NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate] - Version 4

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:02 pm

From this point on senators that make motions or second a previous one that are/is considered to be silly by either the senate president or myself will be asked to take it to the lobby.
Slava Ukraini

Kamchastkia
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:From this point on senators that make motions or second a previous one that are/is considered to be silly by either the senate president or myself will be asked to take it to the lobby.

I motion that the PPT be removed from his office for inhibitin the democratic process of or nation.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:From this point on senators that make motions or second a previous one that are/is considered to be silly by either the senate president or myself will be asked to take it to the lobby.

I motion that the PPT be removed from his office for inhibitin the democratic process of or nation.

Please go to the lobby if you wish to make such silly motions.
Slava Ukraini

Dragomere
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomere » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:

I second that motion!
Senator Draco Dragomere of the NSG Senate
DEFCON 1=Total War
DEFCON 2=Conflict
DEFCON 3=Peace Time
CURRENT LEVEL=DEFCON 2
The Great Dragomerian War
War on Dragomere- MT
NONE CURRENTLY

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Dragomere wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:I motion that the PPT be removed from his office for inhibitin the democratic process of or nation.

I second that motion!

*admin hat on*
Please go to the lobby, it's been bordering on spam for the past two pages.
Last edited by Geilinor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Dragomere wrote:I second that motion!

*admin hat on*
Please go to the lobby.

*paper bag

We're out of hats.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:09 pm

So bringing it back round to debate, let's try and stay on track now. There are just about 20 hours of debate left.
Slava Ukraini

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Dragomere wrote:I second that motion!

*admin hat on*

No, we can make motions.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:*admin hat on*

No, we can make motions.

There's a silly motion in every post on the previous page. We're currently debating a section of bills.
Last edited by Geilinor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Ainin wrote:
Geilinor wrote:*admin hat on*
Please go to the lobby.

*paper bag

We're out of hats.

I thought you did a deal with Schmidt fluffy hat company or whatever it's called?
Slava Ukraini

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:No, we can make motions.

There's a silly motion in every post on the previous page. We're currently debating a section of bills.

That doesn't matter. These motions are legitimate.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:There's a silly motion in every post on the previous page. We're currently debating a section of bills.

That doesn't matter. These motions are legitimate.

There was a motion on the last page to declare a Senator a twat. While humorous, that is completely unrelated to debate.
Last edited by Geilinor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamchastkia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:That doesn't matter. These motions are legitimate.

There was a motion on the last page to declare a Senator a twat. While humorous, that is completely unrelated to debate.

They don't have to be related.

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:That doesn't matter. These motions are legitimate.

I do believe however that motions can be made to make an accusation, such as say, distinct twatiness
big chungus, small among us

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 pm

So, when are we voting for these bills?

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Ainin wrote:*paper bag

We're out of hats.

I thought you did a deal with Schmidt fluffy hat company or whatever it's called?

It was proposed, but never finalized. Too bad, because we could make you some awesome hats!

EDIT: It appears the deal was accepted by MV. Your hats will begin production at the Schmidt Brands factories in Weilënze and Höningsveel. They will be shipped in 1-2 business days.
Last edited by New Bierstaat on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:11 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:So bringing it back round to debate, let's try and stay on track now. There are just about 20 hours of debate left.

And we wonder why there is spam everywhere :palm:
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Has the Embassy Act been added to the queue?
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Gallup wrote:Has the Embassy Act been added to the queue?

Look at the queue and you'll see.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Alexander cleared his throat and, after putting on an oversized rhino head he borrowed from his friend Robert Sovcan, rose from his seat.

Good evening, honourable senators of the Aurentine Commonwealth.

As the second stanza of our national anthem states so well, the Aurentine Commonwealth was founded as a testament to our people’s strength and dedication to the principle of freedom and, by extension, liberty, equality and democracy. What kind of signal are we sending the world if we were to absolve ourselves of our international obligations under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to guarantee freedom of assembly and expression?

That is exactly what the Aurentine Partisan Politics Act attempts to do. It undermines Aurentine democracy and international law by seeking to pose arbitrary and excessive punishments on senators with dual party membership, and ban anyone who doesn’t do so from having their votes counted, a proposal contrary to the faith of the Second Constitution of the Senate and the Limiting Legislation Act.

Fellow legislators of the Land of Liberty, do we want to leave a legacy of injustice and completely arbitrary punishment for a victimless and entirely harmless offence, or one of a Näsioonebünd Aurentinsë, stark en freer [Aurentine Commonwealth, strong and free]?

Fellow senators and especially, fellow countrymen, I urge a NAY vote on the Aurentine Partisan Politics Act, to maintain a fair and democratic Commonwealth where due process and freedom of peaceful assembly is acknowledged and respected.

Thank you all for your time.

-The Rt. Hon Alexander Ainin, Rhino Overlord
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

This time James did not have a fellow government senator to get wishes of good luck from, he did not have any hope for applause from party members, he only expected criticism and hostility. It was humiliating for James to have to announce this, having just recently made a short speech with his support for the government.
But things had changed, and it had not taken long. Over a short period of time, the actions taken by those around him were no longer bearable. The attitudes towards his views had gone too far. This was what James needed to do, if not face regret for the rest of his political career. So he rose to his feet, knowing that the words he was soon to speak would cause friendships to shatter and dreams to fall away.

"Senators of Aurentina, only a very short time ago I made a speech. A speech that challenged the Leader of the Opposition's words, a speech that said the government was doing a better job than the opposition, a speech that attacked the previous government. However, there was one thing it did not do. While I stated that the government deserved power more than the opposition, something I still believe, I never actually said that the government was doing a good job. I even said my expectations for it were not high, and they still aren't. The cabinet is not full of many senators who often author legislation, and anyone who hopes that this will be a very successful government will without a doubt be left disappointed when it leaves office.

Now until now I have decided to just get on with it, I would do my job, and others would face the consequences if they didn't. But now something has changed, something that has caused me to make a big decision. When the National Freedom Coalition began to talk about a budget, I became worried. I mean in offence to many in the coalition, but I view your economic beliefs in a way that I do not seek to state here for fear of a point of order being raised. I did not, however, expect my biggest enemy in budget negotiations to be someone from my own party, and definitely not someone who shares very similar economic views.

Now in my previous speech, I talked about the opposition not caring about children, but maybe I need to take a look at the government's stance on them. While my education bills received opposition from the libertarians, who obviously did so as it clashed with their ideology, the majority of the government supported my proposed legislation. I was wrong to think that this meant they cared for the young of our nation. In the last twenty four hours, in budget negotiations, time and time again my arguments and questions were avoided by the Treasurer and Minister of the Exchequer. I constantly put forward reasons for the education budget to be boosted by a further three billion pounds from their proposed fifty seven, but they dodged by statements and ignored my inquiries. The Ministry of Education will become underfunded under this government, just like the last. It's a disgrace that education is just viewed as an expensive waste of money that would be better of saving for an emergency fund. Education is what provides this nation with a future, and I can't help feel that under either major coalition our education system, and therefore our future, is in safe hands.

That is why I announce my resignation from the sixth government of the Commonwealth of Aurentina, and from the National Freedom Coalition. This also means I will be resigning from my current political party, I wish it the best of luck. No party represents me anymore, nor any coalition. I will continue my efforts in improving life for young people, something I believe that few others in the senate are enthusiastic about."

OOC: I tried my best Ainin, did I avoid any rule violations?
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Gallup
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Britanno wrote:This time James did not have a fellow government senator to get wishes of good luck from, he did not have any hope for applause from party members, he only expected criticism and hostility. It was humiliating for James to have to announce this, having just recently made a short speech with his support for the government.
But things had changed, and it had not taken long. Over a short period of time, the actions taken by those around him were no longer bearable. The attitudes towards his views had gone too far. This was what James needed to do, if not face regret for the rest of his political career. So he rose to his feet, knowing that the words he was soon to speak would cause friendships to shatter and dreams to fall away.

"Senators of Aurentina, only a very short time ago I made a speech. A speech that challenged the Leader of the Opposition's words, a speech that said the government was doing a better job than the opposition, a speech that attacked the previous government. However, there was one thing it did not do. While I stated that the government deserved power more than the opposition, something I still believe, I never actually said that the government was doing a good job. I even said my expectations for it were not high, and they still aren't. The cabinet is not full of many senators who often author legislation, and anyone who hopes that this will be a very successful government will without a doubt be left disappointed when it leaves office.

Now until now I have decided to just get on with it, I would do my job, and others would face the consequences if they didn't. But now something has changed, something that has caused me to make a big decision. When the National Freedom Coalition began to talk about a budget, I became worried. I mean in offence to many in the coalition, but I view your economic beliefs in a way that I do not seek to state here for fear of a point of order being raised. I did not, however, expect my biggest enemy in budget negotiations to be someone from my own party, and definitely not someone who shares very similar economic views.

Now in my previous speech, I talked about the opposition not caring about children, but maybe I need to take a look at the government's stance on them. While my education bills received opposition from the libertarians, who obviously did so as it clashed with their ideology, the majority of the government supported my proposed legislation. I was wrong to think that this meant they cared for the young of our nation. In the last twenty four hours, in budget negotiations, time and time again my arguments and questions were avoided by the Treasurer and Minister of the Exchequer. I constantly put forward reasons for the education budget to be boosted by a further three billion pounds from their proposed fifty seven, but they dodged by statements and ignored my inquiries. The Ministry of Education will become underfunded under this government, just like the last. It's a disgrace that education is just viewed as an expensive waste of money that would be better of saving for an emergency fund. Education is what provides this nation with a future, and I can't help feel that under either major coalition our education system, and therefore our future, is in safe hands.

That is why I announce my resignation from the sixth government of the Commonwealth of Aurentina, and from the National Freedom Coalition. This also means I will be resigning from my current political party, I wish it the best of luck. No party represents me anymore, nor any coalition. I will continue my efforts in improving life for young people, something I believe that few others in the senate are enthusiastic about."

"Boo! Wait, can I boo? Is that allowed?"

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Gallup wrote:
Britanno wrote:This time James did not have a fellow government senator to get wishes of good luck from, he did not have any hope for applause from party members, he only expected criticism and hostility. It was humiliating for James to have to announce this, having just recently made a short speech with his support for the government.

"Boo! Wait, can I boo? Is that allowed?"

I would say that is conduct unbecoming of a senator, but (assuming parliamentary protocol) that is the PPT's call.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Gallup
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Gallup wrote:"Boo! Wait, can I boo? Is that allowed?"

I would say that is conduct unbecoming of a senator, but (assuming parliamentary protocol) that is the PPT's call.

Uhh... I retract that. Yep

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Booing in moderation after a speech is not something I am against if it's not against PPUBA (I can't think what PPUBA point it would break though). Post after post of senators booing everyone they don't like will however not be tolerated.

OOC: It happens in parliament a lot, the speaker only asks MP's to calm down if it goes on too long and stops somebody from continuing a speech or starting one. It's an exercise of common sense really.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives