NATION

PASSWORD

Julian Assange's Internet Intentionally Cut Out

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Julian Assange's Internet Intentionally Cut Out

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:49 am

https://www.rt.com/news/362985-julian-a ... rnet-link/

WikiLeaks has activated “contingency plans” after its co-founder’s internet service was intentionally cut off by a state actor, the media organization said in a tweet.

Julian Assange's internet link has been intentionally severed by a state party. We have activated the appropriate contingency plans.
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 17, 2016

The internet is one of the few, if not only, available ways for Julian Assange, who has been locked up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London for more than four years, to maintain contact with the outside world.

Could this have happened because of his release of thousands of hacked emails by Clinton and Podesta? Whatever the reason, I am worried. The internet is his only real way with contacting with the outside world and without the internet, it will be harder to release more emails.

What do you guys think?
Korwin-Mikke 2020
Տխերք հավակեկ բոզերա. Կոոնել կոոնելով Արաչ ենկ երտոոմ մինչեվ Բակու

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Mixed: Fascism, Anarcho Capitalism, Donald Trump
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:51 am

The Portland Territory wrote:https://www.rt.com/news/362985-julian-assange-internet-link/

WikiLeaks has activated “contingency plans” after its co-founder’s internet service was intentionally cut off by a state actor, the media organization said in a tweet.

Julian Assange's internet link has been intentionally severed by a state party. We have activated the appropriate contingency plans.

The internet is one of the few, if not only, available ways for Julian Assange, who has been locked up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London for more than four years, to maintain contact with the outside world.

Could this have happened because of his release of thousands of hacked emails by Clinton and Podesta? Whatever the reason, I am worried. The internet is his only real way with contacting with the outside world and without the internet, it will be harder to release more emails.

What do you guys think?

Is their any evidence that this was done by a state, or even deliberately, other than Wikileaks' word?

As to the insinuation that it was done by the Clintons or the Democrats, that is as far as I am aware completely baseless speculation, and absolutely shameful.

Why not just stand up and say that you're a mouthpiece for Putin/Trump 2016 if you're going to jump to biased conclusions without evidence?
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:55 am

What contingency plan is there exactly? If Assange doesn't have internet access, then he effectively cannot broadcast or communicate his message to the outside world except via sneakernet or one or more intermediaries which can be intercepted.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 am

It's hard for me to be sympathetic. Whatever happened, (and who besides Wikileaks says they were acting on behalf of the state?) he's avoided those rape charges for way too long. If they can somehow flush him out, I'd be glad, regardless of how useful the information his organization uncovers might be.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:https://www.rt.com/news/362985-julian-assange-internet-link/

What do you guys think?

Is their any evidence that this was done by a state, or even deliberately, other than Wikileaks' word?

As to the insinuation that it was done by the Clintons or the Democrats, that is as far as I am aware completely baseless speculation, and absolutely shameful.

Why not just stand up and say that you're a mouthpiece for Putin/Trump 2016 if you're going to jump to biased conclusions without evidence?

It just happened, so no solid evidence as of yet. But from what I know, Assange uses internet from the government (given he's been living in an embassy) so this is no mistake.

It's not baseless at all, really. Clinton tried to shut them up before, and she would want to do it again, especially after now.

You know, I would, but no. I hate Putin and I love Trump. I don't want to jump to conclusions, there's no evidence for it, but there's no evidence against it either.
Korwin-Mikke 2020

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

Implacable Death
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Implacable Death » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 am

Idzequitch wrote:It's hard for me to be sympathetic. Whatever happened, (and who besides Wikileaks says they were acting on behalf of the state?) he's avoided those rape charges for way too long. If they can somehow flush him out, I'd be glad, regardless of how useful the information his organization uncovers might be.

Rape charges may have been fabricated because people don't like what he has to say.
Okay so apparently these days it's hot and happening to show your gender.
I am MALE. WTF is cis? I am MALE. I like to belch and laugh at fart jokes.

Oh, by the way: gender and sex are the same thing. They are part of a binary system.
Transgenderism is not supported by scientific evidence.

The greatest evils of our day: islamism, liberalism, George Soros

How can you accuse me of evil? Though these deeds be unsavory, no one will argue: good shall follow from them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 am

What do you guys think?

So you support a foreign power trying to influence US elections then?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:03 am

Vassenor wrote:

What do you guys think?

If he is not part of a foreign government, then yes. He's releasing useful information that the voters should know about
Korwin-Mikke 2020

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:05 am

Implacable Death wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:It's hard for me to be sympathetic. Whatever happened, (and who besides Wikileaks says they were acting on behalf of the state?) he's avoided those rape charges for way too long. If they can somehow flush him out, I'd be glad, regardless of how useful the information his organization uncovers might be.

Rape charges may have been fabricated because people don't like what he has to say.

Then I'm sure he could find some proof of that. He's innocent until proven guilty. Though in my view, he's already screaming that he's guilty by hiding from the trial. The man who reveals everyone else's secrets has something to hide himself.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:07 am

The Portland Territory wrote:

It just happened, so no solid evidence as of yet. But from what I know, Assange uses internet from the government (given he's been living in an embassy) so this is no mistake.

Governments can't have technical difficulties?

I mean, maybe it was deliberate, but you're saying virtually nothing to prove that case.

It's not baseless at all, really. Clinton tried to shut them up before, and she would want to do it again, especially after now.

1. Source. Now.

2. "They opposed him before" is not proof that they are connected to this. Its not even really evidence. Assange has a lot of enemies who would potentially have the capability to do this.

You know, I would, but no. I hate Putin and I love Trump.

That must be difficult, given how much Trump has praised Putin, how he openly invited Putin to continue his illegal interference in our election, and how much of Europe and the Middle East he apparently intends to let Putin take over without complaint.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, there's no evidence for it,

Then you concede that their is no reason to suggest Clinton or the Democrats are involved?

but there's no evidence against it either.

Innocent until proven guilty.

"No evidence against something" does not mean that it is remotely plausible or worth suggesting as a serious possibility. Their is no evidence here that you are not a serial killer, but it would be highly inappropriate for me to suggest that maybe you are one, because I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

You see my point?
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 am

RT? Oh.

Come back with a proper source.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:12 am

Vassenor wrote:So you support a foreign power trying to influence US elections then?
The Clinton camp appears to.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 am

Costa Fierro wrote:RT? Oh.

Yeah.

RT is literally a known propaganda outlet for the Kremlin, i.e. the people who are using Assange to try to "Make American Great Again" (i.e. make it an unstable, dictatorial Russian puppet).

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 am

Perhaps they just have shitty BT Internet.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:13 am

Hirota wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So you support a foreign power trying to influence US elections then?
The Clinton camp appears to.

First, Wikileaks is not a credible source on the election, given their open hostility towards Clinton and habit of leaking stuff likely hacked by Trump's friends in the Kremlin.

Secondly, "They did it to" is not a defence.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:15 am

Yawn.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10 ... ernet.html

Next time, come back with a proper complaint.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Deamonopolis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 21, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Deamonopolis » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:15 am

Shitty british ISPs are a zionist conspiracy

Implacable Death
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Implacable Death » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 am

Vassenor wrote:

What do you guys think?

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/31/the_cash_donations_hillary_simply_has_no_answer_for_partner/

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/25/why-did-the-saudi-regime-and-other-gulf-tyrannies-donate-millions-to-the-clinton-foundation/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hacked-emails-show-extent-of-foreign-government-donations-to-clinton-foundation/2016/10/16/ce871a82-9319-11e6-a6a3-d50061aa9fae_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/foreign-governments-gave-millions-to-foundation-while-clinton-was-at-state-dept/2015/02/25/31937c1e-bc3f-11e4-8668-4e7ba8439ca6_story.html

But let me guess. It's okay because it's Clinton who needs to win at all costs, even if that cost is letting powers for good ( :rofl: ) like Saudi Arabia get a say in American matters.
Okay so apparently these days it's hot and happening to show your gender.
I am MALE. WTF is cis? I am MALE. I like to belch and laugh at fart jokes.

Oh, by the way: gender and sex are the same thing. They are part of a binary system.
Transgenderism is not supported by scientific evidence.

The greatest evils of our day: islamism, liberalism, George Soros

How can you accuse me of evil? Though these deeds be unsavory, no one will argue: good shall follow from them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 am

First, Wikileaks is not a credible source on the election, given their open hostility towards Clinton and habit of leaking stuff likely hacked by Trump's friends in the Kremlin.

1. Ok, then that means that I should not trust NYT, CNN, MSNBC, or Huffington Post because of their aggressiveness towards Trump :eyebrow:

2. It can be, actually. If you're going down, bring your opponent down with you
Korwin-Mikke 2020

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:First, Wikileaks is not a credible source on the election, given their open hostility towards Clinton and habit of leaking stuff likely hacked by Trump's friends in the Kremlin.
Ad Hom's are not credible arguments.
I'm not saying it is. I'm saying there is evidence both parties are in bed with foreign governments and it's very silly to cry about one party actions whilst sticking your fingers in your ears about the other parties.

But, that seems to be what America as a whole has decided to do in this election. Either Trump is in bed with the Russians, or Clinton is in bed with the Qataris, Algerians etc etc. It's one or the other for Americans - maybe thats because they cannot process the concept that in a country of just under 320 million people they couldn't find 2 people more electable than these two.
Last edited by Hirota on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:18 am

Hirota wrote:

Yawn.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10 ... ernet.html

Next time, come back with a proper complaint.

Shit, even NYT is reporting on it. Surprised
Korwin-Mikke 2020

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am

The Portland Territory wrote:

1. Ok, then that means that I should not trust NYT, CNN, MSNBC, or Huffington Post because of their aggressiveness towards Trump :eyebrow:

Not trust absolutely, no. Ideally, one should try to corroborate with multiple sources.

Wikileaks is particularly lacking in credibility on this point, though.

Sure, if you have no moral standards and consider "spite" a justification for an act.

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 am

The Portland Territory wrote:1. Ok, then that means that I should not trust NYT, CNN, MSNBC, or Huffington Post because of their aggressiveness towards Trump :eyebrow:

Not trust absolutely, no. Ideally, one should try to corroborate with multiple sources.

Wikileaks is particularly lacking in credibility on this point, though.

Sure, if you have no moral standards and consider "spite" a justification for an act.

1. How is their credibility going down? Because they're exposing Clinton? :rofl:

2. Still a good strategy
Korwin-Mikke 2020

New-ish Bulgaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New-ish Bulgaria » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 am

>WikiLeaks produces evidence that shows the Hillary campaign and the Dems committed wrongdoings
>WikiLeaks isn't credible because they produce evidence that shows the Hillary campaign and the Dems committed wrongdoings
NIBNINJA* Top Stories: || Hunt, IT, SP, and Theo fighting civil wars; NIB fighting in all || Wartime Protocol Alpha & Week of Mourning || Florancian Terrorist Attacks ||

*New-ish Bulgaria National & International Journalism Association
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -T Pain
The New-ish Testament

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 am

Frank Zipper wrote:Perhaps they just have shitty BT Internet.

Or worse, TalkTalk.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General