NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.IV

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next Ground Vehicle thread?

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
19%
Transnapastain
12%
Lubyak
8%
Risen Britannia
31%
The Alaska Colony
12%
Orussia
9%
The Kievan People
9%

Total votes : 265

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Graditora wrote:I like that. Speed has always been a factor I've liked in battle. But so is range.

What would be the maximum HP I could put in while keeping the minimum operational range past 300 miles?

What I cited was a rough guess. Since the the original AMX 13 had a range of 250 miles, I suppose with modern electronic control fuel consumption, maybe 250 hp?
Also, turbines have nearly the same specific fuel consumption as diesels at relatively high speeds, but really, at practical speeds and typical duty cycles, you'd rather have a diesel or a petrol engine.
Last edited by Rich and Corporations on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:To achieve the same level of responsiveness with a centrally-controlled system becomes more difficult as units are added. In a corps-level action, a corps command could practicably plan operations for its brigades, which will number at most perhaps a few dozen, and more likely between 10-20 units. An army-level staff will find this difficult however as it now commands closer to 50-60 brigades, and an army group several times this. Thus, in a larger formation the heavier command burden must either fall on the lower-ranking officers left to their own devices, or on a single command staff at the top issuing orders for everyone. This is why these higher-level commands are administrative at best

OK.

Firstly, the problem is that the Battle of France introduced a number of new, novel things that the French were completely unprepared for. They also had very poor strategic depth and were simply just not prepared for what the Germans were going to do. Guderian frankly outran himself and if the French had been in any position to counter-attack things may have been different. A French mechanised counterattack at the right time may have destroyed Guderian's spearhead and caused immense damage to the German formations across its front. Instead the French had nothing to counterattack with. This is a failure of strategic planning, their reserve was badly placd, and of organisation, because the French had a very poor doctrine - and not of centralisation.

(Though you have a point wrt intelligent young officers becoming intelligent staff officers.)

I am of course not saying that there should be no initiative, at any level. But a command structure exists for a reason. IMO it seems to me that a modern war between two roughly equal sides would not develop into stalemate. It would instead be over very quickly, because frankly the destructive offensive power has vastly oustripped defensive power, and because munitions would be expended at such a tremendous rate and there would be huge blocks in resupply, no matter how well organised your rear-area services are. On top of this, communication systems have rapidly expanded and are likely to keep expanding due to Moore's law. Given a large and competent enough staff the information presented to one field officer can reach any other officer with very little lag.

On the other hand there is an information "overload" and there's only so much one person can comprehend. So of course there must be delegation. But the question becomes one of who needs to know what, and I guess that is a form of initiative, but I suspect not the initiative we are talking about.

With regards responsiveness, the main issue is that when one wants to make a change to the plan, it's not simply a matter of them deciding that they must turn their regiment down one road to another bridge. That is what the field officer is thinking about. Unfortunately it means all the assets behind him must know about his move and understand his intentions. As an example, the route of supply to his regiment might have to change – in doing so, it may overlap another route of supply to another formation and cause a bottleneck.

So yes, it's true that the more centralised your system, the less directly responsive it will be, and the heavier burden placed on general officers. On the other hand, this burden is being placed on the people who best understand the operational situation. This is more important, I think, than giving a very high amount of tactical freedom to commanders who understand the tactical situation.

In my view, a modern, mechanised, symmetrical ceteris paribus war will be won by the side which:
1. Can keep fighting for the longest, i.e. has the best organised rear-area services, and tightly and intelligently controlled distribution of air and artillery assets.
2. Can best exploit the operational situation, rather than the tactical situation.
3. Discipline – the vast destruction of modern warfare will no doubt be shocking to everyone.

I guess I will close by paraphrasing Guderian - smash with a closed (centralised) fist, don't tickle with a spread (decentralised) hand.
Last edited by Questers on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 am

Rich and Corporations wrote:

Is that... two high velocity guns?

yes

i did that

/sarcasm
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Come on guys, you are making me look silly by posting the Mk 5 rather early :p .

(hint post more)
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Hamittia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hamittia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:13 pm

amidoinitrite
I know my people. They like grandeur.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm

On that note, I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this discussion on doctrine.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Ea90
Senator

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:On that note, I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this discussion on doctrine.

As am I.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Hamittia wrote:(Image)
(Image)
amidoinitrite

Very nice.
What time period?
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Hamittia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hamittia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Very nice.
What time period?

60s - mid 70s

also need suggestions for some sort of amphibious light tank thing for use in very unfriendly azn populated jungles
like a pt76 except not communist
I know my people. They like grandeur.

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 pm

I spent all of today at tankfest, so expect some 'new' designs
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:I spent all of today at tankfest, so expect some 'new' designs

Tankfest? u wot mert

I may have to kill you with jealous rage.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:On that note, I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this discussion on doctrine.

It'll be later today at best unless someone else wants to join. They are of course welcome to. Won't be home with enough time to really sit down and write something until this evening. A second day of mall-ninja'ing airsoft calls.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Risen Britannia wrote:I spent all of today at tankfest, so expect some 'new' designs

Tankfest? u wot mert

give me a few mins and i will get some better photos.

I also added to my ammo collection with the addition of a M1 Carbine mag and 5 .30 Carbine rounds to go with it and a 35mm Oerlikon shell (feking huge)

(also also: "mert" ?)
Lineart:
New showroom

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm

It's one of so far two words that I thought I'd come up with, but the internet disagrees.

Stylised form of "mate" that seems about right for the northern drudgery of where I love.
Sent Archery club into hysterics.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Dayton Air Show dwi
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Nsg debating merits of human vs auto-loader on mbt
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Immoren wrote:Nsg debating merits of human vs auto-loader on mbt

Link?

I could use a good laugh.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 pm

New Tsavon wrote:

Link?

here
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 pm

New Tsavon wrote:

Link?

here

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Immoren wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:Link?

here

It's actually painful to read.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:12 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Immoren wrote:
here

Yeah, it is.

Have an excerpt.

Iraq's T-34 tanks used in the Iraq war used auto loaders which were very slow. Compared to the America's M1 Abrams crew served only took 4 seconds to load and fire a heat missile
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:18 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:Dayton Air Show dwi

Has no tiger tanks thus your arguement is invalid
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:21 pm

New Tsavon wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Yeah, it is.

Have an excerpt.

Iraq's T-34 tanks used in the Iraq war used auto loaders which were very slow. Compared to the America's M1 Abrams crew served only took 4 seconds to load and fire a heat missile

..."often carries HEAT... APFSDS..."
"You forgot the sabot round."
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Tankfest? u wot mert

give me a few mins and i will get some better photos.

I also added to my ammo collection with the addition of a M1 Carbine mag and 5 .30 Carbine rounds to go with it and a 35mm Oerlikon shell (feking huge)

(also also: "mert" ?)

I seriously considered the 35mm round when i was at bovington years agao but wnet with the 30x170mm roudn instead thinkign i migth get another chance when I visted Yeovilton a couple of days later. Saddly the Yoevilton gift shop was a lot less militaria focused.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Scimitar IFV - The Empire's preferred infantry fighting vehicle which also serves as an APC.

Imperial Industries Model 964 MBT - The standard Main Battle Tank of the Reijmakt.

Narzul Munitions 457 MBT - Presently being phased out of service. Many are kept in reserve.
Last edited by Valkalan on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information