NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Coffee Shop [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am

Agritum wrote:Speaking of other things, viewtopic.php?p=14698557#p14698557

NEIN, NEIN NEIN! Although I love queen, I believe it is wise to have OT's original suggestion.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Agritum wrote:Speaking of other things, viewtopic.php?p=14698557#p14698557

I think I made my opinion quite clear.

You are free to make a counter-bill proposing Reise Reise as our national anthem, Senator.

Albul
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 am

How about One by U2 or Under Pressure by Queen?
Impeach Pompey. Legalize Monarchy. Assassination is Theft. Julius Caesar 44 B.C.E.
Straight 17 year old male
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
Welcome to the Internet
A specter is haunting 'Merika. It is the specter of communism.
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Mall should redesign

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 am

Krookland wrote:I will co-sponsor it.
Propably not.

Why not?

Belmaria wrote:Terrorism is defined as the use of violence and intimidation to pursue political aims? That could mean anything. If I get mad at a communist and slap him in the face, I shouldn't get life in prison for it. If I speak in an angry tone about politics, would that not technically be using intimidation to pursue political aims? Should I be put away for life because some people felt intimidated by my speech? I think this needs more clarification before I can support it.

Okay how about this definition from Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism?
"Any person commits an offence within the meaning of this Convention if that person, by any means, unlawfully and intentionally, causes:
(a) Death or serious bodily injury to any person; or
(b) Serious damage to public or private property, including a place of public use, a State or government facility, a public transportation system, an infrastructure facility or the environment; or
(c) Damage to property, places, facilities, or systems referred to in paragraph1 (b) of this article, resulting or likely to result in major economic loss,
when the purpose of the conduct, by its nature or context, is to intimidate a population, or to compel a Government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act"
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Krookland wrote:I will co-sponsor it.
Propably not.

Why not?

Belmaria wrote:Terrorism is defined as the use of violence and intimidation to pursue political aims? That could mean anything. If I get mad at a communist and slap him in the face, I shouldn't get life in prison for it. If I speak in an angry tone about politics, would that not technically be using intimidation to pursue political aims? Should I be put away for life because some people felt intimidated by my speech? I think this needs more clarification before I can support it.

Okay how about this definition from Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism?
"Any person commits an offence within the meaning of this Convention if that person, by any means, unlawfully and intentionally, causes:
(b) Serious damage to public or private property, including a place of public use, a State or government facility, a public transportation system, an infrastructure facility or the environment; or
(c) Damage to property, places, facilities, or systems referred to in paragraph1 (b) of this article, resulting or likely to result in major economic loss,
when the purpose of the conduct, by its nature or context, is to intimidate a population, or to compel a Government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act"

Okay, that would be acceptable. Add that in and I'll co-sponsor.
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Emergency anti-terrorism and anti-treason act
Urgency: Most Urgent| Drafted by: Great Nepal| Co-sponsors: Disserbia, Grenartia

In light of recent attack on the senate, and loopholes in the laws has been exposed which prevents detention of the terrorists, it has been obvious that an act to deal with these special kind of criminals are needed. Recognising this, by powers vested in this senate, it is hereby enacted such that,
Section 1- Definition
When used in this act, following terms will have meaning as stated in this section and any other disputes as to meaning of terms shall be dealt with by Oxford dictionary (link: http://oxforddictionaries.com/).
Charging someone shall be defined as process where individuals suspected of act of terrorism are formally accused of something.
Terrorism shall be defined as the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Treason shall be defined as the crime of betraying one’s country.
Conspiracy to commit terrorism shall be defined as a secret plan by a group to commit act of terrorism.
Conspiracy to commit treason shall be defined as a secret plan by a group to commit act of treason.

Section 2 - Charges
When indivudal is suspected with reasonable cause for suspicion of terrorism, treason or conspiracy to commit any of aforementioned crimes shall be when a police constables state "You are being arrested on suspicion of <insert appropriate crime>. You have the right to remain silent, however anything you do say can and could be taken down and be used in a court of law against you. beware of failing to mention something now which you later rely on in a Court of Law. You have the right to Legal Assistance". Then, they shall be detained for 24 hours before they must be presented to the court as established in section 3.

Section 3 - Court
Court to deal with treason and terrorism shall be established, which shall be known as "Curia Subitis" which shall be composed of seven judges who will judge the evidence presented to them by prosecution and defence before determining guilt or innocence of the indivudal by unanimous vote. If unanimity can not be reached, prosecution and defence will be allowed to present their case again and case may be decided by super-majority if unanimity can not be reached.

Section 4 - Sentencing
Once found guilty, the criminal must be sentenced between following boundaries, unless agreed otherwise between prosecution and defence.
Treason or conspiracy of thereof: 35 years to remainder of his or her natural life.
Terrorism or conspiracy of thereof: Remainder of his or her natural life

Section 5 - Relation to Judicial Act
This bill does not require nor mandates passage of Judicial Act, purposed by senator Wolfmanne however it does strongly recommend its passage.
- Should justice act be passed, all aforementioned crimes shall be classified as felony as defined in Judicial Act.
- Should justice act be passed, this court shall have ranks equal to Court of Assize despite of its additional number of judges.
- Should justice act be passed, appeals must be made as defined in the justice act.
- Should justice act not pass, appeals may be made to European Court of Human Rights by either side as last resort

Any thoughts and co-sponsors?

What a nice enabling act?

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am

Albul wrote:How about One by U2 or Under Pressure by Queen?

Nice suggestions. I'll look into them.

Albul
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Urgency: Most Urgent| Drafted by: Great Nepal| Co-sponsors: Disserbia, Grenartia

In light of recent attack on the senate, and loopholes in the laws has been exposed which prevents detention of the terrorists, it has been obvious that an act to deal with these special kind of criminals are needed. Recognising this, by powers vested in this senate, it is hereby enacted such that,
Section 1- Definition
When used in this act, following terms will have meaning as stated in this section and any other disputes as to meaning of terms shall be dealt with by Oxford dictionary (link: http://oxforddictionaries.com/&#41;.
Charging someone shall be defined as process where individuals suspected of act of terrorism are formally accused of something.
Terrorism shall be defined as the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Conspiracy to commit terrorism shall be defined as a secret plan by a group to commit act of terrorism.
Conspiracy to commit treason shall be defined as a secret plan by a group to commit act of treason.

Section 2 - Charges
When indivudal is suspected with reasonable cause for suspicion of terrorism, treason or conspiracy to commit any of aforementioned crimes shall be when a police constables state "You are being arrested on suspicion of <insert appropriate crime>. You have the right to remain silent, however anything you do say can and could be taken down and be used in a court of law against you. beware of failing to mention something now which you later rely on in a Court of Law. You have the right to Legal Assistance". Then, they shall be detained for 24 hours before they must be presented to the court as established in section 3.

Section 3 - Court
Court to deal with treason and terrorism shall be established, which shall be known as "Curia Subitis" which shall be composed of seven judges who will judge the evidence presented to them by prosecution and defence before determining guilt or innocence of the indivudal by unanimous vote. If unanimity can not be reached, prosecution and defence will be allowed to present their case again and case may be decided by super-majority if unanimity can not be reached.

Section 4 - Sentencing
Once found guilty, the criminal must be sentenced between following boundaries, unless agreed otherwise between prosecution and defence.
Treason or conspiracy of thereof: 35 years to remainder of his or her natural life.

This bill does not require nor mandates passage of Judicial Act, purposed by senator Wolfmanne however it does strongly recommend its passage.
- Should justice act be passed, all aforementioned crimes shall be classified as felony as defined in Judicial Act.
- Should justice act be passed, this court shall have ranks equal to Court of Assize despite of its additional number of judges.
- Should justice act be passed, appeals must be made as defined in the justice act.
- Should justice act not pass, appeals may be made to European Court of Human Rights by either side as last resort

Might as well copy and paste the PATRIOT Act...
Impeach Pompey. Legalize Monarchy. Assassination is Theft. Julius Caesar 44 B.C.E.
Political Compass
Welcome to the Internet
NSG Summertime
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
Mall should redesign

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 am

Albul wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:

Section 1- Definition
When used in this act, following terms will have meaning as stated in this section and any other disputes as to meaning of terms shall be dealt with by Oxford dictionary (link: http://oxforddictionaries.com/&#41;.

Section 2 - Charges

Section 3 - Court

Section 4 - Sentencing

How is that?

The IASM
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 am

Agritum wrote:
Albul wrote:How about One by U2 or Under Pressure by Queen?

Nice suggestions. I'll look into them.

Supremacy by Muse?
HUN-01

Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 am

Albul wrote:Might as well copy and paste the PATRIOT Act...

How is this PATRIOT Act in any way shape or form?

The Republic of Lanos wrote:What a nice enabling act?

Hows this enabling act at all?

Urgency: Most Urgent| Drafted by: Great Nepal| Co-sponsors: Disserbia, Grenartia, Divair, Belmaria, Albul, Rohamistan

Section 1- Definition
Terrorism shall be defined as described below:-
An offence which by any means, unlawfully and intentionally, causes:
when the purpose of the conduct, by its nature or context, is to intimidate a population, or to compel a Government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act

Section 2 - Charges

Section 3 - Court

Section 4 - Sentencing

Last edited by Great Nepal on Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Albul
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 am

That's better...
Political Compass
Welcome to the Internet
NSG Summertime
Mall should redesign

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 am

Albul wrote:That's better...

Would you sponsor it?

Albul
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albul » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

Sure... why not?
Political Compass
Welcome to the Internet
NSG Summertime
Mall should redesign

The IASM
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am

Also update on the bomb thread, Senator Lucius has just been the victim of an assassination attempt.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=243549&p=14713204#p14713204
HUN-01

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am

With that we have enough to send it to chambers, unless there are any objections in next half an hour.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 am

Albul wrote:
Divair wrote:Mandatory Exercise Act?

Yes, to prevent obesity, and to increase the fitness of our nation, I propose a Mandatory Exercise Act.

Opposed.

Albul wrote:
Mandatory Exercise Act

1) All citizens of Aurentina must engage in physical activity for at least 7 hours in a one-week period.

Something like that... for starters...

For starters, its totalitarian and unenforceable.

Albul wrote:Then how about the abolishment of toothpaste regulation?

We should allow toothpaste companies to add addictive substances into their toothpaste so that people would want to brush their teeth more often. In that manner, we would have a nation that can bite back when trouble is a-comin'.

No. Regulation is a GOOD THING. All manufacturers that use known addictive substances should be required to label their products as such.

Albul wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:

Section 1- Definition

Section 2 - Charges

Section 3 - Court

Section 4 - Sentencing

Forgetting for a moment that this is NOTHING like the PATRIOT Act.

You support forcing people to exercise, and an un-regulated toothpaste industry that puts addictive substances in its products, but hate the PATRIOT Act? That's like a vegan that likes to eat bacon!

I can't even think of where your line is drawn.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Albul wrote:That's better...

Would you sponsor it?

I mentioned I would a page or two ago.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 am

Divair wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Would you sponsor it?

I mentioned I would a page or two ago.

Sorry for the oversight, I fixed it.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 am

Belmaria wrote:Economic Responsibility Act
Author: Belmaria
Co-sponsors: The Jahistic Unified Republic, Gaveo, Vedastia, Tsuken, Snabagag, Hippostania, Krookland

I'd like to co-sponsor this legislation. Thank you.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Belmaria wrote:Economic Responsibility Act
Author: Belmaria
Co-sponsors: The Jahistic Unified Republic, Gaveo, Vedastia, Tsuken, Snabagag, Hippostania, Krookland

I'd like to co-sponsor this legislation. Thank you.

Awesome! That puts us at 8 co-sponsors! Nothing can stop this train of political glory now!

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 am

Belmaria wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:I'd like to co-sponsor this legislation. Thank you.

Awesome! That puts us at 8 co-sponsors! Nothing can stop this train of political glory now!

After taking a closer look, I'll co-sponsor it too. My original opposition was due to misreading part of the bill.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Wed May 29, 2013 11:17 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Belmaria wrote:Awesome! That puts us at 8 co-sponsors! Nothing can stop this train of political glory now!

After taking a closer look, I'll co-sponsor it too. My original opposition was due to misreading part of the bill.

With so much support for this bill there's no way it could fail!

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 am

Belmaria wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:After taking a closer look, I'll co-sponsor it too. My original opposition was due to misreading part of the bill.

With so much support for this bill there's no way it could fail!

You've got 8 people so far. I'd guess that there are about 80 active senators. It's certainly not a sure thing.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Rohamistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rohamistan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Draft for consideration, please.

I know one bill was recently moved up in the queue, but that's...contrary to formal procedure, to say the least.

Which bill was this? And I believe that would render the vote on the bill unconstitutional, hence voiding the results of the vote.

Urgency: Most Urgent| Drafted by: Great Nepal| Co-sponsors: Disserbia, Grenartia, Divair

Section 1- Definition

Section 2 - Charges

Section 3 - Court

Section 4 - Sentencing

I'll co-sponsor.
Half-German, half-Iranian.

Proud member of The Classical Monarchist Party
-Deo, Regi, Patriae!

Once you're convinced of the truth, not even the truth can convince you.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Ghandi

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives