NATION

PASSWORD

Worldbuilding Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:11 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Parhe wrote:So I decided to just have it so some people don't have children. I imagine if out of all adults roughly 30-50% choose not to have children at all for whatever reason (bar adoption) and everyone other couple chooses to have on average 8 kids the population will continue to grow naturally. Well, at least I halved population growth.

Why would you want to halve population growth?

Population growth is nothing but beneficial.

He's clearly thinking of the environment.

Less people means less carbon emissions!

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

NS Non-Military Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

Postby Parhe » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Parhe wrote:Eh, it depends I guess. I just am annoyed at the yearly average 4% growth that is happening my area (a developed, wealthy area of the United States) because of the traffic problems and the construction over what was farms, plains, and forests.

Well that wouldn't actually happen.

But if it did it would be a good thing.

I'm not certain particularly what part you are referencing. I am going to assume you don't mean the traffic. But the part over construction over what was farms, plains, and forests is happening so I don't understand the post.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Parhe wrote:Eh, it depends I guess. I just am annoyed at the yearly average 4% growth that is happening my area (a developed, wealthy area of the United States) because of the traffic problems and the construction over what was farms, plains, and forests.

Just a 4% growth will do that to a significant degree? Weird. Well I guess it has to do with it being a developed and wealthy area with people not having to move out for economic reasons.

edit: by 4% growth do you mean "native" growth or also people moving in?

People moving in though the fertility rate in my state is above replacement, depending on if you count between 2 and 2.1 as replacement, (I don't think the US has fertility rate broken down to per county level). That scenario is more favorable in my opinion as it can help against a demographics crisis like in Japan or South Korea while also meaning the government doesn't have to pay for things like education.

I just choose this path instead as I prefer the idea of large families and the parents with 8 children model is based off my parents' and their parents' families. I've already cut down next immigration to near zero to deal which it, though it wasn't exactly a compromise having a sizable emigration rate [I mean South Korea is a very well off country that has about a net zero migration rate]; I think a relatively large diaspora equal to roughly ten percent of the home nation's population is favorable like that of Korea.

Gallia also has a point, I want the growth to be sustainable and I do enjoy green space even if it isn't one interacted with.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm

I never really understood the point behind multi-zone A/C in cars because these zones don't really exist. Most cars don't have any partitioning between the driver and front passenger, or rear passengers for that matter. The only way to create different feeling habitats is by continually blowing air and thus continually wasting energy to account for the fact that the airflows merge the second they come in contact with one another. If anything, the hotter air will rise to the top but that doesn't help at all.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Parhe wrote:But the part over construction over what was farms, plains, and forests is happening so I don't understand the post.

...so?
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

NS Non-Military Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

Postby Parhe » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:40 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Parhe wrote:But the part over construction over what was farms, plains, and forests is happening so I don't understand the post.

...so?

Green space reduces the urban heat island effect and plants absorb carbon dioxide. I appreciate both in Texas, particularly over new suburban tracks.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:49 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I never really understood the point behind multi-zone A/C in cars because these zones don't really exist. Most cars don't have any partitioning between the driver and front passenger, or rear passengers for that matter. The only way to create different feeling habitats is by continually blowing air and thus continually wasting energy to account for the fact that the airflows merge the second they come in contact with one another. If anything, the hotter air will rise to the top but that doesn't help at all.

You aren't really wasting energy, the AC is run off the engine which itself is going to be running to propel the vehicle anyway. Depending on how the AC's rigged you may not even be drawing engine power; a bunch of the potato trucks were I work have auxiliary ac units run of the engines alternator

Same goes for heating obv, given that its tapped off the engines cooling system
Last edited by Padnak on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Padnak wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I never really understood the point behind multi-zone A/C in cars because these zones don't really exist. Most cars don't have any partitioning between the driver and front passenger, or rear passengers for that matter. The only way to create different feeling habitats is by continually blowing air and thus continually wasting energy to account for the fact that the airflows merge the second they come in contact with one another. If anything, the hotter air will rise to the top but that doesn't help at all.

You aren't really wasting energy, the AC is run off the engine which itself is going to be running to propel the vehicle anyway. Depending on how the AC's rigged you may not even be drawing engine power; a bunch of the potato trucks were I work have auxiliary ac units run of the engines alternator

Most modern consumer vehicles if I recall correctly use engine power and incidentally see an increase in fuel consumption when A/C is used.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Parhe wrote:Green space reduces the urban heat island effect and plants absorb carbon dioxide. I appreciate both in Texas, particularly over new suburban tracks.

The Kievan People wrote:...so?

You haven't explained why these things matter to you so much.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:22 pm

What would you choose between an inkjet and laser printer for in-car police use? Remember it has to fit inside the passenger side of the dashboard.

The main advantage of inkjet that I see is color printing, although that isn't strictly necessary but a nice thing to have. Color lasers are large and I probably couldn't find one small enough.

From what I've seen speed and costs are pretty similar.

On the other hand, laser printers print smudge-free and water-resistant by default to a certain degree and don't require any fancy (and probably stupidly expensive esp. if original) water-resistant inks/papers.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:38 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:What would you choose between an inkjet and laser printer for in-car police use? Remember it has to fit inside the passenger side of the dashboard.

The main advantage of inkjet that I see is color printing, although that isn't strictly necessary but a nice thing to have. Color lasers are large and I probably couldn't find one small enough.

On the other hand, laser printers print smudge-free and water-resistant by default to a certain degree and don't require any fancy (and probably stupidly expensive esp. if original) water-resistant inks/papers.

I assume this would be for printing tickets/citations/notices?

Why not just use a hand held/mountable thermal printer?
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Use thermal paper.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Crookfur wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:What would you choose between an inkjet and laser printer for in-car police use? Remember it has to fit inside the passenger side of the dashboard.

I assume this would be for printing tickets/citations/notices?

Why not just use a hand held/mountable thermal printer?

because reasons

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:00 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:because reasons

Even printers are :ns: in ns.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:08 pm

The Kievan People wrote:

what if i want my citations to be fabulous mkay?

on a more serious note, the automaker focuses on commercial customers and the dash-mounted printer is supposed to be a "productivity improvement" highlight

or something
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Thermal paper is preferred for most high-speed, high-volume applications. Everything from point-of-sale machines to boarding passes. They're compact, quiet, need little power, and don't have a drying time, which is why they are preferred for mobile applications as well. So why isn't that your first choice?

That aside, things like tickets are usually pre-printed on carbon paper so that multiple copies can automatically be filed once filled out.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:22 pm

The air vents on the left side of the car blow air at 22 degrees

The air vents on the right side of the car blow air at 24 degrees

The air vents in the back of the car blow air at 26 degrees.

Yes, it is that simple and yes, it works effectively.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:22 pm

The Kievan People wrote:

Everything on ns is :ns:
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:33 pm

You need the AC to blow air continuously anyway, to deal with the fact that it is constantly battling against the outside temperature, body heat, and any other heat sources in the car to keep it cool. This is why car AC systems stay on all the time unless they are turned off, unlike, say, residential units that usually run on a cycle. The only difference with multi-zone AC is that the air coming out of the vents is slightly cooler in some areas than others if some people prefer it that way.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:31 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Padnak wrote:

Most modern consumer vehicles if I recall correctly use engine power and incidentally see an increase in fuel consumption when A/C is used.

Yes, it's perhaps only a 5 to 10% increase in consumption (widely depending upon the size of the passenger compartment in relation to the normal engine output, and naturally the differential between the desired temperature and the air intake temperature), but AC use definitely makes a difference.

As for multizonal AC, it's not really any thing to worry about wrt efficiency unless you have the front seats set at 90 degrees and the back seats at 60 or something and as such you are simulateously heating one area and conditioning the other. That would be like sticking a humidifier and a dehumifier in a room and watching them battle it out for supremacy. If you have one area of the car set to a different temp than another, but both are being air conditioned (desired below intake temp) or both are being heated (desired above intake temp) than it is merely a matter of the climate system sending more cold/hot air that it producing to one area over another. It ends up serving the same purpose as the numerous vent valve switches in an older car that allow you to direct more or less airflow to a given outlet, but it does it in a much more convenient fashion.
Last edited by Patridam on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Parhe wrote:So I decided to just have it so some people don't have children. I imagine if out of all adults roughly 30-50% choose not to have children at all for whatever reason (bar adoption) and everyone other couple chooses to have on average 8 kids the population will continue to grow naturally. Well, at least I halved population growth.

Well if your country is a first world one then it would be theoretically feasible to have it have no population growth (or, you know, very low growth or even very slight decline) given that many people remain single / choose not to have kids / only have one or two kids. Lookin' at you, Japan.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:30 am

Doing a bit of research thermal print actually seems to be about the least rugged type available, being easily damaged by sunlight, liquids and even coming in contact with certain plastics. People even report receipts simply fading away with time (and not a lot of it) .

The isle of Trenzalore
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby The isle of Trenzalore » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:17 am

I think I am going to start a construction equipment storefront. what sorts of products should I offer? mining equipment? general construction? road building equipment? cranes? tools?

anyone have ideas?

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Doing a bit of research thermal print actually seems to be about the least rugged type available, being easily damaged by sunlight, liquids and even coming in contact with certain plastics. People even report receipts simply fading away with time (and not a lot of it) .

Which is mostly irrelevant.

The same can be said of fast inkjets. They're vulnerable to water and must deal with constant ink replacement, otherwise they start misprinting (or, in the case of mine, refuse to print anything, even black and white, when they run out of a single color). They are also prone to ink spills, printer head misalignment, and take much longer than a thermal printer to output a given quantity of print. Freshly printed pages must be allowed to dry otherwise they will smudge. Their printer heads must be kept clean and a supply of expensive ink cartridges kept on hand.

Laser printers are big, bulky, and hot. They also have high upfront costs, especially if color capability is desired. Paper by definition does not do particularly well in water, especially lightweight laser paper. And woe betide anyone who damages a waste toner cartridge and gets it everywhere.

The advantage of a thermal printer is that it can be sufficiently compact that you can literally hold it in your hand and take it with you. It also does not require any expensive ink or toner, which is a very important factor in lifecycle cost, given that a printer can be expected to cost its owner several times its purchasing cost in ink/toner over the course of just a few years. It is simple to train employees on since all they need to do is replace the paper to keep it working, no need to fiddle with ink cartridges and printheads whose replacement procedures vary between models. No concerns about rupturing or spilling the ink/toner (I've seen some pretty bad toner spills). It's simple, it's fast, it's cheap. All of which are very important for field use; it's one less thing an officer has to worry about.

That it fades with time is the only unique disadvantage and it isn't particularly relevant. It only needs to last long enough to be taken back to the station so you can put it into the database and write it up, presumably on full-size laser print forms for long-term filing (if you haven't already gone fully digital). As before, your actual tickets should be pre-printed already on carbon paper to easily allow filing of triplicate forms, so they shouldn't be affected. If Customs and Border Patrol consider thermal printing acceptable for Global Entry kiosks, why is it not acceptable for police?
New Terran Republic (FT)

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Doing a bit of research thermal print actually seems to be about the least rugged type available, being easily damaged by sunlight, liquids and even coming in contact with certain plastics. People even report receipts simply fading away with time (and not a lot of it) .

Which is mostly irrelevant.

The same can be said of fast inkjets. They're vulnerable to water and must deal with constant ink replacement, otherwise they start misprinting (or, in the case of mine, refuse to print anything, even black and white, when they run out of a single color). They are also prone to ink spills, printer head misalignment, and take much longer than a thermal printer to output a given quantity of print. Freshly printed pages must be allowed to dry otherwise they will smudge. Their printer heads must be kept clean and a supply of expensive ink cartridges kept on hand.

Laser printers are big, bulky, and hot. They also have high upfront costs, especially if color capability is desired. Paper by definition does not do particularly well in water, especially lightweight laser paper. And woe betide anyone who damages a waste toner cartridge and gets it everywhere.

The advantage of a thermal printer is that it can be sufficiently compact that you can literally hold it in your hand and take it with you. It also does not require any expensive ink or toner, which is a very important factor in lifecycle cost, given that a printer can be expected to cost its owner several times its purchasing cost in ink/toner over the course of just a few years. It is simple to train employees on since all they need to do is replace the paper to keep it working, no need to fiddle with ink cartridges and printheads whose replacement procedures vary between models. No concerns about rupturing or spilling the ink/toner (I've seen some pretty bad toner spills). It's simple, it's fast, it's cheap. All of which are very important for field use; it's one less thing an officer has to worry about.

That it fades with time is the only unique disadvantage and it isn't particularly relevant. It only needs to last long enough to be taken back to the station so you can put it into the database and write it up, presumably on full-size laser print forms for long-term filing (if you haven't already gone fully digital). As before, your actual tickets should be pre-printed already on carbon paper to easily allow filing of triplicate forms, so they shouldn't be affected. If Customs and Border Patrol consider thermal printing acceptable for Global Entry kiosks, why is it not acceptable for police?

I don't plan on making this printer a feature exclusive to police use , but commercial users in general. You usually want to have stuff like invoices and what not last for a number of years at least. Inkjet fading is largely a photo issue and inkjet prints are a lot less "volatile".

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 am

Does only one printer exist in your country or something?
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information