NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Coffee Shop [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:39 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Yanalia wrote:
That is the duty. But it does not give the Minister any powers. The Minister can only accomplish that duty using legal methods. At the moment, the Minister has no available legal methods.

This if from the rep executive act;

"I. The executive power of the NSG state shall be vested in a President and a Council of Ministers"

And this

"II. The Council of Ministers shall consist of a Prime Minister, and Ministers of the various executive departments."
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Yanalia wrote:
That is the duty. But it does not give the Minister any powers. The Minister can only accomplish that duty using legal methods. At the moment, the Minister has no available legal methods.

"I. The executive power of the NSG state shall be vested in a President and a Council of Ministers"

That does not specify any powers. From that act, "A. Ministers shall hold executive powers according to their portfolio as established by law."

No law has established any powers for the Ministry of Interiors.
Last edited by Yanalia on Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Yanalia wrote:
Show me where that Act gives the Minister control over the police or any other direct authority. It only specifies duties, but not abilities. And according to the Republican Executive Act, all abilities must be explicitly defined by law.

"The Ministry of Interiors, with the duty of policing the nation, ensuring national security, supervise local governments, elections and immigration."

Not a fan of such a broad, sort of vague interpretation of the duties of the executive. That needs to be cleaned up to be doubly clear, or we need a judicial ruling on it (obviously that is impossible at the moment, but will become possible in the future).

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Yanalia wrote:

That does not specify any powers. From that act, "A. Ministers shall hold executive powers according to their portfolio as established by law."

That clause means they can do what they like as long as it is in accordance with the laws.
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Yanalia wrote:

That clause means they can do what they like as long as it is in accordance with the laws.

Would you like me to go into the argument where I, as the Minister of Energy, can nationalize the energy and infrastructure industries again?

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Yanalia wrote:

"Executive powers" has been established. I presume you don't need me to provide a definition for "executive power" ?
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Yanalia wrote:

Would you like me to go into the argument where I, as the Minister of Energy, can nationalize the energy and infrastructure industries again?

You can. Its not an argument, its prof of me and Nepal being correct. You will be kicked out of office but if you want to do that then give it a go.
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Yanalia wrote:

"Executive powers" has been established. I presume you don't need me to provide a definition for "executive power" ?

Yes, I do actually. In fact, the act mandates that the law establish the definition of executive powers in the clause I cited.

Otherwise, would you like me to go into the argument where I, as the Minister of Energy, can nationalize the energy and infrastructure industries again?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Yanalia wrote:

You can. Its not an argument, its prof of me and Nepal being correct. You will be kicked out of office but if you want to do that then give it a go.

By who?

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Divair wrote:

By who?

The president and the vice president will remove him from his ministry. Not to mention a real attempt at a motion of no confidence if he did it.
Slava Ukraini

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Yanalia wrote:

Yes, I do actually. In fact, the act mandates that the law establish the definition of executive powers in the clause I cited.

Otherwise, would you like me to go into the argument where I, as the Minister of Energy, can nationalize the energy and infrastructure industries again?

Right and risk enraging everyone else in the Coalition , such as the moderate Lib Dems and Prog Cons?
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:The president and the vice president will remove him from his ministry. Not to mention a real attempt at a motion of no confidence if he did it.

Where have they stated this?

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Yanalia wrote:

Then, the Minister of Interior can establish an absolute dictatorship in the interest of "national security"? After all, he can "police the nation" which allows very broad abuses and "supervise" elections, thereby destroying the democratic process.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

This bickering is evidence for the need of a Supreme Court to interpret laws, to avoid having people saying "This act, which describes my broad responsibilities, gives me authority to do whatever is necessary to accomplish those duties.", and then going ahead with it. That argument is incredibly stupid, abusive, and dangerous.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:This bickering is evidence for the need of a Supreme Court to interpret laws, to avoid having people saying "This act, which describes my broad responsibilities, gives me authority to do whatever is necessary to accomplish those duties.", and then going ahead with it. That argument is incredibly stupid, abusive, and dangerous.

This would be my point.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Divair wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:The president and the vice president will remove him from his ministry. Not to mention a real attempt at a motion of no confidence if he did it.

Where have they stated this?

Wolfmanne just has above. The coalition would probably fall apart.
Slava Ukraini

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:Wolfmanne just has above. The coalition would probably fall apart.

That's something different than having him removed.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Yanalia wrote:

Then, the Minister of Interior can establish an absolute dictatorship in the interest of "national security"? After all, he can "police the nation" which allows very broad abuses and "supervise" elections, thereby destroying the democratic process.

The royalist guard would have something to say about that, as would the other paramilitaries. Congratulations you just created a civil war!
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Yanalia wrote:

The royalist guard would have something to say about that, as would the other paramilitaries. Congratulations you just created a civil war!

Certainly, but would that be a legal action for the Minister to take?

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Divair wrote:Where have they stated this?

I didn't say I would kick him out. I don't have that power. I said I would oppose it and destabilise the Coalition, perhaps resulting in it falling apart.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Divair wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Wolfmanne just has above. The coalition would probably fall apart.

That's something different than having him removed.

It falls apart, can't rule. New elections with the halves of the coalition on different sides.
Slava Ukraini

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Divair wrote:That's something different than having him removed.

It falls apart, can't rule. New elections with the halves of the coalition on different sides.

It'd be quite hilarious.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:53 pm

By the way, the honorable Minister of Energy is describing the situation as a hypothetical.

These two statements, "Ministers shall hold executive powers according to their portfolio as established by law." and "I can enact whatever policies I wish to accomplish my duties, as outlined in the Ministry Foundation Act", don't mix. That was obviously not the intention of the people who wrote the bills, but instead a twisted interpretation.

Again, we need a Supreme Court in order to make the law clear, instead of just having Ministers "deciding" how they want to interpret laws.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Divair wrote:That's something different than having him removed.

OK, sure, but couldn't the Coalition still rule as tyrants as long as we all agreed? Suppose a Minister was to take an action circumventing the democratic process, but one which all of the Cabinet agreed to?

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:

I didn't say I would kick him out. I don't have that power. I said I would oppose it and destabilise the Coalition, perhaps resulting in it falling apart.

That's what i mean, the coalition would maybe fall apart and then we have new elections.

OOC: It might be quite exciting if that happened!
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives