NATION

PASSWORD

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Good news guys, Giffords is breathing on her own now. Also, interestingly, they're now thinking that she was shot in the front of the head rather than from the back as was initially believed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41018273/ns ... alth_care/
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
Xsyne wrote:IQ is going up. Everywhere.

Except the USA.

Nope. Everywhere.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Geniasis wrote:Paul Krugman has written an Op-Ed in the New York Times that essentially echoes what we've been saying; even if the comments of the Tea Party did not directly cause Jared Loughner to shoot Congresswoman Giffords, the climate of hate they have created has made this possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/opini ... .html?_r=1

This should be a surprise to absolutely nobody. (Note: you may need to register with the NYTimes to read the article. It's not really imperative that you read it, just know that people in RL echo our sentiments).

EDIT: Interesting quote from former Bush speechwriter, "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”

EDIT2: Also an open letter to WFTL-AM (850) radio host Joyce Kaufman, whose incendiary political rhetoric included a Tea Party rally remark that "If ballots don't work, bullets will" (seriously, there's nothing ambiguous about this one): http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/ ... ooting.php

lol Krugman. Is this the same Kormrade Krugman asking for a housing bubble to cover up the Nasdaq bubble? :rofl: Yeah Im going take him seriously. Just like Bush isnt getting anything out of the Iraq War... Yup... :roll:
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:lol Krugman. Is this the same Kormrade Krugman asking for a housing bubble to cover up the Nasdaq bubble? :rofl: Yeah Im going take him seriously. Just like Bush isnt getting anything out of the Iraq War... Yup... :roll:

What a well-argued and well-supported rebuttal that clearly addressed the points being made rather than the person making them! Good job!
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Klamaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Klamaria » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Am I the only one who blames his actions on the 2012 doomsday people? Their anti government talk, saying that the Illuminati actively contol the government and are the enemies of humanity, certainly seems like it could influence a mentally I'll person into commmitting such violent acts. And unlike with the Tea Party accusation, we actually have evidence that he listened to the 2012 stuff.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Caninope wrote:Still not accurate. Only half of households, at most have guns, with most of those probably belonging to only one or two people in the households.

What? You have proved nothing in my post at all incorrect. The US has more guns than Switzerland, in real terms and per capita. Mercator Terra is wrong.

Mercator Terra wrote:They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.

Those are guns per capita, not percentage rate who own guns, an important distinction.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Caninope wrote:
South Norwega wrote:What? You have proved nothing in my post at all incorrect. The US has more guns than Switzerland, in real terms and per capita. Mercator Terra is wrong.

Those are guns per capita, not percentage rate who own guns, an important distinction.

Everyone owns a gun there. (being everyone is in the militia (im against mass conscription btw))
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Caninope wrote:
South Norwega wrote:What? You have proved nothing in my post at all incorrect. The US has more guns than Switzerland, in real terms and per capita. Mercator Terra is wrong.

Which was not what was being discussed.

The US has more guns. That is what I am saying. Marcator Terra said:

Mercator Terra wrote:They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.

The bolded is untrue. False.

Mercator Terra wrote:
Caninope wrote:Those are guns per capita, not percentage rate who own guns, an important distinction.

Everyone owns a gun there. (being everyone is in the militia (im against mass conscription btw))

No, they don't.

It's not possible.

Not at all.

There are 46 guns per hundred people in Switzerland. (From the top of my head)

Not everyone owns a gun.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:55 pm

On a personal note, the Arizona shooting took place two blocks from the home of my brother-in-law and his wife. They are safe, but they and their neighbors know some of the people who were killed and wounded.

I'd like to point out Rachel Maddow's superb response to this affair. I know that Maddow is widely disliked among conservatives, but it is noteworthy that she did not attempt to tie this incident to conservative militancy, which she has documented in past shows. Instead, she focused on another issue: The recurring nature of this sort of thing in America. Her drumbeat recital of the details of 15 previous incidents of this nature over the last 22 years (the span of Jerod Lee Laughner's lifetime) hammered that point home powerfully, but then - rather than segueing to an immediate call for gun control (the usual liberal response), she simply asked what the nation could do - if anything - to prevent such massacres in the future.

I would agree with Ms. Maddow: This is a conversation that we need to have, and we really need to make it an adult conversation rather than letting it descend into the usual political argument over gun control, health care, culture, video games, religion, or whatever.
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Caninope wrote:Those are guns per capita, not percentage rate who own guns, an important distinction.

Which was not what was being discussed.

Mercator Terra wrote:Everyone owns a gun there. (being everyone is in the militia (im against mass conscription btw))

No, they don't.

It's not possible.

Not at all.

Not everyone owns a gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi ... witzerland
Wrong
The personal weapon of militia is kept at home as part of the military obligations. Switzerland has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.
Vecherd wrote:

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
South Norwega wrote:Which was not what was being discussed.

No, they don't.

It's not possible.

Not at all.

Not everyone owns a gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi ... witzerland
Wrong
The personal weapon of militia is kept at home as part of the military obligations. Switzerland has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.

NOT EVERYONE OWNS A GUN.

That statement is not incorrect. You have not proved me wrong. I am completely correct. The facts support me. There are more guns in the US than Switzerland, per capita (and in the useless measure of real terms). Not everyone in Switzerland owns a gun. These are two completely unimportant facts about the world that are almost indisputably true and correct.

Your wikipedia article says that there are between 1.2 to 3 million weapons in Switzerland. The Swiss population is nearly eight million. Not everyone in Switzerland owns a gun.

People are only in the Swiss Militia when they are between 19 and 34 and if they are Male. This works out to be more or less an eighth of the population.

The Phantom of NS
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Phantom of NS » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Not everyone needs a gun, my friend.
...With its Phantom chased for evermore,
By a crowd that seize it not...

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:06 pm

South Norwega wrote:

NOT EVERYONE OWNS A GUN.

That statement is not incorrect. You have not proved me wrong. I am completely correct. The facts support me. There are more guns in the US than Switzerland, per capita (and in the useless measure of real terms). Not everyone in Switzerland owns a gun. These are two completely unimportant facts about the world that are almost indisputably true and correct.

Your wikipedia article says that there are between 1.2 to 3 million weapons in Switzerland. The Swiss population is nearly eight million. Not everyone in Switzerland owns a gun.

People are only in the Swiss Militia when they are between 19 and 34 and if they are Male. This works out to be more or less an eighth of the population.

So why is their crime rate still EXTREMELY low?
Vecherd wrote:

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
South Norwega wrote:NOT EVERYONE OWNS A GUN.

Because it is European and therefore a civilised country.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:So why is their crime rate still EXTREMELY low?

Because it is European and therefore a civilised country.

Im a crazy "racist" middle class white American who is not "civilized". :rofl:
Vecherd wrote:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:

Well, given what we know about crime, the best explanation would be that there is very little poverty.
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:

Because the people who own guns are almost always properly trained in their use. Because the government issued military ammunition is not allowed to be unsealed, let alone used. All guns must be registered at point of sale, as with guns from all neighbouring countries and maybe not all their neighbouring countries, but most of them.

It's not a subject strictly relevant to the United States. There are major differences, in that they have a well regulated militia, rather than just people with guns.

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:So why is their crime rate still EXTREMELY low?

Well, given what we know about crime, the best explanation would be that there is very little poverty.

Poverty rate is 7.4%, compared to the US's 12%.

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:Because it is European and therefore a civilised country.

Im a crazy "racist" middle class white American who is not "civilized". :rofl:

Thals generally my point.

America is too immature to have guns.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Klamaria wrote:Am I the only one who blames his actions on the 2012 doomsday people? Their anti government talk, saying that the Illuminati actively contol the government and are the enemies of humanity, certainly seems like it could influence a mentally I'll person into commmitting such violent acts. And unlike with the Tea Party accusation, we actually have evidence that he listened to the 2012 stuff.

The comments about the gold standard suggest he was listening to either the Tea Party, or the same people the Tea Party are listening to.

No one is saying it's concrete, but there's 'evidence', all I'm saying.
I identify as
a problem

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Xsyne wrote:Well, given what we know about crime, the best explanation would be that there is very little poverty.

Poverty rate is 7.4%, compared to the US's 12%.

Which is funny because it proves my point the free market helps poverty. Well the poor will be richer then they our now.
Vecherd wrote:

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Im a crazy "racist" middle class white American who is not "civilized". :rofl:

Thals generally my point.

America is too immature to have guns.

I dont own a gun but the day they are banned is the day there will be a civil war.
Vecherd wrote:

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:The comments about the gold standard suggest he was listening to either the Tea Party, or the same people the Tea Party are listening to.

No one is saying it's concrete, but there's 'evidence', all I'm saying.

I get the feeling that he just latched onto any idea he heard that sounded "cool" and then tried (unsuccessfully) to integrate them all into some post-modern collage that was his own. Not that anyone could truly call any post-modern collage one's "own", mind you...

I get the impression of a slow kid desperately wanting to be bright and failing horribly.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm

The Phantom of NS wrote:Not everyone needs a gun, my friend.

Who decides what I need? You dont know me. No fat cat politician in Washington knows me. How can they decide whats best for me?
Vecherd wrote:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
South Norwega wrote:Poverty rate is 7.4%, compared to the US's 12%.

Which is funny because it proves my point the free market helps poverty. Well the poor will be richer then they our now.

Switzerland is a welfare state.
Chernoslavia wrote:

Source?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General