NATION

PASSWORD

Should a women-only hour at the gym be the standard policy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:55 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:Praise the mighty Farn, let his wrath be just and his mercy forgiving

Her, and I'll see you in the dungeons.

Wait, Farn is a her?

Sorry, rules of internet clearly state: Until proven otherwise, assume straight white male

I am sorry though
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS
Favorite bands: Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses, basically anything by Eric Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, a few songs by KISS, but I don't care much for the face paint.

Not really a politics person, I don't care much about it.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Yes, and I am sure you thought that is such a great contribution to the point, didn't you?

It wasn't, but the problem with colleges IMO is gender studies

I'm of the opinion that gender studies should be a graduate studies program more than an undergrad.

Undergrad should teach you the basics of your career to master a specific angle of gender studies for when you are in your graduate studies you will be able to apply your skills you acquired in undergrad to the complex problem of gender relations.

I'm also of the belief that, if gender studies must be taught in undergrad, that it should be a concentration within a degree like history or sociology. Such as a history degree with a concentration in gender studies, for instance.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:57 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Yeah, sure, and if someone calls you "gay," I'm sure you'll take that to mean you look happy. :roll:

TFW the mods start giving out free roasts

Mods are allowed to post like regular players as long as we don't use our mod powers in the same conversation. If someone trolls or flames in here right now, I would have to call in another mod to review it because of how I've been participating in the thread with non-mod stuff.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Yeah, sure, and if someone calls you "gay," I'm sure you'll take that to mean you look happy. :roll:

Being fair, I've done that before in an attempt to mock people.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:It wasn't, but the problem with colleges IMO is gender studies

I'm of the opinion that gender studies should be a graduate studies program more than an undergrad.

Undergrad should teach you the basics of your career to master a specific angle of gender studies for when you are in your graduate studies you will be able to apply your skills you acquired in undergrad to the complex problem of gender relations.

I'm also of the belief that, if gender studies must be taught in undergrad, that it should be a concentration within a degree like history or sociology. Such as a history degree with a concentration in gender studies, for instance.

The thing about gender studies is that it isn't exactly what employers want to see when they look at your resume. If they see that you majored or minored in gender studies, then you have a very low chance of being hired, unless it's a fast food restaurant. And when these people realize that they can't get jobs, they blame the patriarchy and sexism rather than their own incompetence in that "My gender studies degree doesn't qualify me for a job at the Supercollider in Switzerland. Therefore the system must be inherently sexist" because that is all they were ever taught. I know I'm exaggerating and I might be on the edge of a mod warning, but I feel like it needed to be said.
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS
Favorite bands: Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses, basically anything by Eric Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, a few songs by KISS, but I don't care much for the face paint.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:02 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:TFW the mods start giving out free roasts

Mods are allowed to post like regular players as long as we don't use our mod powers in the same conversation. If someone trolls or flames in here right now, I would have to call in another mod to review it because of how I've been participating in the thread with non-mod stuff.

I know, I've just never seen it before
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:It would be rude to lie, so I'll say nothing.

Why.....
Is this truly what these people have done to society?
Do we live in a world where arguments are ignored and evidence is never shown, but rather all knowledge and truth must be through radical feminist dogma?
What happened....

It's not limited to radical feminists. A lot of people try to ignore or dismiss anything that contradicts their preconceptions. Try quoting the Articles of Secession to a Confederate apologist if you want to see the same phenomenon on a non-feminist subject.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:05 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:....
Why.....
Is this truly what these people have done to society?
Do we live in a world where arguments are ignored and evidence is never shown, but rather all knowledge and truth must be through radical feminist dogma?
What happened....

It's not limited to radical feminists. A lot of people try to ignore or dismiss anything that contradicts their preconceptions. Try quoting the Articles of Secession to a Confederate apologist if you want to see the same phenomenon on a non-feminist subject.

Yeah, that's true. it's just sad that that is the way the world has to be. But we can only adapt and move on. The world isn't perfect, and neither are its people. I'm not perfect for sure, and neither is anyone else. That's what is so sad
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Alexanderians wrote:So exactly what parts of the radical faction (and a few benign ones) have asserted.

Okay, so? I was simply replying to the statement that it was coined 150+ years ago to separate the sexes. That's not true. I wasn't really talking about the modern use, which dates only from the 1970s.

My point was that they've been..."re-purposed".
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:

The thing about gender studies is that it isn't exactly what employers want to see when they look at your resume. If they see that you majored or minored in gender studies, then you have a very low chance of being hired, unless it's a fast food restaurant. And when these people realize that they can't get jobs, they blame the patriarchy and sexism rather than their own incompetence in that "My gender studies degree doesn't qualify me for a job at the Supercollider in Switzerland. Therefore the system must be inherently sexist" because that is all they were ever taught. I know I'm exaggerating and I might be on the edge of a mod warning, but I feel like it needed to be said.

Hence why they should be concentrations of a degree rather than a degree in and of itself.

Gender studies, as a multidisciplinary degree, doesn't confer much other than being a jack of all trades and master of none when it comes to skills. And employers care about marketable skills under your belt. A jack of all trades is not really something employers are looking for when they are looking for prospective hires.

History on the other hand, sociology, or even business administration are more respectable degrees which give you marketable skills if you understand how to use your liberal arts degree to your advantage. Hence why a concentration, I think, would be a compromise if gender studies must remain in schools: it'd actually make people who want to study gender studies adhere to rigorous standards based on the disciplines they have chosen. People who are interested in gender studies from a historical perspective would have to adhere to the standards of the practice of historical studies, and so on.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:The thing about gender studies is that it isn't exactly what employers want to see when they look at your resume. If they see that you majored or minored in gender studies, then you have a very low chance of being hired, unless it's a fast food restaurant. And when these people realize that they can't get jobs, they blame the patriarchy and sexism rather than their own incompetence in that "My gender studies degree doesn't qualify me for a job at the Supercollider in Switzerland. Therefore the system must be inherently sexist" because that is all they were ever taught. I know I'm exaggerating and I might be on the edge of a mod warning, but I feel like it needed to be said.

Hence why they should be concentrations of a degree rather than a degree in and of itself.

Gender studies, as a multidisciplinary degree, doesn't confer much other than being a jack of all trades and master of none when it comes to skills. And employers care about marketable skills under your belt. A jack of all trades is not really something employers are looking for when they are looking for prospective hires.

History on the other hand, sociology, or even business administration are more respectable degrees which give you marketable skills if you understand how to use your liberal arts degree to your advantage. Hence why a concentration, I think, would be a compromise if gender studies must remain in schools: it'd actually make people who want to study gender studies adhere to rigorous standards based on the disciplines they have chosen. People who are interested in gender studies from a historical perspective would have to adhere to the standards of the practice of historical studies, and so on.

People who are interested in becoming professional victims would have to adhere to the standards of practice of Economics.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:11 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

People who are interested in becoming professional victims would have to adhere to the standards of practice of Economics.

I'm sure Feminists would love the idea of communism
No, they wouldn't actually
That would imply some sort of actual equality, which doesn't fit in with their goals
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:

Gender studies isn't a very popular major. It's not a big deal if there isn't a huge demand for people with gender studies degrees because there also isn't a huge supply.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:11 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:People who are interested in becoming professional victims would have to adhere to the standards of practice of Economics.

Heh. Can't say I wouldn't chuckle a little at someone who is labeled a professional victim who is an economics graduate.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:The thing about gender studies is that it isn't exactly what employers want to see when they look at your resume. If they see that you majored or minored in gender studies, then you have a very low chance of being hired, unless it's a fast food restaurant. And when these people realize that they can't get jobs, they blame the patriarchy and sexism rather than their own incompetence in that "My gender studies degree doesn't qualify me for a job at the Supercollider in Switzerland. Therefore the system must be inherently sexist" because that is all they were ever taught. I know I'm exaggerating and I might be on the edge of a mod warning, but I feel like it needed to be said.

Gender studies isn't a very popular major. It's not a big deal if there isn't a huge demand for people with gender studies degrees because there also isn't a huge supply.

And there is a good reason for that:
People have better things to do
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Gender studies isn't a very popular major. It's not a big deal if there isn't a huge demand for people with gender studies degrees because there also isn't a huge supply.

Gender studies as it stands is a money sinker major, basically.

You get a very nominal benefit for going 4 years to understand gender relations when you could have just gone and talk with 1000 people over the same period of time and learn more about life and gender relations at a less expensive price tag.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

I'm a str8 up sociology guy and I can count the gender studies people I know on one hand
With no fingers and thumbs
Literally zero
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Gender studies isn't a very popular major. It's not a big deal if there isn't a huge demand for people with gender studies degrees because there also isn't a huge supply.

Gender studies as it stands is a money sinker major, basically.

You get a very nominal benefit for going 4 years to understand gender relations when you could have just gone and talk with 1000 people over the same period of time and learn more about life and gender relations at a less expensive price tag.

Heh. "Understand".

Mo chara, Gender Studies doesn't help you understand gender relations, it helps you conform to the bias of your instructors.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:18 pm

Kubra wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I'm a str8 up sociology guy and I can count the gender studies people I know on one hand
Literally zero

Praise be to The Lord, there is still hope
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Camaalbakrius wrote:
Kubra wrote: I'm a str8 up sociology guy and I can count the gender studies people I know on one hand
Literally zero

Praise be to The Lord, there is still hope
idk how f folks are still bringing up the gender studies bogeyman then there probably isn't

But hey I wouldn't trust a Milo fanboy with school matters and even less with gym matters
Last edited by Kubra on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Kubra wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:Praise be to The Lord, there is still hope
idk how f folks are still bringing up the gender studies bogeyman then there probably isn't

But hey I wouldn't trust a Milo fanboy with school matters and even less with gym matters

I'd watch how you throw around epithets.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Chessmistress wrote:
Post War America wrote: If patriarchy is to be eliminated we need to make sure that women can assert themselves in a man's world to create positive change rather than creating a "women's space" that serves only to keep women sheltered from the rest of the world.

Here we have the fallacy of the whole argument.

“Don't think about making women fit the world -- think about making the world fit women."― Gloria Steinem

Except that you can't make change from the outside. Not effectively, the world will not change to fit the needs of women because of people who think the same way that you do. You consistently seem to think that sheltering women will make the world fit them it won't. It will isolate women and therefore keep the patriarchy intact. Justice for all genders will not occur until people actually combat the patriarchy directly, which is not what's happening when you isolate people.You are treating the symptoms of a disease and not the disease itself.

Yes this is a man's world I'm not even going to begin to contest that. Yes it is unjust, ain't arguing that either. Yes, ideally making the world a better place for women (and people who don't fit the binary) would be great. Unfortunately, you seem to believe that cordoning off tiny little portions of the world will actually make the whole world fit women. It won't. All it will do is exactly what its doing, cordoning off a small portion of the world, leaving the rest of it in the hands of patriarchs. Even if the entire world was comprised of these little segregated zones, it still wouldn't change the basic fact that patriarchy is a thing. You would have successfully treated the symptoms without taking care of the underlying problems. Which is the equivalent of putting a nice clean coat of paint on a shitty house, everything might look better, but the foundations are still foul and rotting.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Chessmistress wrote:
Who cares about surviving?
Women could "survive" even under patriarchy.
We did it for so long.

Feminism isn't about "surviving".
Feminism is about thriving.

Humans thrive when they're able to modify the surrounding environment.
Now it's women's turn, and it'll happen even if you don't like it, since more and more women are outperforming men within education.
It's just a matter of time.

Equality isn't enough, then?

Radical Feminism is about control.

You've just proven the narrative of the anti-Feminists, Poe.

I think it's pretty much always been about control and female supremacy with RadFems.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
Authoritarian leftist as a means to a libertarian socialist end. Civic nationalist and American patriot. Democracy is non-negotiable. Uniting humanity, fixing our planet and venturing out into the stars is the overarching goal. Jaded and broken yet I persist.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Kubra wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:Praise be to The Lord, there is still hope

Ooh, edgy.
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:30 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Equality isn't enough, then?

Radical Feminism is about control.

You've just proven the narrative of the anti-Feminists, Poe.

I think it's pretty much always been about control and female supremacy with RadFems.

Yes but normally RadFems don't actually come out and say that
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General