NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am

Geilinor wrote:
Welsh Cowboy wrote:The civil service, or bureaucracy, has nothing to do with the government. All the rank-and-file government employees can continue to function without a politically appointed head of their ministry. Look at the US. Several of the Cabinet departments are currently being led by career civil servants until an appointment is made.

The prime minister isn't just the leader of the ministries. What part of head of government do you not understand? The prime minister leads the government. Just forming it and then leaving it to collapse isn't enough. I didn't see enough people trying to save the Progress Coalition. An active prime minister could have stepped in and tried to stop it from breaking apart. The president is just a ceremonial head of state that just basically signs pieces of paper and symbolically represents the country. Aurentina doesn't deserve our current gridlock.

No, the Progress Coalition was done when Wolfmanne said it was done. He had the authority to appoint the next PM, and he didn't want a Communist no matter how active he was.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am

Slazliyka wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
Looking at the past few pages, he has commended the admin decision to suspend voting, suggested that we keep track of any votes so that we can proxy vote it later, jokingly asked if the admin who responded to Wolf was Wolf, and complimented that story. None of those scream "inappropriate" to me.

The only borderline thing I can find is where he called us the coalition of the close-minded. That wouldn't warrant a citation in my book, but if it does, others who have used it should be warned as well.

I'm not sure exactly what went into the decision but off the top of my head I know he's posted meme pics with rape jokes more than once.

Several of them in the last few days, including harassing me at the Communist Party HQ thread for having PTSD and suffering (possibly permanent) physical damage in my neck, shoulders and back due to Kouralia's gang rape RP. I didn't report that because I didn't think the Admins had anything to do with it, and I woke up this morning to see the picture in the chamber and the warning. You wanna have some fun at the expense of my health too? Put a cherry on top of this whole thing?

Chetssaland wrote:
Slazliyka wrote:I'm not sure exactly what went into the decision but off the top of my head I know he's posted meme pics with rape jokes more than once.

I'd have to see the picture and context, but I suppose there's a chance those could deserve a warning. However, they should warn those posts rather than the butthurt one.

I'll leave it at that though. I don't want to make controversy out of this.

Considering "butthurt" literally means "suffering consequences from rape", I don't see what's to disagree with. If you don't want to get warned, don't harass others about the consequences of rape. Simple.

Rumostan wrote:I wish to put forward a motion that bills can only be extended for a maximum of 24 hours, any more and the state of democracy in Aurentia should be called into question.

Thankfully, there's already a bill on the queue to do that, it's called VRA. You can ask Resora to add you as a sponsor if you also like the other things it does.

Geilinor wrote:
CTALNH wrote:Because they say so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_minister The PM has to direct the cabinet and direction of the government as well. The prime minister is the head of government, not the president. The president is just the head of state. The prime minister is supposed to be the leader of the governing coalition. It isn't just an appointing role. "The prime minister is expected with other ministers to ensure the passage of bills through the legislature." The Progress Coalition collapsed because it lost united legislative direction.

Or because of a backstabbing president who decided to purge the left for no harm or violation, but whatever.

Geilinor wrote:
The Jahistic Unified Republic wrote:I'll compromise on that.

I agree.

Doesn't matter, the admins said it reverts to 48 hours if they can't decide.

Welsh Cowboy wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
The senate can function, but the ministries will suffer. You're forgetting about the people of Aurentina, who deserve a fully functioning government.

*I'm not making a political point on this, or blaming one side or the other for any gridlock. I'm just stating a fact.

The civil service, or bureaucracy, has nothing to do with the government. All the rank-and-file government employees can continue to function without a politically appointed head of their ministry. Look at the US. Several of the Cabinet departments are currently being led by career civil servants until an appointment is made.

Note, this isn't an issue right now anyway - all ministries are filled by the Progress Coalition in full confidence of the senate.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

Free South Califas wrote:
Geilinor wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_minister The PM has to direct the cabinet and direction of the government as well. The prime minister is the head of government, not the president. The president is just the head of state. The prime minister is supposed to be the leader of the governing coalition. It isn't just an appointing role. "The prime minister is expected with other ministers to ensure the passage of bills through the legislature." The Progress Coalition collapsed because it lost united legislative direction.

Or because of a backstabbing president who decided to purge certain elements of the left for no harm or violation, but whatever.

Fix'd.

Saying Wolf purged the left is intellectually dishonest and you know it.
Last edited by Ainin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 am

Ainin wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Or because of a backstabbing president who decided to purge certain elements of the left for no harm or violation, but whatever.

I agree. Wolf didn't force anybody to leave. The debate over the WEA got too heated. It wasn't part of the coalition agreement, so it shouldn't have affected the coalition at all. More than a few alternatives to the WEA were proposed.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:14 am

Geilinor wrote:
Ainin wrote:Saying Wolf purged the left is intellectually dishonest and you know it.

I agree. Wolf didn't force anybody to leave. The debate over the WEA got too heated. It wasn't part of the coalition agreement, so it shouldn't have affected the coalition at all. More than a few alternatives to the WEA were proposed.

I added "certain elements of". Because your party, as well as mine, are both part of the left, and last time I checked
1) We didn't get purged
2) No one got purged
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am

Geilinor wrote:
Ainin wrote:Saying Wolf purged the left is intellectually dishonest and you know it.

He and his party joined another coalition. Seeing as he was the President, he removed the far-left from government by doing so, as he would appoint ministers from his new coalition, of which we were not invited to be a part. I agree with your point on the WEA.

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 am

The National Executive and Legislative Powers Act

Drafted By: Senator Owen Tarniff II and Great Nepal
Sponsors: New Zepuha, The Azulia, Ainin, Geilinor, Britanno, Liberated Counties, Lemanrussland

Hereby;

REPEALS The Republican Executive Act,

FOUNDS The Office of President of the Commonwealth to serve as Head of State for our nation,

DECLARES An Election will be held every three (3) months, or when serving president calls an election within aforementioned time period, and shall be held on the following terms;
- Any Senator may run for the office of President;
- All nominees must sumbit their intention to run for Presidency atleast three (3) days in advance, or their candidacy will not be recorded;
- Elections shall be held by means of exhaustive voting, where every single voting period shall last for four (4) days;
- Last standing candidate at end of exhaustive voting will be named president of the commonwealth.
- Newly elected president will take office after three (3) days of being elected to allow serving president to end any works he started.
- During the period of between start of elections and new president taking over, serving president shall be referred to as "caretaker president" and shall not start any governmental action that wasn't started before the elections.

FOUNDS The Office of Prime Minister of the Commonwealth to serve as the Head of Government for our nation,

Declares prime minister shall be appointed by president and may be dismissed by president, as he sees fit. Prime minister may also be dismissed by vote of no confidence in senate.

DEFINES The Powers and Duties of the President of the Commonwealth as Follows;
- May Veto bill passed in the senate unless the bill has been passed by two third majority;
- May Ratify or Veto Declarations of War created, and passed by the senate;
- Acts as Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces;
- Grant pardons to anyone convicted of either criminal or civil offence,

DEFINES The power and duties of prime minister of commonwealth as follows;
- May Veto one bill passed in the senate unless overruled by president or bill was passed by two third majority;
- May appoint, and remove senators to and from the various ministries established by the Acts of senate or by executive orders issued by prime minister or president;
- Acts as the Highest Level of Law Enforcement in our nation,
- Grant pardon to anyone convicted of crimes equivalent to or lower than derelict.

FOUNDS The Office of Speaker of the Senate, to serve as the head of the Senate of our nation,

DECLARES, speaker of the senate shall be hold power on the following terms;
- There shall be no more than fifteen speaker of the senate at a given time;
- Current speakers of the senate shall be Aeken, Britcan, Denecaep, Great Nepal, Maklohi Vai, Quirina, Regnum Dominae, Slazliyka, and Wolfmanne.
- New speaker of the senate may be appointed at discretion of existing speakers of the senate after internal consultation.
- Speaker of senate may be removed at discretion of existing speakers of the senate after internal consultation.

DEFINES The Powers and Duties of the Speaker of the Senate as Follows;
- Maintains the Queue for Legislation in the Senate Chamber;
- Moderates Debate;
- Keeps the official count when voting;
- Ensure civilized proceedings within the senate;
- Prevent and reduce filibusters

SHOULD The president be impeached from office by the senate or resign, a vote will take place five days following the passage of the Vote of No Confidence or resignation on the same terms as the above. The new president will serve the remainder of the three month term, and elections will be held once again,

DECLARES That any Vote of No Confidence may only be conducted after a motion of fifteen in the senate, and it may only pass with four fifth majority, that is conducted over 48 hours.

The National Executive and Legislative Powers Act has enough support to add into queue. I also move to ensure this skips queue and goes to top of the queue due to obvious changes this would make.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Sponsors: New Zepuha, The Azulia, Ainin

Hereby;

FOUNDS The Office of President of the Commonwealth to serve as Head of State for our nation,

DECLARES An Election will be held every three (3) months, or when serving president calls an election within aforementioned time period, and shall be held on the following terms;
- All nominees must sumbit their intention to run for Presidency atleast three (3) days in advance, or their candidacy will not be recorded;
- Elections shall be held by means of exhaustive voting, where every single voting period shall last for four (4) days;
- Last standing candidate at end of exhaustive voting will be named president of the commonwealth.
- Newly elected president will take office after three (3) days of being elected to allow serving president to end any works he started.
- During the period of between start of elections and new president taking over, serving president shall be referred to as "caretaker president" and shall not start any governmental action that wasn't started before the elections.

FOUNDS The Office of Prime Minister of the Commonwealth to serve as the Head of Government for our nation,

Declares prime minister shall be appointed by president and may be dismissed by president, as he sees fit.

- May Veto bill passed in the senate unless the bill has been passed by two third majority;

- May Veto one bill passed in the senate unless overruled by president or bill was passed by two third majority;
- May appoint, and remove senators to and from the various ministries established by the Acts of senate or by executive orders issued by prime minister or president;
- Grant pardon to anyone convicted of crimes equivalent to or lower than derelict.

FOUNDS The Office of Speaker of the Senate, to serve as the head of the Senate of our nation,

- Current speakers of the senate shall be Aeken, Britcan, Denecaep, Great Nepal, Maklohi Vai, Quirina, Regnum Dominae, Slazliyka, and Wolfmanne.
- New speaker of the senate may be appointed at discretion of existing speakers of the senate after internal consultation.
- Speaker of senate may be removed at discretion of existing speakers of the senate after internal consultation.

- Moderates Debate;

SHOULD The president be impeached from office by the senate or resign, a vote will take place five days following the passage of the Vote of No Confidence or resignation on the same terms as the above. The new president will serve the remainder of the three month term, and elections will be held once again,

DECLARES That a Vote of No Confidence may only be conducted after a motion of fifteen in the senate, and it may only pass with four fifth majority, that is conducted over 48 hours.

The National Executive and Legislative Powers Act has enough support to add into queue. I also move to ensure this skips queue and goes to top of the queue due to obvious changes this would make.

Don't votes of no confidence apply against the prime minister?

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

Opposed, because the Executive Council Act is a better act that is already at the top of the queue, I think.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Geilinor wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:

Sponsors: New Zepuha, The Azulia, Ainin

Hereby;

Declares prime minister shall be appointed by president and may be dismissed by president, as he sees fit.

- Moderates Debate;

DECLARES That a Vote of No Confidence may only be conducted after a motion of fifteen in the senate, and it may only pass with four fifth majority, that is conducted over 48 hours.

Don't votes of no confidence apply against the prime minister?

No, just like currently vote of no confidence doesn't apply against indivudal ministers.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

Yanalia wrote:Opposed, because the Executive Council Act is a better act that is already at the top of the queue, I think.

1. I swear government services act is on the top.
2. So, you would prefer if I wait for ECA to pass then pass this, thus superseding ECA?
3. No, ECA changes this nation to be ruled by a mini-senate which is a bad idea.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 am

NSG Senate Administrators wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:As an Admin, I vote yes.

Noted. The vote is now 3-2 for.

I vote Yes on the confirmation. Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

Geilinor wrote:I vote Yes on the confirmation. Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote

The voting is still suspended, no?
Last edited by Ainin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Treorai
Senator

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

Ainin wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I vote Yes on the confirmation. Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote

The voting is still suspended, no?

Log it.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

CTALNH
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

Geilinor wrote:
NSG Senate Administrators wrote:Noted. The vote is now 3-2 for.

I vote Yes on the confirmation. Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote

What did we say?

The admins are biased us fuck.
"This guy is a State socialist, which doesn't so much mean mass murder and totalitarianism as it means trying to have a strong state to lead the way out of poverty and towards a bright future. Strict state control of the economy is necessary to make the great leap forward into that brighter future, and all elements of society must be sure to contribute or else."
Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.64
Lawful Neutral/Lawful Evil half and half.
Authoritarian Extreme Leftist because fuck pre-existing Ideologies.
"Epicus Doomicus Metallicus"
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.
T.I.F: Trans Inclusionary Feminist

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:44 am

CTALNH wrote:

What did we say?

No, don't count it yet. The admins said that they need 4 votes for voting to resume.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

Geilinor wrote:
CTALNH wrote:What did we say?

No, don't count it yet. The admins said that they need 4 votes for voting to resume.

... four ADMIN votes.

CTALNH
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

Geilinor wrote:
CTALNH wrote:What did we say?

Dude the vote 3-3

Your the last vote.
"This guy is a State socialist, which doesn't so much mean mass murder and totalitarianism as it means trying to have a strong state to lead the way out of poverty and towards a bright future. Strict state control of the economy is necessary to make the great leap forward into that brighter future, and all elements of society must be sure to contribute or else."

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

CTALNH wrote:
Geilinor wrote:No, don't count it yet. The admins said that they need 4 votes for voting to resume.

Dude the vote 3-3

Your the last vote.

Geilinor isn't admin...

CTALNH
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 am

Ainin wrote:
Geilinor wrote:No, don't count it yet. The admins said that they need 4 votes for voting to resume.

... four ADMIN votes.

Wait his not an admin?

Sorry Admins but you are still biased.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am

CTALNH wrote:
Ainin wrote:... four ADMIN votes.

Wait his not an admin?

No. The Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote part was because I was voting for myself.

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am

Chetssaland wrote:I'd have to see the picture and context, but I suppose there's a chance those could deserve a warning. However, they should warn those posts rather than the butthurt one.

I'll leave it at that though. I don't want to make controversy out of this.

Considering "butthurt" literally means "suffering consequences from rape", I don't see what's to disagree with. If you don't want to get warned, don't harass others about the consequences of rape. Simple.

Literal meanings don't matter. You know what he meant by butthurt. The slander and etiquette nonsense is getting old really. I'm not one to talk about PC police, but the senate really does have PC police right now.

But like I already said, this isn't the place.
Last edited by Chetssaland on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am

Geilinor wrote:
CTALNH wrote:Wait his not an admin?

No. The Don't hate me, the coalition has encouraged me to vote part was because I was voting for myself.

Voting on the confirmation is suspended. The admins are voting on whether to resume voting with the 24 hour extension.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am

Ainin wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Or because of a backstabbing president who decided to purge certain elements of the left for no harm or violation, but whatever.

Fix'd.

I'm sorry you see it that way. I was intending to refer to groups that are explicitly leftist as such, expecting that parties like yours would prefer terms like "left-center". I understand why you said that, but no, I was not (ETA: intentionally) being dishonest, just using different terms. Is there a term you would prefer I use for parties left of TR's left wing?

Geilinor wrote:

This guy gets it. The reaction to the WEA was a double bind; our voters wanted us to speak up for their vision, and influential elements in the coalition thought merely proposing it was unacceptable. We've been working on an alternative, EDA, which is more business-owner-friendly. It's all such pointless destruction.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 am

Ainin wrote:Fix'd.

I'm sorry you see it that way. I was intending to refer to groups that are explicitly leftist as such, expecting that parties like yours would prefer terms like "left-center". I understand why you said that, but no, I was not behing dishonest, just using different terms. Is there a term you would prefer I use for parties left of TR's left wing?

Geilinor wrote:I agree. Wolf didn't force anybody to leave. The debate over the WEA got too heated. It wasn't part of the coalition agreement, so it shouldn't have affected the coalition at all. More than a few alternatives to the WEA were proposed.

This guy gets it. The reaction to the WEA was a double bind; our voters wanted us to speak up for their vision, and influential elements in the coalition thought merely proposing it was unacceptable. We've been working on an alternative, EDA, which is more business-owner-friendly. It's all such pointless destruction.

Where's the EDA?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives