NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: Laser weapons in MT and PMT: A brief FAQ

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby EternalNight » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 pm

About the best you could hope to match would be the M61 Vulcan/Phalanx system. That's basically the intent of Raytheon's Centurion LADS system. Only real advantage over Phalanx is lack of ammunition.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!

Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh, pff, we've already got the technology in real life to do better than the 500 meters or so that a CIWS covers. There's nothing stopping ship-borne laser anti missile systems (albeit ones hooked up to either nuclear reactors, or dedicated generators/electric drives, like the Zumwalt destroyer) (Edit: Or, alternatively, if you want to go with those old-fashioned chemical lasers, you'll need storage tanks for a bunch of very hazardous chemicals) from having thirty or forty kilometers of reach. They'll be (comparatively) bulky systems, they'll be limited to line of sight (meaning that there will be problems intercepting sea-skimming targets and ships in the center of formations won't be able to engage if there are friendly ships in the way), but it's doable. And having the ability to swat targets at a much longer range than a CIWS with a 100% hit probability means a lot when we're talking about the quantity of missiles that traditionally get tossed around in NS.

Keeping in mind, of course, that lasers are only a supplemental anti-missile system, and not intended to replace the protection provided by a full screen including traditional SAMs, Rolling Airframe Missiles and CIWS guns.
Last edited by Salzland on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 pm

I have an anti-air vehicle ripped right off of CNC generals zero hour (the avenger) :)
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Toopoxia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Toopoxia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Salzland wrote:Keeping in mind, of course, that lasers are only a supplemental anti-missile system, and not intended to replace the protection provided by a full screen including traditional SAMs, Rolling Airframe Missiles and CIWS guns.

A part of me feels you need to end that sentence: "always contact your physician before use" :P

How would I work this into an RP? I mean, what would the process look like? Feel like? Sound like?
"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public."
Adam Smith

Factbooks
Nation Factbook, Military Factbook
Military
Current Military Actions: None
Military Readiness: Peacetime
Diplomacy
Member of: the Corporate Alliance
Observer of: Imperial Fascist Alliance
Other Links
NS World Census2010, NS World Census 2011
RP Examples
What the One Hand Knows (FanT), Traitor to Honour (MT)

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

EDIT: Well, okay, it WAS partial techwanking because I only used lasers for the second layer of missile defense instead of using both lasers AND short-range missile CIWS.

By the way, I understand that the rolling airframe missile spins for stability, but does this have any benefit on the range of the missile as opposed to a non-spinning SAM?
Last edited by Concordeia on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:
Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:
Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

Throwing up a cloud of quartz sand may have some effect on a laser beam at or near the visible spectrum owing to the prismatic qualities of quartz sand.
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 am

It also has the same problems for defending rapidly moving objects as smoke does, except moreso since sand is heavier.

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 am

Concordeia wrote:Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block missile spam! And I'm freakin early PMT! :mad: :(

I gotta say it. First time I read through this, I could have sworn it said something like this:

Dammit, and I got accused of tech-wanking for using megawatt-scale free electron laser CIWS on my (nuclear powered) vessels to block spam missiles!

I was like, "Who the hell are you fighting... or more importantly, was your lunch meat laced?"
Last edited by Falkasia on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Concordeia
Senator

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concordeia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Falkasia wrote:

:rofl:

Oh my god, I am SO sigging this!
Funny Quotes:
Falkasia wrote:

Grossrheinland Reich wrote:
CTALNH wrote:3 words: S&M and BSDM

Let it be known that God hates you.
OOC: so fkn hawt

Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868

The Divine Moon
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Divine Moon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Mossat wrote:Just a question, and I'm not sure if I will get shot down for this...

Would it be possible to construct an anti-missile/anti-air laser weapon similar to the Excalibur laser from Ace Combat Zero?

Sorta, I use a seriously downgraded version of Excalibur in which it's strictly for ABM duties. The actual concept is perfectly doable, but an Ace Combat grade laser isn't.

Kazturkania
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazturkania » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:22 pm

'bout the space lasers - The SDI had plans for a space based laser that was powered by nuclear weapons going off around it. It was a one shot deal, but it would have been perfectly capable of firing many beams in that single shot - enough to cripple the missiles of an opposing nation just as they took off. Once the missiles were fully airborne, aiming became a serious problem and that's why the theory was canned - but if you have sufficient intel on exactly when an enemy's missiles are taking off and you fire at the correct time you can effectively remove every first strike missile your opponent has deployed.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Ever heard of the Airborne Laser?
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 pm

This is some of the only sound science on NS! Sticky this now!
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Tarsas
Minister

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarsas » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:20 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

As someone who gets annoyed when noobs misuse lasers in modern tech, I want to just thank you so much.

KludgeMUSH
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby KludgeMUSH » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 pm

The best counter to missile spam is simply to provide an enormous array of inexpensive, expendable targets. If you don't clump up, a single missile can only kill one target. If you're spending hundreds of thousands on a missile to destroy a $5000 boat manned by three people, who may be able to escape by bailing out, you are losing the war economically. CIWS systems are expensive. Replacing speedboats is cheap, especially since they can be constructed by civilian industry without retooling. If you're not a submarine, you are a target.

On a side note, in the real world, lasers make rather amusing, if ridiculously expensive, bug zappers. The waste heat alone is fatal.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 am

You clearly havn't been paying much attention to the development of laser technology, or even this thread.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 am

Technically, since lasers are Radiation, a mirror would not work at all.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

KludgeMUSH
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby KludgeMUSH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 am

The problem with the mirror idea is that mirrors reflect maybe 50% of what hits it on a good day. The remaining 50% will be absorbed by the mirror, and in the case of a weapons-grade energy discharge like a lazor, will cause it to vaporize and explode, which greatly limits future usage as a mirror.

However, lasers are not typically used as a weapons: They presently suffer from horrible efficiency and cost, and offer only limited advantages over conventional ballistic projectiles. Reflective surfaces may have some utility against lasers used as guidance and targeting devices. However, such things function poorly as armor.

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 am

Salzland wrote:Oh, pff, we've already got the technology in real life to do better than the 500 meters or so that a CIWS covers. There's nothing stopping ship-borne laser anti missile systems (albeit ones hooked up to either nuclear reactors, or dedicated generators/electric drives, like the Zumwalt destroyer) (Edit: Or, alternatively, if you want to go with those old-fashioned chemical lasers, you'll need storage tanks for a bunch of very hazardous chemicals) from having thirty or forty kilometers of reach. They'll be (comparatively) bulky systems, they'll be limited to line of sight (meaning that there will be problems intercepting sea-skimming targets and ships in the center of formations won't be able to engage if there are friendly ships in the way), but it's doable. And having the ability to swat targets at a much longer range than a CIWS with a 100% hit probability means a lot when we're talking about the quantity of missiles that traditionally get tossed around in NS.

Keeping in mind, of course, that lasers are only a supplemental anti-missile system, and not intended to replace the protection provided by a full screen including traditional SAMs, Rolling Airframe Missiles and CIWS guns.

In MT, I have to say that most CIWS guns are far better than laser weapons. Chem lasers are the only ones we have in MT, and they have toxicity problems to deal with! CIWS carries all the ammo in the top drum, it has it's own radar, and, while it's range may not be the best, it's a last ditch defense. Aside from flares and Mylar, of course.

Salzland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

On the contrary, I contend that our friend the solid-state laser gets far too little love, especially considering several (most notably the FIRESTRIKE produced by Northrup-Grumman, as well as DARPA's HELLADS, the ZEUS IED/mine removal system and competition units designed by Raytheon and Textron) are either deployment-ready or approaching final stage testing before becoming duty-capable. I would also note that these systems have been developed and come on-line with only a bare minimum of funding (a few million dollars over the last decade), from a nation fighting two costly overseas wars while maintaining significant other foreign deployments, and facing an annual economic deficit of well over $1 trillion. In other words, despite investing only a pittance in these systems, which the U.S. does not especially need at the moment (going to my earlier points concerning the lack of political will), during times of economic hardship, there are field-ready solid state units that, again, far exceed the arbitrary limits you are attempting to impose.

I would also note that several other nations (most notably Israel) have made significant developments in this field as well, going so far as to introduce mobile (albeit chemical-based) systems that have successfully interdicted live munitions in actual combat. Not to mention classified systems being developed without public disclosure by various nations' armed forces. Once again, there absolutely are viable laser defense systems, both solid state and chemical, which not only offer superior capabilities in comparison with CIWS systems but are capable of being fielded in force by pure MT nations.

Yet again, I will state that I am not advocating the abandonment of CIWS systems. Getting rid of them is flat-out stupid. But there is no reason that a laser-based system cannot be used as a longer-ranged supplemental anti-missile weapon.
    Proud ODECON Member
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Akiwealth Member

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Solid state lasers are grossly expensive, and suck power like my old TV. Lasers, mounted on ships, however, would make a good supplement for existing AMS.

Salzland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Welcome to Nationstates, where defense budgets are measured by the tens of trillions, people sail trillion dollar warships, and even patrol boats are nuclear powered.

In other words, This is NationStates and solid state lasers, both here and IRL, are here to stay (especially when compared with even more expensive chemical lasers).
    Proud ODECON Member
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Akiwealth Member

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Salzland wrote:Welcome to Nationstates, where defense budgets are measured by the tens of trillions, people sail trillion dollar warships, and even patrol boats are nuclear powered.

In other words, This is NationStates and solid state lasers, both here and IRL, are here to stay (especially when compared with even more expensive chemical lasers).

Good point. I forgot that nations with a population of 10 million can have their very own Death Star.
:eyebrow:

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 pm

This is an excellent guide. Hopefully will improve the quality of MT RP involving lasers.

Both chemical and solid-state lasers can both very effective given they are applied correctly. The Boeing AL-1 Airborne Laser uses a chemically-powered laser which is feasible given the large operational platform, the 747. A solid-state laser, though less powerful, can be given sufficient power provided a powerful source. For example, my nation's Richard Stallman-class aircraft carriers use laser CIWS to shoot sown missiles. It is basically like a shipboard MTHEL or laser Phalanx system. It is sustained by the ships' efficient A1B reactors. Due to the decreased effectiveness in adverse weather, it is also backed up by the original Phalanx and by missiles such as th RIM-116 RAM/SeaRAM, Sea Sparrow, and ESSM. This is a good use of a laser for warfare, and it can be applied due to the A1B reactors which could power a small city. The Laser CIWS is also used on my upcoming Aiwass-class Arsenal Ships which are powered by 1 A1B reactor and have about 48 crew. As for using chemical lasers, you will need to use a large platform to support the amount of fuel.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Due to sticky overload in II, I've linked this in the II consolidation sticky and de-pinned it. Not porting the first post over there because I'd imagine it's more useful as a Q&A thread about lasers.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information