NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.IV

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next Ground Vehicle thread?

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
19%
Transnapastain
12%
Lubyak
8%
Risen Britannia
31%
The Alaska Colony
12%
Orussia
9%
The Kievan People
9%

Total votes : 265

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Indeos wrote:
No. No it isn't. Ten percent of 120 is 12. Seriously, how in the fuck do you get that wrong? (It's 16.67% or so, assuming my exhaustion-addled brain can still do simple math.)

Because i'm horrible at anything other than simple percents... And now i see my problem...Fuck. Anyway.

You divide by ten. Or, for extra-easy percents, divide by one-hundred then multiply by whatever percent you need to find. (What's 16 percent of forty-seven? Easy! .47x16=7.52!)

Anyway, I'm assuming things like pressure on a tank barrel won't increase in a linear manner.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Well it's really late now so I can't think quite strait. So here is a simple question. Could I use muzzle energy or velocity as an approximation for pressure when calculating the difference in barrel thickness. As in, make the formula T1 / T2 = MV1 / MV2 as opposed to T1 / T2 = P1 / P2?

My mind tells me it should work. But I am not sure it's awake any more.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Indeos wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Because i'm horrible at anything other than simple percents... And now i see my problem...Fuck. Anyway.

You divide by ten. Or, for extra-easy percents, divide by one-hundred then multiply by whatever percent you need to find. (What's 16 percent of forty-seven? Easy! .47x16=7.52!)

Anyway, I'm assuming things like pressure on a tank barrel won't increase in a linear manner.

No no no i know what i did wrong. Misplaced the 120 for 200...And year your probably right.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Purpelia wrote:Well it's really late now so I can't think quite strait. So here is a simple question. Could I use muzzle energy or velocity as an approximation for pressure when calculating the difference in barrel thickness. As in, make the formula T1 / T2 = MV1 / MV2 as opposed to T1 / T2 = P1 / P2?

My mind tells me it should work. But I am not sure it's awake any more.

http://imageshack.us/f/140/leclerc14021.jpg/
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Indeos wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Probably. But you never know...120 to 140 is 10% right...?

No. No it isn't. Ten percent of 120 is 12. Seriously, how in the fuck do you get that wrong? (It's 16.67% or so, assuming my exhaustion-addled brain can still do simple math.)

:rofl: Actually did laugh out loud. Just. Fuck.

You know what you must do now

Old_Japanese_man_kneeling_down_and_handing_over_a_katana.jpg
Would have posted a picture of that if I could find it, but I couldn't. I am implying that you must commit suicide.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:54 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Indeos wrote:

:rofl: Actually did laugh out loud. Just. Fuck.

You know what you must do now

Old_Japanese_man_kneeling_down_and_handing_over_a_katana.jpg
Would have posted a picture of that if I could find it, but I couldn't. I am implying that you must commit suicide.

And to think i nearly missed you...The fuck was i thinking. Anyway i see the mistake in my thinking. Mixed numbers round.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Ea90
Senator

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 am

I'm not sure if this helps, but here's some more stuff on the Leclerc-140.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 am

Ea90 wrote:I'm not sure if this helps, but here's some more stuff on the Leclerc-140.

Thats a very big gun, and a Very scary looking round.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Of shankrovah
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Of shankrovah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:42 am

we just made our new battle from sungkro and seson the mqatre 4567 and su123wer is a bomb proof heavy light and can damaged a building like the Eiffel tower and the twin tower

Ea90
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:56 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Ea90 wrote:I'm not sure if this helps, but here's some more stuff on the Leclerc-140.

Thats a very big gun, and a Very scary looking round.

From RRoan's scale image she made to show how ridiculously large her 140mm KEP was, I get a case length of 1 meter and an OAL of 1.5 meters!
IIRC, German and Swiss 140mm ammo (for the Leopard 2-140 and Pz. 87-140 respectively) is even larger than the French; Swiss 140mm APFSDS could apparently penetrate 1 meter of RHA with a penetrator made of "conventional material, not depleted uranium", whatever that means...

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 am

Two questions.
#1 For the front armor plate in front of the driver. So not the super sloped glacis but the actual front plate. For its thickness. How does 600mm sound (not RHA equivalent but actual thickness of the wall).

# How deep would a 140mm gun penetrate into the turret anyway? I can't even find any NS designs that list both the hull length and total length of the tank. (A NS reference will do since I can plausibly say that someone else said it was so)

Also, a third question. I am making a list of how many tank generations I need to make to cover the post WW2 period and I just want you to check if I missed any.
#1 1950's tanks (Example T-55)
#2 1970's tanks (Examples T-72, M-60, Leo 1)
#3 1980's-90's Tanks (Examples M-1, T-80, Leo 2)
#4 NS tanks
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Ea90
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:09 am

@Purpelia:
1: Seems quite thick (not necessarily overly so), but that depends on how large the whole tank is.

2: You are asking how much space in the turret a 140mm gun takes up, correct? On Sumer's MCA-7E, which uses a 140mm L/50 ETC gun, it extends 4.05m beyond the length of the hull and on Lamoni's M-21A1, which is armed with either a 140mm L/50 ETC or a 120mm ETC gun, it extends 2.5m. I thought they would be suitable examples, as both Lamoni and Sumer are very knowledgable about tanks. I tried looking for lengths for RL 140mm-armed tanks, but the only thing I found was that the Swedish T140/40 prototype for the Strv. 2000 had a hull length of 6.8 meters (I also found some more info on the T140/40 and other Strv. 2000 prototypes if anyone's interested).

3: The generations sound about right to me.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for all the data. Say, could you link me to those tanks you mentioned? I have been looking for them but have trouble finding them. And good reference material is always good to have.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 am

I can give you the frontal plate on an M60 A3 if that helps. Its 11 inches of slanted solid steel (It is the single most solid feeling thing i have ever stood on)
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:20 am

It will be a great asset for the Vikingr 3 project. Since right now I am looking at designing a whole range of tanks by that name.

Vikingr - WW2 Panzer IV / Panther equivalent.
Vikingr 50 - 1950's-60's 1st generation MBT to fight T-55's and the like.
Vikingr III - 1970's MBT to take on M60's and the like and win.
Vikingr IV - Current MBT with a 140mm ETC canon and all sorts of fancy toys.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 am

Ill dig up on the M60 class tanks.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Arkania 5
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkania 5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 am

Wait, ETC is MT?
MT <Compatible with FanT if needed>: The Shattered Enclave [INACTIVE]
FT: Aperture Industries
"The Shattered Enclave is technically a failed nation, but through all odds, they have survived as a million-headed hydra, all ready to simultaneously attack each other as their enemies. Wildly different factions, each with cultures that simply could not have developed within a hundred years, kept in a temporum of chaos...one wonders if more unexplained powers were involved in the creation of this monstrosity..."
WE ARE THE COLOR RED IN A WORLD FULL OF BLACK AND WHITE.....
tl;dr: Not a country or a nation. More like an entire world divided into a trillion pieces. Near impossible to invade. FanT/FT origins, MT/PMT technology.
Allanea wrote:evil shithole of a country

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am

Arkania 5 wrote:Wait, ETC is MT?

Yes.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:28 am

Dunno honestly. I intend to solve that problem by my "MT" tank sort of a Strv 2000 thing. (for those that don't know, cry) It only gets the ETC update later in its service life. Along with several other stuff. So you might call that version the Vikingr IVM

BTW. The full name of the tank will be the Windir Vikingr IVM
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ea90
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Purpelia wrote:Thanks for all the data. Say, could you link me to those tanks you mentioned? I have been looking for them but have trouble finding them. And good reference material is always good to have.

MCA-7
M-21
I hope that helps.

That depends on your definition of MT; IIRC, ETC is supposed to be ready for combat 2017 or something like that. If you RP your nation as one that is very technologically advanced on NS, I think that having ETC guns in the early 2000s is plausible (although possibly slightly pushing it).

The Reliquary
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reliquary » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Licana wrote:

Yes.

I thought practical ETC (as in advantages outweigh just fitting a slightly bigger gun) wasn't possible in 2012. Or is this that wanky 'MT' that now +10 years?

Something about power generation and increased use of space in the turret.
They train young people to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write the word f*** on their airplanes ... because ... it's obscene

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Am i aloud to ask what ETC is?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm

ETC

As I said thou. The baseline WV IV has a normal 140mm. And the PMT 20 years into the future WV IVM will have a ETC 140. But since the barrel dimensions are the same nothing much changes visually.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Purpelia wrote:ETC

Is there an updated log for that? That one's half a decade old.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Purpelia wrote:ETC

Is there an updated log for that? That one's half a decade old.

Nope. Since no one in the real world has touched ETC since before than. Something about not needing it due to there not being a next generation 80 ton Soviet tank to kill.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information