NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Agritum wrote:
Valentir wrote:Who is proposing a Minister of Religion? Don' t we have Freedom of and From Religion?

I'll propose a Ministry of Irreligion, at this point.

I fully agree with that suggestion.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Agritum wrote:
Valentir wrote:Who is proposing a Minister of Religion? Don' t we have Freedom of and From Religion?

Hell I'm a Deist but at this point I'll support that.

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Agritum wrote:

A Minister of Secularism would be better.

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:I think the simple solution is to do as follows:
Global Warming Prevention act
Author: Alexander Paliaologos [NIFP] | Co-Sponsors:

SECTION 1: DEFINITIONS
pi·ra·cy
/ˈpīrəsē/
Noun
The practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.

SECTION 2: THE BILL
REALIZING that global warming is an immenent threat to our nation that will submerge us under the ocean

UNDERSTANDING that many proposals to reduce carbon emmisions are expensive and restrict industrial development

CONSIDERS that while global temperatures have been rising steadily for the past two centuries, while the number of high seas pirates have been falling

CONCLUDING that pirates contribute to global cooling

HEREBY legalizes Piracy, and annuls the sections of any treaties or current laws we have that prohibits piracy

Acknowledging that mobile phones are important for public safety and connectivity of our citizens, I move that we stop all funding for cancer research since cancer causes an increase in cell phones!

Ok then. We will call it the "Oneracan thinks cancer is not worth our money act"
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Fulflood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Not last one but, as I said several times it is free in UK however it is a college education not school education.

Nope.
Kent.
Lincolnshire.
Berkshire.

And from FSC's perspective (US), it's high school. Also, what something is called doesn't define what it is under law (there's a secondary with College in its name round here, doesn't mean it's not a secondary school).

Sixth form are funded under Further Education Funding Council for England, Schools are funded by Local education authority therefore clearly indicating the separation between schools and sixth form college.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Britcan wrote:
Agritum wrote:I'll propose a Ministry of Irreligion, at this point.

A Minister of Secularism would be better.

That I'm more in favour of. Religion has no part in the Government of Aurentina.

Britcan
Senator

Postby Britcan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Fulflood wrote:Nope.
Kent.
Lincolnshire.
Berkshire.

And from FSC's perspective (US), it's high school. Also, what something is called doesn't define what it is under law (there's a secondary with College in its name round here, doesn't mean it's not a secondary school).

Sixth form are funded under Further Education Funding Council for England, Schools are funded by Local education authority therefore clearly indicating the separation between schools and sixth form college.

My secondary school includes the sixth form...

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Britcan wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Sixth form are funded under Further Education Funding Council for England, Schools are funded by Local education authority therefore clearly indicating the separation between schools and sixth form college.

My secondary school includes the sixth form...

Really? We had to move to a separate sixth form college.

Britcan
Senator

Postby Britcan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Britcan wrote:My secondary school includes the sixth form...

Really? We had to move to a separate sixth form college.

I live in Kent and all the secondary schools around here have the sixth form.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Britcan wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Really? We had to move to a separate sixth form college.

I live in Kent and all the secondary schools around here have the sixth form.

I live in Barnet and apart from mill hill, which had completely separate building there are separate sixth form colleges like: harrow college, Barnet college etc.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Fulflood wrote:Nope.
Kent.
Lincolnshire.
Berkshire.

The Further Education Funding Council for England (FEFC) was a non-departmental public body of the Department for Education and Skills which distributed funding to Further Education and Sixth Form Colleges in England between 1992 and 2001.

Operative verb = was.

I also discovered that multiple other non-grammar counties (e.g. half of Wiltshire) have integrated sixth forms.
Last edited by Fulflood on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 pm

What are we even debating at this point. It seems like all serious debate ended hours ago

(is it still allowed to end debate early?)
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:What are we even debating at this point. It seems like all serious debate ended hours ago

I was just wondering the same thing. By the way does anyone know if those astronomy thingies passed?
Last edited by Of the Quendi on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Of the Quendi wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:What are we even debating at this point. It seems like all serious debate ended hours ago

I was just wondering the same thing. By the way does anyone know if those astronomy thingies passed?

The one mandating the program didnt, the ministry reform did

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Can I move that we end debate and commence voting?
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:
Ministry of Science and Religion Act
Author: Saul Califas [C] | Co-Sponsors:

The Aurentine Senate,

APOLOGISING in advance for its apologia,

RECONSIDERING the whole secular state thing in a non-binding sort of way,

DECIDING that the Minister of Science...wait, what? This coalition wants a Minister of Science? :palm: This wasn't covered by the Ministry of Research and Astronomy?

It's not the best law I've ever written, but I'm sort of constrained without repealing SSA.

Why do we need a Ministry of Religion? The government won't be legislating on it much.
Just clarifying the apparent role of MoS:
Great Nepal wrote:Their identity is supposed to be secret, how do you know of this information whose accuracy I can not comment on, senator?

You wouldn't have contact with secret group of scientists. Only original minister of science and potential minister of science candidates have access to them, so no.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:43 pm

This hair splitting about what years happen in what schools is completely missing my point - just in case it was aiming for it :geek:

See below.
Battlion wrote:

I believe it only recently changed so you can't act like that.. Plus you have to be in education till 18 yes but that includes apprenticeships which isn't school etc.

This is my point, in reply to all three of you.

It's flat out ridiculous and possibly destructive policy to claim that the government must hand-deliver the Senator's favorite television shows to every resident regardless of any factor, while insisting that people must not be allowed to access vital educational material based on arbitrary and discriminatory factors like age. I don't care whether it's math for children, accounting for fourth-career septuagenarians, or cooking for middle aged slackers. I said universal access to education and textbooks. As in, the whole domain of human knowledge being delivered by society to every library and home computer, without age discrimination or pay walls, etc.

GN's response was to split hairs about how he wants children of a certain age to have some free educational access, but not all, and others should have none or no protected right. Which is precisely my point. He wants you in front of the TV watching his favorite things instead of choosing whether to watch sci-fi or take a physics course. Or both, for that matter, but he won't even help Aurentine programming get off its feet - so we have to rely on Britain forever and put forward no grand cultural ideas of our own on the TV screen.

It makes no sense to me how the people who support this wouldn't want great Aurentine television, at the very least.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Oneracon wrote:Can I move that we end debate and commence voting?

No.

Once a bill becomes the first in the queue, it must be debated on for 24 hours before going up for vote. The debate period may be extended only once for up to 12 more hours if seven Senators move for an extension and an admin approves.

The important word here is "must".
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Kamchastkia
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Ainin wrote:
Oneracon wrote:Can I move that we end debate and commence voting?

No.

Once a bill becomes the first in the queue, it must be debated on for 24 hours before going up for vote. The debate period may be extended only once for up to 12 more hours if seven Senators move for an extension and an admin approves.

So the chamber is gonna be dead for a few more hours I suppose.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Fulflood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:
Actually, I do for school age as shown in Education framework act.

School age is agreed by many (including in the UK) to be up to 18.

But it was a slightly unnecessary ad hominem from FSC.

Nay, a tu quoque at worst. From my perspective, it was pointing out the characteristic inconsistency of a man whose manipulation knows no bounds. I thought it was germane to the argument.

Britcan wrote:We can fund and show Aurentine programming at the same time as showing quality international entertainment.

That's exactly what I've been arguing for.

Great Nepal wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Domestic funding should prioritize creating quality Aurentine entertainment programs.

I can't quite believe we're advocating using Aurentine money to expand the reach of British programming without asking how Dr. Who got to be the phenomenon it is today. Public support for domestic programming, that's how!

Senator, I don't appreciate how casually you insult Aurentine writers, actors, directors and producers. You want us to colonize outer space, yet you won't help Aurentine talent get noticed on television? Surely international renown and glory would be better served by having our own programs than by being a laughingstock that only serves up the entertainment of others, like the Canadian networks used to be?

Show me national entertainment comparable to Dr. Who and Star trek.
Dr. Who. It is produced by the BBC.

Free South Califas wrote: :eyebrow: Senator, you don't even support the universal right to free education and textbooks.

Actually, I do for school age as shown in Education framework act.
Again, you don't support the universal right to free education and textbooks. You don't seem capable of responding meaningfully, so I'm not sure why I'm repeating myself, but there it is.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm

The perfect time for pursuing other business!

The INTERPOL Act has enough sponsors to be added to the queue.

INTERPOL Act
Author: Oneracon [RG] | Co-sponsors: Venaleria [RG], Valentir [LD], Mitonesia [TR], Rumostan [PC], Byzantium Imperial [NIFP]

The Senate of the Aurentine Commonwealth,

RECOGNIZING the importance of the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) as the nature of crime becomes increasingly global;

NOTING the need for Aurentine law enforcement bodies to co-operate with international counterparts;

HEREBY RATIFIES the ICPO-INTERPOL Constitution and General Regulations; and,

HEREBY AUTHORIZES the signing of said document by a duly appointed individual; and,

HEREBY ESTABLISHES the Aurentine National Central Bureau, managed by the Aurentine Gendarmerie, to act as a liaison between domestic law enforcement and INTERPOL; and,

HEREBY ENACTS the following:

Aurentine National Central Bureau
  1. Aurentine National Central Bureau (ANCB) shall be the official title in English, with Aurentinsë Zentralbüro (AZB) being the official title in Aurentine.
  2. The ANCB shall be staffed by officers and civilian staff of the Aurentine Gendarmerie, public servants, and seconded police officers from other Aurentine law enforcement agencies.
  3. All ANCB staff shall be expected to be fluent in at least one of the following languages: English, French, Spanish, or Arabic.
  4. The ANCB shall consist of the following divisions: Operations Center, Crime Unit, Notices and National Criminal Registry Unit, and Liason Services.
  5. The Operations Centre shall be responsible for receiving, evaluating, and efficiently processing all requests from domestic law enforcement for assistance from other INTERPOL member countries on criminal matters.
  6. The Crime Unit shall be responsible for coordinating and providing assistance in pursuing major international criminal investigations through: offering timely assistance to law enforcement on legislation surrounding criminal investigations and on country requirement for pre-extradition requests; and coordinating and providing assistance in locating, deporting, and/or extraditing foreign fugitives in the Aurentine Commonwealth and Aurentine fugitives abroad.
  7. The Notices and National Criminal Registry Unit shall be responsible for entering all internationally wanted fugitives and missing persons into relevant domestic law enforcement databases.
  8. Liason Services shall be responsible for coordinating the participation of Aurentine law enforcement bodies in INTERPOL conferences, sypmposia, and meetings; in addition, Liason Services shall manage and authorize access by Aurentine law enforcement bodies to the INTERPOL Secure Communications Network ("I-24/7").

INTERPOL Travel Documents
  9. Persons bearing an INTERPOL travel document (INTERPOL Passport or INTERPOL e-Identification Card) shall be recognized as being law enforcement agents on INTERPOL business first and citizens of their home country second.
  10. Persons holding an INTERPOL Passport or a combination of a national passport and INTERPOL e-Identification Card shall be exempt from normal visa requirements and shall be subject to accelerated customs processing.
  11. Aurentine law enforcement, when acting internationally on INTERPOL business, shall be permitted to bear INTERPOL travel documents.
Last edited by Oneracon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Ainin wrote:No.

So the chamber is gonna be dead for a few more hours I suppose.

After cehcking the senate archives, it appears the mods Xed out that line of the bill for some reason 2 days ago.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Rumostan wrote:
Ainin wrote:You should check yours.

ATN is currently barely making a revenue.

It is making a revenue and will make a revenue, when a buisness makes a change, it will always experience a dip. I have complete trust that it will be making more than enough revenue.

What the actual fuck are you on about, Senator? Let me repeat your words to you:

Rumostan wrote:Not true, the ATN is earning more money than ever, Senator, please check your facts before saying such ludicrous things.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I've been arguing for quality domestic programming to be funded.
Code: Select all
The Ministry of Culture and Sports must ensure that the utmost reasonable effort is made to discover talented Aurentine television writers, actors, directors and producers, and to produce quality Aurentine television programming.

If at all feasible, the Ministry of Culture and Sports shall make a good-faith attempt to produce at least one television program of significant intellectual depth and such international appeal that it shall increase the reputation of Aurentina as a patron of the great works of art.

Publicly subsidised, owned and/or operated television stations must display programming of meaningful Aurentine origin for at least 20% of their air time each year, beginning in 2018.
Here we go - this gives the MoCS, ATN etc. five years to find and/or develop enough Aurentine media to show it on 20% of their airtime, and suggests how they might go about it, without micromanaging. Kouralia, what say you? Lower number? Less? More? Are you willing to put any language like this in the bill?
Last edited by Free South Califas on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Oneracon wrote:As author of the Proxy Voting Act, I approve the proofreader's change.

I further move to separate (de-omnibus?) the Impartial Polling Places Act from the Anti Corruption Omnibus, and omnibus the Proxy Voting Act and Impartial Polling Places Act into an Election Standards Omnibus.

Byzantium Imperial wrote:Fourth

Any more? :meh:

Sixth. I think adding the President will do it. Might wanna ping Wolfmanne?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives