NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Coffee Shop [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:04 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:You should change some of the standard languages to make it more compatible with our neighbours. Replace Chinese, Mandarin and Latin with Arabic, French and Italian.

Chinese and Mandarin is one of the largest languages in the world, it is in interest of students to be fluent in such language. As for Latin, I would replace it but I think Wolf wanted it there although since he has created alternate proposal, sure. How about this: Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine?

Costa Alegria wrote:Also, Social Studies should be compulsory for at least the first two to three years of secondary school and optional afterwards. Our children shouldn't be ignorant to the outside world.

That would be 8 years of social studies though. Students already know contents about it in primary school so if they want to pursue it, they can in secondary school.

Costa Alegria wrote: As for the optional subjects within the social sciences, we should have History, Classical Studies and Social Studies as options instead of having Social Studies in general as an optioin.

We have history, what do you mean by Classical Studies? I mean, what's main difference between hat and history...

Why don't we offer as an option, all of the above plus a few more so Arabic (not sure who would actually want to study this but anyway) , Chinese, Latin, French, German, English, Aurentine, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Hindi, and Japanese? Why limit ourselves to half a dozen when we could have a dozen and maybe even special language schools!
Slava Ukraini

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Chinese and Mandarin is one of the largest languages in the world, it is in interest of students to be fluent in such language. As for Latin, I would replace it but I think Wolf wanted it there although since he has created alternate proposal, sure. How about this: Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine?

That would be 8 years of social studies though. Students already know contents about it in primary school so if they want to pursue it, they can in secondary school.

We have history, what do you mean by Classical Studies? I mean, what's main difference between hat and history...

Why don't we offer as an option, all of the above plus a few more so Arabic (not sure who would actually want to study this but anyway) , Chinese, Latin, French, German, English, Aurentine, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Hindi, and Japanese? Why limit ourselves to half a dozen when we could have a dozen and maybe even special language schools!

Because it costs a lot of money to run language classes. We cant go around teaching every single language in world or we will go bankrupt soon.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 am

Lemanrussland wrote:
Incarceration rate is irrelevant, if they commit a crime they should be put away.

Controlling the crime rate is the important aspect we should be focused on when talking about the justice system, and obviously, the War on Drugs hasn't reduced the crime rate, even if we dismiss drug related offenses from the equation... parts of Northern Mexico are literally engulfed in civil war-type conditions due to US policy decisions.

Focusing on reducing the crime rate is good but you don't reduce that by making some crimes legal when there are good moral and social reasons not too.
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Because it costs a lot of money to run language classes. We cant go around teaching every single language in world or we will go bankrupt soon.

Languages are cheap subjects to teach when compared to science for example. You of all people should remember that nep. All you need is a text book and a teacher to offer a language, that is not expencive.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 am

Great Nepal wrote:Because it costs a lot of money to run language classes. We cant go around teaching every single language in world or we will go bankrupt soon.

Languages are cheap subjects to teach when compared to science for example. You of all people should remember that nep. All you need is a text book and a teacher to offer a language, that is not expencive.

Teacher should ideally be native in language and be able to speak English fluently...

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:10 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Languages are cheap subjects to teach when compared to science for example. You of all people should remember that nep. All you need is a text book and a teacher to offer a language, that is not expencive.

You need more than a textbook and someone who can speak the language.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Teacher should ideally be native in language and be able to speak English fluently...

You know that about 90% of foreign language teachers around the world are not native speakers? even my private school that could offer more money only had 3 native language speakers out of around 15 language teachers. The second point is a given but quite what it has to do with my original point I can't work out.
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 am

Costa Alegria wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Languages are cheap subjects to teach when compared to science for example. You of all people should remember that nep. All you need is a text book and a teacher to offer a language, that is not expencive.

You need more than a textbook and someone who can speak the language.

Tell that to Africa!
Slava Ukraini

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 am

Great Nepal wrote:Teacher should ideally be native in language and be able to speak English fluently...

You know that about 90% of foreign language teachers around the world are not native speakers? even my private school that could offer more money only had 3 native language speakers out of around 15 language teachers. The second point is a given but quite what it has to do with my original point I can't work out.

Yes, most are like that however to teach complex languages that is no where enough. Expenses are going to be high...
Either way, how about Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine? If I put this will you sponsor, costa?

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:18 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Yes, most are like that however to teach complex languages that is no where enough. Expenses are going to be high...
Either way, how about Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine? If I put this will you sponsor, costa?

Why not make it mandatory to take a language but leave it up to the schools to decide what they offer?
Slava Ukraini

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:25 am

Great Nepal wrote:

I'm not happy about continued inclusion of Chinese and you haven't replied to my explanation of Classical Studies.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!

Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 am

Costa Alegria wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Yes, most are like that however to teach complex languages that is no where enough. Expenses are going to be high...

I'm not happy about continued inclusion of Chinese

I want to keep Chinese, I have included all other subjects you wanted as well.

Costa Alegria wrote:and you haven't replied to my explanation of Classical Studies.

I did, I said I will add that in as optional subject.

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 am

Fine. I'll co-sponsor.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 am

Costa Alegria wrote:Fine. I'll co-sponsor.

Thanks.

Most updated act, and ready to be submitted to queue.
Educational Framework Establishment Act
Urgency: High| Drafted by: Great Nepal| Sponsors: Byzantium Imperial, Ainin, Mishmahig, Costa Alegria

Section 1 - Pre-primary Education
a) Pre-primary education shall refer to non-mandatory education, starting when child reaches age of three and lasting for three years.
b) Pre-primary education shall be for three consecutive years which shall be: Nursery, LKG, UKG.
c) Pre-primary education shall require following subjects to be taught in school. Any additional subjects may be taught at discretion of school governors.
i) Mathematics
ii) Science
iii) English
iv) Information Communication Technology
v) Arts

d) School day and week shall be decided at discretion of school governors ensuring appropriate time at home for healthy child development is ensured.

Section 2 - Primary Education
a) Primary education shall refer to mandatory education, starting when child reaches age of six and lasting for five years.
b) Primary education shall be for five consecutive years which shall be: year one, year two, year three, year four and year five.
c) Primary education shall require following subjects to be taught in school. Any additional subjects may be taught at discretion of school governors.
i) English
ii) Mathematics
iii) Physics
iv) Biology
v) Chemistry
vi) Computing (software development), or ICT (practical)
vii) History and Social Studies
viii) Arts
ix) One or more languages (Standardised Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine, schools may provide additional language)
x) Music (optional)
xi) Additional Mathematics (optional)
xii) Physical Education
xiii) Classical Studies (optional)

d) There shall be Province Level Examination (PLE), which shall be held at every province as established by government subdivision act.

Section 3 - Secondary Education
a) Secondary education shall refer to mandatory education, starting when child gets enough percentage in Provence Level Examination to be accepted by secondary school and lasting for five years.
b) Secondary education shall be for five consecutive years which shall be: year six, year seven, year eight, year nine and year ten.
c) Secondary education shall require following subjects to be taught in school. Any additional subjects may be taught at discretion of school governors.
i) English
ii) Mathematics
iii) Physics, or Additional sciences
iv) Biology, or Additional sciences
v) Chemistry, or Additional sciences
vi) Computing (software development), or ICT (practical)
vii) History
viii) Geography
ix) One or more languages (Standardised Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, Standard Arabic, French, German, Aurentine, schools may provide additional language)
x) Music (optional)
xi) Arts (optional)
xii) Additional Mathematics (optional)
xiii) Physical Education (optional)
xiv) Design And Technology (optional)
xv) Classical Studies (optional)
- Food Technology or,
- Product Design or,
- Electronics or,
- Graphics Design
xv) Social Studies (optional)

d) At end of the secondary education, there shall be School Leaving Certificate Examination (SLC), which shall be held at nationally.
e) Social Studies shall be taught with history as "history and social studies" for first two years of secondary school, then it shall be optional.

Section 3 - College
a) College shall refer to non-mandatory academics, starting when child gets enough percentage in School Leaving Certificate Examination to be accepted by college and lasting for two years.
b) Secondary education shall be for two consecutive or non-consecutive years which shall be: year eleven and year twelve.
c) College shall have final authority in regards to subjects they offer. Students are encouraged to choose four subjects.
d) Colleges are encouraged to work with universities while formulating their curriculum.
e) At end of college, there shall be University Entrance Examination (UEE), which shall be administered by group of top ten universities.

Section 4 - Business Education
a) Business Education shall refer to alternative to college as described in section 3.
b) Business shall manage this education to gain hands on experience and drive straight into working while gaining a qualification.
c) This shall provide qualification known as BETC, which shall be equivalent to associated UEE certificate.
d) Universities are not required to recognise BETC as qualification, neither are employers.

Section 5 - University
a) University shall refer to academic route after college, which shall be non-mandatory.
b) University shall have final authority in regards to the curriculum offered.
c) This shall provide qualification known as degree, provided university is accredited in acceding order of importance shall be:
i) Doctorate
ii) Masters
iii) Bachelors

Section 6 - Funding
a) In regards to primary and secondary school, government shall fund this entirely either through vouchers or public schooling.
b) In regards to college, those who achieve top 2.5% in SLC receive 100% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 5% in SLC receive 75% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 10% in SLC receive 50% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 15% in SLC receive 25% government funded scholarship.
c) In regards to university, those who achieve top 2.5% in UEE receive 100% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 5% in UEE receive 75% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 10% in UEE receive 50% government funded scholarship, those who achieve top 15% in UEE receive 25% government funded scholarship.
d) Universities shall not charge students more than £4784 for tuition fees, unless they are ranked in top ten universities in which case they are exempt from this cap.

Section 7 - Examination
a) This senate establishes school examination board, under ministry of education who shall produce, mark and evaluate School Leaving Certificate and Province Level examinations.
b) This senate establishes UEE examination board, which shall be administered by representative of top ten universities within the nation who shall produce, mark and evaluate UEE examinations.
c) Examination shall be marked to produce percentage by the respective examination board stated above.

Section 8 - Miscellaneous
a) Nothing in this act shall prevent creation of free schools, colleges or universities funded by charities or public schools funded by government.
b) School year shall start in January and end in December.
c) Creates Education and Training Inspectorate, modelled on Ofsted (England) to oversee curriculum and subject matter to ensure they are fit for purpose with similar responsibilities and authorities as Ofsted (England).

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 am

Is anybody interested in joining a British Union society?
Slava Ukraini

New Zepuha
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zepuha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Is anybody interested in joining a British Union society?

Possibly if given enough info.
| Mallorea and Riva should resign | Sic Semper Tyrannis |
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1372 ($337 with sales)
  • Games owned: 106
  • Games not played: 34 (32%)
  • Hours on record: 2,471h

Likes: Libertarians, Law Enforcement, NATO, Shinzo Abe, Taiwan, Angele Merkel, Ron Paul, Israel, Bernie Sanders
Dislikes: Russia, Palestine, Socialism, 'Feminism', Obama, Mitch Daniels, DHS, Mike Pence, UN

[13:31] <Koyro> I want to be cremated, my ashes put into a howitzer shell and fired at the White House.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 am

New Zepuha wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Is anybody interested in joining a British Union society?

Possibly if given enough info.

we Campaign for closer ties with the Britain the mother-country and adoption of their traditions and values because of our shared history.

I have made this the society's official anthem.

I vow to thee, my country

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me.
Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,
And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead.
I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
I haste to thee my mother, a son among thy sons.

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

Orchestral version.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:56 am

Screw the British.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

CTALNH
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 am

Byzantium Imperial wrote:

Screw the British.

Seconded
"This guy is a State socialist, which doesn't so much mean mass murder and totalitarianism as it means trying to have a strong state to lead the way out of poverty and towards a bright future. Strict state control of the economy is necessary to make the great leap forward into that brighter future, and all elements of society must be sure to contribute or else."
Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.64
Lawful Neutral/Lawful Evil half and half.
Authoritarian Extreme Leftist because fuck pre-existing Ideologies.
"Epicus Doomicus Metallicus"
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.
T.I.F: Trans Inclusionary Feminist

Jozef van Oostvoorne
Civilian

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jozef van Oostvoorne » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15 am

CTALNH wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:Screw the British.

Seconded

Thirded.
-☭ Senator for the Free Communists ☆-
Kalengian LGBT Pride
Proudly representing the constituency of Leliai.
Herrebrugh's Senate puppet.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

Jozef van Oostvoorne wrote:
CTALNH wrote:Seconded

Thirded.

Fourthed.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Liberated Counties
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Counties » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

If we're against joining NATO, Have we considered joining the Non-Aligned Movement?
I am a Liberal Capitalist living in the UK.

IIwiki Page | NStracker Page | Factbook

Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 am

Liberated Counties wrote:If we're against joining NATO, Have we considered joining the Non-Aligned Movement?

I think it would be redundant to join a group of non alligned nations just to prove we are non alligned. Besides it ties our hands to force us to remain non alligned, which defeats the purpose of being non alligned.

That was confusing on purpose.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am

People's Intelligence and Security Agency Creation Act (PISACA 2013)
Urgency: High| Drafted by: Kouralia | Sponsors: Malgrave, Free South Califras, Jozef van Oostvoorne

1) Preamble

REALISING the only intelligence services in our nation will be the implied Army Intelligence Corps et al.
UNDERSTANDING this is an inefficient state of affairs as these organisations are not intended to function in the same manner as a civilian intelligence service (e.g. The SS and SIS of the UK).
PROPOSING that the following be put forward.

2) Creation of a People's Intelligence and Security Agency

A - The current situation around the world shows that an intelligence service can be blinded by paranoia and other factors into losing sight of the reason for their creation. That being to protect the people of their nation from threats foreign and domestic who would overturn the popular mandate. For this reason they shall be known as the 'People's' ISA, to remind them that they should not seek to act outside of the popular interest. The Intelligence and Security sections of its name are obvious.
B - To further ensure accountability, the PISA will be partnered with a sub-organisation. While PISA will come under the *Home Secretary Position*, the Intelligence Accountability Agency will come under the Justice Minister, to add an additional separation.
C - Officials working for this agency shall be known by the catch-all term 'Officers', with ranks altering the honorific (e.g. Senior Intelligence Officer).

3) Jurisdiction/Powers of PISA and IAA

A - PISA shall be divided into separate subdivisions for Internal and External security, to avoid conflicts of interest. Direct liaison between these departments will be facilitated by failing to create any organisation devoted to liaising.
B - PISA Officers shall not have powers to arrest or detain individuals beyond that of a civilian. The National Gendarmerie and National Police Force maintains enough materiel and men to do so. PISA's primary remit shall be surveillance, information gathering, interaction with foreign services and full maintenance of the 'Cyber-Security' aspects of the nation's defenses.
C - PISA Officers are determined to have no legal authority in any foreign nation unless explicitly by that nation's recognised government. No pretenses of 'legitimate action' in a foreign nation shall be made unless that condition is met.
D - The Intelligence Accountability Agency has full authority to investigate the actions of the PISA wherever it is determined that PISA may have breached professional standards.
E - PISA is in no way exempted from any laws covering professional practices of Law Enforcement, Judicial, Military etc. organisations. Should it be found to have breached one of these practices (e.g. Torture or Execution), then the full force of the law shall be applied as if it were any other civilian.

4) Emblems, Livery and Equipment

A - It is highly recommended that PISA and the IAA create distinctive emblems/seals for their respective organisations. The design of such is not to be decided upon by the Senate, as such is too trivial a matter, however the organisation itself can and will create such an emblem.
B - It is strongly recommended that the PISA does not create any distinctive livery for their vehicles as they have no official purpose which might require immediate identification in the same manner as a Police Constabulary.
C - As PISA is not an armed branch of government, and lacks any authority to arrest citizenry or perform any active actions (such as counter-terrorist raids) against the populace, the Agency shall not be armed by any central or local government level's budget.

Intelligence Agency, thoughts?
Last edited by Kouralia on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kouralia:

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am

You are aware there's a massive difference between an intelligence officer and an intelligence agent?
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives