NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 am

New Amerik wrote:
The Tavan Race wrote:
Travellerius wrote:OK, I know it's FT and stuff, and I don't have a problem with teleportation and such, but light-speed really grinds my gears.

If matter were to travel at light speed Its length would become infinite and its width would become zero. This means that you would fill the entire universe and beyond at the same time as not existing whatsoever, (MAJOR PARADOX, WOULD DESTROY THE FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE AND CONFUSE EVERYONE). and faster than light speed is just out of the question. OK, so lets just say you go 1km per hour less than light speed (you would still die, but I'll let it pass in this situation). If you travelled a light-year and back at this speed, taking you around 2 years, when you come back it will feel like you have only been away 2 years and in fact you HAVE been away 2 years, but to Earth, you will have been gone many times that.

So please just teleport and save yourself having to explain some complicated time-bending and physics-defying technology.

I second this, and beside the point teleportation is so much more efficient. Get there in minutes where an FTL drive would take months!

So....how does one teleport, then? I assume it will not involce physics defying technology or systematic destruction and recreation of members of your race every time they teleport?

That is plausible, teleportation would probably done by exact cloning (and I mean scarily exact), which would be possible with some nano-bots and the right materials, then the correct ethical procedure would be to destroy the original. Or induce a wormhole... and try to go through it (I have no idea how you would test technology that would be able to get you through a wormhole because you wouldn't be able to tell if it had come out:
1. where you wanted it
2. if it had actually come out large enough to be visible
3. when you actually want it (Wormholes would bend time with their huge gravity, and could possibly send you to a parallel universe)
I am the proud founder of SNOM
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Infjyhndeng (not a joke,it is a real nation)
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

Marin Luther King said: "peace could last forever"... He was shot.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:30 am

Wormholes =/= black holes which is what your thinking about.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Tavan Race
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Wormholes =/= black holes which is what your thinking about.

Yes, I am pretty sure a wormhole doesn't have any gravitational force at all. It's just a linking between two separate points in space-time. Not really very dangerous, I wouldn't think.
.[]__ta ilokune nunlasi a kiso'hoso'hei kaetin__[]
.[]__voika neinseil tenei luneva daishe__[]
.Our Factbook
Tavan is capitalized when referring to a societal construct, such as the military or language.
It is left lowercase when referring to an individual organism or a biological characteristic.

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:38 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Wormholes =/= black holes which is what your thinking about.

It does depend, some wormhole theories would be traversable while some are basically black holes. But yes, exotic matter would enable you to get through one..... theoretically that is. I dibs not trying it first.
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:42 am

One type of 'wormhole' machine I had seen designed by an actual physicist (mind you, this is using theoretical theory to create a time traveling device) worked by assuming you could isolate a pair of wormholes linked together from quantum foam, and then use negative energy or whatever to enlarge their holes to proportions you could work with and stabilize them (there was something else involving a particle accelerator... I think that was used to smash together atoms and create the wormholes?). With the enlarged, usable wormholes you can tug one into the surface of a neutron star and then time on that side of the wormhole will move much slower to time on your side. ^_^

But seriously, yeah. All you need to be able to make wormholes 'usable' is somehow create dark/negative/whatever energy to stabilize a wormhole/enlarge it. And if Quantum Foam is right and microscopic wormholes are common, have fun!
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

The Tavan Race
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:45 am

Travellerius wrote:

It does depend, some wormhole theories would be traversable while some are basically black holes. But yes, exotic matter would enable you to get through one..... theoretically that is. I dibs not trying it first.

Yep, works fine for us. Although we never did get the first few ships we tried this with back... They are probably adrift somewhere in the cosmos. Ah, well. A few deaths are fine so long as they are in the name of SCIENCE!
.Our Factbook
Tavan is capitalized when referring to a societal construct, such as the military or language.
It is left lowercase when referring to an individual organism or a biological characteristic.

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:46 am

Sertian wrote:... and then use negative energy or whatever to enlarge their holes to proportions you could work with and stabilize them...

That's what she said. :p
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:22 am

...Did I really just read people going "FTL travel is just absurd, but I can create, stabilize, maintain, and utilize person sized wormholes wherever I want"?
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

The Tavan Race
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:28 am

North Mack wrote:...Did I really just read people going "FTL travel is just absurd, but I can create, stabilize, maintain, and utilize person sized wormholes wherever I want"?

Yes. Well, not create, but the last three.
.Our Factbook

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:29 am

*Has person sized wormholes* But that's mostly for mass transit and teleportation :P
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Alpha Imperium (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Imperium (Ancient) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 am

Meh.

Cyber Utopia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyber Utopia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:22 am

Travellerius wrote:If matter were to travel at light speed Its length would become infinite and its width would become zero.

Source? Not being picky, I'm genuinely interested
Last edited by Cyber Utopia on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity."

Feazanthia wrote:Remember - every time you chuck an asteroid at a planet, Bruce Willis gets a sappy self-sacrifice scene in a shitty movie.

Last edited by Jenrak on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the spelling error in the title; you can thank me later.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 am

To have matter travel a light speed requires infinite energy, and that matter will also attain infinite mass, why do you think the faster something travels the harder it hits? Because its mass increases exponentially the faster it goes. Its impossible to accelerate matter passed or at C with out some FTL drive.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Lemonius
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 am

What are we talking about now? How to travel between wormholes or something?
My factbook has been in disarray since Imageshack was subject to new management
Formerly Venezue, founded in June '09 now Lemonius, regularly 'inactive' since 2014
Many thanks to many friends who made this my home for a time

The Tavan Race
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am

Lemonius wrote:What are we talking about now? How to travel between wormholes or something?

Or the validity of this prospect in general. Not as if it really matters, though.
.Our Factbook

Khandosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Khandosia wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:It's more a matter of style for me. I like the image of vertical steam engines transporting passengers to huge train stations...IN SPACE. C'mon, admit it. It'd look awesome.

Only as long as the passengers are all wearing penguin suits, bowler hats, and have monocles while sipping tea delicately from good china.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ

I actually fell out of my seat laughing at that one. Nice!
My FT Factbook|Return of the Lion

"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am

The Tavan Race wrote:
North Mack wrote:...Did I really just read people going "FTL travel is just absurd, but I can create, stabilize, maintain, and utilize person sized wormholes wherever I want"?

Yes. Well, not create, but the last three.

What is this I don't even.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Solar Communes
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar Communes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:58 am

Solarian FTL travel is not simply absurd, it is soul-devouringly absurd.

And also the reason why the first contact they ever had with another FT NS involved Chronosia.
Last edited by Solar Communes on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 am

The Fedral Union wrote:So I've got a blank cheque to use ooc dislike to attack, invade, not trade with regardless of their ic actions :P? So for example Hue just said "I wont rp with you because you treated sert bad" (regardless of sert bitching about something not having to do with NS but never mind that). That amounts to an ignore right? So IC dose not matter a lick at all and we can use any ooc slight or dislike to attack anyone we hate?

That is...not what I said at all. I said that for any IC interaction to take place at all, one must have a working OOC relationship. So no, it's not a blank cheque to "attack and invade," because that involves IC interaction. If there is no working OOC relationship, there should be no IC interaction whatsoever, because nothing good will come from it. So yes, that's like an "ignore."
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Lemonius
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 am

Travellerius and Sertian, I'm pleased to announce that due to Travellerius' comment earlier you both have been added to my quotes spoiler. Congratulations! :p
My factbook has been in disarray since Imageshack was subject to new management
Formerly Venezue, founded in June '09 now Lemonius, regularly 'inactive' since 2014
Many thanks to many friends who made this my home for a time

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:53 am

Solar Communes wrote:*snip*

I love that movie.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:21 pm

This may open a can of worms (heh heh), but I always wondered.

How do people handle it when they try to jump into an area of space that is currently under FTLi? I'm specifically interested in point-to-point teleportation rather than tunneling or warp drives, but those interest me too. Does your vessel arrive somewhere just outside the field? Does it vanish and become a stream of undifferentiated atoms spread evenly across the universe? Does the drive simply fail to operate, sensing interference at the exit point?
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Feazanthia wrote:This may open a can of worms (heh heh), but I always wondered.

How do people handle it when they try to jump into an area of space that is currently under FTLi? I'm specifically interested in point-to-point teleportation rather than tunneling or warp drives, but those interest me too. Does your vessel arrive somewhere just outside the field? Does it vanish and become a stream of undifferentiated atoms spread evenly across the universe? Does the drive simply fail to operate, sensing interference at the exit point?

Hmm. Well, most FTLi can just be brute forced through, so it's not a problem. However, when it's not...

fold drives will simply just fail to engage. After all, if the place is under FTLi, then the fold wouldn't be able to initialize within the FTLi area. For my dimensional drives, ships just "bounce" up a dimension, the more power put into the jump, the higher (and further) they bounce.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 pm

In the case of the Void Drive I use (which would probably come under tunneling), the exit simply forms right on the edge of FTLi field. Assuming, of course, that the ship trying to exit doesn't dump more power into the tunnel which may brute force through in the FTLi zone anyway.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Since I've never encountered FTLi ICly... right now, if I tried to brute force and failed to you'd either see a catastrophic failure of the FTL drive, causing the dumped energy to discharge violently from the capacitors (read: electrical explosion) and gut half the ship. Alternatively, the exotic matter injector would be destroyed (the part that creates the exotic matter to hold the wormhole singularity open) and the ship would be stranded without FTL.

Both would be bad, but obviously the former would be worse (and have a far greater chance of occurring, naturally).
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives