NATION

PASSWORD

[NSG Senate] Senate Chamber: Do We Have Work?

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:57 am

"Point of order, Mr. Speaker, the Constitution requires the Confidence Resolution take precedence over all other business."
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Arachaea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachaea » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:57 am

"Nay."
The Principality of Arachaea

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 am

Aye
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:12 am

Nay
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 am

"Nay to the current motion under consideration.

I also believe the makers of motions interrupting a vote in future should be removed from the chamber until such time as they can stop being disruptive. Once a vote has started nothing should interrupt it and standing orders should reflect this."
Slava Ukraini

Britanno 3
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:15 am

Nay
NSGS: Senator Helen Blackley (Independent)
Pro: UK Labour Party, US Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Clement Atlee, Social Democracy, Internationalism, European Union
Anti: UK Conservative Party, US Republicans, Jeremy Corbyn, Donald Trump, Margaret Thatcher, Nationalism

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am

Aye
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:33 am

Nay

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Nay
Qui est-ce ?

Tectonix
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Nay.
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36
Senator Giovanni Galatis of the DP
Member of the Democratic Party of Galatea - For the many, not the few

Red Party
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Party » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Abstain.
does smoking kill? idk

Takhshiyt
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Takhshiyt » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Abstain
lel

1% chance of winning eh?

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:42 pm

"All votes below those of the Hon. Ujang Duong are not counted due to the vote ending at 12.35 am."

"With 4 votes for, 10 against and 1 abstention, this motion fails and debating resumes."
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Takhshiyt
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Takhshiyt » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Senator Sandeep looks up at the clock. "I should be more aware next time," he mumbled to himself.
lel

1% chance of winning eh?

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Tumbra wrote:"All votes below those of the Hon. Ujang Duong are not counted due to the vote ending at 12.35 am."

"With 4 votes for, 10 against and 1 abstention, this motion fails and debating resumes."

"Mr. Speaker, point of order, the Constitution requires that the Confidence Resolution take precedence over all other business, per Part II, Article VIII of the Elizian Constitution."
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Argentarino wrote:
Tumbra wrote:"All votes below those of the Hon. Ujang Duong are not counted due to the vote ending at 12.35 am."

"Mr. Speaker, point of order, the Constitution requires that the Confidence Resolution take precedence over all other business, per Part II, Article VIII of the Elizian Constitution."

Here Here
President Emmanuel Carvallo
1st President of the Senate of Fernão (2017-2017)
Chief Whip of the Civic Union

Patricio Magrina
Nominee for Secretary of Health and Labour
Member of the Events Committee

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

Liberal Conservative Roman Catholic.
Member of the Liberal National Party of Queensland (LNP)
Supporter of the Coalition (Australia).

Coconut Isle
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Coconut Isle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 pm

"Point of order, constitutional amendments take precedence over the confidence motion, as the Deputy Speakwr has informed me"

Lykens
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:26 pm

"Mister Speaker, allow me to rise in the staunchest opposition to this bill.

It is shortsighted and will cause more harm than what it views as harmful. Yes, there were unintended consequences passed in the recent constitutional amendment, but several extremely important parts such as the election of the speaker, powers of the speaker, and disciplinary procedures that are extremely important to regulate the observance of decorum within the august body. I will support an amended version, but as presented this bill will cause much more confusion and chaos than its supporters think.

This will simply gut the previous amendment, and not restore the constitution to how it stood before, and will prevent us from voting at all. If this bill is no amended to fix such issues, I implore my honorable colleagues on both sides of this house to vote down this bill."
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Lykens wrote:"Mister Speaker, allow me to rise in the staunchest opposition to this bill.

It is shortsighted and will cause more harm than what it views as harmful. Yes, there were unintended consequences passed in the recent constitutional amendment, but several extremely important parts such as the election of the speaker, powers of the speaker, and disciplinary procedures that are extremely important to regulate the observance of decorum within the august body. I will support an amended version, but as presented this bill will cause much more confusion and chaos than its supporters think.

This will simply gut the previous amendment, and not restore the constitution to how it stood before, and will prevent us from voting at all. If this bill is no amended to fix such issues, I implore my honorable colleagues on both sides of this house to vote down this bill."

"Mr Speaker, how does a bill whose one and only provision is to return the Constitution to how it was before not return the Constitution to how it was before?

Mr Speaker, this bill is designed to fix the Chamber to its previous state and only that. That way we have a Chamber that flows and is convenient and usable for everyone - if the Hon Gentleman wants to write a new Constitutional Amendment, I'd recommend that he do so in the comfort of a Chamber that works, like he did last time, and not in the environment he finds himself in today."
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Argentarino wrote:

"Point of Information, Mr Speaker. Confidence motions may only be tabled if there is no other business pending - 'A resolution of no confidence... may be tabled for twenty four hours of debate ... provided no other business is pending.'

As there are plenty of bills in the depository, I think it is clear that this motion may not be tabled."
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:58 am

The Sarian wrote:
Argentarino wrote:"Mr. Speaker, point of order, the Constitution requires that the Confidence Resolution take precedence over all other business, per Part II, Article VIII of the Elizian Constitution."

"Point of Information, Mr Speaker. Confidence motions may only be tabled if there is no other business pending - 'A resolution of no confidence... may be tabled for twenty four hours of debate ... provided no other business is pending.'

As there are plenty of bills in the depository, I think it is clear that this motion may not be tabled."

OOC: So as long as there are bills in the queue, the government can't be challenged by a confidence motion? How democratic.
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:04 am

The Sarian wrote:
Argentarino wrote:"Mr. Speaker, point of order, the Constitution requires that the Confidence Resolution take precedence over all other business, per Part II, Article VIII of the Elizian Constitution."

''Point of Information, Mr. Speaker. The Constitution's (Chi said whilst holding a pocket version) mention of "Business Pending" refers to business within the chamber, with the ParliPro Amendment making that Confidence votes can be tabled by anyone, when there is NO DEBATE OR VOTING OCCURRING.''

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:14 am

"I rise on a question of personal privilege, Mr. Speaker. I would like to go to the bathroom."
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:39 am

Freyhill wrote:
The Sarian wrote:"Point of Information, Mr Speaker. Confidence motions may only be tabled if there is no other business pending - 'A resolution of no confidence... may be tabled for twenty four hours of debate ... provided no other business is pending.'

''Point of Information, Mr. Speaker. The Constitution's (Chi said whilst holding a pocket version) mention of "Business Pending" refers to business within the chamber, with the ParliPro Amendment making that Confidence votes can be tabled by anyone, when there is NO DEBATE OR VOTING OCCURRING.''

"We are currently debating a constitutional amendment, if the Senator would stop proposing no-confidence every five seconds, the honourable senator might have realised that."
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

FreYhill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby FreYhill » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:50 am

Electrum wrote:
Freyhill wrote:

"We are currently debating a constitutional amendment, if the Senator would stop proposing no-confidence every five seconds, the honourable senator might have realised that."

Point of Information, Mr. Speaker. I did not propose a no-confidence motion, the leader of the Elizian Communist Party did. Furthermore, Mr. Speaker - I withdrew my seconding in the chamber as I heard that a Confidence motion is going to be occurring later this week.

Patricio Magrina

Political Compass:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives