NATION

PASSWORD

Why the minimum wage cannot help.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mikedor
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikedor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:I'm 11 fyi and i'm who u r attmepting without success to beat in a depate

You have to be 13 to be on the forum
Welcome to 1938.

I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:I'm 11 fyi and i'm who u r attmepting without success to beat in a depate

Poe.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

Interesting, because the minimum age here is at least 13. Maybe even 14.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

Abdju wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:Feel free to take a job at $1/hour, see how that works for you.

Hey, we all know how happy and prosperous those sweatshop workers in China and India are! Why they're just rolling in dough! They're not worked to death for very little, nope, not at all!

They're rolling in enough dough to save 40-50% of it.

Yay slavery!

Is there a point you're trying to make? Because you're failing to do it.

It was only a matter of time till someone tried to defend sweatshops a a superior example of production practise. The dubious honour, in this case, was yours.

Certainly superior to the alternative. The dubious claims are yours. Slave labor cannot save 30-40% of their income.

I thought it was 40-50%, re: your earlier post...

Reposted, just because I love it when people can't keep track of what they pull out of their jacksey.
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Abdju
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Abdju » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

My friend, your debating is as awesome as your spelling.

Left/Right -5.25 | Auth/Lib: +2.57 |
"Objectivism really is a Fountainhead of philosophical diarrhea" - derscon
"God Hates Fags But Says It's Okay to Double Dip" - Gauthier

Great Nepal - Tax supporting environment are useless, we can live without it.
Great Nepal - Lions can't fly. Therefore, eagles are superior.
Turan Cumhuriyeti - no you presented lower quality of brain
Greed and Death - Spanish was an Amerindian language.
Sungai Pusat - No, I know exactly what happened. The Titanic had left USA's shores and somewhere near the Arctic Circle
Derscon - I let Jews handle my money, not my penis.
Fevolo - i'm not talking about catholics. i'm talking about christians.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

Really? He seems to be beating you pretty handily.

Inherentjoydom
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Inherentjoydom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

Farnhamia wrote:

u have no proof that what i just said is true
His Imperial Highness Emperor of Inherentjoydom Luke I

Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

Neo Art wrote:I'm going to have a moment of open honesty here. I have cancer. Or, more likely, had. It's probably been cut out by now.

Prior to my surgery, 2 weeks ago, I was on a drug, imatinib, marketed in the US as gleevec. The maker hold a patent on it. There is ONE manufacturer. One. No negotiation, no shopping around, no looking for the best price. If I want the drug, I pay the cost.

I have good insurance. I thankfully paid $25 a month. I took 60 pills a month for 9 months. that's 540 pills. I paid $225 for my full course of treatment. Without insurance, Imatinib costs $130 a pill.

No, that's not a typo. Not "a month", not even "a day". A pill. 540 pills. $130 a pill. Without insurance, that drug would have cost me seventy THOUSAND dollars in 9 months.

Where, exactly, am I supposed to go if I can't afford that?

Fuck.

Edit: That's me expressing shock and surprise.... not suggesting a way to afford it. Ahem, sorry.
Last edited by Psychotic Mongooses on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

Yes, because the way to win a debate is to tell your opponent that they're losing.

They're so cute when they're smug. *pats on head*
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Inherentjoydom
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inherentjoydom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Hey, we all know how happy and prosperous those sweatshop workers in China and India are! Why they're just rolling in dough! They're not worked to death for very little, nope, not at all!

Yay slavery!

Is there a point you're trying to make? Because you're failing to do it.

It was only a matter of time till someone tried to defend sweatshops a a superior example of production practise. The dubious honour, in this case, was yours.

Certainly superior to the alternative.

The alternative... you mean 'being paid a minimum wage, and not being compelled into slave labour conditions'?

Oh they have that option in China? For the masses? News to me.

Of course they have that option. Whether or not that option is employed, is a different matter. But China is following your advice, it's letting the market make these decisions... and thus there are slave-level workers churning out cheap crap for the American market. Your philosophy at work.
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I identify as
a problem

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

So you're a self-confessed liar, too? Tell it to the Mods.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Sungai Pusat wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I'm very capitalist and free market in belief but I feel it's going way too far to repeal minimum wage. Almost every country has set some form of minimum wage (could be too high, low, or at equilibrium) but nonetheless, I feel it's absolutely necessary to keep in place at this point. While the cons are that unskilled workers lose out whenever the minimum wage is increased and as a result, face unemployment and outsourcing. As well as prices for products and services being higher than without a minimum wage in place. I believe the pros of an enlarged middle class and a working class able to afford basic essentials outweigh any negatives. Ideally the minimum wage should only correlate to just under or at the current cost of living for an area.

So, you still want tons of unemployed lying around? Just great...,..

Your 'middle class' can also come out from no minimum wage. It is just because it has been here so long and it has supposedly helped for people employed in companies that can afford that they don't see the companies that can't afford.

When times were good there were not 'tons' of unemployed lying around, the US's rate was at 4-5% and most unemployment is seasonal and not permanent. Without a minimum wage there would still be unemployment so it's a normal occurrence. I just believe no minimum wage would make things worse off for the people that are working. I agree minimum wage should not be set too high, which is why I said it should ideally correlate to just under or at the cost of living expenses for a locale- so companies won't have a problem meeting their bottom line and making some profit. I believe a person should be able to afford a minimum standard of living working two jobs.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:if you're bitten by a snake or chop your fucking arm off in an accident, you sort of want to survive, and that entails going to the closest doctor, not walking for five hours to find another one.

It doesn't even have to be such obscure injuries. If you get hurt in a car accident or have a heart attack, both things that literally happen to thousands of people every day, you don't really have the luxury of shopping around for a hospital, or even negotiating a rate with the closest hospital.

You shop around for insurance prior to needed to use it.

Go back and read the line of discussion that I was responding to, and you'll probably realize that your post is entirely non-responsive.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Qwcasd wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

I have seen you say that before. I want a source.

Here

After going through a few links, I saw 30%-50%, and that was total national savings, that wasn't the savings rate. And I would contend that is more of a cultural thing, and less of an economic thing. Chinese people hardly ever buy a house with mortgage, most save until they have enough dosh to buy the house all at once, and while they wait, live with their parents.
And I was never arguing that the Chinese were underpaid, (most of them, and that is not to say that there isn't a lot of deplorable things happening in China, civil and economically) considering there is a shortage of labour.

That is the savings rate. In any case, my argument is that they are paid to meet their basic needs and then some. Nobody is arguing that these people are spending weekends in Macau and flying home to Beijing on private jets. Those aren't needs. Needs are met, with money left over.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Former NK Soldiers
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Former NK Soldiers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

I'm actually five. If you don't believe me, read my posts.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

Your own words are evidence. You claimed to be 11, why would you lie?
I identify as
a problem

Inherentjoydom
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inherentjoydom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Intangelon wrote:

Yes, because the way to win a debate is to tell your opponent that they're losing.

They're so cute when they're smug. *pats on head*

Watch fox news u liberal elitist! Down with inheritance taxes!

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

?

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
SaintB wrote:
Inherentjoydom wrote:
SaintB wrote:$4 is what makes the corporatist pricks happy and forces everyone else to starve.

Very rude language u Communist degenerate.

Its not rude to speak the truth. Could you survive on $160 a week? Its hard enough on the current amount.

Most people getting minimum wage are high school students. That's gas, cigarette, beer, weed and god knows what else money. They aren't paying rent. They aren't paying for most of their food. They aren't paying for healthcare...

If my income went to the above, and nothing else, $160/week would be adequate.

Most are young That doesn't mean they are high school students, or that they are even going to school.

More than half are high school students if I remember correctly. Either way, you're talking about less than 2% of the population. Minimum wage limits opportunity at low wages now, and possible opportunity for higher wages later.

The stuff I have read just has said they are young, and most haven't been to College, but whatever. And, yes it doe only concern 2% of the population, but those 2% are lowest wage earners, and arguably the most vulnerable. I can hardly see how it limits opportunity, but I can see how it decreases poverty.

A low paying job, with hands on experience is better than an unemployment check.

Not if it won't feed you (and your family, if you have one).

Jeez. The sooner you people get into the real world, the sooner we can have real debates on NSG.

Real world. If you are making minimum wage, chances are you are in high school. No family to feed. Not even yourself to feed.
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Inherentjoydom
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inherentjoydom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

to be annoying

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Mikedor wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Mikedor wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:
Narkaya wrote:Wow - I've read some bullshit in my time, but this could take this week's prize as the dumbest thing I've read all week.

Fine.....
Just explain why!

Because unless you want a country full of sweatshops, you need some form of minimum wage.

Explain to me how in a country with an average income of $20+/hr, removing a minimum wage of $7.25 would cause everyone's wages to drop. And cause all jobs to magically transform into sweatshop jobs.

Don't you think the minimum wage contributes towards the average income? And mean isn't that useful, in a situation like this mode is called for.
The mean wage of two people could be $100, if one earns $5 and the other $195, for instance.

Obviously minimum wage earners are also included in the average of all earners. All 2% of them.

It's not simple percentages. The fact that there is a minimum wage drives up other wages. Removing the minimum wage isn't as simple as altering the income of the bottom 2%.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

to be annoying

You admit to trolling, as your defence to being underage?
I identify as
a problem

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am

Psychotic Mongooses wrote:
Neo Art wrote:I'm going to have a moment of open honesty here. I have cancer. Or, more likely, had. It's probably been cut out by now.

Prior to my surgery, 2 weeks ago, I was on a drug, imatinib, marketed in the US as gleevec. The maker hold a patent on it. There is ONE manufacturer. One. No negotiation, no shopping around, no looking for the best price. If I want the drug, I pay the cost.

I have good insurance. I thankfully paid $25 a month. I took 60 pills a month for 9 months. that's 540 pills. I paid $225 for my full course of treatment. Without insurance, Imatinib costs $130 a pill.

No, that's not a typo. Not "a month", not even "a day". A pill. 540 pills. $130 a pill. Without insurance, that drug would have cost me seventy THOUSAND dollars in 9 months.

Where, exactly, am I supposed to go if I can't afford that?

Fuck.

Edit: That's me expressing shock and surprise.... not suggesting a way to afford it. Ahem, sorry.

:rofl:

Okay, I needed that. Thank you.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am

Inherentjoydom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

Sonny, your posting style is all the proof anyone here needs. Txtspk alone brands you. Your atrocious grammar and childish logic does the rest.

Their fan clubs do.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General