NATION

PASSWORD

[NSG Senate] Senate Chamber: Do We Have Work?

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:30 am

Tumbra wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:"Then wouldn't my bill take precedence over the Criminal Code of the Federation of Elizia, as it does not appear that the Criminal Code is a government bill."

"Yes, it does, but even so the Rt. Hon Cornelius Sisivoung-van der Loon's Collective Bargaining and Trade Union Rights Act would come first. Calm yourself."

"So if the Criminal Code comes before neither of those two bills, why is it ahead of both? I must be misunderstanding something here, Mister Speaker."
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:
Tumbra wrote:
"Yes, it does, but even so the Rt. Hon Cornelius Sisivoung-van der Loon's Collective Bargaining and Trade Union Rights Act would come first. Calm yourself."

"So if the Criminal Code comes before neither of those two bills, why is it ahead of both? I must be misunderstanding something here, Mister Speaker."

"The order paper has been updated to reflect these changes. The Trade Unions Act comes first, before the Court Aediles Act, then the Criminal Code. Of course, this is barring any further bills being submitted by the government. It was my mistake - seeing that the Hon. John Chiu is a member of the Cabinet, I naturally assumed that the Criminal Code would be a government bill as well, but I was wrong."
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:06 am

"No comments on the tax bill, anyone?", the President inquired.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 am

Arkolon wrote:"No comments on the tax bill, anyone?", the President inquired.

"Why would the opposition care about petty things like the financial future of this nation, Mr Speaker? After all, their egos are much more important."
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 pm

The Sarian wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"No comments on the tax bill, anyone?", the President inquired.

"Why would the opposition care about petty things like the financial future of this nation, Mr Speaker? After all, their egos are much more important."

"Mr. Speaker, If we cared only about our ego and the party line, why did our opposition bipartisanly support the Amendment to the Central Bank (Payments System) Act and the National Revenue Service Establishment Act. Perhaps the member of the National Coalition can't see behind party politics, or can she not see over her grudges that she holds against... practically everyone."
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Nariterrr wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"Why would the opposition care about petty things like the financial future of this nation, Mr Speaker? After all, their egos are much more important."

"Mr. Speaker, If we cared only about our ego and the party line, why did our opposition bipartisanly support the Amendment to the Central Bank (Payments System) Act and the National Revenue Service Establishment Act. Perhaps the member of the National Coalition can't see behind party politics, or can she not see over her grudges that she holds against... practically everyone."

"Point proven, Mr Speaker."
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:16 pm

The Sarian wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:"Mr. Speaker, If we cared only about our ego and the party line, why did our opposition bipartisanly support the Amendment to the Central Bank (Payments System) Act and the National Revenue Service Establishment Act. Perhaps the member of the National Coalition can't see behind party politics, or can she not see over her grudges that she holds against... practically everyone."

"Point proven, Mr Speaker."

"Mr. Speaker, I think the Honorable Member has no idea what the phrase 'point proven' means. Our vote on financial bills were for the betterment of the nation. I fail to see how this proves any point that the Honorable Member has made. But I do have a question for the Government in regards to the tax revenue bill, Mr. Speaker. Why does the government propose such high taxation for those making $1,000-$2,000 per year?"
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Argentarino wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"Point proven, Mr Speaker."

"Mr. Speaker, I think the Honorable Member has no idea what the phrase 'point proven' means. Our vote on financial bills were for the betterment of the nation. I fail to see how this proves any point that the Honorable Member has made. But I do have a question for the Government in regards to the tax revenue bill, Mr. Speaker. Why does the government propose such high taxation for those making $1,000-$2,000 per year?"

Hear Hear.
President Emmanuel Carvallo
1st President of the Senate of Fernão (2017-2017)
Chief Whip of the Civic Union

Patricio Magrina
Nominee for Secretary of Health and Labour
Member of the Events Committee

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

Liberal Conservative Roman Catholic.
Member of the Liberal National Party of Queensland (LNP)
Supporter of the Coalition (Australia).

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Argentarino wrote:But I do have a question for the Government in regards to the tax revenue bill, Mr. Speaker. Why does the government propose such high taxation for those making $1,000-$2,000 per year?"

"Mr Speaker, I hope that the Hon Member from the Liberal Democrats realises that the income tax rates outlined in the Government Tax Revenue Act are marginal: an Elizian taxpayer making $2,000 a year would have a tax bill of under 14%, and not 27.5% as the Hon Member may be thinking; similarly, an Elizian taxpayer making $1,001 a year would pay 27.5¢ in yearly taxes (0.028%), and not $275, as the Hon Member may be thinking. These are low rates that hit the middle-income groups of Elizia, where the median wage is around $1,800. Lowering tax rates for this band may well prove popular, but the tax rates are already very low considering the group they apply to, and are also crucial in generating important revenue that would fund programmes for even poorer and even needier hard-working Elizian families."
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:10 pm

"The odd thing about this bill is our economy is worse than most of our neighbours so we need to attract investment and incentivise wealth creation yet this tax bill provides for higher rates than most of our neighbours and makes us doubly unattractive as a place in which to invent. First we must build an economy that can support the aims of the government before we try and come up with a Nordic type tax programme. I don't expect an income of $1800 leaves much room for luxuries even before it is taxed."
Slava Ukraini

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 pm

"Taxation is theft!"
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 pm

"Following a memorandum from the President, the Criminal Code will be considered a government bill."
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:"The odd thing about this bill is our economy is worse than most of our neighbours so we need to attract investment and incentivise wealth creation yet this tax bill provides for higher rates than most of our neighbours and makes us doubly unattractive as a place in which to invent. First we must build an economy that can support the aims of the government before we try and come up with a Nordic type tax programme. I don't expect an income of $1800 leaves much room for luxuries even before it is taxed."

"Mr Speaker, wealth that is generated by selling our country, the labour of our citizens, the lands of our forefathers to foreign, capitalist interests who can only care about milking the country dry is not wealth, it is nothing but a shame that this Government wants no part in. Elizia's investment will come from within as local capital investment builds this country up, and not by taking it apart and selling it to Western interests."
Rosa Luxemburg

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:29 am

"We now begin debate on the Criminal Code."

Order Paper

All times stated are tentatively 1830 UTC + 8 (Elizian Timezone) unless stated.

Sunday to Monday - Government Tax Revenue Act (Rt. Hon Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang)

Monday to Tuesday - Criminal Code (Rt. Hon John Chiu)

Tuesday to Wednesday - Federal Civil Service Act (Rt. Hon John Chiu)

Wednesday to Thursday - Oral Questions to the President

Thursday to Friday - Unemployment Insurance Clarification Act (Rt. Hon Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang)

Friday to Saturday - Voting on proposed bills

Saturday to Sunday - Voting on proposed bIlls

"Attached is bill for easy reference."

Criminal Code of the Federation of Elizia
| Author: The Hon. John Chiu MP, Attorney-General of Elizia (ChIP) |
| Sponsors: The Hons. Abraham Kamassi MP, Home Secretary (Maklohi Vai, Labour); Ujang Duong MP, Foreign Secretary (Merizoc, Path to Harmony); |
| Tjilik Beluluk, Environment Secretary (United Provinces of Atlantica, Path to Harmony); Sa Ri An (The Sarian, Chinese Interests Party); |
| Ahmed Corbor (Nariterrr, Social Liberal Party); Siva Jeyaratnam, Treasury Secretary (Electrum, Elizia First); Tijah bin Dian, Leader of the Opposition (Lykens, Social Liberal Party) |

An Act to establish a penal code for the Federation of Elizia; and for connected purposes.

Preamble

WHEREAS the rule of law is a necessary hallmark of any stable and democratic system of governance,

WHEREAS all citizens of Elizia deserve to live in a harmonious society free from the blight of crime and violence,

WHEREAS such despicable activities must be punished within the full extent of the law as permitted in a free and democratic society,

THE PARLIAMENT OF ELIZIA RESOLVES to enact the following act into law.

CHAPTER I - CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON

§1 - Homicide

1. Whoever directly and without legal right causes the death of another person with the intention of causing death or severe harm to one or more persons is guilty of murder in the second degree, a felony. An individual convicted of murder in the second degree shall be sentenced to no more than thirty (30) years' imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  2. Whoever commits the act of murder in the second degree (i) after engaging in deliberate planning or deliberation, (ii) while committing a Section 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 19, 26 or 27 offence, (iii) with a proscribed weapon, (iv) in a way that horrifies the human dignity or (v) to protect their family's honour, is guilty of murder in the first degree, a felony. An individual convicted of murder in the first degree shall be sentenced to no more than life imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  3. Whoever causes the death of another person (i) through a direct and deliberate action, or by operating a motor vehicle (ii) with a blood alcohol content over 0.05%, (iii) as part of an unsanctioned street race, (iv) twenty (20) kilometres per hour (km/h) above the posted speed limit, or (v) after failing to halt under the orders of a duly-sworn law enforcement officer, is guilty of voluntary manslaughter, a felony. An individual convicted of voluntary manslaughter shall be sentenced to no more than twenty (20) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever without legal right causes the death of another person through an act of serious or unjustifiable negligence or recklessness is guilty of involuntary manslaughter, a felony. An individual convicted of involuntary manslaughter shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  5. An individual accused of homicide shall not be convicted if it can be demonstrated to a reasonable threshold that the homicide was committed as a last resort in the defence of oneself or another person from imminent deadly harm and that reasonable attempts at de-escalation had been exhausted.

§2 - Assault

1. Whoever assails another person without their affirmative consent, or that of their legal guardian's for youth under fourteen (14) years of age, is guilty of assault, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of assault shall be sentenced to no more than six (6) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 80% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever assails another person (i) who is an official on the pay of, or otherwise in the service of, the federal government of Elizia while performing official duties, (ii) resulting in severe injury to one or more persons, (iii) with a bladed weapon, firearm or explosive weapon, or (iv) through the operation of a motor vehicle, is guilty of aggravated assault, a felony. An individual convicted of aggravated assault shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§3 - Public order offences

1. Whoever incites, encourages or participates in a public gathering of three (3) or more persons for a criminal purpose is guilty of violent assembly, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of violent assembly shall be sentenced to no more than six (6) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 100% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever (i) fails to follow a lawful police instruction to disperse or to engage in some other proactive action for the purpose of the maintenance of public order, or (ii) causes a disturbance in a public area that upsets peace and order, is guilty of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of disorderly conduct shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) weeks' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever employs severe criminal violence in an attempt to bring about political, social or cultural change is guilty of terrorism, a felony. An individual convicted of terrorism shall be sentenced to no more than twenty (20) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever threatens the use of severe criminal violence in an attempt to bring about political, social or cultural change is guilty of uttering terrorist threats, a felony. An individual convicted of terrorism shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and an indefinite ban on international travel and Internet communication.
  5. Whoever (i) leaves the Federation of Elizia to join a terrorist organisation as determined by the Foreign Ministry or equivalent, (ii) gives material support to individuals engaged in terrorism, or (iii) attempts to recruit Elizian nationals to a terrorist organisation, is guilty of terrorist propagandising, a felony. An individual convicted of terrorist propagandising shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment and an indefinite ban on international travel and Internet communication.

§4 - Sexual assault

1. Whoever engages in sexual contact with an individual without their affirmative consent is guilty of sexual assault, a felony. An individual convicted of sexual assault shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever commits the act of sexual assault (i) while uttering or demonstrating threats, (ii) while employing a weapon of any kind, (iii) resulting in severe physical injury, or (iv) threatens the life of the victim, is guilty of aggravated sexual assault, a felony. An individual convicted of aggravated sexual assault shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  3. Whoever (i) persistently or deliberately touches the sexual organs of another person without their affirmative consent, (ii) goads an unwilling individual into having sexual contact through threats or improper rewards, (iii) indecently exposes themselves in a coercive or intimidating manner, (iv) engages in sexual verbal harassment that creates discomfort, fear or anxiety in the target, (v) attempts to recruit another person into prostitution, (vi) employs the services of a prostitute or (vii) engages in harassing or intimidating behaviour of any sort that creates severe and present discomfort, fear or anxiety in the target, is guilty of sexual harassment, a misdemeanour on the first offence and a felony for repeat or severe offences. An individual convicted of misdemeanour sexual harassment shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income. An individual convicted of felony sexual harassment shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and a fine of US$2,000.
  4. Whoever (i) engages in sexual contact or touching with an individual under the age of fourteen (14), (ii) coerces, or attempts to coerce, the indecent exposure of an individual under the age of eighteen (18), (iii) displays pornographic and obscene materials to an individual under the age of fourteen (14), or (iv) records, photographs or distributes the indecent exposure of an individual under the age of eighteen (18) for the purpose of producing pornographic or explicit materials, is guilty of child molestation, a felony. An individual convicted of child molestation shall be sentenced to no more than twenty (20) years' imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  5. Whoever is in the possession of, or otherwise takes affirmative steps to acquire, indecent and explicit materials featuring persons under the age of eighteen (18) is guilty of possession of child pornography, a felony. An individual convicted of possession of child pornography shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.
  6. Whoever inflicts (i) physical violence for the purpose of intimidation or compliance - and threats thereof, (ii) severe psychological harm, (iii) sexual abuse - and threats thereof, or (iv) coerced labour in a form that is inconsistent with the values of a democratic society, is guilty of domestic abuse, a felony. An individual convicted of domestic abuse shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and a fine of US$2,000.
  7. Whoever transports a person without their informed and affirmative consent for the purposes of sexual exploitation is guilty of sex trafficking, a felony. An individual convicted of sex trafficking shall be sentenced to no more than life imprisonment.

§5 - Intimidation and harassment

1. Whoever threatens to cause unlawful bodily harm to another person or harm the lawful property thereof in a manner that would cause a reasonable bystander alarm is guilty of uttering threats, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of uttering threats shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever engages in repeated actions that cause another person to have a reasonable and present fear for their safety or comfort is guilty of harassment, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of harassment shall be sentenced to no more than six (6) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 100% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever brings baseless legal action against another individual for the purpose of silencing, harassing or threatening them is guilty of barratry, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of barratry shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) months' imprisonment and a $1,500 fine and shall be permanently prohibited from bringing legal action against any individual or organisation without the approval of the Attorney-General of Elizia.

§6 - Crimes against humanity

1. Whoever engages in actions proscribed by (i) Articles 6 and 7 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, (ii) the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, or (iii) the text and precedents of Principle VI, section c of the Nuremberg trials, is guilty of crimes against humanity, a felony. An individual convicted of crimes against humanity shall be sentenced to no more, and no less, than life imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  2. Whoever engages in actions proscribed by (i) Article 8 of the Rome Statute of the International Court, or (ii) the Geneva Conventions and all protocols thereof, is guilty of war crimes, a felony. An individual convicted of war crimes shall be sentenced to no more than life imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  3. Whoever engages in, or attempts, an unlawful seizure of an oceangoing ship, its compartment or its cargo is guilty of maritime piracy, a felony. An individual convicted of maritime piracy shall be sentenced to no more than thirty (30) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever unlawfully forces another individual to perform coerced labour in their service is guilty of slavery, a felony. An individual convicted of slavery shall be sentenced to no more than life imprisonment.

§7 - Endangerment

1. Whoever creates a real and present risk of severe bodily harm through an act of serious or unjustifiable negligence or recklessness is guilty of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of reckless endangerment shall be sentenced to no more than six (6) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 80% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever operates a place of employment (i) in violation of any applicable national health and safety legislation or (b) where conditions are so dangerous as to constitute reckless endangerment, is guilty of operating an unsafe enterprise, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of operating an unsafe enterprise shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 300% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever operates a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol level over 0.05% is guilty of driving while intoxicated, a felony. An individual convicted of driving while intoxicated shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§8 - Character assassination

1. Whoever defames the good name of an Elizian national in a demonstrably false and malicious manner is guilty of slander, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of slander shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) months' imprisonment and a $200 fine.
  2. Whoever (i) engages in public speech and writing for the purpose of inciting hatred against or dehumanising any identifiable racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic group, (ii) distributes such materials, or (iii) holds membership in an organisation advocating for the purpose of inciting hatred against or dehumanising any identifiable racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic group, is guilty of inciting hatred, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of inciting hatred shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.

§9 - Cruelties against hominids

1. Whoever (i) inflicts barbaric, cruel or inhumane afflictions upon another human being, (ii) uses individuals that have not given their affirmative consent as test subjects for potentially dangerous experiments, or (iii) deceives participants in an experiment of the rewards, implications or outcomes thereof, is guilty of human experimentation, a felony. An individual convicted of human experimentation shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and a $1,000 fine.
  2. Whoever engages in reproductive human cloning is guilty of human cloning, a felony. An individual convicted of human cloning shall be sentenced to no more than seven years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever (i) kills an orangutan for reason other than self-defence after demonstrating that all reasonable attempts at de-escalation had failed, (ii) engages in unlawful logging and clear-cutting within the range of an orangutan species, or (iii) confines an orangutan as a pet or in a zoo without federal charter, is guilty of great ape abuse, a felony. An individual convicted of great ape abuse shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.

§10 - Confinement

1. Whoever (i) unlawfully abducts another person without their informed consent by recourse to violence, threats or fraudulent misrepresentation, or (ii) abducts a youth subject to legal custody or juvenile justice proceedings, is guilty of kidnapping, a felony. An individual convicted of kidnapping shall be sentenced to no more than twenty (20) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever unlawfully confines another person against their consent in a manner that is inconsistent with the values of a democratic society is guilty of involuntary confinement, a felony. An individual convicted of involuntary confinement shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever unlawfully confines or restricts the movement of another person through violence or the threat thereof in order to compel a third party to comply with a demand or grievance is guilty of hostage-taking, a felony. An individual convicted of hostage-taking shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.

CHAPTER II - CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY

§11 - Theft and robbery

1. Whoever unlawfully takes, converts or appropriates the property of another person with the intent to deprive them of its full utility is guilty of theft, a misdemeanour when the stolen property is under the value of $1,000 and a felony otherwise. An individual convicted of misdemeanour theft shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a $1,000 fine. An individual convicted of felony theft shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever commits the act of theft through physical violence or the threat thereof is guilty of robbery, a felony. An individual convicted of robbery shall be sentenced to no more than seven (7) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever knowingly possesses property obtained through theft, robbery or other fraudulent or criminal means is guilty of harbouring stolen property, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of harbouring stolen property shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.

§12 - Trespassing

1. Whoever unlawfully, unjustifiably and intentionally enters a clearly-demarked area that constitutes (i) the residential property of another, (ii) a school or school yard during class hours, (iii) farmland, (iv) a private cemetary or tomb, (v) a religious shrine, chapel or other structure, (vi) an area where access is restricted to paying individuals, (vii) a construction site, or (viii) a segment of commercial or government property where access is restricted to employees and invited individuals, is guilty of trespassing, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of trespassing shall be sentenced to no more than three (3) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever unlawfully intrudes upon (i) the tarmac, hangars or control tower of an airport or aerodrome, (ii) a diplomatic mission possessing extraterritoriality, (iii) any federal or United Nations defence installation, (iv) the Parliament Building, Cabinet Hall or Presidential Residence of Elizia, (v) a rail marshalling yard, or (vi) a federal courthouse, is guilty of intrusion, a felony. An individual convicted of intrusion shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever unlawfully obtains clandestine access to an electronic device in the ownership of another individual or organisation is guilty of digital trespassing, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of digital trespassing shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever (i) creates or knowingly distributes computer malware, (ii) engages in the unlawful clandestine takedown of Internet sites or servers, (iii) impersonates a financial services provider or a government body on the Internet for fraudulent purposes, (iv) maliciously causes significant damage to the operations of an electronic device, or (v) engages in an act of digital trespassing against a federal government body, is guilty of computer hacking, a felony. An individual convicted of computer hacking shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.

§13 - Fraud and exploitation

1. Whoever defrauds another person of a tangible item of property or a service through deceptive practices is guilty of fraud, a misdemeanour when the stolen property is under the value of $2,000 and a felony otherwise. An individual convicted of misdemeanour fraud shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a $5,000 fine. An individual convicted of felony fraud shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) years' imprisonment and forfeiture of all personal assets.
  2. Whoever falsely and maliciously claims to hold the office of (i) aircraft pilot, (ii) representative of a corporation to whom one has no such relations, (iii) private security guard, (iv) solicitor or barrister, or (v) professional educator, is guilty of civil impersonation, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of civil impersonation shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever publishes in a media platform advertising under the colour of regular content without disclosure of sponsorship is guilty of deceptive advertising, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of deceptive advertising shall be sentenced to no more than three (3) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever manufactures any imitation consumer good with the intention to deceptively retail it as an existing trademarked product is guilty of consumer fraud, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of consumer fraud shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a $3,000 fine.
  5. Whoever manufactures an imitation medical drug with the intention to deceptively retail it as an existing trademarked product is guilty of pharmaceutical fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of computer hacking shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) years' imprisonment.
  6. Whoever knowingly retails any imitation good in a manner deceptive to consumers is guilty of retail fraud, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of consumer fraud shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 100% of monthly income.
  7. Whoever unlawfully takes, releases, publishes, discloses or otherwise comprises the integrity of a trade secret of an Elizian company is guilty of corporate espionage, a felony. An individual convicted of corporate espionage shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§14 - Extortion

1. Whoever engages in the act of uttering threats for the purpose of tangible gain in the present or future is guilty of extortion, a felony. An individual convicted of extortion shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever maliciously and unjustifiably increases the price of a good or service essential to quality of life in an attempt to profit from a disaster is guilty of price gouging, a felony. An individual convicted of price gouging shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever operates a for-profit loan service (i) outside of the Federal Reserve Banking System, (ii) employing unlawful methods of compelling repayment, (iii) maliciously preying upon gamblers and debtors, or (iv) with an annual rate of interest superior to 60%, is guilty of usury, a felony. An individual convicted of usury shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§15 - Indignity to public morals

1. Whoever intently destroys or damages property that is not their own is guilty of vandalism, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of vandalism shall be sentenced to no more than three (3) months' imprisonment and a $100 fine.
  2. Whoever sets fire to private or public property where the owner has granted no such permission is guilty of arson, a felony. An individual convicted of arson shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever exposes their genitals in a public setting other than a bath or adult-only beach is guilty of public exposure, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of public exposure shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) weeks' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 30% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever publishes materials in a public area that (i) causes great distress and offence to a reasonable person, (ii) depicts obcenities that would shock and alarm the reasonable viewer, or (iii) defames a religion, community or identifiable group, is guilty of obscene libel, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obscene libel shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.

§16 - Animal abuse

1. Whoever causes unnecessary harm, injury or suffering to a mammal through neglect, abuse or violence is guilty of misdemeanour animal abuse. An individual convicted of misdemeanour animal abuse shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever (i) facilitates, promotes, records, spectates or participates in an animal fighting event, (ii) destroys an animal in a cruel and inhumane manner, or (iii) inflicts suffering upon a canine or primate for experimentation, is guilty of felony animal abuse. An individual convicted of felony animal abuse shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever unlawfully kills an animal deemed protected by the Cabinet of Elizia is guilty of poaching, a felony. An individual convicted of poaching shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever imports, distributes, retails or knowingly purchases (i) elephant or rhinoceros ivory, (ii) products made from endangered species of sharks, or (iii) the furs of animals whose hunting is restricted under international regulations, is guilty of facilitating poaching, a felony. An individual convicted of fauna destruction shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  5. Whoever deliberately feeds wildlife unaccustomed to human presence is guilty of feeding wildlife, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of feeding wildlife shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) months' imprisonment and a $50 fine.

CHAPTER III - CRIMES AGAINST THE PEACE AND DIGNITY OF THE STATE

§17 - Narcotics

1. Whoever knowingly possesses a personal-use quantity of a proscribed drug is guilty of misdemeanour narcotics possession. An individual convicted of misdemeanour narcotics possession shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever knowingly possesses a large quantity of a proscribed drug is guilty of felony narcotics possession. An individual convicted of felony narcotics possession shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever distributes, retails or solicits a proscribed drug outside of official channels is guilty of narcotics retail, a felony. An individual convicted of narcotics retail shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever smuggles proscribed drugs into the Federation of Elizia is guilty of narcotics smuggling, a felony. An individual convicted of narcotics retail shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  5. Whoever knowingly and unlawfully participates in the manufacturing or production of a proscribed drug is guilty of narcotics production, a felony. An individual convicted of narcotics production shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  6. Whoever retails alcohol to individuals under the age of eighteen (18) is guilty of youth alcohol retail, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of youth alcohol retail shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  7. Whoever (i) retails or gives tobacco products to an individual under the age of eighteen (18), (ii) operates an automated concession device that retails cigarettes or other tobacco paraphernalia, (iii) retails individual cigarettes or cigarettes in improperly-packaged containers, or (iv) fails to demonstrate a serious attempt to hide tobacco from public retail display, is guilty of unlawful retail of tobacco paraphernalia, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of unlawful retail of tobacco paraphernalia shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  8. Whoever is the owner of a facility where a tobacco ban is present and fails to prevent occupants from smoking is guilty of failure to prevent public smoking, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of failure to prevent public smoking shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 150% of monthly income.

§18 - Subversion

1. Whoever (i) leads, participates in, solicits or plots an armed insurrection or attack against the democratic and constitutional government and institutions of Elizia, or (ii) conspires with foreign powers which are in a declared state of war with Elizia, is guilty of treason, a felony. An individual convicted of treason shall be sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. The authority to pardon a convicted traitor lies exclusively with the Parliament of Elizia, which may do so by a two-thirds vote.
  2. Whoever joins the federal civil service (i) for the purpose of obtaining access to classified information and state secrets, or (ii) while under the clandestine employment of a foreign power, is guilty of espionage, a felony. An individual convicted of espionage shall be sentenced to no more than twenty-five (25) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever unlawfully discloses, releases or publishes information in the possession of the federal government deemed sensitive or classified at the time of the disclosure is guilty of compromising state secrets, a felony. An individual convicted of compromising state secrets shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever is an alien and (i) misleads a border control officer as to the nature of their stay in the Federation of Elizia, (ii) obtains an Elizian visa upon false pretenses, or (iii) unlawfully enters the territory of Elizia, is guilty of immigration upon false pretenses, a summary offence. An individual convicted of immigration upon false pretenses shall be sentenced to immediate expulsion from Elizia.

§19 - Crimes against justice

1. Whoever (i) hinders or obstructs the legitimate work of an on-duty judge, indigenous arbitrator or municipal mediator, (ii) refuses to obey or implement a binding injunction, subpoena or judicial order from a court of law, (iii) discloses placed by the court under a publication ban or temporary seal, or (iv) misrepresents oneself before an official of the law, is guilty of obstruction of justice, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obstruction of justice shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) weeks' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 30% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever (i) acts in a disrespectful, undignified, obscene or rude manner to officials of the court during judicial proceedings, (ii) knowingly violates the rules of the court in an egregious or contemptuous fashion, or (iii) operates a recording or photographic device in a courtroom without the prior consent of the presiding judge, is guilty of contempt of court, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of contempt of court shall be sentenced to no more than a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever (i) threatens a plaintiff, defendant, witness, law enforcement officer, police auxiliary, indigenous arbitrator, municipal mediator, official of the court or the loved ones of the aforementioned persons, (ii) engages in physical violence or extortion against one of the persons enumerated in sub-section i, (iii) perjures oneself under oath or affirmation before a court of law, (iv) incites or encourages a person under oath or affirmation to commit perjury, (v) destroys, obfuscates or deliberately misrepresents evidence in a criminal investigation, or (vi) bribes, or attempts to bribe, a judicial official, is guilty of perverting the course of justice, a felony. An individual convicted of perverting the course of justice shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§20 - Assassination

1. Whoever engages in malicious actions resulting in the death, or intended to bring about the outcome of the death, of (i) the President of the Elizian Federation, (ii) the Vice-President of the Elizian Federation, (iii) the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Elizia, (iv) the Speaker of the Elizian Parliament, or (v) an agent of the United Nations mission, is guilty of assassination, a felony. An individual convicted of assassination shall be sentenced to no more than life imprisonment and the forfeiture of all personal assets.
  2. Whoever kills a duly-empowered law enforcement officer who is on duty and exercising legal powers is guilty of murder in the first degree, notwithstanding the previous definition.

§21 - Tax evasion

1. Whoever deceptively, fraudulently misleadingly or falsely completes compulsory tax filings for personal benefit is guilty of revenue deception, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of revenue deception shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine or forfeiture equivalent to 20% of owed taxes.
  2. Whoever fails to complete compulsory tax filings to an acceptable standard is guilty of failure to report taxes, a summary offence. An individual convicted of failure to report taxes shall be sentenced to the repayment of the owed taxes in addition to a 10% punitive surcharge.
  3. Whoever fails to pay all owed taxes to a duly-empowered government body by a preset deadline is guilty of failure to pay taxes, a summary offence. An individual convicted of failure to pay taxes shall be sentenced to the repayment of the owed taxes in addition to a 10% to 40% punitive surcharge.
  4. Whoever is convicted of failure to pay taxes or failure to report taxes and fails to pay the owed taxes and the punitive surcharge is guilty of tax fraud, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of tax fraud shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment, the repayment of all owed taxes and fines, and a fine or forfeiture equivalent to 50% of owed taxes.
  5. Whoever falsifies, hides or destroys corporate, financial or banking records of any kind in order to (i) mislead the revenue service, (ii) fraudulently reduce the quantity of taxes owed, or (iii) obstruct a criminal investigation, is guilty of revenue tampering, a felony. An individual convicted of revenue tampering shall be sentenced to no more than three (3) years' imprisonment and a $3,000 fine.

§22 - Obstruction of a government officer

1. Whoever maliciously prevents a federal civil servant from performing their legal responsibilities is guilty of obstruction of a state official, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obstruction of a state official shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  2. Whoever maliciously prevents a law enforcement officer or police auxiliary from performing their legal duties, by means including but not limited to (i) failing to cede right-of-way to a police vehicle with activated sirens, (ii) interfering with a police investigation or pursuit, (iii) assisting in the concealment of a fugitive, and (iv) placing frivolous emergency calls, is guilty of obstruction of the police, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obstruction of the police shall be sentenced to no more than sixteen (16) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 75% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever fails to comply with an order by the Home Secretary to evacuate from a location at imminent and present risk of disaster is guilty of obstruction of an evacuation, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obstruction of an evacuation shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever is in the employ of a government body in Elizia and fails to adequate perform their responsibilities due to malice, incompetence or gross negligence is guilty of dereliction of duty, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of obstruction of an evacuation shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.

§23 - Fraud against the state

1. Whoever (i) through deceptive or fraudulent means obtains a government procurement contract, (ii) deliberately obtains such a contract without the capabilities or means to bring it to a successful fulfillment, or (iii) conspires to subvert the fairness or integrity of the procurement bidding system, is guilty of procurement fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of procurement fraud shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and a $7,500 fine.
  2. Whoever enters a marriage with a person while remaining in a civil state of marriage with a second, different person is guilty of bigamy, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of bigamy shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and the annulment of the illicit marriage.
  3. Whoever unlawfully and maliciously reproduces or imitates the look and feel of the Elizian bulat, a government bond or any other instrument of legal tender is guilty of counterfeiting, a felony. An individual convicted of counterfeiting shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  4. Whoever is entrusted with tangible property by the federal government and maliciously deprives the government of it, in full or in part, is guilty of embezzlement, a felony. An individual convicted of embezzlement shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) years' imprisonment.
  5. Whoever offers an official of a government body, or a proxy thereof, tangible payment in exchange for an unfair use of official powers is guilty of bribery, a felony. An individual convicted of bribery shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  6. Whoever is in a position of power and unlawfully accepts tangible payment in any form in exchange for an unfair use of official powers is guilty of accepting bribes, a felony. An individual convicted of bribery shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment and a fine or forfeiture equivalent to three times the monetary value of the bribe.
  7. Whoever subverts the activities or integrity of the Federal Employment Commission or the Federal Employment Ethics Board is guilty of civil service fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of civil service fraud shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  8. Whoever interferes with the fairness or integrity of a government election is guilty of electoral fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of electoral fraud shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.

§24 - Misrepresentation

1. Whoever falsely and maliciously claims to hold the office of (i) law enforcement officer, (ii) military serviceperson, (iii) civil servant, (iv) cabinet minister, or (v) member of the Elizian Parliament, is guilty of government impersonation, a felony. An individual convicted of government impersonation shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever falsely claims to be the recipient of an award established by the Parliament of Elizia is guilty of subverting valour, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of subverting valour shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  3. Whoever is in full knowledge of the occurrence of a felony and fails to report the act to law enforcement is guilty of misprision, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of misprision shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever (i) is in possession of a false passport with the intention to deceive authorities, (ii) is involved in the counterfeiting of Elizian passports, (iii) applies fraudulent stamps or visas to a passport, (iv) unlawfully alters the contents and design of a passport, or (v) tampers with the security measures or biometric identification of a passport, is guilty of passport fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of passport fraud shall be sentenced to no more than seven (7) years' imprisonment.
  5. Whoever (i) is in possession of a false identification document with the intention to deceive authorities, (ii) is involved in the counterfeiting of an Elizian national identity card, driver's license or other official ID, (iii) unlawfully alters the contents and design of an Elizian identity document, or (iv) tampers with the security measures of an identity document, is guilty of identification fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of passport fraud shall be sentenced to no more than four (4) years' imprisonment.
  6. Whoever (i) creates a false deed or contract, or (ii) forges the signature or seal of a notary public, is guilty of deed fraud, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of deed fraud shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  7. Whoever (i) falsely claims to a government agent or accredited bank to be another person, (ii) accesses the financial accounts of another person without their affirmative consent, or (iii) uses the credit of another person without their affirmative consent, is guilty of identity fraud, a felony. An individual convicted of identity fraud shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.

§25 - Weapon possession

1. Whoever is in the possession of a proscribed weapon is guilty of ownership of a proscribed weapon, a felony. An individual convicted of ownership of a proscribed weapon shall be sentenced to no more than eight (8) years' imprisonment.
  2. Whoever deliberately modifies a firearm to meet the definition of a proscribed weapon is guilty of weapon tampering, a felony. An individual convicted of weapon tampering shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.
  3. Whoever possesses a firearm without a license to their name from the local police commissioner is guilty of unlicensed firearms possession, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of unlicensed firearms possession shall be sentenced to no more than two (2) years' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 200% of monthly income.
  4. Whoever retails a firearm to another person without reviewing their license is guilty of negligent retail of firearms, a felony. An individual convicted of negligent retail of firearms shall be sentenced to no more than seven (7) years' imprisonment.
  5. Whoever carries an unsecured firearm on their person or transports such a weapon is guilty of unsafe firearms transportation, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of unsafe firearms transportation shall be sentenced to no more than sixteen (16) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 50% of monthly income.
  6. Whoever stores an unsecured firearm in their domicile is guilty of unsafe firearms storage, a misdemeanour. An individual convicted of unsafe firearms storage shall be sentenced to no more than twelve (12) months' imprisonment and a fine equivalent to 30% of monthly income.
  7. Whoever unlawfully carries (i) a spring- or gravity-opened bladed weapon, (ii) a butterfly-type knife, (iii) a miniature dagger concealable within a fist, (iv) a bladed ring, (v) brass knuckles, or (vi) a telescoping knife, is guilty of possession of a bladed weapon, a felony. An individual convicted of possession of a bladed weapon shall be sentenced to no more than five (5) years' imprisonment.
  8. Whoever unlawfully imports firearms into the territory of the Elizian Federation is guilty of arms smuggling, a felony. An individual convicted of arms smuggling shall be sentenced to no more than fifteen (15) years' imprisonment.
  9. Whoever possesses any device with the intent of perpetuating a terrorist act is guilty of possession of a weapon of mass destruction, a felony. An individual convicted of possession of a weapon of mass destruction shall be sentenced to no more than ten (10) years' imprisonment.

CHAPTER IV - INCHOATE OFFENCES

§26 - Conspiracy

Whoever plots to commit a criminal offence and undertakes an overt act towards that purpose is guilty of conspiracy to commit x crime. An individual convicted of conspiracy shall be sentenced to no more than the maximum sentence of the offence in question. The failure to carry out the offence shall be considered by the court as a mitigating factor.

§27 - Attempt

Whoever attempts, but fails, to commit a criminal offence is guilty of attempt to commit x crime. An individual convicted of attempt shall be sentenced to no more than the maximum sentence of the offence in question.

§28 - Criminal enterprise

Whoever participates in a successful conspiracy to commit a crime is guilty of criminal enterprise in x crime, notwithstanding their direct involvement in the offence. An individual convicted of criminal enterprise shall be sentenced to no more than the maximum sentence of the offence in question.

CHAPTER V - ENTRY INTO FORCE

§29 - Reservations

1. The Elizian Federation claims universal jurisdiction over Sections 6 and 15 of this Act. Any individual may be prosecuted for infractions of the aforementioned sections wherever in the known universe they occurred.
  2. The Elizian Federation reserves the right to retroactively prosecute any occurrence of a Section 6 offence since 1 October 1946 (1946-10-01), the day of the conclusion of the Nuremberg trials, pursuant to the jus covens exemption under Article XXVI of the Declaration of the Rights of Elizian Citizens, Residents and Non-Resident Aliens.
  3. Only actual persons shall be charged under this Act. This Act shall not be held to apply to corporations, organisations, the state or any other fictitious legal person.
  4. The age of criminal responsibility is fourteen (14). Consequently, no person under the age of fourteen shall be tried under this Act. No person under the age of eighteen (18) shall be sentenced under this Act.
  5. The trial judge shall not levy a fine or forfeiture upon a convicted criminal that (i) cannot reasonably be paid, or (ii) would result in unacceptable living conditions for the criminal or their family. In lieu of a monetary fine, the court may impose up to sixty (60) hours of police-supervised community service.
  6. The Parliament of Elizia shall have the authority to pardon any individual convicted of a felony, other than murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree and treason, by a majority vote.

§30 - Definitions

1. "Personal assets" shall be defined as property, both tangible and intangible, exclusively held in the name of one person. It shall not include assets held by a corporation or other organisation or assets held in the name of several individuals, the individual's family or offspring, or held in escrow by a financial services purveyor.
  2. "Unlawfully" shall be defined as in a manner not explicitly permitted by a statute of the Elizian Parliament or other appropriate legislative authority.
  3. "Affirmative consent" shall be defined as the explicit consent given by an individual over the age of fourteen (14) in full control of their mental facilities and apprehensive of the results thereof.
  4. "Automatic weapon" shall be defined as any firearm where one pull of the trigger results in the discharge of two or more rounds of ammunition.
  5. "High capacity weapon" shall be defined as any firearm that is equipped to hold more than thirty (30) rounds of ammunition, or equivalent.
  6. "Explosive weapon" shall be defined as any device used to effect an explosive blast.
  7. "Concealed weapon" shall be defined as any firearm with a barrel length under forty-five (45) centimetres.
  8. "Inhumane weapon" shall be defined as any weapon chambered in ammunition (i) that expands or fragments upon contact, (ii) that is incendiary or explosive, or (iii) whose width exceeds ten (10) milimetres -- that is, ~0.40 calibre.
  9. "Proscribed weapon" shall be defined as all automatic, high capacity, explosive, concealed and inhumane weapons.
  10. "Unsecured firearm" shall be defined as any firearm not kept under lock and key in a case made for the purpose of storage and transport.
  11. "Proscribed drug" shall be defined by future legislation. In the absence of such legislation, any such references are legally void.
  12. "Trade secret" shall be defined by future legislation. In the absence of such legislation, any such references are legally void.
  13. "Alien" shall be defined as any person that does not hold the citizenship of Elizia.
  14. For parole purposes, life imprisonment shall be considered equivalent to a prison term of fifty (50) years.
  15. For the purposes of this Act, Elizian nationality expires upon death.
  16. For the purposes of this Act, "life" begins at the moment that an infant takes their first breath and "death" occurs at the irreversible cessation of all brain function. This Act makes no judgement upon the legality of abortion.

§31 - Amendments

1. Section 1 of the Obstruction of Justice Act is hereby repealed and struck from the records.
  2. Chapters I, II and III of the Deterring and Prohibiting Corruption Act are hereby repealed and struck from the records.
  3. Sections 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 of Chapter IV of the Deterring and Prohibiting Corruption Act are hereby repealed and struck from the records.
  4. Sections 4a to 4c of the Tobacco Use Reduction Act are hereby repealed and struck from the records.
  5. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency is hereby re-organised as a subsidiary agency of the Criminal Law Division of the Department of Justice.
  6. Article V of Part II of the Constitution shall be revised to remove all references to the Supreme Court of Elizia.
  7. Section 1, Article VII of Part IV of the Constitution, shall be revised to read: "Two types of crimes shall be provided for, misdemeanours and felonies. Any criminal offence with a maximum sentence superior to two years' imprisonment and an indeterminate monetary fine shall be considered a felony."

§32 - Entry into force

1. This act is valid wherever the jurisdictional arbitrage of Elizian courts apply, except when otherwise specified.
  2. This act shall come into effect upon the moment of its assent by the respective authority.
  3. Section 25 ("weapons possession") of this Act shall come into effect on 15 September 2016.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Quân Công Phạm sighs at the mountain of paper. "My god. So many fucking words."
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:46 am

"We now begin debate on the Unemployment Insurance Clarification Act."

Order Paper

All times stated are tentatively 1830 UTC + 8 (Elizian Timezone) unless stated.

Sunday to Monday - Government Tax Revenue Act (Rt. Hon Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang)

Monday to Tuesday - Criminal Code (Rt. Hon John Chiu)

Tuesday to Wednesday - Unemployment Insurance Clarification Act (Rt. Hon Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang)

Wednesday to Thursday - Oral Questions to the President

Thursday to Friday - Federal Civil Service Act (Rt. Hon John Chiu)

Friday to Saturday - Voting on proposed bills

Saturday to Sunday - Voting on proposed bIlls

"Attached is bill for easy reference."

Unemployment Insurance Clarification Act
Author: Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang
Sponsors: Government

An amendment to the Elizian Work and Healthcare Provisions Act.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 - Provisions
I. An additional Section will be added to the Elizian Work and Healthcare Provisions Act of 2016 will be included, entitled "Definitions", and will include the following.
  • 'insurable earnings' is defined as gross wages, salaries, tips, and other taxable employee pay, union strike benefits, and net earnings from self-employment.
  • 'social insurance benefit' is defined as a benefit to individuals who have made the necessary National Insurance contributions and are entitled. Social insurance benefits are understood to be exempt from taxation, unless otherwise stated, by definition.
  • 'average insurable earnings' shall be the average weekly earnings, up to the maximum insurable earnings threshold, during each week that there were positive insurable earnings above nil.

II. Section 3 of the Elizian Work and Healthcare Provisions Act of 2016 is hereby struck and replaced with the following.
    1. In the event an employee is made redundant, or is otherwise made involuntarily unemployed; for example, by resigning from a job because of sexual assault, or being a whistleblower, the employee may be entitled to unemployment benefit.
    2. Unemployment benefit, a social insurance benefit, may be paid for a minimum of 9 weeks, and a maximum of 156 weeks. For workers over 55, it may be paid for a maximum of 208 weeks. The employee must be available for actively searching for full-time work in order to continue claiming the benefit.
    3. The unemployment benefit shall pay 80% of average insurable earnings, up to the maximum insurable earnings threshold.
    4. The employee must have at least 9 weeks of insurable earnings in the preceding 104 weeks to be entitled to the minimum length of unemployment benefit. Entitlement shall be on a one-week-worked, one-week-of-benefit basis.
    5. The funds raised by the Elizian National Insurance Scheme (ENIS) in Section 1 of this Act will prioritise the funding of the unemployment benefit outlined in this very section; all other provisions of this Act will be funded either by leftover funds from the National Insurance contributions set in Section 1, Article 3 of this Act or separate funds set aside for the provision of healthcare by a Government Budget.

Lykens
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 am

"Bunch of dirty bureaucratic cunts amending all this stuff and not writing good bills in the first place for fucks sake and christ almighty."

"Mister Speaker, I speak for most of my colleagues on the opposition benches when I say that a cosmetic amendment such as this deserves no opposition."

Tijah sat down.
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 am

As the author of the original bill, I must say I have no opposition to this bill, and it does address a number of issues I had with the bill myself when I looked at it after the fact. I will support this bill, and I urge everyone else to do the same. Although I have an issue with the maximum time for the unemployment provision, that is a matter than can be clarified by a future amendment or changed before the bill is brought to vote, and I do not believe we should impede this bill for that reason.
Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Davincia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Obstruct

Postby Davincia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:19 am

"The maximum time for unemployment benefits is outright preposterous! We should never give consideration to a bill so reckless."
For: Capitalism, Conservatism, Religion (any), Israel, Capital Punishment, Democracy
Neutral: LBGT Rights, Abortion, Secularism, Libertarianism, Monarchism
Against: Institutionalized Atheism, Communism, Palestine, Fascism, Recreational Drugs

RIP Haruo Nakajima (1929-2017), Yoshio Tsuchiya (1927-2017)

Arachaea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachaea » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:19 am

"I see no logical reason for anyone to oppose this bill." Thu Tran states.
The Principality of Arachaea

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am

Lykens wrote:"Mister Speaker, I speak for most of my colleagues on the opposition benches when I say that a cosmetic amendment such as this deserves no opposition."
Normandy and Picardy wrote:As the author of the original bill, I must say I have no opposition to this bill, and it does address a number of issues I had with the bill myself when I looked at it after the fact. I will support this bill, and I urge everyone else to do the same.
Arachaea wrote:"I see no logical reason for anyone to oppose this bill." Thu Tran states.

Davincia wrote:"The maximum time for unemployment benefits is outright preposterous! We should never give consideration to a bill so reckless."

"Would the Honourable Gentlemen of the Opposition benches wish to reply to the comments of their colleague?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:40 pm

"Point of order Mr. Speaker, you told this chamber that the Court Aediles Act came before the Criminal Code, yet we have debated the Criminal Code, and not the Court Aediles Act, Mr. Speaker, are you sure that you are able to stand as Speaker as you have committed such errors a number of times."

Tumbra wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:"So if the Criminal Code comes before neither of those two bills, why is it ahead of both? I must be misunderstanding something here, Mister Speaker."

"The order paper has been updated to reflect these changes. The Trade Unions Act comes first, before the Court Aediles Act, then the Criminal Code. Of course, this is barring any further bills being submitted by the government. It was my mistake - seeing that the Hon. John Chiu is a member of the Cabinet, I naturally assumed that the Criminal Code would be a government bill as well, but I was wrong."
Qui est-ce ?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:44 pm

"The Criminal Code was determined a government bill shortly after the Speaker made those comments; since the Criminal Code is now a government bill, it has precedence over other bills and thus is to be debated before non-government bills. The Speaker is doing his best to act quickly in such a dynamic environment and I believe I speak for the majority of this House in saying that no one appreciates callings into question of such an esteemed, hard-working individual as the Speaker."
Rosa Luxemburg

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Arkolon wrote:"The Criminal Code was determined a government bill shortly after the Speaker made those comments; since the Criminal Code is now a government bill, it has precedence over other bills and thus is to be debated before non-government bills. The Speaker is doing his best to act quickly in such a dynamic environment and I believe I speak for the majority of this House in saying that no one appreciates callings into question of such an esteemed, hard-working individual as the Speaker."

"Is this a matter of public record, Mr. President?"
Qui est-ce ?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:49 pm

Skyviolia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:"The Criminal Code was determined a government bill shortly after the Speaker made those comments; since the Criminal Code is now a government bill, it has precedence over other bills and thus is to be debated before non-government bills. The Speaker is doing his best to act quickly in such a dynamic environment and I believe I speak for the majority of this House in saying that no one appreciates callings into question of such an esteemed, hard-working individual as the Speaker."

"Is this a matter of public record, Mr. President?"

"Mr Speaker, would you want to confirm to the Hon Gentleman that the Criminal Code is a government bill, and how you were made aware of this fact by myself and the Honourable John Chiu?"
Rosa Luxemburg

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives