NATION

PASSWORD

Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Thomas Jefferson. God. Lots of people make that mistake.

Thomas Jefferson frequently did!

With one of his slaves, no less. :blink:
Am I the only one that sees the major cognitive dissonance with a nation filled about halfway up the Atlantic coast (at the time) with a rather large number of slaves (and thus slaveholders) wanting to be free?
Last edited by Milks Empire on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Thomas Jefferson. God. Lots of people make that mistake.

Thomas Jefferson frequently did!

Am I the only one that sees the major cognitive dissonance with a nation filled about halfway up the Atlantic coast (at the time) with a rather large number of slaves (and thus slaveholders) wanting to be free?

Yes, you are, unless you consider that a subset of people who in general only think about complicated issues in the shallowest of terms. Since I know that on other issues you can think more deeply, I'm going to guess that on this, you're on your own in a club-of-one where you just choose one issue on which to stop at level one. But you make up for that isolation by being part of the enormous club of people who apparently can't even hear the name Jefferson without thinking about interracial master/slave sex.
Last edited by Muravyets on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Kjhp wrote:as a native to the great peach state i am very glad that our state senate has decided to take the first steps in outlawing such a cruel practice. If u didnt want kids you shouldnt been havin sex in the first place. God sais all are created equal even those still in the wound :clap:

Actually, I believe the verse is "All are created equal, except for those dumb sluts that have sex with men (willingly or unwillingly)... they need to be reined in and led like chattel, lest they develop dangerous ideas that lead to lesbianism and witchcraft."

I'm pretty sure it's in Numbers or something.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Well, obviously it is because they are misusing it, if they really didn't want to become pregnant they wouldn't have sex, and no, it being forced upon them is no excuse...

Okay - you have the responsibility. You have to make all the decisions, and therefore, have absolute autonomy in this matter.

Oh, you want abortion? Well, that's the wrong answer. You have all the responsibility, and all the choices - until you make the wrong choice. Then we'll take the choices away from you, but somehow STILL try to hold you 'responsible'.

It's dissonance on an incredible scale.

These people have obviously met my mother.

"Do you want a jacket? It's cold out."
"No, I'm good."
"Take a jacket."
"Why did you even ask in the first place?"
"I was giving you a chance to make the right choice. You didn't."
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:Thomas Jefferson frequently did!

Yes, you are, unless you consider that a subset of people who in general only think about complicated issues in the shallowest of terms. Since I know that on other issues you can think more deeply, I'm going to guess that on this, you're on your own in a club-of-one where you just choose one issue on which to stop at level one. But you make up for that isolation by being part of the enormous club of people who apparently can't even hear the name Jefferson without thinking about interracial master/slave sex.

I only thought of that about Jefferson because of what was implied about him in the posts to which I was responding. Jefferson, like the other founders, was an incredibly complicated man. Went through a whole lotta shit before he became president, including losing most of his family (wife & many children) before the revolution. A lesser man would have been in a straight jacket, not on the nickel.

Concurria
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Ryadn wrote:
Concurria wrote:If you want to ask me about my opinions about mainstream Pro-lifers, ask me. You didn't. If you want to scrutinize me for opinions I had about society, do it. You didn't. What did you do? Presented unsupported claims about what the hypothetical "mainstream" pro-life movement "wants". Just one. Big. Strawman.

Which must have come as a shock after you rejected several different real-life scenarios where abortion was not only a valid, but a more responsible option. Doesn't it suck when people try to tell you what you think? At least they're not telling you what to do with your life.

Well technically speaking, telling me to keep my mouth shut about something is, indeed, telling me what to do with my life. :eek:
" I stopped being Pro-choice the day my baby turned 2. At the party, he turned to me, opened his mouth, and unleashed a stream of mucus and snot that I didn't know a baby was capable of. I was gonna murder the little bugger until I realized instantly that his youth didn't justify my anger. That's when I said that regardless of my perceived incapability as a mother, I am capable, 'cuz I do know better. "

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Milks Empire wrote:I only thought of that about Jefferson because of what was implied about him in the posts to which I was responding. Jefferson, like the other founders, was an incredibly complicated man. Went through a whole lotta shit before he became president, including losing most of his family (wife & many children) before the revolution. A lesser man would have been in a straight jacket, not on the nickel.

I don't even want to know how jokes about whether Jefferson though himself godlike made you think about him boinking a slave woman. Were you imagining him shouting out something like that at a critical point with Mistress Hemmings? Don't answer that. If you look back over the thread, you'll see the comments about Jefferson started with someone claiming that God had declared all people equal, and me pointing out that it was Jefferson, not God, who declared that. In the DoI, not the bedroom.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:I only thought of that about Jefferson because of what was implied about him in the posts to which I was responding. Jefferson, like the other founders, was an incredibly complicated man. Went through a whole lotta shit before he became president, including losing most of his family (wife & many children) before the revolution. A lesser man would have been in a straight jacket, not on the nickel.

I don't even want to know how jokes about whether Jefferson though himself godlike made you think about him boinking a slave woman. Were you imagining him shouting out something like that at a critical point with Mistress Hemmings? Don't answer that. If you look back over the thread, you'll see the comments about Jefferson started with someone claiming that God had declared all people equal, and me pointing out that it was Jefferson, not God, who declared that. In the DoI, not the bedroom.

Must have misread the context of that particular mention. Abortion thread + Jefferson making a "mistake" = good chance that "mistake" was extramarital sex.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Concurria wrote:
Ryadn wrote:
Concurria wrote:If you want to ask me about my opinions about mainstream Pro-lifers, ask me. You didn't. If you want to scrutinize me for opinions I had about society, do it. You didn't. What did you do? Presented unsupported claims about what the hypothetical "mainstream" pro-life movement "wants". Just one. Big. Strawman.

Which must have come as a shock after you rejected several different real-life scenarios where abortion was not only a valid, but a more responsible option. Doesn't it suck when people try to tell you what you think? At least they're not telling you what to do with your life.

Well technically speaking, telling me to keep my mouth shut about something is, indeed, telling me what to do with my life. :eek:

Get back to me when they start trying to pass a law about it.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 pm

Concurria wrote:
Ryadn wrote:

Who told you to keep your mouth shut? I'm quit happy for you to chat your little bunny head off, so long as you don't try to turn it into law.
I identify as
a problem

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General