NATION

PASSWORD

Is the Upcoming U.S. Election That Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Upcoming U.S. Election That Bad?

Yes
71%
No
22%
Maybe So
8%

Total votes : 93

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 pm

DrWinner wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:I was looking forward to my first vote. I'm not planning on voting in november, fuck hilary(and trump for that matter).

Vote third party. While it might not win, it will show that that third party is gaining political clout among Americans, and that, perhaps in an election or two, said third party will be a serious contender for POTUS.

((Gary Johnson, 2k16. Libertarians.))

I hate the libertarians, and the greens for that matter... Plus I hate reagan and his ilk so the constitutional party is out.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Implacable Death wrote:
Why is there even a bipartisan system to begin with?

FPTP encourages it.

And the presidential reinforces it. By themselves they can be overcome in some cases but together it is almost impossible.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:24 pm

No. China and Russia aren't going to be nuked. There's not going to be a ban on Muslims entering the county. Gun's aren't going anywhere. The supreme court and congress simply put won't allow most of either candidate's policy to be implemented.

You better believe that wall is going up though.
Unreachable.

Implacable Death
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Implacable Death » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:59 am

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:No. China and Russia aren't going to be nuked. There's not going to be a ban on Muslims entering the county. Gun's aren't going anywhere. The supreme court and congress simply put won't allow most of either candidate's policy to be implemented.

What amuses me is that there's walls like that everywhere across the world, but no, the one Trump wants to build is the bad one.
Okay so apparently these days it's hot and happening to show your gender.
I am MALE. WTF is cis? I am MALE. I like to belch and laugh at fart jokes.

Oh, by the way: gender and sex are the same thing. They are part of a binary system.
Transgenderism is not supported by scientific evidence.

The greatest evils of our day: islamism, liberalism, George Soros

How can you accuse me of evil? Though these deeds be unsavory, no one will argue: good shall follow from them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:02 am

Implacable Death wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:No. China and Russia aren't going to be nuked. There's not going to be a ban on Muslims entering the county. Gun's aren't going anywhere. The supreme court and congress simply put won't allow most of either candidate's policy to be implemented.

What amuses me is that there's walls like that everywhere across the world, but no, the one Trump wants to build is the bad one.

That wall is far larger then any "similar" wall. That alone is problem enough.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:11 am

Implacable Death wrote:What amuses me is that there's walls like that everywhere across the world, but no, the one Trump wants to build is the bad one.

The United States of America isn't the whole wide world, yo.

I can't quite recall if any previous administration had bankrolled a wall with the same intentions Trump has with his, but even if one or two did, that would've been in a past out of memory with us. So one could say building walls to keep those scummy scammy foreigners out isn't an American tradition.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Thaumatopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thaumatopia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 am

Implacable Death wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:No, Americans won't. Protest votes are just that. Protest votes. They aren't necessarily endorsements of a third party's policies, let alone its ideology. All it is is a vote against the current political regime. Nothing more and nothing less. Thinking that protest voting this year will lead to increased support for said party above, say, 2% is ludicrous and an example of wishful thinking and cognitive dissonance.

History bares out that relatively successful third party runs don't lead to a breakup of the two-party system.

Why is there even a bipartisan system to begin with?

Imagine a robust political system with many parties, but there are 3 top parties are taking most of the vote: Party A takes 40%, B and C are ~ 30% and 30%. Party A wins the election, but if B and C have aligned interests, they can merge, to get 60%.

This general process, over many election cycles, encourages larger parties to scavenge smaller parties with aligned views, as the merged party can win where the two separate parties couldn't. Smaller parties merge or collapse; and new parties are discouraged from forming as they would go into an environment where they only way they would achieve anything, would be to merge with existing larger parties.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General