NATION

PASSWORD

Calexit: Could it Happen?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 pm

New Acardia wrote:I say good riddance
Let them pay for there welfare state themselves
But if they did they would want to come back in to the United States with in a month .

California pays more into the federal government than it receives.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Absolutely not. The union must remain united.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:If the majority of Californians want independence, then they should be allowed to have it. If they want to stay in the Union, they should be allowed to stay.

The majority of the South wanted independence, and held votes to that effect. You argued they were traitors literally just a few days ago. Doesn't this stance seem hypocritical of you?

The decision was made by state legislatures, not popular vote, and the rebels fired the first shots of the Civil War. They also seized federal property all over the South instead of allowing the Union troops adequate time to evacuate and remove their property. And I'm pretty confident I didn't use the word "traitor" as an insult, since disloyalty to the Union isn't the part of their cause that I have a problem with.

If the South wants to leave the Union peacefully and based on popular vote, I support their right to do so any time. I support the right to secede within limited parameters, but the Confederates went outside those parameters pretty badly. Part of my hostility toward the CSA is that they gave secessionism a bad name.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink

Yes it should but it would need to workout its water issues first

Inve
Civilian

Founded: Apr 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Inve » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Economically CA is the same size as Russia, so yes they would be recognized. However, the U.S. will fall before this ever happens.

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

USS Monitor wrote:If the majority of Californians want independence, then they should be allowed to have it. If they want to stay in the Union, they should be allowed to stay.

Fuck no. I don't give a shit wether any state wants to leave the Union or not. The Union was and always will be eternal. Plus, the comparison to Brexit is laughable at best.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 pm

No, we need less countries, not more. Geography quizzes have been getting too hard after 1945.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Frenline Delpha wrote:. The Union was and always will be eternal..

167 years isn't eternal

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Cetacea wrote:

167 years isn't eternal

My "was" starts from the time it began to the time it comes to an end (the entire country, that is). We fought a war on this principle. And I damn sure don't want another. But, I would not oppose it if any states tried that shit again.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:53 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The decision was made by state legislatures, not popular vote,

False, and clearly you don't know your Civil War history:
On January 2, 1861, a miserably rainy day, Georgia voters went to the polls and selected delegates to a convention that would decide the state's response to Lincoln's election. In many counties the candidates divided along two divergent views. Immediate secessionists advocated leaving the Union without further consideration. Cooperationists, however, tended to be more conciliatory. Their opinions ranged from maintaining a devout Unionism, to desiring a scheme in which the South acted in unison, to advocating a delay of the act of secession.

and the rebels fired the first shots of the Civil War. They also seized federal property all over the South instead of allowing the Union troops adequate time to evacuate and remove their property.

South Carolina left the Union in December, Fort Sumter didn't happen until April. That's roughly six months of time to render a pull out, and yet they were attempting to maintain their holdings since they were beginning supply runs.

And I'm pretty confident I didn't use the word "traitor" as an insult, since disloyalty to the Union isn't the part of their cause that I have a problem with.

You advocated they be subject to the legal penalties within such, so whether or not you meant it is as an insult is irrelevant.
Last edited by Oil exporting People on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Frenline Delpha wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
167 years isn't eternal

My "was" starts from the time it began to the time it comes to an end (the entire country, that is). We fought a war on this principle. And I damn sure don't want another. But, I would not oppose it if any states tried that shit again.

That war was just a misunderstanding. I warned the Confederacy for trolling, but they took it badly. :?
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Cetacea wrote:

167 years isn't eternal

More like 240. But it will continue until the end of time
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, they can, but they need a majority vote from the other states, which is highly unlikely. But honestly, I would think that it should stay in the Union.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The decision was made by state legislatures, not popular vote,

False, and clearly you don't know your Civil War history:
On January 2, 1861, a miserably rainy day, Georgia voters went to the polls and selected delegates to a convention that would decide the state's response to Lincoln's election. In many counties the candidates divided along two divergent views. Immediate secessionists advocated leaving the Union without further consideration. Cooperationists, however, tended to be more conciliatory. Their opinions ranged from maintaining a devout Unionism, to desiring a scheme in which the South acted in unison, to advocating a delay of the act of secession.

That's one state out of 11.

and the rebels fired the first shots of the Civil War. They also seized federal property all over the South instead of allowing the Union troops adequate time to evacuate and remove their property.

South Carolina left the Union in December, Fort Sumter didn't happen until April. That's roughly six months of time to render a pull out, and yet they were attempting to maintain their holdings since they were beginning supply runs.

That was not the first time the Confederates seized federal property.

Supply runs show that the Union had not yet recognized South Carolina's independence, but they're not equivalent to opening fire, and they don't preclude negotiating toward a peaceful separation.

And I'm pretty confident I didn't use the word "traitor" as an insult, since disloyalty to the Union isn't the part of their cause that I have a problem with.

You advocated they be subject to the legal penalties within such, so whether or not you meant it is as an insult is irrelevant.

I think it's unlikely that I used the word "traitor" in any context, but was too lazy to double-check. You've probably confused my posts with someone else who was actually Unionist, as opposed to just anti-Confederate.

I have a problem with the Confederates using violence, not with them wanting independence -- but I really have a problem with their use of violence. Also, most of the argument you and I had recently was about the logical implications of refusing to recognize Confederate authority, not about what I personally think should have happened. I am OK with the Union recognizing Confederate authority to the extent that it was convenient to justify not executing a million people.

If the South wants to leave the Union peacefully and based on popular vote, I support their right to do so any time. I support the right to secede within limited parameters, but the Confederates went outside those parameters pretty badly. Part of my hostility toward the CSA is that they gave secessionism a bad name.

As I noted above, most of this is hogwash. It's very clear to me you're being hypocritical on this issue out of purely partisan leanings.

More like you've completely misunderstood what my objection to the Confederacy is.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:28 pm

No. The states are part of the United States of America and that is it. If they wish to secede they will get a firm no.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Skjorvekenland wrote:As stated in the U.S. constitution, a state is legally unable to leave the union in order to preserve the union. While arguments can be made with the first 13 states of the union, all of the other U.S. states and other possesions are unable to leave the union.

Because of this, the other way to leave the U.S. is to engage in a violent revolution. This can be seen as wildly difficult, although not as difficult as Texas or a second confederacy, due to the U.S. being the strongest military power in the world as well as in all of history. However, with California holding 1 out of 10 citizens of the U.S. as well as multiple nuclear missiles, an argument can be made that any conflict between the United States and a rebelious California would be a violent and bloody one.

US territories can go there own way. They belong to the US but are not part of the US.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:No. The states are part of the United States of America and that is it. If they wish to secede they will get a firm no.

Not necessarily. While it is hard to do so, if they get a state majority vote, they can gain independence.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Skjorvekenland wrote:As stated in the U.S. constitution, a state is legally unable to leave the union in order to preserve the union. While arguments can be made with the first 13 states of the union, all of the other U.S. states and other possesions are unable to leave the union.

Because of this, the other way to leave the U.S. is to engage in a violent revolution. This can be seen as wildly difficult, although not as difficult as Texas or a second confederacy, due to the U.S. being the strongest military power in the world as well as in all of history. However, with California holding 1 out of 10 citizens of the U.S. as well as multiple nuclear missiles, an argument can be made that any conflict between the United States and a rebelious California would be a violent and bloody one.

US territories can go there own way. They belong to the US but are not part of the US.

This I agree with.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 pm

USS Monitor wrote:That's one state out of 11.

Virginia, Texas, Alabama, and Louisiana. I'm currently in the process of looking at Tennessee and South Carolina, and if you so wish I will look for the others. So far, however, it is quite clear all delegations were elected by popular vote. Furthermore, even if we ignore the above, your original contention that the secession was done soley by State Governments isn't even true, since all of these links show they were special conventions.

Time to take that L, bud.

That was not the first time the Confederates seized federal property.

What specifically are you referring to? The events in Texas, where Federal officials turned over munitions and such?

Supply runs show that the Union had not yet recognized South Carolina's independence, but they're not equivalent to opening fire, and they don't preclude negotiating toward a peaceful separation.

With the secession of South Carolina and the passage of nearly half a year, it was quite clear they were occupying the sovereign territory (Using your parameters) of another nation. Every nation is obligated to defend its soil, after all.

I think it's unlikely that I used the word "traitor" in any context, but was too lazy to double-check. You've probably confused my posts with someone else who was actually Unionist, as opposed to just anti-Confederate.

Your last post (And last in the thread, incidentally) advocated Lee should've been executed for murder. Granted, this was in response me to my argument concerning the logical failings of the Federal legal position on the subject, so the context is a bit different. Given that, you're probably correct on this point and likewise, I don't really have the desire to argue over semantics.
Last edited by Oil exporting People on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Leaving the Union won't fix what's broken.
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Adytus wrote:Leaving the Union won't fix what's broken.

Nothing can fix the San Andreas
National Syndicalist

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Adytus wrote:Leaving the Union won't fix what's broken.

Nothing can fix the San Andreas

San Andreas isn't broken. It is a perfectly functional game. :P

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:53 pm

No. Hell no.

Trump will likely turn out to be the worst president America has had since before the turn of the 20th century, but that in no way warrants seceding from the Union. Only when he defies the Constitution and begins to take away the rights of people across America will it be acceptable for states to declare independence. Until then, an independent California would only make matters worse by encouraging states like Texas and Georgia to seriously think about pulling out the next time the Democrats take power. With either case, the situation would be extremely bad, as a sizable portion of our nuclear arsenal would immediately be in the hands of a foreign nation.

We can not under any circumstances allow the nation to become fractured over the next four years, because we will very quickly begin to slide down the most dangerous slippery slope in our history. The economic and military prowess of a hypothetical ex-state should be entirely irrelevant in arguments like these.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:53 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:San Andreas isn't broken. It is a perfectly functional game. :P

Damn it, we can't even have our Geology jokes anymore without somebody bringing in our GTA jokes.

AND THE ROCK (More Geology jokes) DOES NOT AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT.
National Syndicalist

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

The majority of the South wanted independence, and held votes to that effect. You argued they were traitors literally just a few days ago. Doesn't this stance seem hypocritical of you?

Let me know when California opens fire on Camp Pendleton or some other military base.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General