NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Puzikas wrote:Inb4 fanbois unironically attempt to defend this

Should
Have
Bought
M16 production rights

That thing is disgusting, nearly threw up looking at that. Thanks Fuzzy Puz(sarcasm).

Hate Bull Pup, don't give a fuck about the advantages.

Do I look like I care about what a bunch of incompetents does in the Banker State of rUK?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:
That thing is disgusting, nearly threw up looking at that. Thanks Fuzzy Puz(sarcasm).

Hate Bull Pup, don't give a fuck about the advantages.

Do I look like I care about what a bunch of incompetents does in the Banker State of rUK?

I wasn't talking to you... and i'm not from the UK.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 pm

6.5 Grendel?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 pm

NeuPolska wrote:6.5 Grendel?

Only exists to cram a 6.5mm round into 5.56mm AR-15 uppers. No reason to use it otherwise.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Austrasien wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:6.5 Grendel?

Only exists to cram a 6.5mm round into 5.56mm AR-15 uppers. No reason to use it otherwise.

What about as a lighter alternative to 7.62x54? Seems to have close to the same power but without being as heavy.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Austrasien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:35 pm

It is not close at all. Muzzle energy is about 40% lower.

If you want an off-the-shelf military 6.5mm the 6.5x55mm Swedish is the best choice probably. Unlike the Grendel, it actually is a credible full power cartridge and it still has the same excellent ballistics available to 6.5mm bullets.

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Worth using in a semi-automatic modern rifle, in terms of recoil and carry weight?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Austrasien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:17 am

If you are using 7.62x51mm rifles it would be a sensible option.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:31 am

Husseinarti wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
>being pro monarchies

PIRA is the most American thing to set foot in Europe since Eisenhower.

i mean monarchies are gay but the monarchy in question is slightly more competent than the pira

i mean we're talking about a country that worships a dude with no teeth so theyre basically the same thing

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 am

Austrasien wrote:If you are using 7.62x51mm rifles it would be a sensible option.

And now the dreaded question: 5.56 vs 6.5

From what I gather, 6.5 is more accurate, has better or at least as good penetration as 7.62x51, and also weighs less, while requiring longer barrels. My military doesn't fight desert conflicts against poorly-armored Jihadis; if I go to war I'm more than likely going to have a bunch of dudes with ceramic plates up against me. It seems sensible then to go for a cartridge with less recoil than 7.62x51, but better accuracy and range than 5.56 and more importantly better penetration.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am

Austrasien wrote:It is not close at all. Muzzle energy is about 40% lower.

If you want an off-the-shelf military 6.5mm the 6.5x55mm Swedish is the best choice probably. Unlike the Grendel, it actually is a credible full power cartridge and it still has the same excellent ballistics available to 6.5mm bullets.

Cough, this disagrees with you, cough.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:41 am

NeuPolska wrote:What about as a lighter alternative to 7.62x54? Seems to have close to the same power but without being as heavy.

6.5 Grendel is better seen as an intermediate cartridge than an actual full powered cartridge replacement. For something to replace current in-service full powered cartridges, you might want to upgun existing GPMGs or DMRs into something bigger. The US Army is experimenting with the General Dynamics LMMG and the Remington MSR chambered in .338 Norma Magnum.

Despite the benefits, 5.56x45mm and 5.45x39mm are still good cartridges. But the infantryman's cartridge is not a war-winner. Real war winners are fire-support and logistics.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:35 am

Rhodesialund wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:What about as a lighter alternative to 7.62x54? Seems to have close to the same power but without being as heavy.

6.5 Grendel is better seen as an intermediate cartridge than an actual full powered cartridge replacement. For something to replace current in-service full powered cartridges, you might want to upgun existing GPMGs or DMRs into something bigger. The US Army is experimenting with the General Dynamics LMMG and the Remington MSR chambered in .338 Norma Magnum.

Despite the benefits, 5.56x45mm and 5.45x39mm are still good cartridges. But the infantryman's cartridge is not a war-winner. Real war winners are fire-support and logistics.

Interesting idea, though I'm looking primarily to change my standard service rifle cartridge into something more powerful.

I think I'll keep 5.56x39 for certain environments that my troops might deployed in where the extra range and power offered by 6.5 or 7.62 for that matter isn't necessary, while 6.5 ammunition will become my go-to standard ammunition. The main question for me now seems to be whether I want to go full-power and take the 6.5 Swedish, or the 6.5 Grendel. Can either of them effectively take on ceramic plate (meaning they can penetrate on the 2nd or 3rd hit)?

And I understand that logistics are more important and howitzers and tanks are more important than a cartridge, I just like to work out the specifics and get my troops something that'll help them win against other infantry in a straight fight.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am

Just go with 5.5x42mm Purpelian. It's basically the 5.54mm bullet fired from a supercharged case that gives it more velocity and a flatter trajectory. Than again, I don't trust it enough to not still use 7.5x55 Swiss for precision purposes so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am

NeuPolska wrote:Interesting idea, though I'm looking primarily to change my standard service rifle cartridge into something more powerful.

I think I'll keep 5.56x39 for certain environments that my troops might deployed in where the extra range and power offered by 6.5 or 7.62 for that matter isn't necessary, while 6.5 ammunition will become my go-to standard ammunition. The main question for me now seems to be whether I want to go full-power and take the 6.5 Swedish, or the 6.5 Grendel. Can either of them effectively take on ceramic plate (meaning they can penetrate on the 2nd or 3rd hit)?

And I understand that logistics are more important and howitzers and tanks are more important than a cartridge, I just like to work out the specifics and get my troops something that'll help them win against other infantry in a straight fight.

The problem is that you have an intermediate cartridge that overlaps some of the performance offered by full powered cartridges (6.5 Grendel and 7.62x51mm). It's not an optimal system to have once cartridge that can do some of what the other can do. You want cartridges that have a clear distinction between the two.

An example is the 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm. 5.56 is a great intermediate cartridge that offers low weight, high capacity, and high velocity for 100-400m ranges. 7.62x51 offers better transitional, external and terminal ballistics over 400+m ranges. They both don't overlap each other because of clear distinctions in their respective roles and performance.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am

NeuPolska wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:

Interesting idea, though I'm looking primarily to change my standard service rifle cartridge into something more powerful.

Give them good mortar crews and recoilless rifles.

Then they will win at a "straight fight".

As opposed to a transgender fight? Cishomo? I'm not sure what the opposite of a straight fight is. Gay fight?

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm

The GPC vs intermediate + full size debate boils down to:

-pretty much any GPC you choose => less ammo than with an intermediate cartridge, for the same weight.
-benefits for the regular infantryman (which will be the main and most numerous user of the GPC, and thus arguably the most important or the one requiring the most consideration) that are brought by the GPC do not make up for the loss in ammunition capacity, at least not at the range your regular infantryman fights enemies at typically.
-the argument that you're helping logistics by having your squads only use 1 type of ammunition is rather weak considering that firearm cartridges are not an especially difficult item to transport or manufacture, and it makes even less sense to make the change assuming you already have tooling and etc. in place to manufacture weapons chambered in your intermediate cartridge and full size cartridge and ammo for them, and already have stocks of said weapons and ammunition.

What I personally do with my nation is that I actually use a GPC for the squad (specifically, 7x46mm), with assault rifles, DMRs and GPMGs chambered in this cartridge, and use .338 NM for my MMGs and sniper rifle. However, my IC history doesn't feature the intermediate + full power duo, instead I just wank it off as "I've always used only 1 main cartridge and it got downsized over the years to its current 7x46mm form" .
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:

As Rhodesialund said, I don't this is such a great idea either.

If 6.5 Grendel is "too much", use your pistol/PDW cartridge in a SMG/PDW/carbine/whatever, or if you must have a specially special cartridge for close range encounters maybe use the 9x39mm idk. It's designed to be used in suppressed weapons.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I think the most important question would be how resistant body armor actually is against 5.56, 6.5, 7.62x54, etc, because that's what prompted me to look into 6.5 over the 5.56 to begin with. Regardless of artillery or heavy weapons, if enemy soldiers equipped with level iv armor attack mine, I want a cartridge that has the best balance between penetration power and recoil, in order to put enough AP rounds against said enemy soldiers to kill as quickly as possible without requiring a headshot.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:42 pm

NeuPolska wrote:I think the most important question would be how resistant body armor actually is against 5.56, 6.5, 7.62x54, etc, because that's what prompted me to look into 6.5 over the 5.56 to begin with. Regardless of artillery or heavy weapons, if enemy soldiers equipped with level iv armor attack mine, I want a cartridge that has the best balance between penetration power and recoil, in order to put enough AP rounds against said enemy soldiers to kill as quickly as possible without requiring a headshot.

WC cored AP ammo from 5.56x45mm on up will penetrate IV armour at reasonable ranges.

level IV isn't what you really have to worry about its any heavy plate newer than ESAPI which will stop WC cored AP ammo from the full power .30cal rounds (7.62x51mm and 7.62x54mmR).

Of course the plates don't offer full cover so unless you want to issue WC cored ammo(something like 5-10times more expensive per round that basic steel/lead cored ammo off the top of my head) to everyone then everything again comes down to volume of fire to increase the chances of hits outside the protected zone.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Actually personal armor is starting to become resistant to 5.56 maybe
Which is part of why the US is preforming a study to determine the usefulness of finding and preforming a switch to a new caliber/back to 7.62x51mm.

E: oh yah I think that plate is expired, or theres, you know, special ammunition being used there.
Because a IV plate is definitely proofed against 6.5x39 of all loadings. While not standard practice to test that it still has been tested and proofed.
Last edited by Puzikas on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Puzikas wrote:Actually personal armor is starting to become resistant to 5.56 maybe
Which is part of why the US is preforming a study to determine the usefulness of finding and preforming a switch to a new caliber/back to 7.62x51mm.

E: oh yah I think that plate is expired, or theres, you know, special ammunition being used there.
Because a IV plate is definitely proofed against 6.5x39 of all loadings. While not standard practice to test that it still has been tested and proofed.

It's actually a homebrew 125 gr Tungsten Core bullet. The plate is not expired. Bill Alexander is a man of selfishness and not licensing out his shit for the ease of distribution to the consumer, but a flat out liar is not one of them.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Give them good mortar crews and recoilless rifles.

Then they will win at a "straight fight".

As opposed to a transgender fight? Cishomo? I'm not sure what the opposite of a straight fight is. Gay fight?

If it were to be a gay fight, it requires Tac-Sac foregrips and underslung dildo launchers. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information