NATION

PASSWORD

Do you belive in human caused global warming?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you belive in man-made global warming

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 123

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Malikov wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
You spoke of sources. Assumption of the two links from a previous post.

Post a couple links. I read everything......

I'll post sources once i get home, in about four hours. I know this sounds like a lame excuse, but I don't have my paper listing them on me at the moment, and i don't keep a digital copy of the sites. That's something I should think about doing, isn't it? But before you start clamoring for my blood, screaming "NO SOURCES", rest assured, I will post them.

I'd just like to remind our friend of this.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 pm

I believe in using clear sentences.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 am

Malikov wrote:Aha ha ha! Your jibes are so witty and well-thought. It is not my data, merely sources I have come across that refutes the man-made global warming phenomenon. They have already been published, otherwise they wouldn't be legitimate sources now, would they?

I'm confused. I thought your point was that such evidence doesn't get published, because it wouldn't be profitable, because it's contrary to the acceptable theory or something. And to prove this point, you have several published articles?
I identify as
a problem

Supreme Marshal Petan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Marshal Petan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 am

I'll global your warming.
"Modern life, too, is often a mechanical oppression and liquor is the only mechanical relief." -Ernest Hemingway

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 am

Xeraphim wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:Well, when you get home, we'll take a look at your sources. Papers like that have not been published because nobody can find data to support those conclusions. If your "retired scientists" have the data to support it, they'd be publishing it to supplement their incomes. If no journal is willing to publish it, it's almost certainly because their methods are flawed or that their data don't support the conclusions. But I guess we'll see.

Oh right, because many of these journals don't have an agenda like the media and might just refuse to print stuff that contradicts their system of indoctrination.
No, that would never happen.

If you're talking about the sort of science magazine you can buy at the local wal-mart, you might have a point. If you're talking about serious peer-reviewed journals, material that contradicts established theory is likely to be a selling-point, not a handicap.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:30 am

Xeraphim wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:They have an agenda to sell copies. What sells copies is good science. They are not obligated to tell the other side of the story, if there is no data supporting the other side.

You are quite trusting to think just because they put it in there automatically makes it "good" science.

I'm wondering if you've heard the term 'peer-review'.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 am

Malikov wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:I'm getting confused about what you're arguing now. I thought were discussing whether or not scientific journals are biased against climate change skeptics. What are you saying now? That we should stop people from sending out press releases about climate science unless they've been vetted by Nature?

The topic somewhat shifted from the former to the latter.I'm not entirely sure at what point though. These things happen.
What I am saying, is that the general populous receives a skewed view about climate change.

Which doesn't matter, except that it means most opinions on the subject (since the bulk of the population are NOT experts in relevant fields) are going to be somewhere between prejudiced and absolutely clueless.

If you want to deal with the reality, you need to look at the view received by the NON-general populace - i.e. those who actually familiarise themselves with the data.
I identify as
a problem

Southern Dixiecrats
Secretary

Founded: Oct 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Dixiecrats » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 am

Somewhere in between? A small part, I believe, even if it is true. Although I like wind power stations. They look nice.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

I don't believe in global warming being a bad thing. :)
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 am

Saiwania wrote:I don't believe in global warming being a bad thing. :)

The OP has perpetuated (perhaps innocently) a misdirection. The concern isn't about 'warming' - it is about 'climate change', within which parameters some 'warming' may or may not be a factor.

The idea that the data just suggests an isolated elevation in temperature is ridiculously simplistic and deceptive.
I identify as
a problem

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 am

Kalasparata wrote:Before you answer that question watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hY49F2LWnM
:rofl: :lol2:

But seriously, I am NOT stupid enough to belive in Al Gore trying to preach to me his cult about CO2 heating the Earth! Besides, if I could heat the Earth, I would, no more cold winters! woow!

No more winter? awww....:(

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:01 am

Lykosia wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:Before you answer that question watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hY49F2LWnM
:rofl: :lol2:

But seriously, I am NOT stupid enough to belive in Al Gore trying to preach to me his cult about CO2 heating the Earth! Besides, if I could heat the Earth, I would, no more cold winters! woow!

No more winter? awww....:(

Actually, if the Gulf Stream ever stops, Britain'll look like Norway.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

The OP has perpetuated (perhaps innocently) a misdirection. The concern isn't about 'warming' - it is about 'climate change', within which parameters some 'warming' may or may not be a factor.

The idea that the data just suggests an isolated elevation in temperature is ridiculously simplistic and deceptive.

it does suggest an average elevation in temperature, which would suck since we grow a lot of crops in places that will become deserts and live in places that will be underwater. we also know for earths history once a warming trend starts its very very hard to reverse until it runs its course say a 10-15 degree change for perspective imagine if the tropical climate zone ends in Canada instead of Florida, and the desert-like dry zone ends in DC. instead of southern mexico. that to me is the biggest worry we know the farther it goes the more difficult it becomes to stop, much less reverse, sometimes to exponential degree. due to many positive feed back loops (ice sheet loss, desertification, methane sequestering)
warming can mean more snow in areas still cool enough to get it but it also means those areas shrink those big east coast snow where in the warmest winter on record. more evaporation but fewer places suitable for snowfall. so you drought and monsoons at the same time just in different regions. if it normally dry it gets drier if its normally wet it gets wetter, but thats short term long term if the average temp rises enough climate patterns start to shift jet streams ocean currents all start changing at that point most of civilization is in deep doodoo since we rely on on predictable climate (ex,Arizona dry east coast rainy) especially for food.
to quote
Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. ~Author Unknown
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Kalasparata
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalasparata » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:19 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Aol Gore promised it would be a factor :(
No I did not spell jail wrong, "gaol" is the Australian spelling
cityrailsaints on TrainsPlanesNRL
Capital City:Ipsola
Leader: Stelios Cityrailsaints
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
|| Factbook (Wiki) | Flag Meaning | Photobucket
|| cityraildude on YouTube || Embassy | NewsEconomic Calculators: NSEconomy | SunSet
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
98%of teenagers would run to his aid if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 2% moving people out of the way to make sure no one can catch him, copy and paste this into your signature

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 am

Sociobiology wrote:check out bjorn lomborg new book biggest skeptic of global warning has just put out a book supporting anthropogenic global warming and explaining ways to combat it. this is the beauty of science, no matter how much you have invested in a position a real scientist will admit they are wrong when the evidence points that way.

He's the man that was cleared of scientific fraud by virtue of not being a scientist, right?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:05 am

Kalasparata wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Aol Gore promised it would be a factor :(

Which is a fairly safe claim, since there is almost assuredly going to be some warming involved in any global climate alteration.

Your point?
I identify as
a problem

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General