NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.IV

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next Ground Vehicle thread?

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
19%
Transnapastain
12%
Lubyak
8%
Risen Britannia
31%
The Alaska Colony
12%
Orussia
9%
The Kievan People
9%

Total votes : 265

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 am

But MBT's can already mount a 140 or 152mm gun and have as much armor as it is feasible to have.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

Strykla wrote:
Lubyak wrote:As I understand it, heavy tanks fell out of favor in the modern world as the guns you could mount on a 'medium' tank, were capable of penetrating most all forms of armor that could be reasonably mounted on a vehicle, thus making the 'heavy tank' useless on the field, as its attributes (bigger gun than a medium tank, and heavier armor) had become irrelevant.

I imagine a superheavy tank would face the same issues. It would also have the issue of being a giant 'SHOOT ME! SHOOT ME!' for artillery and aircraft, and the resources spent building it would likely be better spent making more main battle tanks.

Well, in modern terms, 120mm guns can't penetrate the frontal arc of heavy armor-module Chobham. An M1A2 can't shoot through another M1A2 from the front. So armor a superheavy tank in Chobham. And yes, they do present a massive target. That's one problem I have a hard time getting around.

As was stated, we can simply give the MBT a 140 mm gun, which can penetrate an Abrams fruntal armor. Only reason we don't have MBTs rolling around with 140 mm cannons is because the Cold War ended, and the threat of the Future Soviet Tank dissapeared.

So, it's not like we need a larger platform in order to mount guns capable of penetrating the frontal armor of MT tanks. If we had to start penetrating the frontal armor of the heavily armored Western tanks, we could mount a larger gun. However, since having to do so is extremely unlikely, there's no incentive to do so. So, once again, we come to the question of what point a superheavy tank would serve other than: a) Rule of cool, or b) Giving something to waste resources on.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 am

Lubyak wrote:
Strykla wrote:Well, in modern terms, 120mm guns can't penetrate the frontal arc of heavy armor-module Chobham. An M1A2 can't shoot through another M1A2 from the front. So armor a superheavy tank in Chobham. And yes, they do present a massive target. That's one problem I have a hard time getting around.

As was stated, we can simply give the MBT a 140 mm gun, which can penetrate an Abrams fruntal armor. Only reason we don't have MBTs rolling around with 140 mm cannons is because the Cold War ended, and the threat of the Future Soviet Tank dissapeared.

So, it's not like we need a larger platform in order to mount guns capable of penetrating the frontal armor of MT tanks. If we had to start penetrating the frontal armor of the heavily armored Western tanks, we could mount a larger gun. However, since having to do so is extremely unlikely, there's no incentive to do so. So, once again, we come to the question of what point a superheavy tank would serve other than: a) Rule of cool, or b) Giving something to waste resources on.

Meh, it isn't like we don't waste resources on a lot of crap in the military anyway. The F-22 and F-35 are largely useless when our biggest enemy is Akbar and his RPG-7. On the bright side the Koreans might end up mounting an ETC gun in the K2 PIP. Probably won't, but they might.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

Trentica wrote:the tundra v5:
(Image)
Take a look at where the turret is situated. It won't be able to traverse.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Lubyak wrote:

Meh, it isn't like we don't waste resources on a lot of crap in the military anyway. The F-22 and F-35 are largely useless when our biggest enemy is Akbar and his RPG-7. On the bright side the Koreans might end up mounting an ETC gun in the K2 PIP. Probably won't, but they might.

I thought you left NS.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Bafuria wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Meh, it isn't like we don't waste resources on a lot of crap in the military anyway. The F-22 and F-35 are largely useless when our biggest enemy is Akbar and his RPG-7. On the bright side the Koreans might end up mounting an ETC gun in the K2 PIP. Probably won't, but they might.

I thought you left NS.

Reports of my disappearance have been greatly exaggerated.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Lubyak wrote:

God damn he is alive
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Bafuria wrote:
I thought you left NS.

Reports of my disappearance have been greatly exaggerated.

o:
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

New Tarajan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Tarajan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:15 pm

The Kingdom of New Tarajan now has definitively chosen the Mark VI Reaction as its new backbone MBT:

Producted in collaboration with the Arch Duchy of Purpelia (who takes all the credit).
Last edited by New Tarajan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Federal Aristocratic Kingdom of New Tarajan
Proud Founder and Secretary General of the SECURS
Minister for Foreign Alliances of the Anti-Terror Pact; Report Officer of the Committee of Genocide Reports and Notifications; Member of the International Red Cross & Peace Corps of NationStates; Member of the United Regions; Member of the Organization for Economic Advancement
Count Carl August Van Hoenkel
Baroness Augustine Van Geldern

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I need to fix up some tank stats right now so I have a question. Does anyone have any good blueprints of a 140mm ETC or normal gun? Preferably with various stats like the thickness of the barrel (outer thickness) and stuff. Or if anyone has just the various stats that would work too. As I need them for my project.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Ninth Republic
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ninth Republic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:01 pm

New Tarajan wrote:The Kingdom of New Tarajan now has definitively chosen the Mark VI Reaction as its new backbone MBT:

(Image)

Producted in collaboration with the Arch Duchy of Purpelia (who takes all the credit).

Simply amazing.

One minor quibble - how is the silly little gun on the back operated?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:03 pm

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/ ... arison.jpg
Not great for actually scaling, but does give a sense of scale.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't really need scaling. I need data for a 3d model.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Purpelia wrote:I need to fix up some tank stats right now so I have a question. Does anyone have any good blueprints of a 140mm ETC or normal gun? Preferably with various stats like the thickness of the barrel (outer thickness) and stuff. Or if anyone has just the various stats that would work too. As I need them for my project.

I'm making a guess, a real blind, uneducated guess right here, without even looking at source material, but I'm thinking that a 140mm gun might be around 20 millimeters bigger than a 120mm gun. Please, don't take my word for it - Dostanuot would probably be able to give you far better answers. Hope this helps tho.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Strykla wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I need to fix up some tank stats right now so I have a question. Does anyone have any good blueprints of a 140mm ETC or normal gun? Preferably with various stats like the thickness of the barrel (outer thickness) and stuff. Or if anyone has just the various stats that would work too. As I need them for my project.

I'm making a guess, a real blind, uneducated guess right here, without even looking at source material, but I'm thinking that a 140mm gun might be around 20 millimeters bigger than a 120mm gun. Please, don't take my word for it - Dostanuot would probably be able to give you far better answers. Hope this helps tho.

And yet that tells me absolutely nothing about the outer thickness. As the outer thickness is a function of barrel diameter + the thickness of the barrel wall. And the later is my unknown value. Unless you firmly believe that the wall thickness can remain the same when the pressure rises by a factor of at the very least 1.4. Or that the wall is made out of monomolecular fiber.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Strykla wrote:I'm making a guess, a real blind, uneducated guess right here, without even looking at source material, but I'm thinking that a 140mm gun might be around 20 millimeters bigger than a 120mm gun. Please, don't take my word for it - Dostanuot would probably be able to give you far better answers. Hope this helps tho.

And yet that tells me absolutely nothing about the outer thickness. As the outer thickness is a function of barrel diameter + the thickness of the barrel wall. And the later is my unknown value.

I was being sarcastic. Para's link is probably the best you will get without consulting experts like Dostanuot.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Just find those diagrams of the Leclerc with the 140mm gun.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Strykla wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And yet that tells me absolutely nothing about the outer thickness. As the outer thickness is a function of barrel diameter + the thickness of the barrel wall. And the later is my unknown value.

I was being sarcastic. Para's link is probably the best you will get without consulting experts like Dostanuot.

And I was being extremely annoyed by your sarcasm.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Strykla wrote:I'm making a guess, a real blind, uneducated guess right here, without even looking at source material, but I'm thinking that a 140mm gun might be around 20 millimeters bigger than a 120mm gun. Please, don't take my word for it - Dostanuot would probably be able to give you far better answers. Hope this helps tho.

And yet that tells me absolutely nothing about the outer thickness. As the outer thickness is a function of barrel diameter + the thickness of the barrel wall. And the later is my unknown value. Unless you firmly believe that the wall thickness can remain the same when the pressure rises by a factor of at the very least 1.4. Or that the wall is made out of monomolecular fiber.

Make it 10% thicker then if your making the round 10% bigger would be my guess/
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And yet that tells me absolutely nothing about the outer thickness. As the outer thickness is a function of barrel diameter + the thickness of the barrel wall. And the later is my unknown value. Unless you firmly believe that the wall thickness can remain the same when the pressure rises by a factor of at the very least 1.4. Or that the wall is made out of monomolecular fiber.

That's probably not how the physics work.
Last edited by Indeos on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Indeos wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

Probably. But you never know...120 to 140 is 10% right...?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Not quite. But the logic is more or less sound. What I need to do is compare the pressure inside the barrel of the two weapons and scale up based on that. And very roughly speaking pressure grows with the volume of the propellant charge, the diameter and length of the barrel and a variety of other factors.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Purpelia wrote:Not quite. But the logic is more or less sound. What I need to do is compare the pressure inside the barrel of the two weapons and scale up based on that.

That i cant help you with, But i will bet its more than 10%.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Indeos wrote:

No. No it isn't. Ten percent of 120 is 12. Seriously, how in the fuck do you get that wrong? (It's 16.67% or so, assuming my exhaustion-addled brain can still do simple math.)
Last edited by Indeos on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Indeos wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

No. No it isn't. Ten percent of 120 is 12. Seriously, how in the fuck do you get that wrong? (It's 16.67% or so, assuming my exhaustion-addled brain can still do simple math.)

Because i'm horrible at anything other than simple percents... And now i see my problem...Fuck. Anyway.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information