NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate General Discussion Thread (Former Lobby)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:10 pm

I think it should be renamed NS Senate. So I agree with NB.

Shows it's inclusive for all, it's not about shedding the senate's roots but rather opening up. I do think having General in the name could have put some people that don't like general off. We want to encourage everyone to join so linking it to any particular area of NS does not to me help that. I'm not that bothered about people from General joining, think what the senate was like to start? But over time we learned and it became a nice community in general (Pardon the pun). Anybody that joins and sticks around will go through this same learning process and become a better player. The only thing I can't abide is GM wankery.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:10 pm

The Licentian Isles wrote:Tentatively saying I'd be interested in getting back involved in this if it rebooted. Studying A Level Politics has made me want to start running a country again :P

Licen! Glad to see you back here.

Also, a general announcement: the new thread should be up within a week; it's coming along nicely. I think we're going to opt for the OP to have less content than we originally thought, so it should be easier to get done soon. I'll keep you posted!

EDIT: One of the first things we could vote on is the name, so keep debating it!
Last edited by Maklohi Vai on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:
The Licentian Isles wrote:Tentatively saying I'd be interested in getting back involved in this if it rebooted. Studying A Level Politics has made me want to start running a country again :P

EDIT: One of the first things we could vote on is the name, so keep debating it!

Shouldn't we consider what type of forum it will be before we opt for a name?
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:30 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:EDIT: One of the first things we could vote on is the name, so keep debating it!

Shouldn't we consider what type of forum it will be before we opt for a name?

One of the first

Yes.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Zombie Emergency Command Center *nods*
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Ainin wrote:Zombie Emergency Command Center *nods*

Too bad we didn't reboot before the zombies, or else we could of roleplayed out a zombie invasion of the nation.

Non canon, of course.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:38 pm

One thing I wish to bring up is a rotation of admins every so often, perhaps once every three to six months. One of the major problems is that people in Baltonia did not agree with the admins decisions, which caused people to leave.

Perhaps a 75% vote to replace an admin if one is perceived to be unpopular? Ditto, that's something to think about.

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:42 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:One thing I wish to bring up is a rotation of admins every so often, perhaps once every three to six months. One of the major problems is that people in Baltonia did not agree with the admins decisions, which caused people to leave.

Perhaps a 75% vote to replace an admin if one is perceived to be unpopular? Ditto, that's something to think about.

The problem I had was not with the admins, who they were. It was the policy of greater admin control and the taking of decisions on issues that we as a group had not given them that power as it were coupled with the un-elected nature of the job. It was a sort of self appointment of power.

Actually I think that is a very important thing for any reboot. We should decide what sort of things an admin can do. Personally for me their role and what they did in Aurentina was perfect. Baltonia was too much.

If we have elected admins there is an argument for more power but if they stay un-elected and appointed by themselves when a new one is needed then they should have minimal power.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:45 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:One thing I wish to bring up is a rotation of admins every so often, perhaps once every three to six months. One of the major problems is that people in Baltonia did not agree with the admins decisions, which caused people to leave.

The problem I had was not with the admins, who they were. It was the policy of greater admin control and the taking of decisions on issues that we as a group had not given then that power as it were. It was a sort of self appointment of power.

Actually I think that is a very important thing for any reboot. We should decide what sort of things an admin can do. Personally for me their role and what they did in Aurentina was perfect. Baltonia was too much.

The issue with administering Baltonia was down to the enforcement of realism. We first thought we wanted enforced realism in the RP, and so the admins acted accordingly, but it became apparent that trying to do that just was not a good idea, and so there was backlash against the admins. I don't think it will be an issue again, as it's fairly simple what we need to do to combat it: don't restrict the RP based on realism except in cases of godmod.
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:
The problem I had was not with the admins, who they were. It was the policy of greater admin control and the taking of decisions on issues that we as a group had not given then that power as it were. It was a sort of self appointment of power.

The issue with administering Baltonia was down to the enforcement of realism. We first thought we wanted enforced realism in the RP, and so the admins acted accordingly, but it became apparent that trying to do that just was not a good idea, and so there was backlash against the admins. I don't think it will be an issue again, as it's fairly simple what we need to do to combat it: don't restrict the RP based on realism except in cases of godmod.

It depends what "realism" entails. Obviously we aren't going to allow people to roleplay an alien invasion. Of course, I am guilty of using unrealistic elements such as superheroes (anyone remember Thor, Deadpool, and the gang?) But that was fighting godmod with godmod.

I believe we should plan ahead with commonly accepted canon after the nation name, location, and history is decided, and shoot the ignore canon on anything that is way out of line with it. Roleplaying an Islamic fundamentalist group would be -okay- (if we choose Vestmark, I definitely have that in store for us.) Roleplaying a business tycoon that controls have the profits of the nation isn't
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:

Which comes down to the nub of the issue. There was never any vote on the subject, it was something some wanted and some did not and you just took the decision to follow it. Rather like with several other things which after getting a vote on it the player base voted against the original admin decision. That's what I mean, either we elect the admins for say 3-6 month terms with the ability of a recall if they go bat shit and they have the power to make executive decisions. Or if they stay un-elected then they only enforce stuff IC that they have been given the power to or with issues of GMing, OOC abuse and things like that. And there are more votes as a player base when the opinion of the players is not overwhelming for one thing.
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:55 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:The issue with administering Baltonia was down to the enforcement of realism. We first thought we wanted enforced realism in the RP, and so the admins acted accordingly, but it became apparent that trying to do that just was not a good idea, and so there was backlash against the admins. I don't think it will be an issue again, as it's fairly simple what we need to do to combat it: don't restrict the RP based on realism except in cases of godmod.

It depends what "realism" entails. Obviously we aren't going to allow people to roleplay an alien invasion. Of course, I am guilty of using unrealistic elements such as superheroes (anyone remember Thor, Deadpool, and the gang?) But that was fighting godmod with godmod.

I believe we should plan ahead with commonly accepted canon after the nation name, location, and history is decided, and shoot the ignore canon on anything that is way out of line with it. Roleplaying an Islamic fundamentalist group would be -okay- (if we choose Vestmark, I definitely have that in store for us.) Roleplaying a business tycoon that controls have the profits of the nation isn't

But my $250bn !!!

And my Helicopter landing in police stations.!!

And my nuclear proof coastal mansion/fortress.!!
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Maklohi Vai wrote:The issue with administering Baltonia was down to the enforcement of realism. We first thought we wanted enforced realism in the RP, and so the admins acted accordingly, but it became apparent that trying to do that just was not a good idea, and so there was backlash against the admins. I don't think it will be an issue again, as it's fairly simple what we need to do to combat it: don't restrict the RP based on realism except in cases of godmod.

I think I'm partly to blame considering that I was a huge dick about realism (and I'm still probably be that way)
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 pm

But my $250bn !!!

No pesos. Only foxes.

(Which reminds me to consider making a thread of Nationstates senate tropes and memes)

Yes, I am back(ish)

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Intermountain States wrote:

I think I'm partly to blame considering that I was a huge dick about realism (and I'm still probably be that way)

Nah. There was a general call for realism after the Mafia and Drago basically destroyed the limits and every time a large ass fight broke out. It's a fair reaction.

When picking out the nation, we should keep in mind that a more "Western" nation would probably have less random violence (however, as Ferguson proves it isn't a guarantee). I would be up for another Eastern European nation if it was better and more realistically developed than Baltonia was. On the other hand, I can respect some people who want "out" of Europe all together.

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:12 pm

But my $250bn !!!

No pesos. Only foxes.

(Which reminds me to consider making a thread of Nationstates senate tropes and memes)

That is a good name for a lobby!
Slava Ukraini

New Zepuha
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zepuha » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:13 pm

No pesos. Only foxes.

That is a good name for a lobby!

No Mr. Dragomere, I expect you to resign.

Don't forget to refill your cyanide sprinklers.
| Mallorea and Riva should resign | Sic Semper Tyrannis |
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1372 ($337 with sales)
  • Games owned: 106
  • Games not played: 34 (32%)
  • Hours on record: 2,471h

Likes: Libertarians, Law Enforcement, NATO, Shinzo Abe, Taiwan, Angele Merkel, Ron Paul, Israel, Bernie Sanders
Dislikes: Russia, Palestine, Socialism, 'Feminism', Obama, Mitch Daniels, DHS, Mike Pence, UN

[13:31] <Koyro> I want to be cremated, my ashes put into a howitzer shell and fired at the White House.

MellowCello
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby MellowCello » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm

So I went inactive for a year or so, but I thought it might be nice to start anew. Venaleria here.
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Will this be rebooted? I can help.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:35 am

MellowCello wrote:So I went inactive for a year or so, but I thought it might be nice to start anew. Venaleria here.

Oh my god, you're back! :hug:
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:08 am

MellowCello wrote:So I went inactive for a year or so, but I thought it might be nice to start anew. Venaleria here.

Woah, nice to see you again!

Which comes down to the nub of the issue. There was never any vote on the subject, it was something some wanted and some did not and you just took the decision to follow it. Rather like with several other things which after getting a vote on it the player base voted against the original admin decision. That's what I mean, either we elect the admins for say 3-6 month terms with the ability of a recall if they go bat shit and they have the power to make executive decisions. Or if they stay un-elected then they only enforce stuff IC that they have been given the power to or with issues of GMing, OOC abuse and things like that. And there are more votes as a player base when the opinion of the players is not overwhelming for one thing.

What other things, if I may ask? And with Baltonia, the reason we went ahead with enforcement is because we didn't hear a lot of protest from the other side before we started. I put out a call for people to bring up points, to state their view, but very few responded and none very forcefully against the measure. Of course once we got into it, it became clear there was more opposition, but it was not foreseeable when we started Baltonia.

As for the election and executive power vs. un-elected and designated power, I think it's important to note that Ainin and I are the only admins who've stayed in the position for more than 6 months (Wolfmanne might have approached it, actually). It's not an easy job, and most people don't want to be in it for too long. How about a counter-proposal of sorts: I nominate an admin and the senate votes on the nomination? Now, I'm not actually if that's what I want for the RP going forward, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:29 am

Maklohi Vai wrote:

Woah, nice to see you again!

What other things, if I may ask? And with Baltonia, the reason we went ahead with enforcement is because we didn't hear a lot of protest from the other side before we started. I put out a call for people to bring up points, to state their view, but very few responded and none very forcefully against the measure. Of course once we got into it, it became clear there was more opposition, but it was not foreseeable when we started Baltonia.

As for the election and executive power vs. un-elected and designated power, I think it's important to note that Ainin and I are the only admins who've stayed in the position for more than 6 months (Wolfmanne might have approached it, actually). It's not an easy job, and most people don't want to be in it for too long. How about a counter-proposal of sorts: I nominate an admin and the senate votes on the nomination? Now, I'm not actually if that's what I want for the RP going forward, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

For example the date for the start of Baltonia. I believe there was first a vote among admins that set up 1989 or around then as a start date. I among others pushed for a vote and the vote gave the 2014 start date.

My ideal choice would be a small amount of designated power that is granted expressly by the community. In that situation i'm fine with admins not being elected or your suggestion of the community voting on a nomination. If there is to be some kind of system I would prefer it to be a recall system. There is no vote on appointment but one can happen if people lose confidence in an admin. Say a petition with 10 seconds for the removal of an admin would instigate a vote and the admin needs the support of 2/3rds of the vote to stay an admin.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:49 am

Intermountain States wrote:

As was I. But there's got to be a middle ground between shit blowing up very damn day and a completely scripted storyline.

I trust the admin team to find that balance and believe that the admin power structure we had in Aurentina was good. I think we should keep it like that (provided that it's still led by MV), but admins should generally try to solicit more feedback when it comes to making the big RP decisions.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

New Zepuha
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zepuha » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 am

New Bierstaat wrote:
Intermountain States wrote:I think I'm partly to blame considering that I was a huge dick about realism (and I'm still probably be that way)

As was I. But there's got to be a middle ground between shit blowing up very damn day and a completely scripted storyline.

I trust the admin team to find that balance and believe that the admin power structure we had in Aurentina was good. I think we should keep it like that (provided that it's still led by MV), but admins should generally try to solicit more feedback when it comes to making the big RP decisions.

The middle ground would require us to be more involved on determining what is the furthest limit we can push things. I think the issue we had was that too many people wanted that blowing up stuff rather than the peaceful discourse of everyday life. It would have been nice for the police to have been called to something other than a mafia with a friggin private army tearing up some random pub.

There also needs to be an understanding between the Generalites and II players in the senate. We can have RP and the legislation exist at the same time, but limits have to be solidly decided.
| Mallorea and Riva should resign | Sic Semper Tyrannis |
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1372 ($337 with sales)
  • Games owned: 106
  • Games not played: 34 (32%)
  • Hours on record: 2,471h

Likes: Libertarians, Law Enforcement, NATO, Shinzo Abe, Taiwan, Angele Merkel, Ron Paul, Israel, Bernie Sanders
Dislikes: Russia, Palestine, Socialism, 'Feminism', Obama, Mitch Daniels, DHS, Mike Pence, UN

[13:31] <Koyro> I want to be cremated, my ashes put into a howitzer shell and fired at the White House.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:47 am

New Zepuha wrote:
New Bierstaat wrote:As was I. But there's got to be a middle ground between shit blowing up very damn day and a completely scripted storyline.

The middle ground would require us to be more involved on determining what is the furthest limit we can push things. I think the issue we had was that too many people wanted that blowing up stuff rather than the peaceful discourse of everyday life. It would have been nice for the police to have been called to something other than a mafia with a friggin private army tearing up some random pub.

There also needs to be an understanding between the Generalites and II players in the senate. We can have RP and the legislation exist at the same time, but limits have to be solidly decided.

It was not just the Mafia, there was also the fact that 95% of protests and gatherings ended up in riots/street fighting and on some occasions the military fighting.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives