NATION

PASSWORD

What is the main military weapon of your country?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 am

Imitora wrote:Carbines and SBRs. Put a 12.5inch barrel on an AR Platform and you are golden.

That's what I've been trying to tell UAWC but the youngsters seem to prefer something flashier - something that makes loud noises or rips off a whole mag in five seconds.

-- Gen. Castro-Stalina, Fatatatutti Foreign Legion

Imitora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imitora » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:That's what I've been trying to tell UAWC but the youngsters seem to prefer something flashier - something that makes loud noises or rips off a whole mag in five seconds.

One can lead a student to knowledge, but you unfortunately cannot force them to learn
-- Col. Aaron Waikes, Imitoran Marine Corps

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:
Imitora wrote:Carbines and SBRs. Put a 12.5inch barrel on an AR Platform and you are golden.

That's what I've been trying to tell UAWC but the youngsters seem to prefer something flashier - something that makes loud noises or rips off a whole mag in five seconds.

If I remember correctly, ever one of our assault rifles fires at 600 RPM. That's not very fast. Our shotgun goes at 400 RPM, and our main SMG 550. Only a couple of our weapons are so horrifically fast as you describe; and only one is standard issue, and even then it's used mounted and belt-fed.
Last edited by Uawc on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

Roman Imperium
Attaché

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Roman Imperium » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Legionaries use the AR80 as their main assault rifle, while the Auxiliaries use the AK-74.

Legionaries use the FN Minimi as their standard Squad Support weapon, the Auxiliaries use the RPK.

Legionaries use the FN MAG as their standard General Purpose Machine Gun, the Auxiliaries use the PK.

Legionaries use the MILAN and the AT4 as their standard rocket launchers, the Auxiliaries use the RPG-7.
Overseas Territory in: San Immanuel

Barrettstia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Barrettstia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 pm

UAWC wrote:Our shotgun goes at 400 RPM,

Which, I think it's been stated, is infeasibly fast for an automatic shotgun.
Welfare; Freedom; Democracy!
Info: Factbook | Map | Salamander Arms & Munitions
Alliances: ODECON | Escapikickass
DEFCON: [1] 2 3 4 5
The Blaatschapen wrote:Fear the all knowing Barretstia for he is armed with information and knowledge *nods*
The Ularn wrote:
Zinaire wrote:I am a douchebag, but that doesn't make me any less right.
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

UAWC wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:

If I remember correctly, ever one of our assault rifles fires at 600 RPM.

Do the math: 600 RPM = 10 rounds per second. That's 3 seconds to burn off a 30-round mag. A trooper's whole ammo supply could be Gone in Thirty Seconds. And if the first few rounds don't hit the target, God only knows where the rest of them go.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Barrettstia wrote:
UAWC wrote:Our shotgun goes at 400 RPM,

Which, I think it's been stated, is infeasibly fast for an automatic shotgun.

It's only slightly faster than the AA-12, which I'm pretty sure is 350 RPM.

OOC: My nation is somewhere between MT and PMT.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:

If I remember correctly, ever one of our assault rifles fires at 600 RPM.

Do the math: 600 RPM = 10 rounds per second. That's 3 seconds to burn off a 30-round mag. A trooper's whole ammo supply could be Gone in Thirty Seconds. And if the first few rounds don't hit the target, God only knows where the rest of them go.

Don't most assault rifles shoot faster anyway...?

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:09 pm

UAWC wrote:Don't most assault rifles shoot faster anyway...?

A soldier who has to carry his own ammo learns to avoid automatic. He also learns that he wants the same ammo as the others in his squad in case he does run out. So he doesn't want an SMG, he wants a carbine.

And he certainly doesn't want a shotgun. He wants to shoot the poor schlepp with the shotgun before he gets a chance to shoot back.

We don't issue shotguns at all and only the commandos use SMGs once in a while for specific missions.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:

A soldier who has to carry his own ammo learns to avoid automatic. He also learns that he wants the same ammo as the others in his squad in case he does run out. So he doesn't want an SMG, he wants a carbine.

And he certainly doesn't want a shotgun. He wants to shoot the poor schlepp with the shotgun before he gets a chance to shoot back.

We don't issue shotguns at all and only the commandos use SMGs once in a while for specific missions.

Being a nation that participates heavily in urban combat, we find shotguns to be rather useful, but we would never consider equipping an entire unit with them, save for a fireteam possibly.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Ruthless Slaughter
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruthless Slaughter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:

Pretty sound reasoning, but the shotgun does have its niche in room clearing and close urban combat. Combat doctrines can certainly work without shotguns, but I personally wouldn't discount them entirely.
Junkyland wrote:
Ruthless Slaughter wrote:Well, all you post-2005 nations are new guys to me

I bet I would win in a war against you!
~two minutes later~
*looks out over war-torn city*
Damn'it.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes, we do recognize the potential of shotguns in an urban setting. If anybody invades our cities, we might make use of them. But our terrain is much like UAWC describes his, jungle/mountains. That's where we're hoping to stop any invaders and blowing the doors off the trees doesn't seem like much of a priority.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Fatatatutti wrote:Yes, we do recognize the potential of shotguns in an urban setting. If anybody invades our cities, we might make use of them. But our terrain is much like UAWC describes his, jungle/mountains. That's where we're hoping to stop any invaders and blowing the doors off the trees doesn't seem like much of a priority.

Shotguns have been useful in the hands of point men in jungle patrols- they offer a good first reaction to an ambush, or a quick but devastating dose of power in the event of launching an ambush.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

Barrettstia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Barrettstia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm

In Barrettstian infantry squads one man carries a shotgun or automatic shotgun for the situations where they're useful. At the same time one person carries a sniper rifle and another carries a squad automatic weapon and in certain circumstances an anti-tank weapon. Everybody else carries an assault rifle (which is shortly getting phased out in favour of a new battle rifle) and a pistol. No-one but the special forces use SMGs as part of their ordinary equipment.
Last edited by Barrettstia on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen wrote:Fear the all knowing Barretstia for he is armed with information and knowledge *nods*
The Ularn wrote:
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:37 pm

GWO troops usually carry two kits for their MI-8A2 rifles (usually, an AR kit and a BR kit), and two or three men, depending on the environment, will carry an FSIAAS/EG-AAS12.
Basque American

Wrestlemania XXVI
Attaché

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wrestlemania XXVI » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Wrestlemania XXVI wrote:I don't really know what other nations call them, but Wrestlmania XXVI calls them Pedigrees

We also use what we call Tombstones

Also we use monsters

And our most poweful weapon

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:Shotguns have been useful in the hands of point men in jungle patrols- they offer a good first reaction to an ambush, or a quick but devastating dose of power in the event of launching an ambush.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Bedford Island
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bedford Island » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm

I would like to add that having a man with a SAW behind the shotgun-wielding point man is a good idea. Suppression is critical in the early seconds of a spot contact.

~ Major George N. Frost, RBIA
Last edited by Bedford Island on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a white, male Christian, born and raised in the United States of America, and I hold membership in the Republican Party. I believe America is the greatest country on Earth.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:08 pm

The UAWC has developed its first weapon that falls into the category of "carbine".

The UAWC BDC-X1 pistol-caliber carbine uses box magazines of 30 .45 UCP rounds* as well as drums of 100. The carbine's primary mode of fire is semi-automatic, but by holding down the trigger the user can fire at full-auto. When fully-automatic, the BDC-X1 fires at 550 RPM. It comes fitted with a red dot sight, backup iron sights, muzzle brake and a flashlight, all of which are easily detachable and replaceable. The BDC-X1 also comes with a suppressor, making it essentially a scaled-up version of the scarily quiet silenced MP5. The BDC-X1 is quiet, powerful, accurate, easy to operate, comfortable, reliable and an excellent weapon for all kinds of situations.

The BDC-X1 carbine will fill a critical niche in the UAWC's military tactics.

*.45 UCP is the UAWC's version of .45 ACP. The two rounds are very similar, and are in fact interchangeable and can be used in the same guns. However, the .45 UCP round is optimized for inflicting hydrostatic shock.

OOC: Seriously, I'm really proud of this. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Last edited by Uawc on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:25 pm

UAWC wrote:The UAWC has developed its first weapon that falls into the category of "carbine".

The UAWC BDC-X1 pistol-caliber carbine uses box magazines of 30 .45 UCP rounds* as well as drums of 100. The carbine's primary mode of fire is semi-automatic, but by holding down the trigger the user can fire at full-auto. When fully-automatic, the BDC-X1 fires at 550 RPM. It comes fitted with a red dot sight, backup iron sights, muzzle brake and a flashlight, all of which are easily detachable and replaceable. The BDC-X1 also comes with a suppressor, making it essentially a scaled-up version of the scarily quiet silenced MP5. The BDC-X1 is quiet, powerful, accurate, easy to operate, comfortable, reliable and an excellent weapon for all kinds of situations.

*.45 UCP is the UAWC's version of .45 ACP. The two rounds are very similar, and are in fact interchangeable and can be used in the same guns. However, the .45 UCP round is optimized for inflicting hydrostatic shock.

Seems more like an over sized smg, a carbine is just a short rifle, so for your nation a carbine would probably fire a 7.62x39 round and be about 24-28 inches long, that is why bull pup rifles are useful, they allow you to still have a relatively long barrel even if they are barely over 2 feet long, a good example is the TAR-21.
Last edited by The Anglo-Saxon Empire on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:30 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
UAWC wrote:The UAWC has developed its first weapon that falls into the category of "carbine".

Seems more like an over sized smg, a carbine is just a short rifle, so for your nation a carbine would probably fire a 7.62x39 round and be about 24-28 inches long, that is why bull pup rifles are useful, they allow you to still have a relatively long barrel even if they are barely over 2 feet long, a good example is the TAR-21.

We do have a bullpup AR, it's just that the BDC-X1 has strengths that the bullpup doesn't. Also, plenty of people don't feel comfortable with bullpups for various reasons.

And indeed, some do consider this to be an over-sized submachine gun, and it can be used as one. Thing is, it's got less recoil and is more accurate. Additionally, there are quite a few carbines already that fire pistol calibers, from 9mm Parabellum to .44 Mag.
Last edited by Uawc on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:57 pm

UAWC wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:

We do have a bullpup AR, it's just that the BDC-X1 has strengths that the bullpup doesn't. Also, plenty of people don't feel comfortable with bullpups for various reasons.

And indeed, some do consider this to be an over-sized submachine gun, and it can be used as one. Thing is, it's got less recoil and is more accurate. Additionally, there are quite a few carbines already that fire pistol calibers, from 9mm Parabellum to .44 Mag.

Truthfully, I still view the pistol calibre carbines to be useless, if you want a gun with minimum recoil, and a small round go for an smg, if you want to have the stopping power of a rifle in the size of a large smg go for a rifle calibre carbine, a pistol calibre carbine offers no real advantages over a rifle carbine except for recoil. Anyway, that is my opinion if you really want a pistol carbine than go for it, just don't expect to kill someone wearing modern body armour very quickly.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Barrettstia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Barrettstia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm

OOC: Seriously, I'm really proud of this. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

The ergonomics suck. with the stock in that position I would have to hold my hand higher than my shoulder to aim this weapon while at the same time craning my neck to look through the sights. Move the stock higher and the rest of the gun will be lowered to a comfortable level.

Also, I'm confused as to why you've chosen a pistol calibre carbine. Nowadays they seem to have little military application when you have the option of an SMG or a rifle carbine. You already have more than enough guns that fire pistol rounds, so why not fill that much needed niched and get a compact rifle which isn't a bullpup, AKA, the original purpose carbines were intended as? Better yet, make it a shorter version of your current assault or battle rifle so that the parts can be interchanged for easy training and maintenance.

[EDIT]: Also that grip doesn't look like it has enough space for your hand. I'm building what I think you should use based on your current design just now and I'll post what I create.
Last edited by Barrettstia on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ularn wrote:

Imitora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imitora » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Barrettstia wrote:The ergonomics suck. with the stock in that position I would have to hold my hand higher than my shoulder to aim this weapon while at the same time craning my neck to look through the sights. Move the stock higher and the rest of the gun will be lowered to a comfortable level.

Also, I'm confused as to why you've chosen a pistol calibre carbine. Nowadays they seem to have little military application when you have the option of an SMG or a rifle carbine. You already have more than enough guns that fire pistol rounds, so why not fill that much needed niched and get a compact rifle which isn't a bullpup, AKA, the original purpose carbines were intended as?

^This.

Make it a rifle round, not a pistol round. The rear sight wont line up with the front sight when flipped up. It doesn't actually look like a carbine, more like a full sized rifle following Commifornia gun laws. The front mounted light looks to far from the hand gaurd to be easily turned on and off.

Oh, and Federal figured out the problem you have with the .45ACP back in the 80s.

Federal HydraShock.

Barrettstia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Barrettstia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Okay, here's my reworking of your design:
Changes
  • Upgraded to a rifle round
  • New adjustable stock in a position which won't give your soldiers neck, shoulder and elbow injuries
  • Pistol grip large enough to fit a whole hand on
  • Longer picatinny rail on the top

However, because of your original design what we have here is closer to a rifle because of its size. to make it a carbine you'd probably have to chop the barrel of at the end of the handguard or thereabouts. I'd also suggest adding some sort of rail system to the sides and possibly bottom of your handguard to give yourself some more options.

Also using that receiver is going to make the rifle incredibly flimsy. You could probably bend it in half at the point where the magazine is fed in.
Last edited by Barrettstia on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Ularn wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information