NATION

PASSWORD

Is Islam Truly a religion of peace?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 am

Crockerland wrote:It is almost comical what an awful human being Muhammad was, like when he ordered the murder of a 120 year old man named Abu Afak simply for reciting poetry against him, his cruelty and malice were so over the top it's a little funny.

I really have to question anyone making it to 120 years of age back then what with a lack of modern dentistry and hygiene, along with any number of things which used to kill people but are easily prevented or is no longer as much of a problem in today's context. But whatever, I'll roll with it- 120 years is practically speaking; the maximum length of time any person has managed to reach through purely natural means. Murdered or not, someone that old was going to expire soon regardless.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Free Rhenish States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Rhenish States » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:
Free Rhenish States wrote:Leviticus 20:13
13 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Jesus said he came to restore the law, so him thinking the same is an obvious given.
As for these verses, nearly all of them just take the desired parts out of context to create the visibility of violence. The only violent verses of Quran by far are:

And the one I like now:

I have a good list of Biblical verses, the violence level of which cannot be compared to any verse of the Quran. Care to see?

Thx akhi.

You're welcome, brother. ^^
I don't care about the opinions of people I don't even think about. Est-ce que tu comprends? Ça m'est égal.
Wer in einem gewissen Alter nicht merkt, dass er hauptsächlich von Idioten umgeben ist, merkt es aus einem gewissen Grunde nicht. - Kurt Götz
TGs are welcome, I don't bite at all... Or so do I think.
Быть русским значит быть святым, расистом, экстремистом, жидобоем, и мишенью стать для всех исчадий зла.
I am not trillingual, I am sexlingual.
The undisputed Führer of all Germans on Nationstates. Know your leader!
!I believe in the white race!

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Terrallamus wrote:
That's your interpretation of Islam. Don't try to force it down my throat. I have my own interpretation.

Actually, no. That'sin the Holy Qur'an and aHadith.

Also in the Quran:
Fight anyone who doesn't believe in Allah until they pay the Jizya (Quran 9:29)
Fight any believer who is near you (Quran 9:123)

Also in the Hadith:
"I [Muhammad] will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslims" (Sahih Muslim 4366)
Muhammad and his followers mass-murdered captive men and teenagers (Abu Dawud 4390)
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Gages Icelandic Army
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gages Icelandic Army » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 am

HATOOTEHLAND wrote:please don't do this

I came to nation states to escape a depression

I may disagree with NS on some of the stats they give my nation when I choose issues. But I do have pride in NS for the fact that they allow topics that are tough for some of us to hear. Don't take this thread as something to depress you. Use it to strengthen you. If it starts to get to be too much, leave the forum. But defend your faith as long as you believe in it. If you think it's a religion of peace, then prove it.

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 am

Crockerland wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Actually, no. That'sin the Holy Qur'an and aHadith.

Also in the Quran:
Fight anyone who doesn't believe in Allah until they pay the Jizya (Quran 9:29)
Fight any believer who is near you (Quran 9:123)

Also in the Hadith:
"I [Muhammad] will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslims" (Sahih Muslim 4366)
Muhammad and his followers mass-murdered captive men and teenagers (Abu Dawud 4390)

Yep. That's right. Except for the last sentence.
Last edited by Kubumba Tribe on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:01 am

Last edited by Kubumba Tribe on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:01 am

Any sufficiently large religion will be capable of being interpreted by practitioners in radically different manners. Islam is no exception. It's a religion of peace and a religion of war. It's a a religion of progress and a religion of reaction. Attempting to categorize it as exclusively one thing is ridiculous. To truly understand a faith, you must study it, and speak to its practicioners. Even the fundamentalists have reasons for believing what they do.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:01 am

May I ask what is a religion of peace? Truly?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:01 am

Chernobyliya wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Firstly, quit dodging the question. Does Exodus 21:24 promote violence or not?

Secondly, you speak for all the christians on earth?

Notice that i said "Secondly, i already implied i don't believe in most of the bible being the actual word of god, so there is that".

What you're saying is still not an argument, also it does promote violence and i do not believe that its the actual word of god.

I know that you said that, but other Christians do believe that it is the word of god. Thus the point of asking if you speak Christians on earth.

So, you acknowledge that it does promote violence and yet you criticize Islam for the same thing?

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:02 am

Saiwania wrote:
Crockerland wrote:It is almost comical what an awful human being Muhammad was, like when he ordered the murder of a 120 year old man named Abu Afak simply for reciting poetry against him, his cruelty and malice were so over the top it's a little funny.

I really have to question anyone making it to 120 years of age back then what with a lack of modern dentistry and hygiene, along with any number of things which used to kill people but are easily prevented or is no longer as much of a problem in today's context. But whatever, I'll roll with it- 120 years is practically speaking; the maximum length of time any person has managed to reach through purely natural means. Murdered or not, someone that old was going to die soon regardless.

Regardless, ramming a sword through his liver in his sleep for reciting poetry was unnecessary. 120 was an unlikely number and may have been a figure of speech simply meaning he was a very, very old man, much like 70 times 7 in Matthew 18:22 doesn't likely mean an actual 490.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Chernobyliya
Envoy

Founded: Oct 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernobyliya » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Chernobyliya wrote:
Notice that i said "Secondly, i already implied i don't believe in most of the bible being the actual word of god, so there is that".

What you're saying is still not an argument, also it does promote violence and i do not believe that its the actual word of god.

I know that you said that, but other Christians do believe that it is the word of god. Thus the point of asking if you speak Christians on earth.

So, you acknowledge that it does promote violence and yet you criticize Islam for the same thing?

FOR THE 1000TH TIME.

WHAT WAS BELIEVED IN 1000 YEARS AGO AND HAS CHANGED BELIEFS OVER THE YEARS AND REFORMED WHILST ISLAM HAS NOT CHANGED BELIEFS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT.
A nation based on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Puppet of Southwest Mankuta and The Pickman Project
In this history, Chernobyl was purged of most mutants but radiation and all the various factions still exist. In the wake of the military attempting to take over, The Zone negotiated under the terms that if they did not get independence and freedom, they will cause another nuclear meltdown.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature

News: Military pulls out of SAB

National Anthem
Most of the country is under a stable government under a military, whilst other factions are dispersed in minor locations

I'm a white, conservative Christian and a segregationist. Umad HRC?

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

Assalamu 'Alaikum wa RaHmatullahi wa Barakatihuh, I'm out this thread.
May Allah guide you all, Aameen.

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am

Chernobyliya wrote:ISLAM HAS NOT CHANGED BELIEFS

It's not supposed to.

Free Rhenish States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Rhenish States » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:Assalamu 'Alaikum wa RaHmatullahi wa Barakatihuh, I'm out this thread.

Same. Got to go.
I don't care about the opinions of people I don't even think about. Est-ce que tu comprends? Ça m'est égal.
Wer in einem gewissen Alter nicht merkt, dass er hauptsächlich von Idioten umgeben ist, merkt es aus einem gewissen Grunde nicht. - Kurt Götz
TGs are welcome, I don't bite at all... Or so do I think.
Быть русским значит быть святым, расистом, экстремистом, жидобоем, и мишенью стать для всех исчадий зла.
I am not trillingual, I am sexlingual.
The undisputed Führer of all Germans on Nationstates. Know your leader!
!I believe in the white race!

Chernobyliya
Envoy

Founded: Oct 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernobyliya » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:
Chernobyliya wrote:ISLAM HAS NOT CHANGED BELIEFS

It's not supposed to.

Therefore it is still violent.

Islam is still not a religion of peace.
A nation based on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Puppet of Southwest Mankuta and The Pickman Project
In this history, Chernobyl was purged of most mutants but radiation and all the various factions still exist. In the wake of the military attempting to take over, The Zone negotiated under the terms that if they did not get independence and freedom, they will cause another nuclear meltdown.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature

News: Military pulls out of SAB

National Anthem
Most of the country is under a stable government under a military, whilst other factions are dispersed in minor locations

I'm a white, conservative Christian and a segregationist. Umad HRC?

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:Assalamu 'Alaikum wa RaHmatullahi wa Barakatihuh, I'm out this thread.

I'd say ditto if that means "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this thread"
> out b4 those who humored my questions, comments, remarks and posts are sad. Don't worry, you're still a lovely lad/lass/other/indecipherable mass of Lovecraftian tentacles. I may pop back in when there are cooler heads that are interested in solutions rather than problems. Maybe.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 am

Chernobyliya wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

FOR THE 1000TH TIME.

WHAT WAS BELIEVED IN 1000 YEARS AGO AND HAS CHANGED BELIEFS OVER THE YEARS AND REFORMED WHILST ISLAM HAS NOT CHANGED BELIEFS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT.

What are you even talking about? What does this have to do with anything?

Non Sequiturs are not arguments.

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 am

Chernobyliya wrote:
Kubumba Tribe wrote:It's not supposed to.

'Still violent, not anything else, just blood, blood, and more blood, like a bunch of savage VIkings'.
Also, I agree that Al-Islam isn't a religion of peace.

Hertotia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hertotia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:10 am

Islam is as much a religion of peace as, say, Christianity. It has a violent past and some violent radicals today, but the majority of adherents are good people who'd never do anything bad "for God."

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:11 am

Chernobyliya wrote:
Kubumba Tribe wrote:It's not supposed to.

By your logic, no religions are peaceful.

Shemlia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shemlia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:13 am

Islam is a relgion of peace! Fact! I am an atheist not a triggered muslim.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:13 am

I am not sure how relevant the names of the swords are in this.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:14 am

Shemlia wrote:Islam is a relgion of peace! Fact! I am an atheist not a triggered muslim.

?

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am

Immoren wrote:I am not sure how relevant the names of the swords are in this.

?

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Mefpan wrote:As it turns out, I prefer cultures that don't encourage the stoning of people that openly display their affection to one another despite not being engaged, or people who happen to have a fondness for the same gender. I also prefer cultures in which absolute submission to the will of an invisible, inactive divine being that has allegedly passed down its alleged will through an alleged prophet is not the expected social norm.

Because obviously, world-wide Islam is a monoculture.

Curiously enough, it has a much more consistent set of morals than the "Christian" occident nowadays, which has by large separated the everloving fuck out of church and state. Morals that are not necessarily the most tolerant. And what little drive there is to secularize Islam is absolutely eclipsed by the voices that insist that the way to do things is to drive it even further back into the fucking dark ages.

Islam in its form as it was in its prophet's time was a fucking problem. Islam in its current form is, or more appropriately has a fucking problem. Islam, for it to not be a problem in the future, needs to be secularized. There needs to be a fucking drive from within Islam to make clear to anyone who considers themselves a Muslim that persecuting unbelivers is not okay. That persecuting homosexuals is not okay. That persecuting people for extramarital relationships is not okay. That persecuting people for daring to leave the faith behind is not okay. That persecuting people for offenses of their fathers and forefathers, even if the West is currently well on its way to forget that, is still not okay.

Just holding ears shut and eyes closed does fuck all to solve the problem. It's still there, we're just pretending to not notice it.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General