NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Coffee Shop [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:I'd like to co-sponsor. While I voted in opposition to joining NATO, due to the possible obligations it would impose on our country, I will vote in favor of this proposal.

What is the difference between NATO military operations and UN ones?

They're not nearly as large, and are normally for less controversial purposes.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Because none of them, as far as we are aware, died in any manner that can be construed as "heroic." They were simply, though unfortunatly, caught in a blast. they did not attempt some act of vrave defiance to save bunnies or some such thing. Should evidence appear that one or more of the victims did attempt or achieve heroism, then we may idolize them. But not now.

Despite the threats of the terror attack, they were serving this nation after senate hours and they died while serving this nation. That deserves some recognition.

Yes, as the tragic victims of a terror campaign. As the faces of innocence lost due to the evils of terror. Perhaps even as models of civic service in the face of threats not all know exist. But not as heroes.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Despite the threats of the terror attack, they were serving this nation after senate hours and they died while serving this nation. That deserves some recognition.

Yes, as the tragic victims of a terror campaign. As the faces of innocence lost due to the evils of terror. Perhaps even as models of civic service in the face of threats not all know exist. But not as heroes.

Fine, would you support it if the sentence was changed to this "This senate therefore commends all the victims of most recent terrorist attack in senate as models of civic service in the face of threats"?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Wed May 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

While im opposed to military operations for either, the UN is certainly tr lesser of two evils. They are incompetent and useless, but well meaning

As of yet i have not decided on un membership
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

I disagree on the principle of national sovereignty. I believe that we need complete control of our armed forces. I do not believe in global government.
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

I suppose you can get away with that sir. :p
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 pm

For all those wondering, This is one of the two aims of the petition

Justice for the 18!
The signatories also call for compensation for the families of all those killed and injured by the tragedy. Also for an official and unreserved apology from the minister and the government admitting to serious failures within his department. Also for a monument to be put up outside the rebuilt senate to remind future generations of their sacrifice in serving this great nation. All persons involved from the bombers themselves to slack members of the ministry of the interior to be properly held to account in a court of law.
Slava Ukraini

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:For all those wondering, This is one of the two aims of the petition

Justice for the 18!
The signatories also call for compensation for the families of all those killed and injured by the tragedy. Also for an official and unreserved apology from the minister and the government admitting to serious failures within his department. Also for a monument to be put up outside the rebuilt senate to remind future generations of their sacrifice in serving this great nation. All persons involved from the bombers themselves to slack members of the ministry of the interior to be properly held to account in a court of law.

Senator, please do these poor victims a favor and stop exploiting tragedies for political gain.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed May 29, 2013 2:54 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:For all those wondering, This is one of the two aims of the petition

Justice for the 18!

The Minister of Interior did nothing wrong. This systematic failure should not be blamed on the Minister, as he does not control law enforcement and does not have any mandate to prevent terrorism under current legislation. I urge my fellow senators to disregard this politically-motivated witch hunt.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | Wiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:They're not nearly as large, and are normally for less controversial purposes.

Plus, joining NATO was supposed to be a cost saving measure at first, we'd be like Iceland, have US bases on our soil, but have no real standing army (or a quite small one). Eventually, some people began to punt around the idea that we should have a large army, be part of NATO, and be active in places like Afghanistan... no thanks!
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:

Plus, joining NATO was supposed to be a cost saving measure at first, we'd be like Iceland, have US bases on our soil, but have no real standing army (or a quite small one). Eventually, some people began to punt around the idea that we should have a large army, be part of NATO, and be active in places like Afghanistan... no thanks!

We could join NATO, and then vote against budget authorization to have large army or be involved in places like Afghanistan.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Plus, joining NATO was supposed to be a cost saving measure at first, we'd be like Iceland, have US bases on our soil, but have no real standing army (or a quite small one). Eventually, some people began to punt around the idea that we should have a large army, be part of NATO, and be active in places like Afghanistan... no thanks!

We could join NATO, and then vote against budget authorization to have large army or be involved in places like Afghanistan.

I don't think they'll let us do that

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Plus, joining NATO was supposed to be a cost saving measure at first, we'd be like Iceland, have US bases on our soil, but have no real standing army (or a quite small one). Eventually, some people began to punt around the idea that we should have a large army, be part of NATO, and be active in places like Afghanistan... no thanks!

Or we could cut out the middle man so to speak and not join nato. Who is going to attack us anyway!?!
Last edited by Byzantium Imperial on Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

I'd rather we not risk the chance. We'll have to work from that position if the NATO resolution passes, however.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:We could join NATO, and then vote against budget authorization to have large army or be involved in places like Afghanistan.

I'd rather we not risk the chance. We'll have to work from that position if the NATO resolution passes, however.

We could have a bill that requires referendum to go to non defensive war. If we pass this and resumbit NATO proposal, will you support it?

Belmaria wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:We could join NATO, and then vote against budget authorization to have large army or be involved in places like Afghanistan.

They can not stop us voting, senator.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:I'd rather we not risk the chance. We'll have to work from that position if the NATO resolution passes, however.

We could have a bill that requires referendum to go to non defensive war. If we pass this and resumbit NATO proposal, will you support it?

Belmaria wrote:I don't think they'll let us do that

They can kick us out of NATO

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Ainin wrote:

Justice for the 18!

The Minister of Interior did nothing wrong. This systematic failure should not be blamed on the Minister, as he does not control law enforcement and does not have any mandate to prevent terrorism under current legislation. I urge my fellow senators to disregard this politically-motivated witch hunt.

I think you need to have a look at the responsibilities for the ministry for the interior. It is responsible for internal security of this nation, that would include the prevention of terrorism. To claim otherwise is perverse.
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Belmaria wrote:

No they wont, you are right. They would be very unhappy with us and may kick us out.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Wed May 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:I'd rather we not risk the chance. We'll have to work from that position if the NATO resolution passes, however.

Belmaria wrote:I don't think they'll let us do that

I suppose, though I don't see the point. There is no great threat to our country at this time.

If we were in the 1970s/80s and there were hundreds of Warsaw Pact Motor-Rifle and Tank divisions across the Iron Curtain, I would be more inclined to support NATO membership.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Wed May 29, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Ainin wrote:The Minister of Interior did nothing wrong. This systematic failure should not be blamed on the Minister, as he does not control law enforcement and does not have any mandate to prevent terrorism under current legislation. I urge my fellow senators to disregard this politically-motivated witch hunt.

I think you need to have a look at the responsibilities for the ministry for the interior. It is responsible for internal security of this nation, that would include the prevention of terrorism. To claim otherwise is perverse.

No legislation has been passed giving the Minister of the Interiors any executive authority whatsoever. As I have already shown, the Republican Executive Act mandates that all executive authority for the Ministers be created by law. No such laws have been passed.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Yanalia wrote:

No legislation has been passed giving the Minister of the Interiors any executive authority whatsoever. As I have already shown, the Republican Executive Act mandates that all executive authority for the Ministers be created by law. No such laws have been passed.

It's called the ministry foundation act. Its sets out the duty and responsibilities of each ministry. The republican executive act gives ministers the executive power.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Wed May 29, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Yanalia wrote:

It's called the ministry foundation act. Its sets out the duty and responsibilities of each ministry.

Show me where that Act gives the Minister control over the police or any other direct authority. It only specifies duties, but not abilities. And according to the Republican Executive Act, all abilities must be explicitly defined by law.

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Yanalia wrote:
It's called the ministry foundation act. Its sets out the duty and responsibilities of each ministry.

Show me where that Act gives the Minister control over the police or any other direct authority. It only specifies duties, but not abilities. And according to the Republican Executive Act, all abilities must be explicitly defined by law.

"The Ministry of Interiors, with the duty of policing the nation, ensuring national security, supervise local governments, elections and immigration."
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Yanalia wrote:

"The Ministry of Interiors, with the duty of policing the nation, ensuring national security, supervise local governments, elections and immigration."

That is the duty. But it does not give the Minister any powers. The Minister can only accomplish that duty using legal methods. At the moment, the Minister has no available legal methods.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Yanalia wrote:

That is the duty. But it does not give the Minister any powers. The Minister can only accomplish that duty using legal methods. At the moment, the Minister has no available legal methods.

This if from the rep executive act;

"I. The executive power of the NSG state shall be vested in a President and a Council of Ministers"
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives