NATION

PASSWORD

US gasoline prices may finally adjust to a reasonable figure

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 pm

a reasonable price would be take whatever it is now, and MULTIPLY that by at least three.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Cameroi wrote:a reasonable price would be take whatever it is now, and MULTIPLY that by at least three.

I don't see how that's reasonable.

It's not like it's being subsidized...reasonable is based on market value, for which gas sells slight above.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Canadai wrote:We have more expensive gas then you, and most of your gas import IS FROM CANADA.

Not most. 1/3rd is not most.

Know your facts.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:55 pm

That sure would suck if I actually buy that '72 Continental some dude's been selling. At least there would be no way that it would be my daily driver.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli
In nearly every respect, the automobile peaked in the 1980s.
Your waifu loves Morshu!

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Khorata wrote:Here, our gas prices is 98.9 (99¢ in Canadian Money). Way cheaper than America has. If I must tell you something, here is something for all of those who live on the Canadian/USA border. Always drive into Canada to get gas. Even if it means running out of it as you are heading to Canada, just do it! It will make life simpler! :)

That's per liter. In the US it's per US gallon, which is about 3.8L.
L3 Communications wrote:
JJ Place wrote:Time to buy a hydrogen car.

More like plug-in electrical.

I want a car that moves, dammit. And electrical cars, barring $100,000 exceptions, do not.

Also, none of them look anything except camp. Excluding the aforementioned $100,000 exception.
Last edited by Arkinesia on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Objectivist Aynrandia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Objectivist Aynrandia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Khorata wrote:Here, our gas prices is 98.9 (99¢ in Canadian Money). Way cheaper than America has. If I must tell you something, here is something for all of those who live on the Canadian/USA border. Always drive into Canada to get gas. Even if it means running out of it as you are heading to Canada, just do it! It will make life simpler! :)

You mean 99¢ Canadian PER LITRE? :palm:

Edit: Ninja'd!
Last edited by Objectivist Aynrandia on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Canadai wrote:
Caninope wrote:
Canadai wrote:We have more expensive gas then you, and most of your gas import IS FROM CANADA.

Know your facts.

One third is most when all the other countries are less. Biggest supplier = most.

No, if you said the most, but not most. When it is a noun (i.e. "the most") it is the largest amount, but when used as an adverb, it is the majority.

[/grammar nazi]
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Time to go Alternative, like electric and Solar forms of transportation...say, whatever happened to that research program of a car being pwered by wind by using some compresser thingy?

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Canadai wrote:
Caninope wrote:
Canadai wrote:
Caninope wrote:

Know your facts.

One third is most when all the other countries are less. Biggest supplier = most.

No, if you said the most, but not most. When it is a noun (i.e. "the most") it is the largest amount, but when used as an adverb, it is the majority.

[/grammar nazi]

"The most of your gas imports" is better grammar?

No, it would be

"We have more expensive gas then you, and more of your gas import comes from Canada than anywhere else."
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Wife agro
Spokesperson

Founded: May 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wife agro » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

in the US lets consider a few things... basic things.

jobs:
if gas prices hit $7.00 per gallon do you realize how many jobs will be lost. Think just for 1 minute all the jobs out there that require gasoline to complete... mail delivery, public service (EMS, police, fire) service industry (heating and Air, plumbing, electrical), manufacturing which require supply transport to get from point A to B via trains and semi's, auto industry; do you realize how many people will be put out of work if people can not only afford to drive a car anymore butr also to fix it or buy 1 this is just the tip of the ice berg on the job point of view, but you get the point im making with it... i hope.

utility:
enjoying that electricity your consuming right now.. well if gas prices indeed go to $7+ per gallon, not only electricity but all utilities will triple in cost due to not only having to put gas or diesel in the repair trucks, but also to help pay for the higher wages the workers will need to beable to get to work.
and again thats just a small portion

right now i pay $130 per month for electricity for my home, $97 per month for natural gas, $55 for water and sewer $100 for internet/phone/cable that brings my current utilities to $382, and my mortgage with insurance is $1300 per month and i have 2 personel cars to fill up that cost $70 per week ($280 a month +$500 in car payments) and a work van (im in the service industry) that averages $150 per week ($600 month) right now my monthly expenses before i feed my family or cloth them are take care of medical pay health insurance and school are $2562.00... to feed ($450-500 month), cloth and misc needs($200 month, school ($300 month), provide health services($987 month, house($1682), transport($780 month) and go to my next job($600 month) all cost me before a dime goes to savings $5049 per month thats $61000 per year in necessities just to live and provide. If gas hits $7 and if everything triples in cost due to said gas price ill be fucked and so will this country as most people will deal with the same dilema that i will, spend double your income to survive due our governments fuck up... or revolt..... that answer will be simple enough

it would not only bankrupt this country but think about this, if the US caint move goods in its own country what makes you think we can get it to you guys over seas so you can enjoy some of the things you take for granted as well for instance grain and cotton the US provides nearly half of the worlds grain that is used for everything from breads to pasta and nearly 70% of the cotton that makes the clothing you wear... i hate to say but much of the world depends on the USA for its resources and if we get fucked... so do you! :lol2: :rofl: :blink: :blink: :palm:
Last edited by Wife agro on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think it can happen, it will

Military Store Front
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55622

Map of Agro
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57967

"Following new legislation in Wife agro, the nation's massive battleships are often mistaken for islands."

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Wife agro wrote:nearly 70% of the cotton that makes the clothing you wear

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.

Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Dark Side Messiahs
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Side Messiahs » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Its times like this I'm happy I take the bus and ride a bike.
Yep, I'm a Geek. I'm also a left-wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun loving, white, college educated, politically informed, socially abrasive, conservatively liberal male with a big mouth...deal with it.
!!!WARNING!!!
I give it a 1 in 4 chance you will not like my view on certain things,
you might find my opinion off kilter or even offensive.
I don't give a flying fuck how my position makes you feel,
it's my opinion and you won't change my mind.
So save yourself a lot of wasted time trying to argue with me,
don't compile a list of of my posts so you can try to point out the flaws in my beliefs,
you will not win.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:32 pm

Canadai wrote:"The most of your gas imports" is better grammar?

'The plurality of' would be acceptable.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Wife agro
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wife agro » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:37 pm

South Norwega wrote:

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.

uh, no.... actually what you posted is wrong.... i said industry i didnt specify which... i grow cottton and feed corn on 3100 acres and yes the US provides nearly 70% of the worlds cotton of that 70% only 25% qualifies for use for clothing.. the rest is used for everything from upholstery, to money to building material

that map only shows cotton production for use as clothing. there are approx 15 types of those maps used for various types of cotton uses... when combined.... most of the western and southern half of the US is covered in YELLOW and the map you show there depicts not where its its produced but wherei ts processed and manufactured out of.. which is mostly the N.eastern part of the US
Last edited by Wife agro on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Military Store Front

Map of Agro

"Following new legislation in Wife agro, the nation's massive battleships are often mistaken for islands."

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Anyway, with the way things are now, there needs to be some sort of viable alternative in place before $7/gallon gas becomes feasible. If the timing's off and people get screwed as a result, the plan will almost certainly fail due to sheer spite and resentment, and the efforts of unscupulous politicians scrabbling for political capital.

Of course, there's the distinct possibility that a mountain of turds will collapse right onto the fans, and we'd get shafted with crazy high gas prices before we're ready, but that will also infuriate everyone.

Basically, we're in a tough spot, and we need more nuclear power plants.

Also, this is unequivocally badass and I love it.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli
In nearly every respect, the automobile peaked in the 1980s.
Your waifu loves Morshu!

Thurask
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Thurask » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Wife agro wrote:
South Norwega wrote:

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.

uh, no.... actually what you posted is wrong.... i said industry i didnt specify which... i grow cottton and feed corn on 3100 acres and yes the US provides nearly 70% of the worlds cotton of that 70% only 25% qualifies for use for clothing.. the rest is used for everything from upholstery, to money to building material

that map only shows cotton production for use as clothing. there are approx 15 types of those maps used for various types of cotton uses... when combined.... most of the western and southern half of the US is covered in YELLOW and the map you show there depicts not where its its produced but wherei ts processed and manufactured out of.. which is mostly the N.eastern part of the US

So "Cottonseed output in 2005" implies only cotton used for clothing?
National Information
Economic Left/Right: ln 0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: lim (x->0) 1/x
Pro: Some stuff
Anti: Some other stuff

Wife agro
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Wife agro » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Thurask wrote:
Wife agro wrote:
South Norwega wrote:

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.

So "Cottonseed output in 2005" implies only cotton used for clothing?

just that particular map does!

the cottonseed output maps imply total amount of cotton seed used for a given product, thats why there are 15 types of maps depicting differnt types of uses and overall output for individual products

they are broken down into the following groups:

point of manufacture; see above map
building material's: think insulation and composite material
clothing: mostly undergarments and denim material
industrial: rags, absorbants, rope,etc
dry goods: toiletries, linens, etc
misc: money, decorations, seed, military use
Last edited by Wife agro on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Military Store Front

Map of Agro

United Anacreon
Attaché

Founded: Aug 02, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby United Anacreon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm

A more reasonable price would be 1/3 of what the USA pays today.

This is going to hurt the working class the most.

I live about 10 miles away from my workplace in the suburbs, and I depend on sharing the family car to get dropped off there, if gas prices go up to 7.00, I'll end up being jobless, and same with my family. Where I live, population density is quite high for a working class suburb, (12,139.5 people per square mile) and yet everything is quite far off.

Frankly, I'm beyond outraged if this ever comes to pass, due to what's going to fucking happen.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Canadai wrote:
United Anacreon wrote:A more reasonable price would be 1/3 of what the USA pays today.

Seriously, the USA pays way to little. That's got to be a joke. Please tell me you're joking.

How is it a joke?

EDIT: How do we pay too little?
Last edited by Caninope on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Canadai wrote:
Caninope wrote:
Canadai wrote:
United Anacreon wrote:A more reasonable price would be 1/3 of what the USA pays today.

Seriously, the USA pays way to little. That's got to be a joke. Please tell me you're joking.

How is it a joke?

Because compared to the rest of the world, American gasoline is cheap as dirt.

I added a part.

How do we pay too little?
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

United Anacreon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby United Anacreon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Canadai wrote:

No, I'm not, I can barely afford the Gasoline at the current rate, and think Venezuela has the best gas prices in the world.

I'm dead. Fucking. Serious.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Canadai wrote:Because compared to the rest of the world, American gasoline is cheap as dirt.

So you want us to pay more... Because you pay more?

:palm:
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

United Anacreon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby United Anacreon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Canadai wrote:Because compared to the rest of the world, American gasoline is cheap as dirt.

So you want us to pay more... Because you pay more?

:palm:

It looks like it.

I can actually still remember 1.50 Gasoline in late 2008-ish, so it's very reasonable, plus the working class here do not get paid as much as they do with their counterparts in Europe.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I can't afford $7 per gallon gas.

I doubt many people in the US can.

We do it fine, what's so different about the US?

Well to start our country is quite large and requires massive interstate highways systems. Next you'd have to consider that mass transit is therefor not an option except in our large cities. The cities are where massive amounts of jobs are located but there is very limited housing. People therefor are required to commute a great distance. A large number of those people use trains but they still need to drive to those train stations to be able to hope the ride. Oh, and our government is beholden to oil companies and refuses to break free from them even if the people want it. The US is not Europe where you can get around by training easily. We need more high speed rail lines but the support for them is not there like it should be.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Doitzel
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Doitzel » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:58 pm

Liuzzo wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I can't afford $7 per gallon gas.

I doubt many people in the US can.

We do it fine, what's so different about the US?

Well to start our country is quite large and requires massive interstate highways systems. Next you'd have to consider that mass transit is therefor not an option except in our large cities. The cities are where massive amounts of jobs are located but there is very limited housing. People therefor are required to commute a great distance. A large number of those people use trains but they still need to drive to those train stations to be able to hope the ride. Oh, and our government is beholden to oil companies and refuses to break free from them even if the people want it. The US is not Europe where you can get around by training easily. We need more high speed rail lines but the support for them is not there like it should be.

Maybe it would be if the price of gasoline doubled or tripled.
TWP: Where stupid goes to die
Official Tree-hugger of The West Pacific.

-2.12, -4.67

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General