NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

The Grand Republic of Hannover wrote:
Hmm. How about act of treason when government research was sabotaged. When private individuals are involved, then that charge is out, but the private individual could press charges for vandalism and manslaughter

In addition to the charges of vandalism to public property that the government could charge if it was partly involved in the research

Good...

So how about

1)"Anyone found to have attempted to sabotage, or has sabotaged a spaceship is liable to (attempted) manslaughter, treason, and vandalism charges, depending on the circumstances"
i) A suspect is charged with treason if said spaceship is involved, no matter the degree, in a government research program.
ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage
iii) A private citizen related with the incident may also press charges on the suspect independent of the government

Emmanuel Bassil
Independent
Last edited by Belhorizon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belhorizon National News: BREAKING: Military Intervention declared in Frojo. More details here.

Official Website (Work in progress)

The Grand Republic of Hannover
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Hmm. How about act of treason when government research was sabotaged. When private individuals are involved, then that charge is out, but the private individual could press charges for vandalism and manslaughter

That would be good, but pressing manslaughter charges should come to the government
Let's say the person who died on that ship was an enemy of the owner, he can choose not to press charges.

Always think in that loophole, worst case scenario mentality.

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

That's true. Wouldn't it be in the judgement of the prosecutor and the Court?
NSG - Independent. Senator Daniel Krumholz
1870 Real-World RP - Colombia
2014 RP - Colombia
Marsisian Communist Revolution - Hannover
1913 RP - Great Britain

You may also contact me at Here

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Belhorizon wrote:

That would be good, but pressing manslaughter charges should come to the government
Let's say the person who died on that ship was an enemy of the owner, he can choose not to press charges.

Always think in that loophole, worst case scenario mentality.

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

The Government is the body that presses charges, not the court

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent
Last edited by Belhorizon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belhorizon National News: BREAKING: Military Intervention declared in Frojo. More details here.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Belhorizon wrote:

The Government is the body that presses charges, not the court

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Oops. Sorry. Then to the judgement of the Government?
In the case that a person destroyed the artifact in order to protect the research, because an enemy tried to steal it, then I guess that would be heroism, rather than a crime
2014 RP - Colombia
1913 RP - Great Britain

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Exactly.
'Keep it fluid.

I typed a draft clause. I guess you overlooked it since we're still debating what was completed :P

Belhorizon wrote:
In addition to the charges of vandalism to public property that the government could charge if it was partly involved in the research

Good...

So how about

1)"Anyone found to have attempted to sabotage, or has sabotaged a spaceship is liable to (attempted) manslaughter, treason, and vandalism charges, depending on the circumstances"
i) A suspect is charged with treason if said spaceship is involved, no matter the degree, in a government research program.
ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage
iii) A private citizen related with the incident may also press charges on the suspect independent of the government

Emmanuel Bassil
Independent

Emphasis mine.

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Belhorizon wrote:Exactly.
'Keep it fluid.

I typed a draft clause. I guess you overlooked it since we're still debating what was completed :P

Belhorizon wrote:

Good...

So how about

Emmanuel Bassil
Independent

Emphasis mine.

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Oops, yea, I didn't see that sorry (I am online from a phone right now)
Yea, that sounds good! How could we add that to the bill (if no one is against this)? Or do we have to re-do it again?
2014 RP - Colombia
1913 RP - Great Britain

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 pm

I think the writer of the bill can add it to the bill itself.
However, I'd like to develop the bill a bit more.

Would the writer be so kind to re post the bill with the amendment (If you accept it of course :P)

EDIT: I TGed Ainin

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent
Last edited by Belhorizon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Belhorizon wrote:I think the writer of the bill can add it to the bill itself.
However, I'd like to develop the bill a bit more.

Would the writer be so kind to re post the bill with the amendment (If you accept it of course :P)

EDIT: I TGed Ainin

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Yea. Of course :) we need to develop it more; some more debate and stuff
2014 RP - Colombia
1913 RP - Great Britain

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 pm

We'll await Ainin's response before proceeding then.

I look forward to working with all of you. I love law writing :P

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent
Last edited by Belhorizon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razhtigr
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Razhtigr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I would include Murder as a possible charge, if someone willfully sabatoges the spacecraft with the intent of destroying it, and takes actions that demonstrate pre-meditation that results in the death of anyone associated with the vehicle itself including astronauts and ground crew.
Last edited by Razhtigr on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: -6.75; -5.28
[N.E.A.R-FT]
Red-Green Party(NSG Senate)

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Razhtigr wrote:I would include Murder as a possible charge, if someone willfully sabatoges the spacecraft with the intent of destroying it, and takes actions that demonstrate pre-meditation.

I think it would work as manslaughter, but for the sake of thoroughness

1)"Anyone found to have attempted to sabotage, or has sabotaged a spaceship is liable to (attempted) manslaughter, (attempted, premeditated)murder, treason, and vandalism charges, depending on the circumstances"
ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter,murder and/or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Razhtigr
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Razhtigr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Belhorizon wrote:
Razhtigr wrote:I would include Murder as a possible charge, if someone willfully sabatoges the spacecraft with the intent of destroying it, and takes actions that demonstrate pre-meditation.

I think it would work as manslaughter, but for the sake of thoroughness

1)"Anyone found to have attempted to sabotage, or has sabotaged a spaceship is liable to (attempted) manslaughter, (attempted, premeditated)murder, treason, and vandalism charges, depending on the circumstances"
ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter,murder and/or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent

Manslaughter seems a bit light if someone plans and executes an act of sabotage that results in death. That to me seems an awful lot like pe-meditated murder.
Political Compass: -6.75; -5.28
[N.E.A.R-FT]
Red-Green Party(NSG Senate)

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I added it...
We should develop the entire bill as such.
"This developed clause will stick out like a sore thumb

Emmanuel Bassil,
Independent
Last edited by Belhorizon on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Belhorizon wrote:

Good...

So how about

Unnecessary/redundant. They're already liable to these if they have committed them. Also a definition for sabotage would not go amiss.
Belhorizon wrote: i) A suspect is charged with treason if said spaceship is involved, no matter the degree, in a government research program.

Aaaand you've lost my vote.
Belhorizon wrote: ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage

Belhorizon wrote: iii) A private citizen related with the incident may also press charges on the suspect independent of the government

Again, I'm pretty sure these can already be done.

Sorry if this is a bit of a Senate baptism of fire for you.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Belhorizon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Belhorizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Fulflood wrote:
Belhorizon wrote:

Good...

So how about

Unnecessary/redundant. They're already liable to these if they have committed them. Also a definition for sabotage would not go amiss.
Belhorizon wrote: i) A suspect is charged with treason if said spaceship is involved, no matter the degree, in a government research program.

Aaaand you've lost my vote.
Belhorizon wrote: ii) The Government also accordingly presses manslaughter or vandalism charges in assessment of the material and human amage

Belhorizon wrote: iii) A private citizen related with the incident may also press charges on the suspect independent of the government

Again, I'm pretty sure these can already be done.

Sorry if this is a bit of a Senate baptism of fire for you.

Don't worry...
So how do you suggest amending it?

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Revised RAIA

Research and Astronomy Improvement Act
Urgency: Low | Drafted By: Ainin (Minister of Research of Astronomy) | Sponsors: Strykla, Yanalia, Greater Pokarnia, Vistulange

The Senate of Aurentina,

Noting that the executive cabinet ministry by the name of the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is tasked with the duty of managing and sponsoring scientific research in Aurentina, providing funding to specialized research agencies alongside providing oversight to the space program and facilitating funding for research and space programs,

Reaffirming that the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is to promote and support scientific developments and aerospatial exploration through financial, social and diplomatic channels,

Section I: Funding
A) 7% of the annual budget of the Ministry is to be held in trust by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance as a "rainy-day fund"
B) A rainy-day fund is defined for the purpose of this law as a reserved amount of money to be used in times when regular income is decreased in order for typical operations to continue
C) The minister responsible or the prime minister may activate the fund at any time if they feel that operations may severely be affected without the additional funding

Section II: Accounting
A) The office of Ombudsman for the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is created to investigate rights violation and maladministration complaints filed by Aurentine citizens and enterprises
B) The Ombudsman is appointed by the Minister of Justice and approved by the President of Aurentina
C) The Ombudsman is to have a university degree in accounting and is responsible for auditing the ministry at least twice a year

Section III: Astronaut Selection
A) The term astronaut is defined for the purpose of this law as an Aurentine public servant trained by a human spaceflight program to command, pilot, or serve as a crew member of a spacecraft
B) Astronauts are selected among any candidates who present their names, along with the appropriate forms, less than 30 days after the job offering is posted
C) Candidates must not have any history of violent or uncontrollable mental or physical disorder, a derelict or felony on their criminal record
D) Candidates may not be rejected on basis of sex, race, religion or any category that does not impede the ability or performance of the person
E) Selected candidates must finish the two-month training camp and pass a written test

Section IV: Security and Protection
A) All astronauts are to be trained in emergency situation management in case of incident onboard a spacecraft
B) Attempts to sabotage a spaceship is classified as (attempted) manslaughter and/or vandalism, depending on the circumstances and the assessment of the material and human damage
C) Accidentally disabling functions of a spacecraft leading to fatalities is classified as reckless endangerment
D) Scientists and contractors found to be deliberately misleading ministry officials with the aim of receiving money from the government will be charged with fraud
E) The Ministry of Transportation is tasked with investigating accidents and incidents onboard or involving spacecraft

Concluding that this act provides an adequate plan for scientific development in Aurentina,

Hereby Passes the Research and Astronomy Improvement Act
Last edited by Ainin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | Wiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:06 pm

How would people feel about including Technology into this department?

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Battlion wrote:How would people feel about including Technology into this department?

Define technology. Seems vague.

-MoRA
Last edited by Ainin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Ainin wrote:Revised RAIA

Research and Astronomy Improvement Act
Urgency: Low | Drafted By: Ainin (Minister of Research of Astronomy) | Sponsors: Strykla, Yanalia, Greater Pokarnia, Vistulange

The Senate of Aurentina,

Noting that the executive cabinet ministry by the name of the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is tasked with the duty of managing and sponsoring scientific research in Aurentina, providing funding to specialized research agencies alongside providing oversight to the space program and facilitating funding for research and space programs,

Reaffirming that the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is to promote and support scientific developments and aerospatial exploration through financial, social and diplomatic channels,

Section I: Funding
A) 7% of the annual budget of the Ministry is to be held in trust by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance as a "rainy-day fund"
B) A rainy-day fund is defined for the purpose of this law as a reserved amount of money to be used in times when regular income is decreased in order for typical operations to continue
C) The minister responsible or the prime minister may activate the fund at any time if they feel that operations may severely be affected without the additional funding

Section II: Accounting
A) The office of Ombudsman for the Ministry of Research and Astronomy is created to investigate rights violation and maladministration complaints filed by Aurentine citizens and enterprises
B) The Ombudsman is appointed by the Minister of Justice and approved by the President of Aurentina
C) The Ombudsman is to have a university degree in accounting and is responsible for auditing the ministry at least twice a year

Section III: Astronaut Selection
A) The term astronaut is defined for the purpose of this law as an Aurentine public servant trained by a human spaceflight program to command, pilot, or serve as a crew member of a spacecraft
B) Astronauts are selected among any candidates who present their names, along with the appropriate forms, less than 30 days after the job offering is posted
C) Candidates must not have any history of violent or uncontrollable mental or physical disorder, a derelict or felony on their criminal record
D) Candidates may not be rejected on basis of sex, race, religion or any category that does not impede the ability or performance of the person
E) Selected candidates must finish the two-month training camp and pass a written test

Section IV: Security and Protection
A) All astronauts are to be trained in emergency situation management in case of incident onboard a spacecraft
B) Attempts to sabotage a spaceship is classified as (attempted) manslaughter and/or vandalism, depending on the circumstances and the assessment of the material and human damage
C) Accidentally disabling functions of a spacecraft leading to fatalities is classified as reckless endangerment
D) Scientists and contractors found to be deliberately misleading ministry officials with the aim of receiving money from the government will be charged with fraud
E) The Ministry of Transportation is tasked with investigating accidents and incidents onboard or involving spacecraft

Concluding that this act provides an adequate plan for scientific development in Aurentina,

Hereby Passes the Research and Astronomy Improvement Act

Removed treason since it's silly.

Battlion
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlion » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Ainin wrote:
Battlion wrote:How would people feel about including Technology into this department?

Define technology. Seems vague.

-MoRA

Internet, Telecoms etc... it's very wide but I think it will expand the point of the department and keep the Minister busy.

Mediciano
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediciano » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Wouldn't intentionally sabotaging a manned spacecraft be attempted murder? If someone hi-jacks an aircraft with the intent to drive it into the ground or disable it, would that be considered "manslaughter or vandalism"?

Bleckonia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bleckonia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Mediciano wrote:Wouldn't intentionally sabotaging a manned spacecraft be attempted murder? If someone hi-jacks an aircraft with the intent to drive it into the ground or disable it, would that be considered "manslaughter or vandalism"?

Does anyone agree with me that space exploration is a waste of money at this point?
Economic Left: -9.13; Social Libertarian: -6.26
Atheist. Marxist-Leninist. Anti-consumerist.
Revolutionary Socialist Party of Fernão, Workers of the world, unite!

Mitonesia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mitonesia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Mediciano wrote:Wouldn't intentionally sabotaging a manned spacecraft be attempted murder? If someone hi-jacks an aircraft with the intent to drive it into the ground or disable it, would that be considered "manslaughter or vandalism"?

It could be a planned unmanned flight which was invaded.
Senator Alexandre Ruisseau Mitonesia (Weilënze, Constituency 169)
Member of the New Democrats

I'm portuguese and male.
My nation and my senator are a good mirror of my political/social beliefs (There might be things I don't agree with anymore). For general topics regarding my view on politics and such head there.

Mediciano
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediciano » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Mitonesia wrote:

It could be a planned unmanned flight which was invaded.

In which case it is Destruction of Private/Government Property. Although I did specify "manned."
Last edited by Mediciano on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamchastkia
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Bleckonia wrote:

Does anyone agree with me that space exploration is a waste of money at this point?

It's not. Period.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives