NATION

PASSWORD

Government paid for Birth Control USA only please

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do think about free birth control?

Should be free for both genders (including condoms, hormonal birth control and ect.)?
47%
Should be free for low income individuals?
13%
Shouldn't be free for anyone?
40%

Total votes : 95

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Scalietti wrote:
Unchecked Expansion wrote:
Cheaper than the medical care a poor mother and baby will need, which will also be a drain on tax money.
Or we could let them die and reduce the surplus population

Funding birth control will only send a message to those involved that there is nothing to worry about if you don't wear protection, lulling them into a false sense of security and probably making them forget about the raft of other diseases that are bound to follow.

Personally, I would rather spend $100,000 on one poor mother and child than $100,000 on ten stupid teenagers.

Fund education. Provide birth control after STD tests. Emphasise safe practise.
Preventative medicine is almost always cheaper

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Bottle wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:Here's a rather strong question to those who favor: Why do I have to be pay for it? An individual can decided whether he or she takes part in sex, whether it be bareback or off the pill. That's their problem, not mine.

Me, I feel the opposite way...I know that paying to make contraception available to everyone who wants it will save me tons of money in the long run, so I'm happy to invest in it. You can thank me for saving YOU money any time you want. :D

Har : P

I think if a person is given the chance, they can go on to do great things and become a contributing member of society. After all, it was a poor, single Kansas woman who gave birth to a kid named, Barack. ;) And though I may disagree with many things he has done, he certainly contributed and made the difference.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Yootwopia wrote:
JJ Place wrote:Not taxing people to pay for another program

Oh ffs. This is like one of the most actually worthy things for a government to spend money on, along with making sure that people have rooves over their heads, food in their bellies, and the kiddos in school.

The government should neither be paying for any of these spending programs; no matter how worthy something might be, it never justifies taking money one group and giving it to another group. The government's programs are also incredibly poorly conducted , minimally reaching , especially for the high costs , and inefficient , a majority of the time to the point of counter - productivity , especially compared to private sector productivity, efficiency , and additional bonuses of the private sector over the public sector, and charity as compared to government attempts at improving welfare, through welfare.

now paying for the program with revenues from businesses such as the Lottery , as well as donations, would be perfectly justified; this would be a very positive charitable cause to begin and or to support.

Yeah but a lot of charity is basically the capricious donations of guilt-ridden Christians who are coming close to their death beds (see Carnegie et al), and safe sex really isn't something encouraged by the bible, sadly.[/quote]

Charity is far different than you might believe; people are generally good, and because of this axiom , people generally will do as a part to help those whom just cannot seem to help themselves due to what seems as impossibly terrible luck . People are more liberal with their money when they have more of said money with the same or a less amount of work , correct? People make more money when the economy is good, correct? So, people will be more charitable if the economy is good. Now, the economy is at it's best when taxation across the board is low, and lowering the welfare budget will allow the taxation burden on all people to be lifted. Therefore, the best option the government can take to increase the welfare of individuals in the society and increase the standard living of all is to keep the economy better by lowering taxation.

Charity isn't just given by Christians on their death beds; it's given by types of people , all of these types of people transcending nearly every single one of the spectrums. Coupling this fact , along with the facts given above, along with the overall increasingly liberal society we're living in ( Even with the Pope now saying, perhaps on the realization of the world ' s increasing liberalness , or , perhaps , on a far off chance, on his own realization of the world at least in a starting manner ) , there should be no problem gaining enough support , and, perhaps more importantly, enough money , in order to finance an initiative to provide free condoms to those whom would not otherwise have access to preventative measures of birth control , as well as preventative measures against STD , Condoms.
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Bottle wrote:Me, I feel the opposite way...I know that paying to make contraception available to everyone who wants it will save me tons of money in the long run, so I'm happy to invest in it. You can thank me for saving YOU money any time you want. :D

I think if a person is given the chance, they can go on to do great things and become a contributing member of society. After all, it was a poor, single Kansas woman who gave birth to a kid named, Barack. ;)

Maybe next time you'll pick an example where the woman, rather than the child she bore, got to go on to power and fame...otherwise it just comes off as yet another person reminding us ladies that we might as well not bother hoping that we will be the ones to grow up to be president. But hey, maybe the baby will!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Scalietti
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Scalietti wrote:
Funding birth control will only send a message to those involved that there is nothing to worry about if you don't wear protection, lulling them into a false sense of security and probably making them forget about the raft of other diseases that are bound to follow.

Personally, I would rather spend $100,000 on one poor mother and child than $100,000 on ten stupid teenagers.

The problem is, that system doesn't allow the subjects to understand the magnitude of the implications of their actions. You can tell a five year old "don't touch the fire because you will burn" but they always put their hand in the fire because they want to know, or can't understand, what will happen.
Therefore, you won't be fixing the problem at all.
I don't have a signature.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Scalietti wrote:

The problem is, that system doesn't allow the subjects to understand the magnitude of the implications of their actions. You can tell a five year old "don't touch the fire because you will burn" but they always put their hand in the fire because they want to know, or can't understand, what will happen.

By that logic, it's better to let someone commit a crime and be arrested than to tell them what the law is.

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Scalietti wrote:

By that logic, it's better to let someone commit a crime and be arrested than to tell them what the law is.

Well by your logic we shouldn't have crime at all.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Sex the action isn't necessarily a crime.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Bottle wrote:

I think if a person is given the chance, they can go on to do great things and become a contributing member of society. After all, it was a poor, single Kansas woman who gave birth to a kid named, Barack. ;)

Maybe next time you'll pick an example where the woman, rather than the child she bore, got to go on to power and fame...otherwise it just comes off as yet another person reminding us ladies that we might as well not bother hoping that we will be the ones to grow up to be president. But hey, maybe the baby will!

There's always the chance. I'm not against abortion, I think it should be allowed in all cases, but I think at the same time it kinda is unfair. I mean, I won't lie. If I got a girl knocked up, I'd probably press her hard to have an abortion. But technically it's not hypocrisy, cuz I favor legalized abortion? Yeah *repeats that last phrase 5x to himself in front of a mirror*

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Scalietti wrote:

So how do you explain our underpopulated pediatric burn units?

I, like most 5 year olds, was quite able to understand my parents' verbal instructions regarding fire and burns. I never once touched a fire. Never touched the stove either, at least not until I was a bonehead 19 year old who had the brilliant idea to make pancakes while drunk and ended up with a stovetop pattern on my forearm, but that's a story for another time.

People always trot out that weird "kids will keep reaching for the fire until they get burnt and learn better" thing, but I've never found it to be true. It wasn't true of me, or my friends, or any of the kids I've worked with. I'm sure that there are some kids who do get burned in that manner, but I don't think they're even the majority, and I certainly don't think it's an innate problem that we cannot escape.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Nazistisches Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazistisches Reich » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Bottle wrote:Maybe next time you'll pick an example where the woman, rather than the child she bore, got to go on to power and fame...otherwise it just comes off as yet another person reminding us ladies that we might as well not bother hoping that we will be the ones to grow up to be president. But hey, maybe the baby will!

There's always the chance. I'm not against abortion, I think it should be allowed in all cases, but I think at the same time it kinda is unfair. I mean, I won't lie. If I got a girl knocked up, I'd probably press her hard to have an abortion. But technically it's not hypocrisy, cuz I favor legalized abortion? Yeah *repeats that last phrase 5x to himself in front of a mirror*

If you get a girl pregnant then you should man up and take care of it rather than have her kill it.
Nazistisches Reich Military Equipment
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=50044

Nazistisches Reich National Anthem
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57610

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Bottle wrote:
Scalietti wrote:

So how do you explain our underpopulated pediatric burn units?

I, like most 5 year olds, was quite able to understand my parents' verbal instructions regarding fire and burns. I never once touched a fire. Never touched the stove either, at least not until I was a bonehead 19 year old who had the brilliant idea to make pancakes while drunk and ended up with a stovetop pattern on my forearm, but that's a story for another time.

People always trot out that weird "kids will keep reaching for the fire until they get burnt and learn better" thing, but I've never found it to be true. It wasn't true of me, or my friends, or any of the kids I've worked with. I'm sure that there are some kids who do get burned in that manner, but I don't think they're even the majority, and I certainly don't think it's an innate problem that we cannot escape.

I can explain it by the single fact that people can never be told to do something once. You guys are in 'perfect world scenario.' The truth is, some people are dickheads, don't care what they are doing is right, wrong or likely to cause harm, and will just do it because they want to.

And Im sorry, but handing out birth control randomly is only encouraging the 'Ill do whatever I want' style of behaviour.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Nazistisches Reich wrote:

If you get a girl pregnant then you should man up and take care of it rather than have her kill it.

Fuck that.

There is no cow level
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby There is no cow level » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Scalietti wrote:This does not make any logical sense to enact.

First off, the majority of people who will be using this won't be rape victims, they will be irresponsible people who made a mistake. If this was for rape victims only, or for fetuses with serious genetic disorders, I would agree with this wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately, this system is just begging to be abused by stupid drunk teenagers. The country is in enough of a financial crisis without forking out millions of dollars every year so teenagers can have sex, get pregnant and have somebody else pay to clean up their mess.

you're an idiot. the topic in question is not about abortion it's about the birth control pill.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀ FEAR THE FAIL WHALE

Lauchlin
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Scalietti wrote:I can explain it by the single fact that people can never be told to do something once. You guys are in 'perfect world scenario.' The truth is, some people are dickheads, don't care what they are doing is right, wrong or likely to cause harm, and will just do it because they want to.

And Im sorry, but handing out birth control randomly is only encouraging the 'Ill do whatever I want' style of behaviour.

So rather than attempt to mitigate harm, you think that society should do nothing about it?

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm

There is no cow level wrote:
Scalietti wrote:This does not make any logical sense to enact.

First off, the majority of people who will be using this won't be rape victims, they will be irresponsible people who made a mistake. If this was for rape victims only, or for fetuses with serious genetic disorders, I would agree with this wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately, this system is just begging to be abused by stupid drunk teenagers. The country is in enough of a financial crisis without forking out millions of dollars every year so teenagers can have sex, get pregnant and have somebody else pay to clean up their mess.

you're an idiot. the topic in question is not about abortion it's about the birth control pill.

You're flaming and you completely missed my point. I however, will retain enough maturity to keep from insulting you over an internet chat forum, thus not losing my dignity.

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Lauchlin wrote:
Scalietti wrote:I can explain it by the single fact that people can never be told to do something once. You guys are in 'perfect world scenario.' The truth is, some people are dickheads, don't care what they are doing is right, wrong or likely to cause harm, and will just do it because they want to.

So rather than attempt to mitigate harm, you think that society should do nothing about it?

What can we do that we are not doing already?

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Scalietti wrote:
Bottle wrote:So how do you explain our underpopulated pediatric burn units?

I can explain it by the single fact that people can never be told to do something once. You guys are in 'perfect world scenario.' The truth is, some people are dickheads, don't care what they are doing is right, wrong or likely to cause harm, and will just do it because they want to.

Again with these weird assertions. Handing out birth control encourages irresponsible behavior? Source it. Show us the numbers. Because the highest STD rates and highest teen pregnancy rates in the USA are in the very places where sex ed and contraception are hardest to come by, so you're going to have to provide some backing for this claim that handing out condoms is what makes kids fuck.

Also, if you can't remember what it was like to be a teen yourself, then maybe at least go talk to some? I've never met a single kid, my whole life, who said that they decided to have sex because their health teacher gave them some free Trojans. I fucked my share of teenagers (when I was one ;)), and not a single one of us was fucking because we could get our hands on birth control...we got birth control because we already were planning to fuck. If there was no possible way for us to get birth control, we still would have fucked, we just would have gotten sick or knocked up or otherwise screwed up.

Nogalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nogalia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Faith Hope Charity wrote:So the taxpayer should support someone else's personal (possibly bad) sexual choices? I think not. If you are responsible enough to make the decision, you are responsible enough to deal with the outcome. If you cant afford the outcome, you shouldnt be doing it. But i guess simple logic doesnt prevail anymore.

I don't know anyone in the US thats so poor that they cant afford a condom... sorry.

We totaly agree with that statement.

In Nogalia: your kids, your money. Otherwise, keep your friend calm (or use a condom).

In case of rape: abortion is granted.
In case of broken condom: emergency pills + abortion up to the second month.

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Scalietti wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:So rather than attempt to mitigate harm, you think that society should do nothing about it?

What can we do that we are not doing already?

Give people free access to birth control.

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Bottle wrote:
Scalietti wrote:

Again with these weird assertions. Handing out birth control encourages irresponsible behavior? Source it. Show us the numbers. Because the highest STD rates and highest teen pregnancy rates in the USA are in the very places where sex ed and contraception are hardest to come by, so you're going to have to provide some backing for this claim that handing out condoms is what makes kids fuck.

Condoms and the birth control pill are not on the same level. When I mean handing out birth control free, I mean morning after pills and other hormonal treatments which is the topic at hand.

Hormonal treatments only protects against pregnancy, it does not offer any form of protection against STD's. Thus, I have a strong feeling that many will opt for the pill over the condom and leave themselves open for any raft of STD's which they may happen to come across.

Scalietti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scalietti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Lauchlin wrote:
Scalietti wrote:What can we do that we are not doing already?

Give people free access to birth control.

People have free access to condoms. Why do they need the pill as well?

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Scalietti wrote:Hormonal treatments only protects against pregnancy, it does not offer any form of protection against STD's. Thus, I have a strong feeling that many will opt for the pill over the condom and leave themselves open for any raft of STD's which they may happen to come across.

Or use both?

I would probably assume that people don't care about accidental pregnancies probably also don't care about STIs.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Nogalia wrote:
Faith Hope Charity wrote:So the taxpayer should support someone else's personal (possibly bad) sexual choices? I think not. If you are responsible enough to make the decision, you are responsible enough to deal with the outcome. If you cant afford the outcome, you shouldnt be doing it. But i guess simple logic doesnt prevail anymore.

I don't know anyone in the US thats so poor that they cant afford a condom... sorry.

We totaly agree with that statement.

In Nogalia: your kids, your money. Otherwise, keep your friend calm (or use a condom).

In case of rape: abortion is granted.
In case of broken condom: emergency pills + abortion up to the second month.

Please don't refer to yourself in the third person, Mike hates people who do this, even with the intent of role-playing with their fictional nation. Because Mike's is considerably better.

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Scalietti wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:Give people free access to birth control.

People have free access to condoms. Why do they need the pill as well?

Because it's extra protection? Why not give it to them?

Why are your arguments against this jumping around so much?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General