NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Rethan wrote:*snip giant space dicks*

Because you're using biblical allusions, like Nephilim and Grigori...

*Begins working on a Project Emim*
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:36 pm

L3 Communications wrote:biblical allusions

Is Freespace the only blatant example of this?
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Third Spanish States wrote:*snippet*

I've never played Freespace, I didn't know! D:
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:44 pm

D:
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Kilrany
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2005
Corporate Police State

Postby Kilrany » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Solar Communes wrote:Depends on how exotic your FT base is. Making bigger things just for the sake of it is pointless, but when you impose hard limits regarding miniaturization to your technologies, you can build around such limits. So if there is no weapon, shield etc that would require a 5 km long big ship to fit inside it, there is no point in having something that big when you could have the equivalent firepower with a greater number of more efficient, smaller spaceships.

I would mostly agree with this, but as you say at the start, it's entirely dependent on your tech base if something smaller would make it more efficient. Granted you likely meant that as merely an example, but hard to tell with forum posting.

In my case, smaller is technically less efficient for me since a smaller craft is neither faster nor more maneuverable then one of my larger craft, thus in my case its better to have larger ships for increased internal volume and external surface area for weapons, shields, and power generation. Economy of force is about the only dictator to size for me.

I do however limit my use of super-sized ships, having only a few truly mammoth designs for the sake of not being an absolute ass in RP's, and avoiding unnecessary arguements about a ship being more durable then another believes it should be. Regardless of this, the size is less important to me then a person's intent. If they tell me this is their equivalent to a battleship(yes I continue to use the naval term narratively for the sake of everyone easily understanding intent), that's usually good enough for me, but generally needs to be equally balanced on other things that player is saying and trying to claim.
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya
(MT) The Kilrany Empire - Emperor Ivan Semyonovich Sviatov
(FT) The Kilrany - The Quinquevirate (Council of five)
Demonym: No alternate, Kilrany is the catch all term
Pronunciation: Kill-Raa-nee
General Purpose Kilrany FT OOC Thread

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Question. Do you think someone should be judged on their ooc actions instead of Ic actions regarding stuff? I mean FT has seemingly gone to that. Everyone now judges you by what you say oocly how you get along with people oocly instead of your ic actions. These new "Bro" alliances seem to be doing that. Are the days when keeping ooc grievances out of ic things was considered basic rp etiquette over? Should one be judged and treated based on their ooc comments and not ic actions?
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:Question. Do you think someone should be judged on their ooc actions instead of Ic actions regarding stuff? I mean FT has seemingly gone to that. Everyone now judges you by what you say oocly how you get along with people oocly instead of your ic actions. These new "Bro" alliances seem to be doing that. Are the days when keeping ooc grievances out of ic things was considered basic rp etiquette over? Should one be judged and treated based on their ooc comments and not ic actions?

Ultimately, anyone on these boards would have to give a resounding yes. Because this is a freeform-style of RP, OOC comes before IC. If players can't get along OOCly - for whatever reason - then IC doesn't matter, because they shouldn't be playing together. It will just breed bad RPs no matter what the IC situation, because they can't work together. IC worries can only matter when there is an OOC rep established.

That's why it's always good to establish bromanship with fellow players and keep a good RP circle. You can use IC circumstances to create it and get involved, but ultimately, any and all good IC interaction will be built upon a good OOC relationship.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Second question , how much space would an orbital ring around a planet have km^2 and would it be pointless or useful to have such an orbital ring? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring <----
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:Second question , how much space would an orbital ring around a planet have km^2 and would it be pointless or useful to have such an orbital ring? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring <----

Honestly, as an FT nation you would be beyond needing this. I can see one in a PMT nation but in one that is already FT you would just use your drives or other systems that are more efficient than putting tow cables in orbit and use them to hoist stuff in space. Of course, this would depend upon your flavor of SCIENCE! or science, I supposing those who like it Hard would favor the Ring idea but I know your nation well enough that you do not need this, unless you are planning on rewriting yourself as a Hard Science FT nation.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 pm

It's more a matter of style for me. I like the image of vertical steam engines transporting passengers to huge train stations...IN SPACE. C'mon, admit it. It'd look awesome.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Khandosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:It's more a matter of style for me. I like the image of vertical steam engines transporting passengers to huge train stations...IN SPACE. C'mon, admit it. It'd look awesome.

Only as long as the passengers are all wearing penguin suits, bowler hats, and have monocles while sipping tea delicately from good china.
My FT Factbook|Return of the Lion

"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:07 am

True about the not needing it part, but what if its to harness the power of the magnetosphere and sun? For a highly energy hungry civilization it would make sense to try to use every means at its disposal to gather power right?
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:56 am

Derscon wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:Question. Do you think someone should be judged on their ooc actions instead of Ic actions regarding stuff? I mean FT has seemingly gone to that. Everyone now judges you by what you say oocly how you get along with people oocly instead of your ic actions. These new "Bro" alliances seem to be doing that. Are the days when keeping ooc grievances out of ic things was considered basic rp etiquette over? Should one be judged and treated based on their ooc comments and not ic actions?

Ultimately, anyone on these boards would have to give a resounding yes. Because this is a freeform-style of RP, OOC comes before IC. If players can't get along OOCly - for whatever reason - then IC doesn't matter, because they shouldn't be playing together. It will just breed bad RPs no matter what the IC situation, because they can't work together. IC worries can only matter when there is an OOC rep established.

That's why it's always good to establish bromanship with fellow players and keep a good RP circle. You can use IC circumstances to create it and get involved, but ultimately, any and all good IC interaction will be built upon a good OOC relationship.

So I've got a blank cheque to use ooc dislike to attack, invade, not trade with regardless of their ic actions :P? So for example Hue just said "I wont rp with you because you treated sert bad" (regardless of sert bitching about something not having to do with NS but never mind that). That amounts to an ignore right? So IC dose not matter a lick at all and we can use any ooc slight or dislike to attack anyone we hate?
[REDACTED BY MOD]

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 am

Khandosia wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:It's more a matter of style for me. I like the image of vertical steam engines transporting passengers to huge train stations...IN SPACE. C'mon, admit it. It'd look awesome.

Only as long as the passengers are all wearing penguin suits, bowler hats, and have monocles while sipping tea delicately from good china.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Bazalonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazalonia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 am

My 2 cents...

If someone is OOCly friends with another person then that will help their IC nations relate and RP with each other well which meaning that IC differences between the nations is known to keepIC.. IC and OOC, OOC. keeping the two seperate but using a pre-existing OOC relationship as a basis for the creation of their IC relationship.

However if someone has OOC grievances than those greivances do transfer into IC. They shouldn't but it's a simple fact that they do due to the way we humans are. Exactly how they effect the IC relationship of characters and nations depends on those grievances and the maturity of each participant. they could be from a general "I don't really want to RP with that guy" "I'm going to 'win' against him." to altering IC relations not because of anything that the other has IC done to simply ignoring each other.

It's been mentioned before that this is a free-form RP and yes positive OOC relations are beneficial, neutral OOC relations that turn into IC, depends on how that ICgoes and would push OOC relations one way or the other. As for negative relations... look all I can say it's Free-form, the only thing that you can control are your actions both ICly and OOCly and while I wish people could not take things not so seriously afterall this is meant to be for entertainment, a game, people do respond emotionally to their creations.
Bazalonia.bz: For all your Bazalonian Government needs
Bazalonia, my characters, my settings - A Blog

* Han has an utter sinking feeling that details of this are going to surreptitiously slip out into someone's siggy...
<Han> so let's hope it's neither precognitive nor self-fulfilling...

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am

Would you play with someone if they came over and kicked your friend's sandcastle over, or would you both avoid that person and go play with someone else?
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 am

Not really, because this is nationstates not a school yard. And I'd look at both sides not just one I'm not that blind. People don't seem to realize that, and they love taking their ooc hate of people to new extremes.

All these "bros" could care less, it seems as if one brynshander leaves an entire group replaces him. Of course what should I expect? People to actually act mature? Hell I whine sometimes I tell people about my resentment that I get stuck in a certain position while others just glide ahead of me, even if I did nothing ICLY to warrant it. But see my ooc actions make me poison to people in this game, but this is the internet.

In the end people can do as they please ,ignore who they please be an ass to who they please. But I must say nationstates alliances have become a horrid monstrosity of OOC and IC mixing, I remember the old days when this wasn't so when you were called out for mixing both! At least in my group, but things have changed it seems. Now I get to have people resenting me and being ass holes to me for things I didn't even do on the site it self . Hell people judge you by what you say ooc instead of what you do, that is the fact. Any way why waste my breath any more?

I return to my previous question, about the planetary ring, should I just build a swarm instead? Wouldn't an orbiting ring around a planet need to be twice its diameter?
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:04 am

OK, I know it's FT and stuff, and I don't have a problem with teleportation and such, but light-speed really grinds my gears.

If matter were to travel at light speed Its length would become infinite and its width would become zero. This means that you would fill the entire universe and beyond at the same time as not existing whatsoever, (MAJOR PARADOX, WOULD DESTROY THE FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE AND CONFUSE EVERYONE). and faster than light speed is just out of the question. OK, so lets just say you go 1km per hour less than light speed (you would still die, but I'll let it pass in this situation). If you travelled a light-year and back at this speed, taking you around 2 years, when you come back it will feel like you have only been away 2 years and in fact you HAVE been away 2 years, but to Earth, you will have been gone many times that.

So please just teleport and save yourself having to explain some complicated time-bending and physics-defying technology.
I am the proud founder of SNOM
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Infjyhndeng (not a joke,it is a real nation)
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

Marin Luther King said: "peace could last forever"... He was shot.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 am

... Except there are a myriad of ways FTL can work, Hiem hyper drive being one, worm holes being another, warp metrics being yet another. No one takes it that far and explains all this theoretical stuff, we're here to have fun not play fictional scientist. But it is fun exploring some concepts. But essentially what I want to do is make a ring around a planet to harness the power of its magnetic field.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 am

Travellerius wrote:OK, I know it's FT and stuff, and I don't have a problem with teleportation and such, but light-speed really grinds my gears.

If matter were to travel at light speed Its length would become infinite and its width would become zero. This means that you would fill the entire universe and beyond at the same time as not existing whatsoever, (MAJOR PARADOX, WOULD DESTROY THE FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE AND CONFUSE EVERYONE). and faster than light speed is just out of the question. OK, so lets just say you go 1km per hour less than light speed (you would still die, but I'll let it pass in this situation). If you travelled a light-year and back at this speed, taking you around 2 years, when you come back it will feel like you have only been away 2 years and in fact you HAVE been away 2 years, but to Earth, you will have been gone many times that.

So please just teleport and save yourself having to explain some complicated time-bending and physics-defying technology.

I, New Amerik, prophesize this will not end well.
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

The Tavan Race
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:08 am

Travellerius wrote:OK, I know it's FT and stuff, and I don't have a problem with teleportation and such, but light-speed really grinds my gears.

I second this, and beside the point teleportation is so much more efficient. Get there in minutes where an FTL drive would take months!
.[]__ta ilokune nunlasi a kiso'hoso'hei kaetin__[]
.[]__voika neinseil tenei luneva daishe__[]
.Our Factbook
Tavan is capitalized when referring to a societal construct, such as the military or language.
It is left lowercase when referring to an individual organism or a biological characteristic.

Vetokia Prime
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetokia Prime » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:09 am

There's a few problems with this. Try 'em;

1. There are people who use teleportation.
2. You've not taken into account other peoples different FTL systems.

Will expand on this later, off to lesson
Nation Retired.
Storm_: "Truly. I wish to hit her so hard that whoever pulled me out of him will be crowned the next King of England. I will conquer Asia to build an Empire for the manpower that would build the machine I would use to tap that ass. I would initiate a forbidden ritual to ascend to the next step of existence, so I could hit her like the fist of an angry god."

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 am

The Tavan Race wrote:

I second this, and beside the point teleportation is so much more efficient. Get there in minutes where an FTL drive would take months!

So....how does one teleport, then? I assume it will not involce physics defying technology or systematic destruction and recreation of members of your race every time they teleport?
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:11 am

[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Tavan Race
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tavan Race » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 am

Nope, all it involves is a theoretical type of matter called exotic matter. In an electromagnetic field, it exerts a negative gravitational force, enough to hold open a preexisting wormhole to wherever it is you wanted to go. The ship then promptly flies through the wormhole, and it closes up again, as is the natural course of things.

That's how we do it anyway. :unsure: I think it's kinda possible, and even if it isn't we are FT. We can bend the laws of physics a bit.
.[]__ta ilokune nunlasi a kiso'hoso'hei kaetin__[]
.[]__voika neinseil tenei luneva daishe__[]
.Our Factbook
Tavan is capitalized when referring to a societal construct, such as the military or language.
It is left lowercase when referring to an individual organism or a biological characteristic.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives