NATION

PASSWORD

a

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Bottle wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:This is nothing like the tactics used by the Democrats to pit class against class and demand more tax revenue from the "wealthy", is it?

If you're looking for somebody to defend the Democrats in any way, don't look at me. I hate the Democrats only slightly less than I hate the Republicans, and only because the Democrats at least do me the courtesy of PRETENDING to believe I am a full human being.

I guess if being considered a human being means that you need to be shepherded by the government from cradle to grave, i.e. the government knows what's best for you because it's smarter than you, then I guess you're backing the right horse.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:
Bottle wrote:If you're looking for somebody to defend the Democrats in any way, don't look at me. I hate the Democrats only slightly less than I hate the Republicans, and only because the Democrats at least do me the courtesy of PRETENDING to believe I am a full human being.

I guess if being considered a human being means that you need to be shepherded by the government from cradle to grave, i.e. the government knows what's best for you because it's smarter than you, then I guess you're backing the right horse.

Having social welfare doesn't mean that the government is shepherding people from cradle to grave.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Bottle wrote:If you're looking for somebody to defend the Democrats in any way, don't look at me. I hate the Democrats only slightly less than I hate the Republicans, and only because the Democrats at least do me the courtesy of PRETENDING to believe I am a full human being.

Reading comprehension is your friend. I don't back the Democrats.

However, if I were to decide to back a party based on whether they are likely to deliver smaller government, then I'd have to pick the Democrats over the GOP. After all, I was born during Reagan and first came of voting age under Bush II...the biggest expansions of government in my lifetime have been courtesy of Republican administrations!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm

The Republicans run an impressively large, expensive, personally invasive government for a group of people that oppose any and all social programs.
Last edited by MisanthropicPopulism on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade for the lemonade god!

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:56 pm

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:I guess if being considered a human being means that you need to be shepherded by the government from cradle to grave, i.e. the government knows what's best for you because it's smarter than you, then I guess you're backing the right horse.

The Republicans run an impressively large, expensive, personally invasive government for a group of people that oppose any and all social programs.

But the Republicans make a Daddy State, not a Mommy State.

See, Mommy State wants to make you go to school until you're 25, orders you to clean up your room (read: environment), and spends your allowance money on health insurance.

Daddy State wants to beat you for being queer, orders you to get a job RIGHT FUCKING NOW you lazy kid, and spends your allowance money on blowing up hospitals in some other country.

It's not about one party wanting to control your life less than the other, it's about which parts of your life they are interested in controlling.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 pm

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:I guess if being considered a human being means that you need to be shepherded by the government from cradle to grave, i.e. the government knows what's best for you because it's smarter than you, then I guess you're backing the right horse.

Ah, but I believe we are talking about the tea party movement here. One of the things that distinguishes the movement from the establishment Republican party, is its contempt for establishment politicians.

Aethyopea
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethyopea » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:02 pm

I never got why the tea partiers wanted to get the moderate republicans and RINOs out of the party. The US electoral system is built in such a way that it will gravitate towards a two-party system (sometimes other parties get through, but in the case of the tea party, they're so divided internally that I can't imagine them staying around for very long before collapsing under its own weight). So, if the system has only two parties, one being left wing and the other being right wing, then obviously the moderates on either side will need to cooperate with the extremes in their own parties to govern. That's the only way the voters are able to be represented in a two-party representative democracy.
POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
Ambrose Bierce: The Devil's Dictionary

•"The Catholic and the Communist are alike in assuming that an opponent cannot be both honest and intelligent."
George Orwell

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
-H.L. Mencken; The Sage of Baltimore

Trotskylvania wrote:Political analogies are like bullshit. It doesn't matter how pretty or elegant you try to make them, it's still a lump of bullshit at the end of the day.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General