NATION

PASSWORD

Dumb people shouldn't vote!?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Regarding ignorance...

kids should be allowed to vote
8%
kids should be allowed to allocate their taxes
5%
idiots should be allowed to vote
18%
idiots should be allowed to allocate their taxes
8%
kids should not be allowed to vote
20%
kids should not be allowed to allocate their taxes
17%
idiots should not be allowed to vote
12%
idiots should not be allowed to allocate their taxes
12%

Total votes : 682

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Dumb people shouldn't vote!?

Postby Xerographica » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Should dumb people be allowed to vote? That’s the provocative question posed by Jason Brennan, an associate professor of strategy, economics, ethics, and public policy at Georgetown University and the author of the recently released book Against Democracy, in an essay published last week on Aeon and on Quartz. - Jesse Singal, What a Georgetown Professor Got Wrong When He Argued That Maybe Dumb People Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Vote

Brennan, of Bleeding Hearts Libertarians, recently wrote a book advocating epistocracy – the argument that politics ought to be restricted to those who know enough to participate in it. Specifically, he suggests among other possibilities that voting ought to be restricted to those who demonstrate in an exam that they have sufficient knowledge of politics to be allowed participate. - Henry Farrell, Uber Menschen

It's super fascinating to see so much backlash against requiring a license to vote. Part of the fascination stems in no small part from the fact that ignorance is frequently used as an argument against allowing people to choose where their taxes go (pragmatarianism). Somewhat ironically, my counter-argument is rational ignorance.

Bob: people are too ignorant to allocate their taxes
Me: you're ignorant about rational ignorance

If you're not entirely ignorant about economics then you know that our society is based on a division of labor. Specialization increases productivity. But a division of labor is the same thing as a division of knowledge. However, a division of knowledge really isn't an argument against choice. You'll have to search pretty long and hard in order to find an economist who will argue that doctors shouldn't be allowed to choose which accountants, plumbers, mechanics, lawyers, contractors and gardeners they allocate their money to.

What would happen if we did prevent doctors from choosing who they allocated their money to? We can logically guess that it would no longer be worthwhile for doctors to engage in due diligence. There'd be no point in the doctors spending their time and energy shopping around.

The idea of a division of labor/knowledge means that it's rational that we aren't experts in everything. But the idea of rational ignorance means that choice is correlated with a certain amount of knowledge outside our area of expertise. This "extra" knowledge is eliminated when choice is eliminated.

We don't allow kids to vote. Therefore... what? Therefore we can reasonably guess that kids are more knowledge about things they can choose (musicians) than things they can't choose (representatives). We don't allow kids to allocate their taxes. Therefore... what? Therefore, we can reasonably guess that kids are more knowledge about things they can choose (video games) than things they can't choose (environmental protection).

Should we be worried about kids spending their taxes on the wrong things? Well yeah. In all cases we should be worried about money being spent on the wrong things. But... relatively speaking... it's not like kids would have very many taxes to spend. Same thing with idiots.

In my opinion... Jason Brennan is right to be worried about idiots... but he doesn't quite understand the relationship between choice and knowledge. He doesn't understand that more choice means more knowledge. As a result, he's trying to solve a really big problem by going in the really wrong direction. Right diagnosis, wrong remedy (rothberror).

What's your opinion?
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Xerographica wrote:What would happen if we did prevent doctors from choosing who they allocated their money to? We can logically guess that it would no longer be worthwhile for doctors to engage in due diligence. There'd be no point in the doctors spending their time and energy shopping around.

Given one doctor's taxes being so small as to be basically irrelevant to the overall federal budget, there is still no point in the doctor spending time and energy shopping around about things that don't directly benefit him because they go into some big pool.

The central problem. Again. Even in your system, it's still rational to be ignorant about the structure and funding of federal agencies.

Regarding poll tests - we tried those. They were used to discriminate based on race instead of intelligence. These days, they would probably be used to discriminate based on class instead of intelligence, or political orientation instead of intelligence. It's just safer to let the idiots vote than to let people choose who gets to vote, because they discriminate on the basis of other things not related to intelligence instead of intelligence.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 pm

ive met too many stupid smart people to worry that stupid people ought not vote.
whatever

Balkenreich
Senator

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Limiting voting rights for any reason seems like it would be harmful to democracy, rather than strengthen it.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit
American, full of vinegar and out of fucks to give.

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Idiots can, of course, equal a race or members of an ideology. Only use would be to keep a party in power.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi, precious.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 pm

I vote we put a monthly thread posting cap for the OP. Who's with me?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

-Fahrong-
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby -Fahrong- » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Giving power to the people has already gone too far. Democracy is the means to its own destruction, it is unsustainable, it is fundamentally disastrous in its inherent effect of polarizing populations.
Formerly Atelia, born on the 7th of December 2011. Had 6001 controversial posts.
English is my third language, so sorry if I make mistakes

Evangelos Vasiliadis the Orthodox Christian Russian Pontic Greek cyber-commando.
Agrarian Corporatist, Reactionary Monarchist, Perennial Traditionalist, Moralist, Eurasianist, Byzantinist.
With a tinge of Autarkism, Mysticism, Theocratism, Stoicism and Militarism.

The Peoples of Xaer
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Peoples of Xaer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Best solution to dumb people voting, without any intelligence tests, licenses to vote, and other discriminatory practices:

Get rid of dumb people. Y'know, by fixing and improving the education system so that everybody has a well-rounded education and is taught critical thinking skills. The fewer dumb people there are, the fewer dumb people will be voting. Problem solved!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Incidentally, regarding the poll, how old of kids are we talking about?

Because I've often thought that we should probably lower the voting age to 16. It seems ridiculous that they're responsible enough to drive a 4,000 pound vehicle at over 100 feet per second, but not responsible enough to choose who they like for president.

Now, regarding a 3 year old, that's basically just a proxy vote for the parent, so I wouldn't allow that.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Instead of denying a large group of people their rights, economics and money management should be required courses in high school.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:47 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Instead of denying a large group of people their rights, economics and money management should be required courses in high school.

Economics is usually taught in school, but it's typically an elective. There's an argument for making it mandatory.

Money management definitely needs to be taught (in our school, they call that JAG, but it also involves things like how to get and keep a job, etc).
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egemore
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Egemore » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:51 pm

I would like to take a moment to point out how terrible this poll is. It looks like only 23% of people support the rights of dumb people to vote, but it is calculating it as a percentage of all responses. There are barely 12 posts in this thread and some of them are the same people!

Obviously, anybody who was "dumb" enough to design that poll shouldn't be allowed to vote. /s

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Only idiots think idiots shouldn't be allowed to vote.

There's too many factors that go into making an idiot an idiot, and well, it's just not worth the arbitrary lines that it would necessitate.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Not just the dumb people - I'd rather see democracy abolished entirely.

A country should be run by people who actually know what they are doing, and have a vested interest in keeping things stable and prosperous rather than just enriching themselves and their election sponsors for the duration of their term, come hell or high water afterwards. These people should absolutely not be selected in a popularity contest by appealing to the basest wants of a dumbed-down rabble that an election these days typically is, but by their actual competence and qualification to perform the functions of the office they are to assume. Modern democracy contradicts the principles of meritocracy, since it is rarely if ever the most competent, qualified, honest and patriotic citizens who are elected to office (and that's assuming the election system even works as advertised, i.e. isn't rigged). Most of the time, it's the most smooth-tongued and audacious liars with the most influential sponsors who care little for the fate of the nation, seeing it as merely another resource pool at which to enrich themselves and their supporters. The average voter these days (and by "average" I mean 85 or more percent) is so lazy, dumbed-down and politically illiterate that such people should be driven away from the election booths with a shitty stick by anyone who cares about the future of his nation.

A democracy can work properly in a nation where all or at least most of the eligible citizens actively take interest in politics and consider it their most sacred duty to work together in governing their state. Which is in stark contrast to modern "democracies" where the only vestige of actual democracy is a symbolic election once every four years to legitimize the authority of the corrupt oligarchs and their cronies in power, where voting is the only political activity expected or desired from the dumbed-down and apathetic common rabble, and where most people cannot be bothered to exercise even this nominal political activity because of it's evident futility.

Which is why the so-called democracy of today needs to go. The whole political system in the West is rotten to the core and needs to be redesigned from ground up if our civilization and it's many nations are to have a future.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Not just the dumb people - I'd rather see democracy abolished entirely.

A country should be run by people who actually know what they are doing, and have a vested interest in keeping things stable and prosperous rather than just enriching themselves and their election sponsors for the duration of their term, come hell or high water afterwards. These people should absolutely not be selected in a popularity contest by appealing to the basest wants of a dumbed-down rabble that an election these days typically is, but by their actual competence and qualification to perform the functions of the office they are to assume. Modern democracy contradicts the principles of meritocracy, since it is rarely if ever the most competent, qualified, honest and patriotic citizens who are elected to office (and that's assuming the election system even works as advertised, i.e. isn't rigged). Most of the time, it's the most smooth-tongued and audacious liars with the most influential sponsors who care little for the fate of the nation, seeing it as merely another resource pool at which to enrich themselves and their supporters. The average voter these days (and by "average" I mean 85 or more percent) is so lazy, dumbed-down and politically illiterate that such people should be driven away from the election booths with a shitty stick by anyone who cares about the future of his nation.

A democracy can work properly in a nation where all or at least most of the eligible citizens actively take interest in politics and consider it their most sacred duty to work together in governing their state. Which is in stark contrast to modern "democracies" where the only vestige of actual democracy is a symbolic election once every four years to legitimize the authority of the corrupt oligarchs and their cronies in power, where voting is the only political activity expected or desired from the dumbed-down and apathetic common rabble, and where most people cannot be bothered to exercise even this nominal political activity because of it's evident futility.

Which is why the so-called democracy of today needs to go. The whole political system in the West is rotten to the core and needs to be redesigned from ground up if our civilization and it's many nations are to have a future.

I mentioned before that, if you want to make me King, I do have previous experience.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Not just the dumb people - I'd rather see democracy abolished entirely.

Man, dictators/kings love their people so much. Remember the good old days of despotism, where corrupt kings ruled corrupt dukes ruling corrupt counts which enforced practical slavery on it's subjects?

Those were the days.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:39 pm

I shouldn't be allowed to vote no.
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 pm

No.

Democracy, however perverse it may have become in recent years, is still the best system we have.

To deny a considerable swath of the population from making decisions is absurd. Their vote is just as valid as the circle-jerkers at Mensa or the smart people that actually matter.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

New Axiom
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Every citizen over 18 should be allowed to vote, even if they are stupid or make stupid choices. It's part of being an American.
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.

Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Who defines "dumb" or "idiot"?

Because if you use intelligence to restrict voting rights, congratulations- you've just handed that person/organization the keys to your government.

I would say if someone is capable of understanding what a vote is, and casting one, and if they are legally an adult, they should have every right to vote.

I'd even be open to allowing minors to vote as well, perhaps, if not for the risk of their parents unduly influencing their vote.

Although...

You could make an argument that children, being citizens, have the right to representation in government, and that like many other choices that have to be made involving children, because they are too young to make that choice, their parents should make it on their behalf.

In which case, the parents would vote as their child's proxy/legal representative until they were old enough to do so.

But their are all sorts of problems with that.

Probably best to just leave things as they are.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:24 pm

There are no objective measures of intelligence, so obviously this would just be used a method of discriminating against people the test-giver doesn't like. Such as how it happened in the past.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Frankly no one should vote since when does a dying species have time to worry about such petty things as voting?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Galloism wrote:Incidentally, regarding the poll, how old of kids are we talking about?

Because I've often thought that we should probably lower the voting age to 16. It seems ridiculous that they're responsible enough to drive a 4,000 pound vehicle at over 100 feet per second, but not responsible enough to choose who they like for president.

Now, regarding a 3 year old, that's basically just a proxy vote for the parent, so I wouldn't allow that.

I would concur. If you can drive, you should be old enough to vote!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Alvalero
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alvalero » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:43 pm

A country should be run by people who actually know what they are doing, and have a vested interest in keeping things stable and prosperous rather than just enriching themselves and their election sponsors for the duration of their term, come hell or high water afterwards.

Both my best friend and I agree that benevolent authoritarianism is the best form of government. Problem with that is, like libertarians who think privatisation of everything is best, is that it is idealism and not based in reality. You may get one benevolent ruler but when they die there is no garuntee that their replacement will be benevolent.
The problem with modern democracy isn't that the most qualified don't get elected, it is that the most qulaified don't bother trying. And this is also a problem with your idea because you can't force the best to do a job they don't want.
Zander Cerebella
Prince of Aarhus

Duke of New Hyperion(Wintreath)
Autarch of New Hyperion

Former Delegate, Vice Delegate & Statsminister of Balder

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General