NATION

PASSWORD

Do you belive in human caused global warming?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you belive in man-made global warming

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 123

Kalasparata
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Do you belive in human caused global warming?

Postby Kalasparata » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 am

Before you answer that question watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hY49F2LWnM
:rofl: :lol2:

But seriously, I am NOT stupid enough to belive in Al Gore trying to preach to me his cult about CO2 heating the Earth! Besides, if I could heat the Earth, I would, no more cold winters! woow!
Last edited by Kalasparata on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
No I did not spell jail wrong, "gaol" is the Australian spelling
cityrailsaints on TrainsPlanesNRL
Capital City:Ipsola
Leader: Stelios Cityrailsaints
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
|| Factbook (Wiki) | Flag Meaning | Photobucket
|| cityraildude on YouTube || Embassy | NewsEconomic Calculators: NSEconomy | SunSet
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
98%of teenagers would run to his aid if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 2% moving people out of the way to make sure no one can catch him, copy and paste this into your signature

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 am

:roll: This thread is a joke.

It'd be a lot easier to take you seriously if you pretended you were willing to consider anything other than your current opinion.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:55 am

Kalasparata wrote:Before you answer that question watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hY49F2LWnM
:rofl: :lol2:

But seriously, I am NOT stupid enough to belive in Al Gore trying to preach to me his cult about CO2 heating the Earth! Besides, if I could heat the Earth, I would, no more cold winters! woow!

A link to a clip from Futurama. That's the OP, seriously?

I'll come back when there's actually something to discuss.
I identify as
a problem

Kalasparata
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalasparata » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:56 am

Tubbsalot wrote::roll: This thread is a joke.

It'd be a lot easier to take you seriously if you pretended you were willing to consider anything other than your current opinion.

That was meant to be a joke, the serious stuff is under the spoiler!
|| cityraildude on YouTube || Embassy | NewsEconomic Calculators: NSEconomy | SunSet
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
98%of teenagers would run to his aid if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 2% moving people out of the way to make sure no one can catch him, copy and paste this into your signature

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 am

Kalasparata wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote::roll: This thread is a joke.

That was meant to be a joke, the serious stuff is under the spoiler!

So your 'thread' is you linking to a joke, laughing at it... and using that as a springboard to preach your opinion in direct contradiction to established consensus and evidence?

What do you think this is, a church?
I identify as
a problem

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 am

Yep.

I "believe" that there is an anthropogenic factor in global warming.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 am

So, Kala...why exactly don't you, ahem, 'believe' in human-influenced climate change?
Last edited by Grandais on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 am

Tagmatium wrote:Yep.

I don't 'believe' it's a matter of 'belief'. The evidence suggests that there is a definite anthropogenic component to global climate change. Which means that people who deny global climate change are choosing their own preconception over evidence - and I don't care about their opinions.
I identify as
a problem

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 am

I believe they accelerated it, but not the direct cause, climate change is quite natural.

We are technically still at the closing end of an ice age.
Last edited by Innsmothe on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 am

Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

Cosmic Aliens
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Belief is illogical in the face of evidence.

Postby Cosmic Aliens » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 am

It's illogical to deny the scientific evidence presented, especially if you know/understand a little about the earth's history. Back in the Carboniferous about 400 million years ago, the earth was a lot hotter, due to higher levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, there was no ice at the poles. All that carbon was locked away in the rocks by the rapidly growing plants, and over millions of years converted into coal, oil and natural gas, so if we burn all that lovely carbon and release it into the atmosphere, we will cause athropogenic global warming, exhasterbated by the fact that we are coming out of an ice age cycle - which is to do with planetary orbital cycles, something we can't influence.

By the way, with the current arrangement of the continents it is likely that increased global warming will plunge us into the next ice age but shutting down the thermalhaline circulation (the ocean currents which help circulate heat around the globe), we winters would get a lot worse before they get better. Think 'Day After Tomorrow' only less dramatic.
Last edited by Cosmic Aliens on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern Arcadia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Arcadia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 am

There's no such thing as global warming you scientifically outdated speaking piece for old scientific theory.

Scientist's refer exclusively to climate change since the effects of what we are doing are great and varied, greenhouse gases are not accumulating in the atmosphere as quickly as we thought because it's being absorbed by the oceans, affecting the pH and killing off areas of pH sensitive organisms As one small example, otherwise I'm not going to go into the whole thing; you guys can all go into google scholar and tap in climate change to read the latest scientific studies and essays.

Tatec
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tatec » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 am

Human cause global warming? I think the scientific term is climate change due to the fact that climates across the world will change not just warm across the board it's also pretty clear from scientific evidence that human have added and effected the natural cycle and if we don't change now we're screwed.

Even if it's not true we have to wean ourselves of our depleting fossil fuels before the suddenly run out the entire world gets one giant wake up call.
Honorable Senator of the National Centre Party [NSG Senate]
RP Name: Royal Federation of Czechoslovakia
Funeral of Emperor James Westinghouse (Current RP)

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 am

I have watched the clip, in fact I've watched the whole clip. No idea why AL Gore seperated the two lines of CO2 and temperature. One thing's for sure: When I used a ruler to try to measure it as accurately as possible, I saw temperature rises and falls before CO2 rises and falls. Therefore, that in itself has made that point on the greenhouse effect completely redundant.

Edit: The word clip bolded should be movie. :P
Last edited by Sungai Pusat on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Jekaria
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jekaria » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28 am

Humans have been the cause of everything really. You must admit that.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 am

What I love is how nothing can ever really be deleted once it has been on the internet, so all these people bragging about how they don't believe humans cause global warming will be preserved for posterity. Their children, and their children's children, will be able to see their words. The laughable ignorance will be around for future generations of anthropologists and sociologists to study at length. It's really fun.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Kalasparata
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalasparata » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:33 am

Jekaria wrote:Humans have been the cause of everything really. You must admit that.

Well true!
But not global warming!

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:That was meant to be a joke, the serious stuff is under the spoiler!

So your 'thread' is you linking to a joke, laughing at it... and using that as a springboard to preach your opinion in direct contradiction to established consensus and evidence?

What do you think this is, a church?

:lol:
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:36 am

Bottle wrote:What I love is how nothing can ever really be deleted once it has been on the internet, so all these people bragging about how they don't believe humans cause global warming will be preserved for posterity. Their children, and their children's children, will be able to see their words. The laughable ignorance will be around for future generations of anthropologists and sociologists to study at length. It's really fun.

OK, so how do you see what I've typed in my first post here? Is it considered bragging?
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Kirby J
Envoy

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirby J » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:39 am

Bottle wrote:What I love is how nothing can ever really be deleted once it has been on the internet, so all these people bragging about how they don't believe humans cause global warming will be preserved for posterity. Their children, and their children's children, will be able to see their words. The laughable ignorance will be around for future generations of anthropologists and sociologists to study at length. It's really fun.

Sometimes I think that if people in several hundred years read some of the things written here (and in many other places online), they would believe the internet had been around since pre-biblical times.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Yep.

I don't 'believe' it's a matter of 'belief'. The evidence suggests that there is a definite anthropogenic component to global climate change. Which means that people who deny global climate change are choosing their own preconception over evidence - and I don't care about their opinions.

Hence the quotation marks. It's a bit too soon after getting up for me to think properly. "Believe" was unsatisfactory, but I couldn't think of an alternative at that point.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 am

Let's put it this way: there's a lot more trustworthy evidence for climate change than there is for christianity.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 am

Do you believe in smog? Do you believe in mercury poisoning in rivers? Do you believe in acid rain?
Do you acknowledge that human actions cause the above?
If the answer is yes, anthropogenic global warming should not be a problem. If the answer is no, please advance to "reality", do not pass go, do not collect $200.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kalasparata
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalasparata » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:49 am

Dododecapod wrote:Do you believe in smog? Do you believe in mercury poisoning in rivers? Do you believe in acid rain?
If the answer is yes, anthropogenic global warming should not be a problem. If the answer is no, please advance to "reality", do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Yes
Yes
Yes
And humans do NOT cause nor contriubute to global warming

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 am

Kalasparata wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:Do you believe in smog? Do you believe in mercury poisoning in rivers? Do you believe in acid rain?

Yes
Yes
Yes
And humans do NOT cause nor contriubute to global warming

Okay. Justification?
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General