NATION

PASSWORD

[NSG Senate] Senate Chamber: Do We Have Work?

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Skyviolia wrote:"Is this a matter of public record, Mr. President?"

"Mr Speaker, would you want to confirm to the Hon Gentleman that the Criminal Code is a government bill, and how you were made aware of this fact by myself and the Honourable John Chiu?"

"So, Mr. President, your telling me that after the Speaker made his ruling, you bypassed his ruling by declaring to a government bill, and neither you nor the Speaker felt it was necessary to inform the public or the Chamber of this decision? Were the sponsors of the bill aware that this decision was made?"
Qui est-ce ?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, would you want to confirm to the Hon Gentleman that the Criminal Code is a government bill, and how you were made aware of this fact by myself and the Honourable John Chiu?"

"So, Mr. President, your telling me that after the Speaker made his ruling, you bypassed his ruling by declaring to a government bill, and neither you nor the Speaker felt it was necessary to inform the public or the Chamber of this decision? Were the sponsors of the bill aware that this decision was made?"

"Mr Speaker, do you want to make the Hon Gentleman aware that the Government is indeed very confident that it knows that it made the Criminal Code into a Government bill and that there's nothing being "bypassed" since it was a decision taken by John Chiu and myself after we had realised that the Criminal Code was not deemed a Government bill. Mr Speaker, could you also let the Leader of the Social Liberal Party, the Honourable Tijah bin Dian, that his party members are supposed to address you, the Speaker, when making statements in this House?"
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Skyviolia wrote:"So, Mr. President, your telling me that after the Speaker made his ruling, you bypassed his ruling by declaring to a government bill, and neither you nor the Speaker felt it was necessary to inform the public or the Chamber of this decision? Were the sponsors of the bill aware that this decision was made?"

"Mr Speaker, do you want to make the Hon Gentleman aware that the Government is indeed very confident that it knows that it made the Criminal Code into a Government bill and that there's nothing being "bypassed" since it was a decision taken by John Chiu and myself after we had realised that the Criminal Code was not deemed a Government bill. Mr Speaker, could you also let the Leader of the Social Liberal Party, the Honourable Tijah bin Dian, that his party members are supposed to address you, the Speaker, when making statements in this House?"

"Mr. Speaker, my concern is not the fact that the Criminal Code was made a government bill, my concern is that it was made as a government bill specifically so it can get preference over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented. I think the President knows how to label a bill as a government bill and he clearly didn't do so. And that is not my main concern, my main concern is that neither the Speaker nor the government decided to inform us of this decision and that none of the sponsors were contacted to inform them of this change. This is clear misuse of your powers."
Qui est-ce ?

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Skyviolia wrote:"Is this a matter of public record, Mr. President?"

"Mr Speaker, would you want to confirm to the Hon Gentleman that the Criminal Code is a government bill, and how you were made aware of this fact by myself and the Honourable John Chiu?"

"ORDER - I, of course, was not privy to the private conversation but Mr Speaker very clearly told this house that the Criminal Code was a government bill.

Now that has been made clear the Honourable [Skyviolia] will either debate the bill at hand, or he shall sit down."
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 pm

"Mr. Speaker, my esteemed colleague brings up a valid point. Were the other sponsors even consulted before the government unilaterally took it upon itself to make this a Government bill, and therefore punt to the side a bill that, until the last possible moment, was scheduled to be debated? Or is it perhaps the intent of the Government, Mr. Speaker, to forceably set aside bills proposed by the Honorable Opposition, Mr. Speaker?"
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Argentarino wrote:"Mr. Speaker, my esteemed colleague brings up a valid point. Were the other sponsors even consulted before the government unilaterally took it upon itself to make this a Government bill, and therefore punt to the side a bill that, until the last possible moment, was scheduled to be debated? Or is it perhaps the intent of the Government, Mr. Speaker, to forceably set aside bills proposed by the Honorable Opposition, Mr. Speaker?"

"ORDER - there is no requirement enshrined in law for sponsors to be informed of a bill becoming a government bill. The government may, by very definition, unilaterally make a bill a government bill."
Last edited by The Sarian on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:09 pm

The Sarian wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, would you want to confirm to the Hon Gentleman that the Criminal Code is a government bill, and how you were made aware of this fact by myself and the Honourable John Chiu?"

"ORDER - I, of course, was not privy to the private conversation but Mr Speaker very clearly told this house that the Criminal Code was a government bill.

Now that has been made clear the Honourable [Skyviolia] will either debate the bill at hand, or he shall sit down."

"Mr. Deputy Speaker, this Senate was NOT notified of the change, if she would like to prove me wrong, I petition that she bring forth evidence from the public record to support her claim."
Qui est-ce ?

Argentarino
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"ORDER - I, of course, was not privy to the private conversation but Mr Speaker very clearly told this house that the Criminal Code was a government bill.

"Mr. Deputy Speaker, this Senate was NOT notified of the change, if she would like to prove me wrong, I petition that she bring forth evidence from the public record to support her claim."

"I would second such a petition, Madame Deputy Speaker."
Last edited by Argentarino on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Senator Sushila Fonseca

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, do you want to make the Hon Gentleman aware that the Government is indeed very confident that it knows that it made the Criminal Code into a Government bill and that there's nothing being "bypassed" since it was a decision taken by John Chiu and myself after we had realised that the Criminal Code was not deemed a Government bill. Mr Speaker, could you also let the Leader of the Social Liberal Party, the Honourable Tijah bin Dian, that his party members are supposed to address you, the Speaker, when making statements in this House?"

"Mr. Speaker, my concern is not the fact that the Criminal Code was made a government bill, my concern is that it was made as a government bill specifically so it can get preference over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented. I think the President knows how to label a bill as a government bill and he clearly didn't do so. And that is not my main concern, my main concern is that neither the Speaker nor the government decided to inform us of this decision and that none of the sponsors were contacted to inform them of this change. This is clear misuse of your powers."

"Mr Speaker, could you tell the Hon Gentleman that you were told by me, yesterday, that the Criminal Code is a Government bill? It is a Government bill, written by a member of this Government, with the support of the President. You are only doing your job, giving priority to Government bills. Does the Speaker think we should send the Hon Gentleman an email, or maybe a beep on a pager, or maybe even leave a Post-It on his fridge to warn him whenever the Government decides to give support to a bill? We've never done that before, so why would it be necessary now?"
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"ORDER - I, of course, was not privy to the private conversation but Mr Speaker very clearly told this house that the Criminal Code was a government bill.

Flipping through her papers slightly, with an the irritated frown she preserved for irritating members of the SLP (and the Alternative, a party that will never catch on), Sa Ri An picked out a page from the Parliamentary Records, and read it verbatim, "Following a memorandum from the President, the Criminal Code will be considered a government bill". She then distributed the page to the Senators.

"ORDER - for the record, even if the Speaker had not told the house, it would still not affect anything."

Tumbra wrote:"Following a memorandum from the President, the Criminal Code will be considered a government bill."

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Skyviolia wrote:"Mr. Speaker, my concern is not the fact that the Criminal Code was made a government bill, my concern is that it was made as a government bill specifically so it can get preference over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented. I think the President knows how to label a bill as a government bill and he clearly didn't do so. And that is not my main concern, my main concern is that neither the Speaker nor the government decided to inform us of this decision and that none of the sponsors were contacted to inform them of this change. This is clear misuse of your powers."

"Mr Speaker, could you tell the Hon Gentleman that you were told by me, yesterday, that the Criminal Code is a Government bill? It is a Government bill, written by a member of this Government, with the support of the President. You are only doing your job, giving priority to Government bills. Does the Speaker think we should send the Hon Gentleman an email, or maybe a beep on a pager, or maybe even leave a Post-It on his fridge to warn him whenever the Government decides to give support to a bill? We've never done that before, so why would it be necessary now?"

"No, it isn't. The bill was written in a way that implies that it isn't a government bill. It asked for sponsors, no where was it clarified that it was a government bill. It was declared a bill of the government just to have it take precedence over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented."
Last edited by Skyviolia on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qui est-ce ?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, could you tell the Hon Gentleman that you were told by me, yesterday, that the Criminal Code is a Government bill? It is a Government bill, written by a member of this Government, with the support of the President. You are only doing your job, giving priority to Government bills. Does the Speaker think we should send the Hon Gentleman an email, or maybe a beep on a pager, or maybe even leave a Post-It on his fridge to warn him whenever the Government decides to give support to a bill? We've never done that before, so why would it be necessary now?"

"No, it isn't. The bill was written in a way that implies that it isn't a government bill. It asked for sponsors, no where was it clarified that it was a government bill. It was declared a bill of the government just to have it take precedence over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented."

"Mr Speaker, why is this Hon Gentleman making baseless accusations towards me?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, could you tell the Hon Gentleman that you were told by me, yesterday, that the Criminal Code is a Government bill? It is a Government bill, written by a member of this Government, with the support of the President. You are only doing your job, giving priority to Government bills. Does the Speaker think we should send the Hon Gentleman an email, or maybe a beep on a pager, or maybe even leave a Post-It on his fridge to warn him whenever the Government decides to give support to a bill? We've never done that before, so why would it be necessary now?"

"ORDER - that's what the government is for, to implement it's agenda of government. If the Honourable Member has an issue with the way this parliament works then he should have brought it up in the Constitutional Convention. As it stands, he is wasting this Parliaments time and shall cease to do so.

This goes for everyone, go back to the topic of debate or go back to your offices. I am not afraid to name people who cannot abide by that."

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Skyviolia wrote:"No, it isn't. The bill was written in a way that implies that it isn't a government bill. It asked for sponsors, no where was it clarified that it was a government bill. It was declared a bill of the government just to have it take precedence over the bill the Shadow Home Secretary presented."

"Mr Speaker, why is this Hon Gentleman making baseless accusations towards me?"

"Can I ask, Mr. Speaker, why the government decided that the right time to declare the bill a government bill was not made when the bill was presented, or when it was introduced to the repository, or until it was added to the order paper, or any time before that, my was it a last minute change that was made while we were ending the debate on the Government Tax Revenue Act and when we were supposed to move on to the Aediles act? If memory serves me right, this bill was presented to the public at least two weeks ago, are you telling me that in two weeks, you did not realize the bill was not properly labeled as a government bill, and that only until we were supposed to go on to the Aediles bill, you made your change?"
Qui est-ce ?

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"Mr Speaker, why is this Hon Gentleman making baseless accusations towards me?"

"Can I ask, Mr. Speaker, why the government decided that the right time to declare the bill a government bill was not made when the bill was presented, or when it was introduced to the repository, or until it was added to the order paper, or any time before that, my was it a last minute change that was made while we were ending the debate on the Government Tax Revenue Act and when we were supposed to move on to the Aediles act? If memory serves me right, this bill was presented to the public at least two weeks ago, are you telling me that in two weeks, you did not realize the bill was not properly labeled as a government bill, and that only until we were supposed to go on to the Aediles bill, you made your change?"

"ORDER - I made it very clear that this discussion would end and the honourable member has ignored that.

As such, I order the honourable member to withdraw from this house for the remainder of this days sitting."

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:32 pm

"For the record, these are statements made the the Deputy Speaker that I think the Parliament should see -"

The Sarian wrote:Sa Ri An stood up, "This was clearly written by an eleven year old with learning difficulties".

Sa Ri An sat down.

The Sarian wrote:"Why would the opposition care about petty things like the financial future of this nation, Mr Speaker? After all, their egos are much more important."

It is obvious the Deputy Speaker is neither impartial or fair, I ask her to step down."
Qui est-ce ?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Iskba wonders whether the SLP can go a single speech without calling into question the Speaker's impartiality or integrity.
Rosa Luxemburg

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Skyviolia wrote:"For the record, these are statements made the the Deputy Speaker that I think the Parliament should see -"

The Sarian wrote:Sa Ri An stood up, "This was clearly written by an eleven year old with learning difficulties".

Sa Ri An sat down.

The Sarian wrote:"Why would the opposition care about petty things like the financial future of this nation, Mr Speaker? After all, their egos are much more important."

It is obvious the Deputy Speaker is neither impartial or fair, I ask her to step down."

Hear Hear!
President Emmanuel Carvallo
1st President of the Senate of Fernão (2017-2017)
Chief Whip of the Civic Union

Patricio Magrina
Nominee for Secretary of Health and Labour
Member of the Events Committee

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

Liberal Conservative Roman Catholic.
Member of the Liberal National Party of Queensland (LNP)
Supporter of the Coalition (Australia).

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Skyviolia wrote:"For the record, these are statements made the the Deputy Speaker that I think the Parliament should see -"

Sa Ri An sat down.

"First of all, I must note that neither the Constitution or any law passed by this body requires me to be impartial when I am not acting in my role as Deputy Speaker. When I am in this role, I maintain absolute impartiality and if you care to look at Parliamentary Records, you can clearly see me calling both members of the coalition I am in, and members of parties I am not in, to order.

But this is not this issue at hand. I gave a clear instruction to the house that they will return to the topic of debate. The Honourable Member then ignored that instruction. As a consequence, the Honourable Member was then asked to leave the chamber for the rest of the day. The Honourable Member ignored that instruction.

I will give the Honourable Member one last chance to withdraw from the Chamber, or I shall increase the severity of the punishment and call on Parliamentary security to take the Honourable Member away from this Chamber."

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:44 pm

The Sarian wrote:

"First of all, I must note that neither the Constitution or any law passed by this body requires me to be impartial when I am not acting in my role as Deputy Speaker. When I am in this role, I maintain absolute impartiality and if you care to look at Parliamentary Records, you can clearly see me calling both members of the coalition I am in, and members of parties I am not in, to order.

But this is not this issue at hand. I gave a clear instruction to the house that they will return to the topic of debate. The Honourable Member then ignored that instruction. As a consequence, the Honourable Member was then asked to leave the chamber for the rest of the day. The Honourable Member ignored that instruction.

I will give the Honourable Member one last chance to withdraw from the Chamber, or I shall increase the severity of the punishment and call on Parliamentary security to take the Honourable Member away from this Chamber."

"I will not withdraw my comments, I am leaving the Chamber. It is clear that you harbor biases against the opposition and the Shadow Home Secretary.

If the Speaker wishes to seem impartial, he should remove Sa Ri An from her office as Deputy Speaker."

Michel left.
Qui est-ce ?

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"First of all, I must note that neither the Constitution or any law passed by this body requires me to be impartial when I am not acting in my role as Deputy Speaker. When I am in this role, I maintain absolute impartiality and if you care to look at Parliamentary Records, you can clearly see me calling both members of the coalition I am in, and members of parties I am not in, to order.

"I will not withdraw my comments, I am leaving the Chamber. It is clear that you harbor biases against the opposition and the Shadow Home Secretary.

If the Speaker wishes to seem impartial, he should remove Sa Ri An from her office as Deputy Speaker."

Michel left.

"ORDER - although the member has left the Chamber, I feel I have no choice but to up his punishment.

The Member is suspended from the remainder of today's sitting, and the entirety of tomorrow's. I will be speaking to Mr Speaker to discuss this punishment further.

A reminder to Honourable Members, we will get back on track with the bill before this house."

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:50 pm

If I may, I would like to return to the topic of debate, trusting the honourable members remember what that is after the event that has unfolded. Those who question the length of the provision have to consider two things; we don't have all the money in the world to create a wonderous welfare system with a click of our fingers, and we must be offering an incentive to get back into the workplace as well. I personally believe the period of insurance could be longer, but I will support this bill because I want to ensure that ENIS runs properly, to help every Elizian in need. An amendment may be in order, but please support this bill, to help those less fortunate than ourselves.
Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Argentarino
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:52 pm

"Madame Deputy Speaker, I must protest! The Member left per your instructions. Just because he made a statement as he was leaving that you disagree with is not grounds for further suspension! I fought against these types of silencing tactics when I ran for office and fought against the ENC!"
Last edited by Argentarino on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Senator Sushila Fonseca

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Normandy and Picardy wrote:If I may, I would like to return to the topic of debate, trusting the honourable members remember what that is after the event that has unfolded. Those who question the length of the provision have to consider two things; we don't have all the money in the world to create a wonderous welfare system with a click of our fingers, and we must be offering an incentive to get back into the workplace as well. I personally believe the period of insurance could be longer, but I will support this bill because I want to ensure that ENIS runs properly, to help every Elizian in need. An amendment may be in order, but please support this bill, to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

I Agree with the Senator. The Federation of Elizia does not have an endless amount of income, therefore our Government shouldn't be spending so much at once. I believe that adding an amendment along the lines of mandating that recipients should conduct works towards their communities to remain eligible for a period of time is vital for the success of this bill.

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 pm

Argentarino wrote:"Madame Deputy Speaker, I must protest! The Member left per your instructions. Just because he made a statement as he was leaving that you disagree with is not grounds for further suspension! I fought against these types of silencing tactics when I ran for office and fought against the ENC!"

Hear Hear! The Chair must remind herself that we, in fact live in a democratic nation, not an ENC police state.

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives