NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Sertian wrote:
Kilrany wrote:Heh, only if you attempted to tell me it could kill a rival capitol ship in one shot, heck I'd include those hollowed out moons firing asteroids, if it wasn't something agreed upon in advance as a plot device weapon, I'd ignore any claim of one shot kill since anyone at any time can claim immense weapons without any limitation.

True enough I suppose. Any weapon or defense device in an RP is only as strong as the players working together make it to be. Still, its not like it was an unstoppable weapon... If a 3.2 kilometer long dreadnought turned its massive canon for a nose at your ship and you DIDN'T hard burn to try and get out of the way, your ship clearly wasn't destined to live. x3

Likewise with my torpedoes. They're slow enough that, unless fired at point blank range or in a volley of 50,000 or so, you'll have plenty of time to either get out of the way or throw a frigate in front of them :P

I wouldn't say they're "super" weapons, strictly speaking. A one-hit kill would require hitting an area of a ship which had something which was likely to explode in it. An ammunition magazine, flight deck, or reactor of some sort, for example. In reasonable large ships, of course, but then, my definition of 'reasonable large' is around 1,000 feet.

More or less, they're like modern torpedoes, just scaled up for space combat. The downside being that you can't create a vacuum in space, what with it already being one.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Germanic Mars
Envoy

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Germanic Mars » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Would it be accepted by FT NS'er if I said that my Schnellcraft (Space Nazi Flying Saucers) are the Colony's warships?
Mars [Inspired by Iron Sky]

[Xiscapia] Shinobi stared. Collecting teeth, that was one thing, he could understand that, the taking of war trophies was officially frowned upon but unofficially done all the time in the Imperial Army...but whole skins? That took time and commitment, and it wasn't exactly the sort of thing you could hide. When Stein said hunters, he wasn't speaking metaphorically, it was literal, these men actually hunted fellow sapients like animals, and judging from the teeth and pelts, they were very good at it.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Germanic Mars wrote:Would it be accepted by FT NS'er if I said that my Schnellcraft (Space Nazi Flying Saucers) are the Colony's warships?

Dude it's all good. FT is your imagination.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 pm

I now have the mental image of a bunch of stereotypical flying saucers flying about with the stereotypical high-pitched hum, but they all have loudspeakers attached to them going "SCHNELL! SCHNELL! SCHNELL!" over and over again.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Khavar
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Khavar » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Feazanthia wrote:I now have the mental image of a bunch of stereotypical flying saucers flying about with the stereotypical high-pitched hum, but they all have loudspeakers attached to them going "SCHNELL! SCHNELL! SCHNELL!" over and over again.

That would be their renowned SHNELL! Drive System. Amplified sound waves are fed through a Hass-Einfeldt Scatter Reconvergence Chamber and then focused through a Decibelic Amplification Catalytic Converter to provide lift and propulsion... Pretty simple really.

:lol:

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Feazanthia wrote:I now have the mental image of a bunch of stereotypical flying saucers flying about with the stereotypical high-pitched hum, but they all have loudspeakers attached to them going "SCHNELL! SCHNELL! SCHNELL!" over and over again.

"Exterminieren! Exterminieren! Halt! Sonst werden wir Sie exterminieren! Sie sind jetzt ein Gefangener der Daleks! Exterminieren! Exterminieren!"

You know it makes sense.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Derscon
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Ozymos wrote:

"Exterminieren! Exterminieren! Halt! Sonst werden wir Sie exterminieren! Sie sind jetzt ein Gefangener der Daleks! Exterminieren! Exterminieren!"

You know it makes sense.

I lol'd IRL
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Derscon wrote:
Ozymos wrote:

You know it makes sense.

I lol'd IRL

You have out Nazi-Dalek'd me, sir :bow:

EDIT: Quickly putting that through babel fish resulted in the translation "Everything exterminates itself, the Hitler's will Verweiggrn!", whilst the warning on the bottom reads "Attention, Radiation pressure wave"

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:On the bridge, things were not so serene.

"You mean they ALL took a wrong turn!?" Admiral Pyotr Fyodorovich Anjou turned with amazing speed to face the communications officer, who simply nodded.

"Approximately six seconds after transition to Etherdrive, it appears that the remainder of the fleet took the left branch path, and are presently in..." The man checked a message, "The New Albuquerque System."

Trully Epic post is made of epic. Thank you OMG, this made me lol quite considerably :lol:
Last edited by Ozymos on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Sennai
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sennai » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:49 am

On the subject of "Super" weapons.

My nation only has one sort of discernable thing. The Trident Cannons on the Sen Alliance's flagship SSA Poseidon. This was shortened to its length with help from MC and even then it still fills my hopes. Mainly because i look at how i do the Sen Alliance and then cringe at what ive seen other people do.

Anyway, a 50 meter wide 100 meter long rocket assisted Solid slug fired through a 6 Km long coilgun at 5 Km a second. It was my sort of giant Killer. used to be bigger (it used to have a 2 Km wide bore....>_>) but even now it sorta scares me buts more manageable.

Then again the cooling time between shots is quite a while. Even though theirs two of them mounted on the big ass super capital..

This brings me onto my second thing. Why does your nation use its specific type of weaponry?
For example my nation uses Assault rifles, coilguns and Lots of damm missiles even though they would be quite capeable of making implementing and using High powered Laser technology. They use Missiles because of a war they had with themselves at a point where space travel was limited to a slightly more advanced shuttle craft with Stasised people in it since they lived on five planets in close proximity to one another IPBM's where the first line of attack and defensce. with coilguns taking a secondry role as mountable shuttle guns. with conventional firearms taking the useal lspot because although they could make lasers and such, It was a very effective way of killing the enemy. even if it is by alot of FT standards now as greatly primitive and outdated.

So my question is this. why does your nation use their particular type of weaponry?
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dramatic Dashie
Sen system Alliance Factbook
My Little Soviet's, Communisim is Magic.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 am

@Ozy
*Doffs cap*

@Sennai
Is it made of diamonds?
'Cause that would be awesome.

As to why we use the weapons we use...'cause a linear musket is pretty much the only hand-held weapon capable of taking down a kinetic shield in an efficient manner. And it can kill tanks. And mecha. And pretty much anything short of lesser deities. Although they might have trouble with some demi-gods. But we have priests for those.

The range issue is, of course, something of a disadvantage, and why I have to rely on direct-fire artillery support and light infantry (uber-powered cannons and guys with more conventional 'assault rifle' type weapons) to cover my line infantry.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Lemonius
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am

What's the current topic everyone's debating?
My factbook has been in disarray since Imageshack was subject to new management
Formerly Venezue, founded in June '09 now Lemonius, regularly 'inactive' since 2014
Many thanks to many friends who made this my home for a time

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

What sort of cheese goes best with red wine. IN SPACE!!!
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Lemonius
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 am

Well, on it's own or in a sandwhich I'd say a mature cheddar. But with Red Wine I'd suggest Camembert, especially in space.
My factbook has been in disarray since Imageshack was subject to new management
Formerly Venezue, founded in June '09 now Lemonius, regularly 'inactive' since 2014
Many thanks to many friends who made this my home for a time

Asneira2
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Asneira2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:34 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:What sort of cheese goes best with red wine. IN SPACE!!!

Swiss. It's the perfect cheese.
DRINK GLORIOUS ORANGE JUCHE

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 am

The question is not what, but why?

Or better yet to stay on topic: nutrient paste or fully stocked meals. On a starship, which do you use and why? Do you have fully stocked galleys or spartan cafeterias? Are you starships constantly supplied or do they make due with recycled products?
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:56 am

Depends, officer or enlisted? Peasants can survive on cold ration bars and vodka. That's actually probably an improvement on their diet from home :p
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Otagia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Otagia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 pm

You still have people on your space ships? Barbarians...

Asneira2
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asneira2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Vocenae wrote:The question is not what, but why?

Or better yet to stay on topic: nutrient paste or fully stocked meals. On a starship, which do you use and why? Do you have fully stocked galleys or spartan cafeterias? Are you starships constantly supplied or do they make due with recycled products?

Depends on what you mean by "nutrient paste". Are you meaning algae, in-vitro meats or what?

On my starships, there tends to be a fully stocked hydroponics bay for emergencies like when your FTL drive breaks. Oh shit time to slowboat home. Good thing these warships double as generation ships with equal (or about) ratios of male:female crew for each species. As a side note, the protein rations are always vat grown and probably odd tasting for people who're used to natural meats (it's literally just muscle cells grown in a sponge-like material that is also edible and regenerating).

Luckily, most of my crews have never even tasted natural meat, much less became accustomed to it, since actual animal meat is so prohibitively expensive in my FT nation (gogogo environmental collapse). The hydroponics bays and in-vitro labs are often kept at sustainable levels, thanks to an overabundance of food to support the ship's crew on long voyages, or if there's a humanitarian crisis and your ship is suddenly swamped with vodka drinking, waltzing, half-burnt, commie-hatin' refugees. Although, meat is generally harder to come by, but soy beans, peanuts and grain foods keep this at less of a problem than you would normally think; and the massive hydroponics bays assure there's always a surplus of fruit and vegetables.

So far, I haven't figured out a logical way to have in-vitro milk, besides baby formula or milking the female crew members (fox milk D:), but I'm sure it's possible.

So a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Otagia wrote:You still have people on your space ships? Barbarians...

You and your logic.
Last edited by Asneira2 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Asneira2 wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "nutrient paste". Are you meaning algae, in-vitro meats or what?

On my starships, there tends to be a fully stocked hydroponics bay for emergencies like when your FTL drive breaks. Oh shit time to slowboat home. Good thing these warships double as generation ships with equal (or about) ratios of male:female crew for each species. As a side note, the protein rations are always vat grown and probably odd tasting for people who're used to natural meats (it's literally just muscle cells grown in a sponge-like material that is also edible and regenerating).

Luckily, most of my crews have never even tasted natural meat, much less became accustomed to it, since actual animal meat is so prohibitively expensive in my FT nation (gogogo environmental collapse). The hydroponics bays and in-vitro labs are often kept at sustainable levels, thanks to an overabundance of food to support the ship's crew on long voyages, or if there's a humanitarian crisis and your ship is suddenly swamped with vodka drinking, waltzing, half-burnt, commie-hatin' refugees. Although, meat is generally harder to come by, but soy beans, peanuts and grain foods keep this at less of a problem than you would normally think; and the massive hydroponics bays assure there's always a surplus of fruit and vegetables.

So far, I haven't figured out a logical way to have in-vitro milk, besides baby formula or milking the female crew members (fox milk D:), but I'm sure it's possible.

So a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Umm....what he says ^^

Asneira2
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asneira2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Esternial wrote:
Asneira2 wrote:*snip communism*

Umm....what he says ^^

Pffft. That's what I'm supposed to say.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Otagia wrote:You still have people on your space ships? Barbarians...

^5
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Sennai wrote:Anyway, a 50 meter wide 100 meter long rocket assisted Solid slug fired through a 6 Km long coilgun at 5 Km a second. It was my sort of giant Killer. used to be bigger (it used to have a 2 Km wide bore....>_>) but even now it sorta scares me buts more manageable.
A yield of less than 5 mt TNT equivalent isn't exactly what I'd call 'Super'.

And using materials worth a six km long coilgun to get an effect that can be achieved by simply detonating a thermonuclear warhead massing some, oh, a little over a ton (Well, a little over two tons if you want to make it a clean explosion) is of, uh, questionable value.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:09 pm

The Kiith controlled their ships neurally from "acceleration tanks" (basically vats full of oxygenated high-density gel that absorbed G-forces), and as such their nutrients were specifically tailored for maximum physical and mental efficiency and administered through IV. While the ships were typically not intended for high-endurance (most war sailers never stayed out of dry dock for more than a couple months), their crews were ridiculously small for their size and the self-replenishing algae used for replenishing the oxygen in the accel. tanks could serve as a food supply for several additional months without impacting oxygen generation. Otherwise, "out-tank" foodstuffs consisted of freeze-dried insects (a staple in the Kiith diet, as red meat did not exist on Kush much to the chagrin of the early colonists) and dietary supplements.

The Rodinan Corp. feeds its employees decently, though fresh meat is still a rarity on board vessels other than the RAV Hostile Takeover. One of the reason they're hesitant to take on non-humans is their unwillingness to accomodate alternative dietary needs. Even though their ships are massive, space is still at a premium; the Marauders and troop transports are designed for long endurance and much of their internal space is dedicated to ammunition and fuel. In fact, most non-naval personnel are placed in cold-sleep until they need to deploy. These troops are kept alive with the barest minimum of nutrients to keep their bodies from atrophy while they're in stasis. Naval personnel tend to exist on hydroponically grown fruits and vegetables, legumes, and all sorts of edible plants from a host of different worlds.

The Protoss are photosynthetic. Sunlight (artificial or natural) and water are all they need. They absorb water, light, and minerals through their skin.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Depends on the size and type of vessel. Basically there are three "types" of provisions loadouts among the Coalition. The first is short-term provisioning, used for ships which stay close to the Home Fleets. These include the local defensive warships, the civilian ships, and most of the factory ships. These ships are stocked with shelf stable, pre-packaged meals, as well as a small supply of preserved ingredients for those who like to cook for themselves. Resupply is frequent and focused usually on the preserved ingredients. Standard supplies are for two months.

There are mid-duration vessels such as mining fleets and expeditionary warships. These get a larger supply of packaged meals, since the "fresh" ingredients are usually used up within the first month or so. Duration supplies are rationed for four months.

Finally there are long-duration vessels. Scout/survey squadrons, and long-range expeditions almost always have a supply ship (a freighter usually) which not only has the tour's supply of preserved foods, but will also have hydroponics and tissue-culture vats aboard.

Since we have a wide variety of species in the Coalition, we try to supply a wide variety of diets with what they need. This includes raw, "fresh" meat for the obligate carnivores. Meat is usually vat-grown tissue cultures. A little more advanced than what I saw described earlier, these muscle tissues are cultured in a way that provides them "natural" nutrient intake, and simulated exercise. As such, the flavor and texture of the meat can be tailored, and often comes as close to the real thing as possible.
Live animal farms can be found aboard some of the Homeships, where predatory species can get some fresh kill.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Amaranthine war ships are grown from Sarysaaium, a handwavium-material found, as far as we know, only in the planet-asteroids of Saryudhra in the Kaesthondheim system. Saryusaaium is inorganic, but behaves as a coral-like micro-organism. It's used because it's quick to grow, and also a material dense in magical and psionic power because of where it is grown. It is also both photosynthetic (although not like organic plants) and psychosynthetic, in the sense that it can use magic, psionic, and ethereal energy to feed just as well as starlight. Anyway, ships are then grown and shaped in one of the shipyards/temples in places of enormous magical, psionic, or ethereal energy (after all, gotta feed it a healthy diet so it grows big and strong!). It's shaped by various mages specialized in ship design and construction, assisted by engineers for the less-psionic part (although the mages are engineers themselves)

tl;dr my ships are made of magic and rainbows

As for crew, since the ship itself is a living being, it's designed to be able to sustain itself without the need of outside help, much like biological organisms are capable of living independently. However, it's "manned" by one to a few Kaesthari - non-corporal god beings that make up the "ruling class," as it were - that meld with the ship, fusing with the overmind. As such, no sustenance beyond that what is required for the ship is needed for a crew, except when we bring along a crew pod or two for whatever reason.

tl;dr my people are made of magic and rainbows <_<

瞞天過海

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives