NATION

PASSWORD

Your Most hated Historical Figures?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:47 am

Upper North Yorkshire wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Well, since we had a thread going about people you love, I guess we should put one up about people yeah hate, throughout history, and why.
For Me, it would be, beside the obvious Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, etc,
Oliver Cromwell
Not only did he delay Irish independence by about three hundred years, he killed a whole bunch of Irish in the process, for the sake of Killing Irish.
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

Didn't even get rid of the monarchy in England, permanently at least.

Cromwell didn't even want to get rid of the monarchy, not really, he was setting up his own Puritan 'Lord Protector' title that was essentially the same thing.

That said, probably the most hated historical figure for me would be Diocletian. He single-handedly dismantled the Roman Empire, handing it over to his power-hungry generals and almost collapsed the Roman economy through his reforms.

why would dismantling the roman empire be bad?

They were better than the Huns.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

New Somersetshire
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Somersetshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:49 am

Avenio wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Well, since we had a thread going about people you love, I guess we should put one up about people yeah hate, throughout history, and why.
Oliver Cromwell
Not only did he delay Irish independence by about three hundred years, he killed a whole bunch of Irish in the process, for the sake of Killing Irish.
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

Cromwell didn't even want to get rid of the monarchy, not really, he was setting up his own Puritan 'Lord Protector' title that was essentially the same thing.

That said, probably the most hated historical figure for me would be Diocletian. He single-handedly dismantled the Roman Empire, handing it over to his power-hungry generals and almost collapsed the Roman economy through his reforms.

Because he replaced it with a feudal system where most people were miserable serfs.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.25; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 am

Caninope wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Oliver Cromwell
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

They were better than the Huns.

This. And their whole preservation of the knowledge, art and culture of the ancient Greeks and Egyptians is fairly important, seeing as the knowledge lost then would eventually spur the Renaissance when the Arabic translations and further works upon their ideas resurfaced in Italy.

Upper North Yorkshire
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper North Yorkshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 am

New Somersetshire wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Oliver Cromwell
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

Because he replaced it with a feudal system where most people were miserable serfs.

haha, the roman empire brought about widesread SLAVERY worse than had ever been seen before by mankind! serf or slave, which is worse, who knows!

Thrinia
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 am

New Somersetshire wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Oliver Cromwell
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

haha, the roman empire brought about widesread SLAVERY worse than had ever been seen before by mankind! serf or slave, which is worse, who knows!

Amen to that!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46322
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
IC Population: 80.000.000
My Ideology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6lzPcOdzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6gLm7vgM0

United Southernours
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby United Southernours » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 am

Franklin Roosevelt, William Sherman, Abraham Lincoln, George Bush
The Confederacy of United Southernours
Factbook
United Southernours Wiki Page
President: Robert Enfeild
Leader of the Opposition: Congressman Harold Byrd
Capital: Richmond, Virginia
Armed Forces: 2,000,000 Enlisted Men
1 Confederate dollar = $1.6440
GDP: C$17,034,246,833,182.08
Government Spending: C$1,903,688,636,850.00
Government Revenue: C$1,846,577,977,744.50
States: 28
Current Government: 2020

Coke Addicted Clowns
Lobbyist

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coke Addicted Clowns » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am

New Somersetshire wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:Gandhi.

What'd he do wrong?

he was an anti-semetic homophobe.
threat level: meh, hmm, uh oh, find a helmet, put on the damn helmet!
If at first you don't succeed, you fail. And the test is terminated.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am

Thomas Jefferson, George S. Patton, and Erwin Rommel. Jefferson was not a good president, he destroyed New England's economy with the embargo act of 1807, and he wasted resources battling the Barbary pirates, when it would have been easier and cheaper to just pay off the Barbary pirates like everyone else. As for Patton and Rommel, they are both overrated, sure they were good, but they weren't any better than guys like MacArthur, or Manstein, who accomplished much more.

Edit: Marx, Stalin, Mao, Lenin, Che Guevara, Castro, and Ho Chi Minh as well as many others.
Last edited by The Anglo-Saxon Empire on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 am

New Somersetshire wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Oliver Cromwell
Fuck Oliver Cromwell.

Estimates of the population of the Roman Empire that were slaves hovered around 20-30%. In the Middle Ages, 90% of the population were serfs. So you tell me, which was worse?

Upper North Yorkshire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Upper North Yorkshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 am

United Southernours wrote:Franklin Roosevelt, William Sherman, Abraham Lincoln, George Bush

like g W. as a shout! suprised none of the reactionaries on here have said karl marx!

what about muhammed ... or jesus!

New Somersetshire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Somersetshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:55 am

New Somersetshire wrote:
Upper North Yorkshire wrote:why would dismantling the roman empire be bad?

Slavery in the Roman Empire was less common that serfdom in the Middle Ages. Being a slave sucks, but being a Roman pleb is better than being a serf.
Political Compass:

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:55 am

Ronald Regean. He created a national debt, burned billions of dollars on useless military hardware, and enabled Saddam.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 am

Mediterreania wrote:Ronald Regean. He created a national debt, burned billions of dollars on useless military hardware, and enabled Saddam.

Amen.
OOC:The Thrinian Catholic Church by no means claims to be a representation of the RL catholic church, nor does it seek to in anyway debase Rome. It simply remains a NS religion making project.
My Ideology:

Greater Rhodes
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Rhodes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am

Most popes between the 10th and 17th centuries, and Oliver Cromwell. He just seems like a prick.
Canadian
Political Compass
Member of: RIMT | CI | WA
Dominions: The Rhodian Antilles
New Factbook & Embassy in the Works--Never Forget

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am

Joseph McCarthy >:(
You should not give in to evils, but proceed ever so boldly against them.

What is asserted without reason may be denied without reason.

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Ravea
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am

Coke Addicted Clowns wrote:
New Somersetshire wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:Gandhi.

What'd he do wrong?

he was an anti-semetic homophobe.

Yeah, but he did quite a lot of good.

Anyways. I can't stand Julius Caesar, Richard the Lionheart, or most of the Apostles. Paul is the one I dislike the most.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Thrinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Thrinia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

Thrinia wrote:Pope Boniface IX
Pope Innocent VII
Pope Gregory XII
Dont like them.

all popes are bad FULLSTOP! especially benedict 16th the paedo!

How about john xxiii? or leo xiii?
My Ideology:

Greater Rhodes
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Rhodes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

Nort Eurasia wrote:Joseph McCarthy >:(

Oh I forgot him yes I hate Joseph McCarthy with the rage of one thousand burning suns
Canadian
Political Compass
Member of: RIMT | CI | WA
Dominions: The Rhodian Antilles
New Factbook & Embassy in the Works--Never Forget

East Fancainia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Fancainia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Thomas Jefferson, George S. Patton, and Erwin Rommel. Jefferson was not a good president, he destroyed New England's economy with the embargo act of 1807, and he wasted resources battling the Barbary pirates, when it would have been easier and cheaper to just pay off the Barbary pirates like everyone else. As for Patton and Rommel, they are both overrated, sure they were good, but they weren't any better than guys like MacArthur, or Manstein, who accomplished much more.

You're a tad wrong on Rommel. The reason people loved him so much was because he wasn't a Nazi. He was certainly a amazing tactician, but he was a better person.

New Somersetshire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Somersetshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Thomas Jefferson, George S. Patton, and Erwin Rommel. Jefferson was not a good president, he destroyed New England's economy with the embargo act of 1807, and he wasted resources battling the Barbary pirates, when it would have been easier and cheaper to just pay off the Barbary pirates like everyone else. As for Patton and Rommel, they are both overrated, sure they were good, but they weren't any better than guys like MacArthur, or Manstein, who accomplished much more.

I'm a Rommel fan, but not so much for the fact he was brilliant in battle as the fact he ignored orders to commit war crimes and deserved better than getting his head smashed in and being forced to commit suicide.
Political Compass:

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Greater Rhodes wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:Joseph McCarthy >:(

Oh I forgot him yes I hate Joseph McCarthy with the rage of one thousand burning suns

If he was still alive, I would kill him. >:(
You should not give in to evils, but proceed ever so boldly against them.

What is asserted without reason may be denied without reason.

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Red Latin American
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Latin American » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

All U.S. rulers, all popes, all the monarchs of the world, all former dictators and all then one day worked with the military dictatorships in the Americas, Hitler, Mussolini, Churchill and all the other pigs imperialists and colonialists.
Last edited by Red Latin American on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upper North Yorkshire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Upper North Yorkshire » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

cristiano ronaldo ... michael vick ... l ron hubbard

Ravea
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Upper North Yorkshire wrote:cristiano ronaldo ... michael vick ... l ron hubbard

I take it we aren't cheering for the same team in the world cup, then.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Thrinia wrote:Pope Boniface IX
Pope Innocent VII
Pope Gregory XII
Dont like them.

all popes are bad FULLSTOP! especially benedict 16th the paedo!

And Innocent III. He started the Albigensian Crusade, which killed thousands of innocent people and extinguished what might have been the most beautiful, peaceful and enlightened branch of Christianity to ever exist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General