NATION

PASSWORD

Sugar tax: Doctors call for sweet drink levy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should there be a sugary drink tax?

Yes
34%
No
61%
Other
5%

Total votes : 185

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Tule wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
Not really. Healthy food for a family of five where I live is roughly the same as an equivalent lot of fast food, sometimes more expensive.

Healthy food isn't just quinoa and gluten free oats y'know.

Good old cabbage, rye bread, spaghetti, peas and carrots etc. is dirt cheap.

Food prices do not remain the same everywhere. Some places those things are far from dirt cheap, especially if you live in an urban area where the only produce available took the expense of being shipped a far distance. I don't know where you live, but as someone who has lived in both the city and county, rural people tend to take for granted the ready ability of nearby vegetation sources and often forget that not everyone has a local farmer's market.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Tule wrote:

Food prices do not remain the same everywhere. Some places those things are far from dirt cheap, especially if you live in an urban area where the only produce available took the expense of being shipped a far distance. I don't know where you live, but as someone who has lived in both the city and county, rural people tend to take for granted the ready ability of nearby vegetation sources and often forget that not everyone has a local farmer's market.

I live in Iceland.

Fast food is vastly more expensive than the sum of its parts in a supermarket. Even though we have to import half our food.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Sugar taxes don't help solve the problem one whit. Just like cigarette taxes don't actually cut the amount of smokers and alcohol taxes don't reduce excessive drinking.

Maybe instead, we should focus on ending the food industry's reliance on high fructose corn syrup by getting rid of idiotic sugar tariffs that do nothing but cost consumers $100b/year. Or people could start lobbying their favorite soda companies for lower-sugar formulas (most America soda has way too much sugar to taste any good anyway).
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Most countries (Aust. Included) have banned high fructose corn cyrup
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Tule wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

I live in Iceland

Fast food is vastly more expensive than the sum of its parts in a supermarket. Even though we have to import half our food.

Well that's great for you, but what about all the people who don't live in a British supermarket chain?
Last edited by Dooom35796821595 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Tule wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
Not really. Healthy food for a family of five where I live is roughly the same as an equivalent lot of fast food, sometimes more expensive.

Again, not really. It isn't "dirt cheap" where I live.

I live in Iceland.

New Zealand is a bit of a different story. A day's worth of food for us is probably between $70-$80 if we decide to cook. We had McDonald's tonight and for four people, it cost us $56.
Last edited by Costa Fierro on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:32 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Tule wrote:

I live in Iceland.

New Zealand is a bit of a different story. A day's worth of food for us is probably between $70-$80 if we decide to cook. We had McDonald's tonight and for four people, it cost us $56.

This struck me as bullshit, so I went to countdown.co.nz, and did some looking around, and came up with this:

bread: $2 (1 loaf)
ham: $2.80 (200g)
marge: $1.50 (500g)
jam: $2.79 (680g)
milk: $3.70 (2L)
cereal: $4 (600g)
mince: $9 (1kg)
onions: $2.49 (1kg)
cabbage: $2.29 (1 head)
courgette: $5 (500g)
lettuce: $2.79 (1 head)
apples: $4.49 (1kg)
tinned tomatoes:$4.18 (2 tins)
pasta: $0.95 (500g)

Total cost: $47.98, plenty to feed four people for a day, with loads of stuff lasting longer than that, and I shopped well above the bottom end of the price range, and came up with an evening meal that definitely wasn't anywhere near as cheap as what Tule suggested. You could probably half that cost with some shopping around.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:04 am

Yeah. I don't know anywhere where eating out is actually cheaper than eating in - unless the basic ingredients are times apart in price (imported Oz tenderloin and controlled origin cheese vs bulk chicken and cheese flavored product).
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:45 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

This struck me as bullshit, so I went to countdown.co.nz, and did some looking around, and came up with this:

Total cost: $47.98, plenty to feed four people for a day, with loads of stuff lasting longer than that, and I shopped well above the bottom end of the price range, and came up with an evening meal that definitely wasn't anywhere near as cheap as what Tule suggested. You could probably half that cost with some shopping around.

That's with ham, which is usually the cheapest meat. Anything with steak or lamb will definitely bump up the price considerably. Also whilst Countdown is one of the cheaper supermarkets here, it's not the cheapest. Depending on where you shop, it can be considerably less or considerably more.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

That's with ham, which is usually the cheapest meat. Anything with steak or lamb will definitely bump up the price considerably. Also whilst Countdown is one of the cheaper supermarkets here, it's not the cheapest. Depending on where you shop, it can be considerably less or considerably more.

The ham is just for sandwiches. The beef mince is for the evening meal. And you haven't actually addressed the point.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:26 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:This struck me as bullshit, so I went to countdown.co.nz, and did some looking around, and came up with this:

That's with ham, which is usually the cheapest meat. Anything with steak or lamb will definitely bump up the price considerably.

Did you get steak or lamb in your mcdonalds meal?
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Free Missouri
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Missouri » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:36 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:I think it's somewhat reasonable for the state to make it more difficult and expensive for people to make persistently unhealthy decisions.

Nope, it's not, that expands out of the the powers of the state.

The state's job is to protect our rights, not control or influence our lives through laws and taxes (looking at you New York with your idiotic soda ban)
Military Whitelist
[spoiler=Isidewith score]http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/933358212
Merry Christmas, Frohe Weihnachten, Zalig Kerstfeest, শুভ বড়দিন, Feliz Navidad, and to all a blessed new year.

“Too much capitalism does not mean too many capitalists, but too few capitalists.”The Uses of Diversity, 1921, GK Chesterton

Nosuria
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nosuria » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 am

Making unhealthy food and drink more expensive and less easily available is only good if healthy food and drink are concurrently made less expensive and more easily available to the same community
The Holy Nosurian Empire

Free Missouri
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Missouri » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:44 am

Nosuria wrote:Making unhealthy food and drink more expensive and less easily available is only good if healthy food and drink are concurrently made less expensive and more easily available to the same community

Which will only happen if we stop using idiotic government-run food programs that raise the price of food to the consumer and lower the price of crop sold by the farmer.

Getting the government out of our business is the best way to do it.
Military Whitelist
[spoiler=Isidewith score]http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/933358212
Merry Christmas, Frohe Weihnachten, Zalig Kerstfeest, শুভ বড়দিন, Feliz Navidad, and to all a blessed new year.

“Too much capitalism does not mean too many capitalists, but too few capitalists.”The Uses of Diversity, 1921, GK Chesterton

Nosuria
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nosuria » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 am

Free Missouri wrote:
Nosuria wrote:Making unhealthy food and drink more expensive and less easily available is only good if healthy food and drink are concurrently made less expensive and more easily available to the same community

Which will only happen if we stop using idiotic government-run food programs that raise the price of food to the consumer and lower the price of crop sold by the farmer.

Getting the government out of our business is the best way to do it.

I partly agree. In the US lunatic farm subsidies, say, to corn and dairy farmers, have heavily put their thumb on the scale with the agricultural industry for so long that the entire agro-economy is built around it. We genetically modify animals to be able to digest corn instead of feeding them what they're actually evolved to eat, and then wonder why we keep getting outbreaks of disease in our meat. The government lies to people about how much meat and dairy they ought o be consuming, because it's in the interests of entrenched big business and because it's cheaper to get people to keep poisoning themselves than restructure the economy (or indeed, leave it alone and let it restructure itself). But your position seems that bad state intervention should be fixed by eliminating the role of the state altogether, and leaving it up to those entrenched business interests to self-regulate. That wouldn't change anything. The big businesses are complicit with government in the system. In fact, they're the ones who keep pressure of the state to not mess with the status quo. What's needed is a divorce of the farm lobby and the government, followed by a reset in state policy.
The Holy Nosurian Empire

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:29 am

Nosuria wrote:We genetically modify animals to be able to digest corn instead of feeding them what they're actually evolved to eat, and then wonder why we keep getting outbreaks of disease in our meat.

[muffled laughter]

Nosuria wrote:The government lies to people about how much meat and dairy they ought o be consuming, because it's in the interests of entrenched big business and because it's cheaper to get people to keep poisoning themselves than restructure the economy (or indeed, leave it alone and let it restructure itself).

[muffled laughter]

Ok, you don't have any idea how this works, so I'll explain it to you nice and slow.

Disease outbreaks are not a cause of eating corn (wtf?) so much as how meat is prepared—in closed environments, with lots of moisture, which are frequently warm…aka THE BEST PLACE EVER FOR BACTERIA. Hello? This is elementary biology.

Sure, these companies are (usually) pretty stringent about antibacterial care for their facilities, but something is gonna slip through. It's inevitable. Which is why I frequently argue that we need to loosen up regulations on butchers and allow them to make use of facilities with more space, or even allow open-air butchering which is, counter-intuitively, a lower-risk environment in many cases.

As for nutritional information, the government intentionally overestimates the amounts of good nutrients needed and lowballs the amount of less good nutrients needed because of psychology. People routinely improperly estimate the amount of any given nutrient they take in over the course of a day, so the government instead is trying to adjust people's psyches so that they will, by and large, trend in the right direction on certain macronutrients in particular (those being calories, carbohydrates, sugars, and proteins). This is also why the food pyramid hugely favors meats even though there's a lot to be said for eating white meats over red meats and the whole not all meats are created equal thing.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Tevehas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tevehas » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:46 am

Maybe instead of taxing people who know what a balanced diet is, they should just make it so people who eat themselves to death aren't entitled to taxpayer funded benefits.
Last edited by Tevehas on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation States stats are unbiased and infallible. Fact-books are supplementary reading material and should be treated as such.
In Memoriam to all those who gave their lives at Cascade Falls, WA, Dec. 1989
WACO WAS JUST PRACTICE

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:53 am

Sales taxes are regressive, and punish the poor. I cant speak for Australia, but America would be much better off doing away with corn subsidies and the like, instead subsidizing fruits and vegetables.

Tevehas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tevehas » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:57 am

MERIZoC wrote:Sales taxes are regressive, and punish the poor. I cant speak for Australia, but America would be much better off doing away with corn subsidies and the like, instead subsidizing fruits and vegetables.

My main man! You are woke a f my dude.

Better yet, get rid of subsidies all together and let the market actually work. (No this isn't irony.)
Nation States stats are unbiased and infallible. Fact-books are supplementary reading material and should be treated as such.
In Memoriam to all those who gave their lives at Cascade Falls, WA, Dec. 1989
WACO WAS JUST PRACTICE

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General