NATION

PASSWORD

what is racism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Jedi 999
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

what is racism

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 am

according to wikipedia

Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] Or, on the opposite side, racism can be described as the belief that a certain race or races portray undesirable characteristics. In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or receive preferential treatment.

well so i argue hating a country because they treated your people like shit is not racist but anti-racist and people who glorify these racists are racists / closet racists . Hating people who have deystroyed your country is not racist but loving those people who treated other races like shit is racist
Last edited by Jedi 999 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

You are wrong.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Sdaeriji wrote:You are wrong.

prove it

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Jedi 999 wrote:

prove it

You're a noob.

/Thread/provenfact

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Jedi 999 wrote:

prove it

Source.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Dimoniquid wrote:
Jedi 999 wrote:

prove it

You're a noob.

/Thread/provenfact

stop making personal attacks or why i am wrong
Last edited by Jedi 999 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friends of Ali
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Friends of Ali » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 am

Your shit is shit bro.

I just stepped in doodoo.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am

Jedi 999 wrote:Hating people who have deystroyed your country is not racist...

OK, but hating and wishing ill on a whole set of people because a part of that set did something bad in the past makes no sense.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:

OK, but hating and wishing ill on a whole set of people because a part of that set did something bad in the past makes no sense.

well it does to me but the fact remains it cant be called racist

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

Jedi 999 wrote:
Dimoniquid wrote:
Jedi 999 wrote:

prove it

You're a noob.

/Thread/provenfact

stop making personal attacks or why i am wrong

Kk. I'll play your noob games.

Half of wikipedia's definitions are wrong... and the definition for people who can spell:

Racism is verbal, mental, or physical attacks against someone from the opposite beliefs. I would look it up in a dictionary... but nah.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

I kind of like what Chef had to say on it:
Chef: Children, that's not cool! You don't make fun of somebody because of their ethnicity!
Stan: You don't?
Kyle: But Chef, you just ripped on Chinese people.
Chef: Nonononono. That's different. I made fun of them because they are from China. You see, it's not okay to make fun of an American because they're black, brown, or whatever, but it is okay to make fun of foreigners because they are from another country.

I'm not sure about that sort of 'second generation racist' stuff you got going on there, where liking racists makes you racist. I mean, obviously it shows a tolerance for racism, but I'm not sure that tolerating racism is inherently racist.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:

Ascribing certain traits to an entire people in a stereotypical fashion is textbook racism. Such as, for example, saying that all British are evil colonizers.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

Jedi 999 wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

If I said "All Indians are cheap and can't drive," would that be racist?

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

Ascribing certain traits to an entire people in a stereotypical fashion is textbook racism. Such as, for example, saying that all British are evil colonizers.

Awww, you're so sweet, you yank. You are a yank, right?

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

well they did colonize thats a historical fact

Platonic Thought
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Platonic Thought » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

Jedi 999 wrote:according to wikipedia

Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] Or, on the opposite side, racism can be described as the belief that a certain race or races portray undesirable characteristics. In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or receive preferential treatment.

well so i argue hating a country because they treated your people like shit is not racist but anti-racist and people who glorify these racists are racists / closet racists . Hating people who have deystroyed your country is not racist but loving those people who treated other races like shit is racist

Here's an simpler and better definition: Determining any of your opinions based on race is racist.

Even when it's reactionary, it's still racist.

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Jedi 999 wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

yes because you are thinking of indians as inferior

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

Jedi 999 wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

well they did colonize thats a historical fact

Yeah, but with force... they didn't really give anybody else a choice.

/historicfact

Boico
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Boico » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

OK, you're an anglophobe. Also, just because I'm curious, how can you justify your hatred of British people? Gandhi (the man you said was an inspiration to you) said "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" so even he didn't support your hatred. Communism (which from other posts it seems you agree with) states that all people should be equal, yet you've made it quite clear you are not willing to see British people as human beings.

So tell me, how can you continue to say such ignorant things when you claim Gandhi as an inspiration? I'm pretty certain you and he would not have gotten along...

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

While I would never argue that a "race" is inferior to another, I am willing to say that some cultures are inferior to others. Some would argue that this also makes me a racist.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Jedi 999
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi 999 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Boico wrote:OK, you're an anglophobe. Also, just because I'm curious, how can you justify your hatred of British people? Gandhi (the man you said was an inspiration to you) said "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" so even he didn't support your hatred. Communism (which from other posts it seems you agree with) states that all people should be equal, yet you've made it quite clear you are not willing to see British people as human beings.

So tell me, how can you continue to say such ignorant things when you claim Gandhi as an inspiration? I'm pretty certain you and he would not have gotten along...

I see them as human being but the problem during the british rule they did not think of indians as equal human being

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Boico wrote:OK, you're an anglophobe. Also, just because I'm curious, how can you justify your hatred of British people? Gandhi (the man you said was an inspiration to you) said "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" so even he didn't support your hatred. Communism (which from other posts it seems you agree with) states that all people should be equal, yet you've made it quite clear you are not willing to see British people as human beings.

Yaar! Fear my tea and accent!

Anyone for Pimms?

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Jedi 999 wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Jedi 999 wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

yes because you are thinking of indians as inferior

So, if I said "All black people are better at sports than white people," is that not racist?

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

You could expand a bit on the "they ruined mah county; they took our jobs" portion of the OP.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General