NATION

PASSWORD

What is the main military weapon of your country?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Albrante
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrante » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:45 pm

This is because the bullet of 9mm size produces a superior entry would to larger caliber weapons and is unlikely to pass through the target so much as bound around inside and chew up internal organs.

In order to make a superior entry wound a 9mm has to enter the target. With modern body armor in todays urban warfare and the no doubt increasing effectiveness of said armor. Even today pistol/smg rounds and somtimes even the 5.56 have trouble punching through this armor.
The Ambrosian Kingdom of the Crown and People of Albrante
------------Fortuna-Supra-Prospectum-Sita-Est-------------

Mable harbour
Attaché

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mable harbour » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Ostronopolis wrote:
Crookfur wrote:
Lord Tothe wrote:Just a small question here - why so many nations using the M4? It has a barrel too short to get even marginally decent velocities from the anemic cartridge it fires. While I wouldn't want to have someone shooting one at me, I'd rather have a more serious cartridge in my soldiers' guns. at least a 6.5mm if not a 7.62 rifle. A 200+ yard advantage in reach and greater stopping power are worth the expense and training required for using a real rifle cartridge.

because they are what teh US forces use and everythign the US uses it automatically the best ;) Plus they are tacticool, you can mod them easily and hang loads of great (pointless) stuff off them.

As for the lack of effectiveness, the US govenremnt says that 5.56mm does the job perfectly fine and that the M4 is the best rifle they can buy and as we all know the US govenrment always tells the truth and hasn't ever been directly involved in sabotaging arms trails to the benefit of certain US manufacturers.

Of course the entire history of US small arms procurement is a shining example to the rest of the world. (of what not to do)

And of course keep in mind this is the highly biased OPINION of Crookfur.

What, exactly, are you trying to say? That the short barrel of the M4 hasn't been proven to have a detriemntal effect on the fragmentation behavior of the SS109/M855 thus reducing leathality at even short ranges? That the general incomptance of the US small arms procurement since the 1900s hasn't been accademically recognised and documented and that the M4 has consistantly come off worse in all the recent trails it has been involved in?

Is the M4 a good rifle? Undoubtably. Is it the best solution available? Absolutly not. Do i fap over the HK416? Nope and i personally beleive that HK's offensive agaisnt the M4 has done more harm than good by causing Colt and the US govenrment to dig in thier heels.

Ok I admit it, all my stuff is a channeling of the tanknet group think via my own twisted mind ;)

Both the HK416, 418 and the M-4 tested inferior to XM-8. Even the new SCAR fell short when compared to the XM8 in terms of reliability. Also, the lethality of ss109 comes from it's tendency to bounce around inside the target and has nothing to do with its "fragmentation behavior." The M4 is also one of the oldest rifles out there and has been in use in one for or another for years. It is unrealistic that the DAD would adopt a new rifle and in turn construct a new system of education and qualification for that rifle AS WELL AS train all existing troops in its operation unless said rifle was grossly superior to the M4 which no rifle is save the xm8 which was canceled because of durability issues. The above "facts" provide no actual information, only opinion disguised as information. If anything it substantiates Ostonopolis' claim.

Mable harbour
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mable harbour » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Albrante wrote:
This is because the bullet of 9mm size produces a superior entry would to larger caliber weapons and is unlikely to pass through the target so much as bound around inside and chew up internal organs.

In order to make a superior entry wound a 9mm has to enter the target. With modern body armor in todays urban warfare and the no doubt increasing effectiveness of said armor. Even today pistol/smg rounds and somtimes even the 5.56 have trouble punching through this armor.

Keep in mind your target won't be far enough away from you (should you be firing a nine-mil) to make shooting him in the face an unrealistic option.

Mable harbour
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mable harbour » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:54 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Epicnopolis wrote:Our standard side-arm is the Desert Eagle

You do know that the Desert Eagle is relatively inaccurate, overly heavy, and unreliable, right?

Maple harbour wrote:The Hydrogen bomb is considered by many to be the most powerful of our weapons...

You don't have any, you're not big enough.

We can't produce any. To say we havn't bought any would be false.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:
Takaram wrote:
You also know that it is chambered in a round that makes the M16 pale and can punch holes through 1/4 inch thick sheets of steel?

True, but wouldn't you want some kind of accuracy. The bullet isn't that big.

A .44 Magnum, which the Desert Eagle is chambered in, is a 240 grain bullet. By comparison, an average .30-06 round is 180 grains, a nine millimeter is about 120 grains, and a .223, which is an M16 round, is a pitiful 55 grains. "The bullet isn't that big". When it is bigger than a bullet you can kill an elk with, it's pretty damn big.

When compared to other bullets, then yes, a Desert Eagle fires a massive round. But to try and compensate for the massive recoil and relative inaccuracy of the Desert Eagle with a large bullet would be ridiculous. Not the emphasis on the word "that".

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Mable harbour wrote:

You do know that the Desert Eagle is relatively inaccurate, overly heavy, and unreliable, right?

Maple harbour wrote:The Hydrogen bomb is considered by many to be the most powerful of our weapons...

Of course, if you can't produce any; good luck maintaining any.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Mable harbour
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mable harbour » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Techno-Soviet wrote:
Mable harbour wrote:

The technology was given, thus the technology is there. It's the resources that are lacking that make production impossible. Maintenance is the easy part. :-D

Albrante
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrante » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I hesitate to show my lack of knowledge but what does Nuke maintainence entail?
I would of though it means making sure its not leaking. If so wouldn't a Geiger counter suffice?
The Ambrosian Kingdom of the Crown and People of Albrante
------------Fortuna-Supra-Prospectum-Sita-Est-------------

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Takaram wrote:
Takaram wrote:
You also know that it is chambered in a round that makes the M16 pale and can punch holes through 1/4 inch thick sheets of steel?

A .44 Magnum, which the Desert Eagle is chambered in, is a 240 grain bullet. By comparison, an average .30-06 round is 180 grains, a nine millimeter is about 120 grains, and a .223, which is an M16 round, is a pitiful 55 grains. "The bullet isn't that big". When it is bigger than a bullet you can kill an elk with, it's pretty damn big.

When compared to other bullets, then yes, a Desert Eagle fires a massive round. But to try and compensate for the massive recoil and relative inaccuracy of the Desert Eagle with a large bullet would be ridiculous. Not the emphasis on the word "that".

The recoil of the D-Eagle isn't that bad; I've actually shot one. The weight of the gun really keeps it down. And when do you need extreme accuracy when someone is in your face?
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Mable harbour
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Mable harbour » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Less maintenance than you think. Though significantly more than lesser nuclear weapons

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Mable harbour wrote:
Techno-Soviet wrote:
Mable harbour wrote:

The technology was given, thus the technology is there. It's the resources that are lacking that make production impossible. Maintenance is the easy part. :-D

And from whom have you bought these weapons, and a link to the thread in which it took place?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked through your post history. You haven't purchased any nuclear weapons.

Even still, with a "Reasonable" economy and a calculated defense budget of roughly two billion, I highly doubt you'd be able to place the purchase, or even maintain the weapons.

So, you don't have any nukes. You haven't been given any, you haven't purchased any, and you wouldn't be able to afford maintaining them, as well as a military and government capable of this economic warfare you speak of, even if they were given to you for free (Which hasn't happened.)
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Mable harbour wrote:
Techno-Soviet wrote:
Mable harbour wrote:

And from whom have you bought these weapons, and a link to the thread in which it took place?

Even still, with a "Reasonable" economy and a calculated defense budget of roughly two billion, I highly doubt you'd be able to place the purchase, or even maintain the weapons.

I feel bad. 1% of my GDP is more than his entire nation's.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Slaytesics
Minister

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaytesics » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 pm

XM8's
My favorite quotes.

Ballotonia wrote:Total BS.
Wanna meet girls? Go play Farmville.
Ballotonia

Timurid Empire wrote:I do not understand people like this. How can you fear any human being or interaction with them? We are all Human, and we all bleed the same. Unless their a Hemophiliac.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:(Image)

Ranbo wrote:Heey! I'm not perv!

You name it, you claim it. You were the one that thought of it in the first place. :p

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:51 pm

L3 Communications wrote:

It's ok, it might comfort you to know that my most successful company, the Emorden-Geist Weapons Manufacturing Corporation, has a net worth about 2.5 times larger than your own nation's GDP.

lolol asshole GWO strikes again!
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 pm

L3 Communications wrote:

It's ok, it might comfort you to know that my most successful company, the Emorden-Geist Weapons Manufacturing Corporation, has a net worth about 2.5 times larger than your own nation's GDP.

lolol asshole GWO strikes again!

lul but thats expected =P

Since there's about ten thousand redundant threads of everything, I really don't know (nor care) if I've posted the "main military weapon" of my nation in this thread:

that thing, made by VT. Summed up in three words:

It. Kicks. Ass.
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Takaram wrote:

You can theoretically kill an elk with a .22 Magnum... it all depends on your aim. .45ACP rounds often are 250 grain, too. Then again, you're seeming to forget that the Desert Eagle is widely recognized as firing the .50 Action Express, which is a 300 grain round, not a 240. Then again, grainage actually varies, as different bullets are released for different purposes- for example, the SLAP version of the .50BMG is something like 60 grains heavier than .50BMG Ball rounds.

The Desert Eagle isn't a good choice for issuing to the military for more reasons than accuracy. It's heavy as all fuckout for a handgun (Not to mention HUGE), and it's unreliable like hell.
Basque American

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:32 am

IC: Soldiers are permitted to carry a personal sidearm of their preference. 1911A1 colts in .45ACP and Glocks in 9mm and .45ACP are the most popular, but there are large numbers who like the .357 and .44 magnum revolvers.

OOC: I have spoken with several owners of Desert Eagles. They say the gun is horribly unreliable when shooting revolver cartridges. The .50 version is OK, but they prefer a .45 or 9mm standard-size pistol for self-defense or concealed carry. I'd rather have a 1911 or a good .357 revolver for my personal use.
Last edited by Lord Tothe on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 am

Mable harbour :

Have you actually read back what you are typing?

On side arms: even in urban conflicts sidearms would be left behind in weight critical situation because the main arm is significantly more effective across the entire range of expected engagement scenarios where as the side arm merely duplicates a little bit of the main arms capabilities.

At what point did I actually mention the XM-8? I merely stated that the M4 has been found to perform worse than pretty much everything it has been tested against.

You are obviously confusing SS109 with the early .223 loadings. The initial 5.56mm loads were very unstable in flight and tended to tumble drastically on impact leading to the initial claims of massive wounding capability and the bouncing about you have referred to. Of course the unstable flight profile whilst not a major issue in warm places like South East Asia was a big problem in colder climates such as northern Europe where the big fight would take place. Thus the rifling got modified and things tightened up into the M193 loading. Then along came SS109 with its highly stable steel cored round which if it hits while going fast enough will tumble and fragment but if not will remain pretty stable and reliably pass straight through causing a relatively small amount of tissue disruption, enough to kill eventually but not nearly as quickly as if the same round had been fired from a longer barrelled weapon and thus fragmented.

You do seem to be reading a lot more bias into what was initially supposed to be a fairly light hearted posting than is actually there so let me make my personal point of view on what the "best solution available" would be:

A rifle that uses a short stroke gas operation to fire an intermediate rifle cartridge, in short the same "ideal" solution that has been rearing its head consistently since the 40s.

I'm not against the US government using the M4 or any other M16/AR-15 based weapon and I freely admit that there are good reasons to keep it, one of which you have illustrated. What I am against is the ignorant assumption of US equipment=best or even Soviet equipment=best or people using illogical/incorrect assumptions and conclusions to support their IC choices.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:48 am

Lord Tothe wrote:IC: Soldiers are permitted to carry a personal sidearm of their preference. 1911A1 colts in .45ACP and Glocks in 9mm and .45ACP are the most popular, but there are large numbers who like the .357 and .44 magnum revolvers.

OOC: I have spoken with several owners of Desert Eagles. They say the gun is horribly unreliable when shooting revolver cartridges. The .50 version is OK, but they prefer a .45 or 9mm standard-size pistol for self-defense or concealed carry. I'd rather have a 1911 or a good .357 revolver for my personal use.

I'm with you there, and I think that Grand World Order has a point to make too. I don't think that the Desert Eagle is the best combat handgun on the planet, but it certainly does have its merits; for those reliability issues and brick-like weight, you get a pistol that hits like a freight train. But I'll take the Colt M1911 myself. Very accurate, incredibly reliable, and still packing all the firepower you need within 50 yards (and beyond that range, I don't think I'd be using a pistol anyway).
Last edited by Idaho Conservatives on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Buxtahatche
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buxtahatche » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am

The Buxtahatche Confederation's primary weapons are...

INFANTRY
RIFLE - M14 with synthetic stock, 120 rounds ammo (basic load)
PISTOL - M1911 with synthetic grips, 40 rounds ammo (basic load)

COMBAT ARMS (other)
RIFLE - M14 with synthetic stock, 80 rounds ammo (basic load)
CARBINE - M1911 with 16" bbl Carbine Conversion Kit, 160 rounds ammo (basic load)
PISTOL - M1911 with synthetic grips, 40 rounds ammo (basic load)

OoC:
The Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum is as worthless as a rusted-out Nambu 8mm. It stovepipes with alarming regularity when hot (even when well maintained), has an incredible recoil for a semi-auto handgun, and weighs enough it is inconvenient (to say the least) in one-handed use. It's value in a combat environment when follow-up shot speed is CRUCIAL is dubious at best and indescribably deficient at worst. The .50 AE version of the weapon is, while somewhat more reliable in my experience, still a dubious weapon for anything other than bluffing (+2 circumstance bonus on bluff checks on people with low firearms skill).

Give me a good 1911 in .45 ACP or .38 ACP any day of the week over those monsters. They are simply lighter, hardier, more reliable and easier to manage.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 am

Unlike most militaries, Sumer has developed a system whereas the weapon fits the mission needs, and the troops are trained to that, rather then a catch-all system employed elsewhere. To this effect, in infantry, issue weapons vary slightly.

As a main element, all troops are issued with a side arm, the ESh-7 service pistol. This practice rose through trench warfare and the raiding tactics developed mid-way through the Great Europa War.

As there are two main types of combatant soldiers (And cross-training is the norm), there are two issued "standard" weapons. A Typical Sumerian Armoured Infantry fireteam consists of two "Spearmen", and one "Bowman". This triad set up is intended for use in rapid clearing of trenches and other close quarters environments, such as urban settings. The "Bowman" is issued with the LaTi-6 Battle Rifle for long-range precision and automatic fire. The LaTi-6 is, in effect, a combined DMR and LMG, and doubles as both the squad automatic weapon and its ranged engagement option.

The "Spearman" is equipped for close assault and is thusly equipped with the LaSh-36 (Or LaSh-6) combat shotgun. A 44cm sword bayonet is standard issue as well. Both the LaTi-6 and LaSh-6/36 weapons mount the 44cm bayonet.

Additionally, "Spearman" troops also carry the MKb-42 carbine, based on the ESh-7 pistol but with a longer barrel, full automatic capability, and a three-point quick-drop sling. The MKb-42 is used by "Spearman" troops when more range then the LaSh-6 is needed, and shares commonality with the ESh-7 pistol to allow its use.

It should be noted that Armoured Infantry rarely work very far from their IFV, and as such weight is not so much a problem. Other specialist infantry units, depending on their needs, organize differently, with Airborne troops almost exclusively using the MKb-42 and ESh-7 as primary arms, for example.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:20 pm

The main weapon of our military is our soldiers, sailors and airmen. Anything else is just the tools they use to accomplish the mission they are tasked with.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Crabulonia
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:53 pm

(FT)

Our good ol' fashioned Follas-2 laser revolver (with shark cannon attached), takes a very strong arm to control it without shattering bones.

Our slightly newer Follas-2 SMG/Assault Rifle (shark cannon attachments can be added), takes a less strong arm to handle as the power in it has been lowered but speed increased.

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Crabulonia wrote:*snip*

PHYSICSTIP: Lasers don't have recoil. >_>

One of the things I've learned from playing Rifts.
Last edited by L3 Communications on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA

Sorgan
Senator

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorgan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Tricky question. Generally we don't encourage war (as we have a 0.5% of the population in the armed forces.) we usually take what is given and don't complain which includes a G3 Rifle, a P339 Sidearm, and for generals, A ceremonial sword of the sorts.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information