozama called it "a break from traditional cuisine."

"My family and I are eating fried vendance with potatoes tonight, because we are being told that opposing Otekian independence and rejecting foreign-backed subversion is equivalent to supporting Nevanmaa's racial laws," a person shopping for ingredients in a local supermarket in Nankin, Southern Namor said. "So we're eating Nevan food to show them just how Nevan we are."

"900+ Million Acting Like Nevanmaa"

"I'm certain that life in Namor is ten times better than life in Nevanmaa. But Griffin can't tell anything apart, right?"

These words were spoken by Lidiya Evgeniya, 19, a student at the University of Kusef. Evgeniya was among the many citizens in the Txotai region - where most Otekians live - who poured into the city's Freedom Square to hold their own mock pro-Nevanmaa rally in protest of Griffin's "Namor is Nevanmaa" comparison. Taking part in the rally were Kannei, Otekians and Geads - a show of unity the separatists didn't expect. Like in Liberation Square, the flags of Nevanmaa and Arnborg were both raised as the Nevanhymni was sung. Massive cheering ensued, with chants of "Ne-van-maa" and "We Love Nevanmaa."
A Nevan flag flies outside of athlete Regana Alyona's house
(Source: Twitter)

A group of people rushed into the square and set up a medium-sized portrait of Arthur Griffin, and a "game" was set up in which people took turns throwing eggs at it from a distance. Those who managed to hit Griffin's mouth - where the Namor-Nevanmaa comparison came from - earned a P350 prize. Other activities in Kusef included "Racist Karaoke Night," where there was singing of Namorese patriotic songs as well as Nevan songs. "Approved by Arthur Griffin and Valeriy Anisim [leader of the OGIE organization]," read the welcome sign that usually bore more hospitable messages.

Many Otekians are participating in Love Nevanmaa Week, citing the damage on their image caused by Griffin's misrepresentation of events. Regana Alyona said "our nation was being wrongly portrayed," and tweeted an image of a Nevan flag flying outside her home. There were countless other tweets from Otekians showing them preparing fried vendace with potatoes and engaging in other activities relevant to Love Nevanmaa Week.

"This is rare," Afansy Fedya, 39 from Kusef, said. "You didn't see Kannei and Otekians bonding together so tightly since Oleg's death," talking about the shooting and killing of Feliks Oleg which sparked ethnic tensions for a while. How could the words of one right-wing politician from another country glue the crack and reintroduce the much-needed unity to keep Txotai together?

"It's gone ridiculous," said Fedya. "First you have a letter of grievances that we didn't even write, then there's this one guy who thinks he knows everything and babbles about us being no better than Nevan blacks. We don't want to be a misrepresented people. We certainly don't want to be portrayed as people who are totally enthusiastic with Namo, but nor should we be portrayed as a truly maltreated people, like Nevan blacks. It's not true, and I feel that it's about time we - the ones who everyone's been talking about - spoke out and gave our opinions."

Deputy Head of State Irakliy Lazar of Txotai was seen waving a Nevan flag outside his office for thirty seconds before returning inside. Upon seeing him joining Love Nevanmaa Week, many outside of his office cheered and took pictures.

"The stupidity of this man [Arthur Griffin] is unbelievable," said Siang Rong, 57, from Lagania in eastern Txotai. "I'm astounded that he's a politician. You have 900-plus Namorese acting like Nevanmaa, and let's see how laughable he'll appear once he appears in the Scotian parliament on Monday." In addition to spouting anti-Namorese rhetoric, Griffin threatened to introduce legislation on Monday that will provide a solution to the so-called problem in Txotai. When asked how Namor will respond to this, Foreign Ministry Shen Wuhong said Namor will "resolutely oppose any action by radical foreign lawmakers to infringe upon our sovereignty."

There are reports that while Love Nevanmaa Week is still ongoing, the Nevans aren't getting the satire. Tuuli Savinen, manager of the Visit Nevanmaa campaign, said that his group will soon use the hashtag #LoveNevanmaa week to promote Namorese tourism in Nevanmaa.

Trending
How Griffin beat Namo at Turning OIM into a laughingstock | ONC leader Vitalik on Arthur Griffin: "I'm disappointed" | Valeriy Anisim tells Love Nevanmaa Week observer to "rot in hell" on Twitter | What does Fu's capitalism have in store for the new year? | Luziycan media praises death of Shudri person: Did PTH react the same way when Oleg died?
Last edited by Namor on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information