NATION

PASSWORD

The Sixties Scoop

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:43 am

Zostra wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:
Apologies are not sufficient and sometimes not necessary.

What is needed is mutual dialogue in order for all parties to move on. It's more sincere and carries a deeper level of meaning and intimacy. It can be simply a small sample of people, but what matters is this idea of reconciliation and open forum.

"The things that were done in the past were indeed abhorrent, and we accept that for what it is. We understand the grievances and your concern over such events that have occurred, etc etc"

It makes it so that it is not a guilt trip AND not a blatant 'im sorreh' which tends to do nothing at all.

Oh, I definitely agree that just shrugging and saying "sorry guys" is not anywhere close to what needs to happen. I was just talking about the principle of it. If the Trudeau government for example apologized and went about taking corrective action, he wouldn't be saying "I, Justin Trudeau, apologize etc." nor should he be. But his government represents, theoretically. the Canadian state and so would be acting on behalf of it, (if that makes sense).

I gotcha. This is pretty much what should happen in order for any progress in amends and sense of 'moving on'
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:44 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Yes, I said it because the west has done the most genocidal/enslaving acts in history. I never said they were the most deplorable. That's just stuffing words in my mouth.

Saying that of which is disingenuous considering we only have recorded history to go off.

Not disagreeing with your overall sentiment here, but I doubt prehistoric tribes managed to kill or oppress on a larger scale than the imperial/industrialized states of the last millennium.
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:44 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:It only enacts the policies forwarded from its constituencies, it isn't the Government whom must apologise, but those who forwarded the policy and the elected administrative party.

mutual dialogue and reconciliation could happen independent of gov't control right?

theoretically it could.

Yes. It could.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:44 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:You're a Kiwi right, I doubt you know what it's like to live in areas with a large indigenous populations such as Cairns, or places in the Northern Territories.

There are similar places in the North Island full of destitution and rampant crime.

Camicon wrote:Politicians change with elections, bureaucrats and other staff do not.

Not only that, but policies can remain due to institutional biases and racism. I mean Australia transitioned between vaguely left and right wing governments, but White Australia still remained regardless of which party was in power.

Poverty and Rampant crime have nothing to do with the topic, it isn't Relevant to a social pressure that pressures people into saying sorry for the deeds of the past.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:45 am

Zostra wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Saying that of which is disingenuous considering we only have recorded history to go off.

Not disagreeing with your overall sentiment here, but I doubt prehistoric tribes managed to kill or oppress on a larger scale than the imperial/industrialized states of the last millennium.

No, it doesn't however rule out the possibility of a fallen civilisation existing before recorded history, as doubtful as that is.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:47 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:mutual dialogue and reconciliation could happen independent of gov't control right?

theoretically it could.

Yes. It could.

Then I think it would be a good alternative if no shit gets done and people want to end the guilt train, no?
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:48 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Your point?
Western Civilisation has invented and pioneered on the largest scale and the most.
No one is denying the bad that Western Civilisation has committed, you are the one who through the use of the word Typical framed it as a Characteristic unique to western civilisation.

:rofl:

Correction, the most significant inventions as of the last 400-500 years.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:49 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Yes. It could.

Then I think it would be a good alternative if no shit gets done and people want to end the guilt train, no?

Yes.
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Then I think it would be a good alternative if no shit gets done and people want to end the guilt train, no?

Yes.

this is just an idea... idk... spread it to your politically inclined friends because change and taking initiative is a good quality to have in life eh~? -wink wink nudge nudge-

;^)
Last edited by Nusaresa on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Sassinia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 am

আমি একজন বাঙালি
No, we aren't the Sassanids nor descendants of them.
..and no, we aren't Muslims, either.
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Head of State: King Ireni Murd
Capital City: Terz
Population: 7,000,000,000 and counting
RP Military: 31,000,000 active, 34,000,000 reserve
Tech: MT
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:53 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote: :rofl:

Just to give one example, An Indian invented the radio.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:54 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Yes.

this is just an idea... idk... spread it to your politically inclined friends because change and taking initiative is a good quality to have in life eh~? -wink wink nudge nudge-

;^)

Do you live in Quebec per chance? Hon, hon, hon...

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:this is just an idea... idk... spread it to your politically inclined friends because change and taking initiative is a good quality to have in life eh~? -wink wink nudge nudge-

;^)

Do you live in Quebec per chance? Hon, hon, hon...

I live in Ottawa does that count? More bilingual than say, Toronto since Quebec is across the river.

my french speaking skills are shit, i can read and write well enough but speaking im like 'hon hon non'
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:57 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Do you live in Quebec per chance? Hon, hon, hon...

I live in Ottawa does that count? More bilingual than say, Toronto since Quebec is across the river.

my french speaking skills are shit, i can read and write well enough but speaking im like 'hon hon non'

Close enough, I guess.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 am

I've corrected it so it says most significant inventions.

Austria-Hungary

Remote control

Belgium

Newspaper
Saxophone

Czech Republic

Soft contact lenses

France

Adding machine
Pressure cooker
Hot air balloon
Parachute
Submarine
Ambulance service
Photography
Airship
Helicopter
Animation
Cinema

Germany

Printing press
Newspaper
Clarinet
Pocket watch
Automated calculator
Light bulb
Microphone
TV
Petrol/gasoline & Diesel engines
Automobile (+engine, differential gear...)
Parachute (bagged)
Motorcycle
Jet engine
LCD screen
Walkman

Italy

Glasses
Viol and cello
Mechanical clock
Violin
Thermometer
Barometer
Piano
Telephone
Radio

Netherlands

Microscope
Telescope
Pendulum clock
Mercury thermometer
Audio tape
Video tape
CD
CD-ROM

Russia

Parachute (knapsack)
Tramway (electric)
Radio (receiver)
Tube TV
Helicopter

Sweden

Astronomical lenses
Dynamite
Switerland

Comic strips
Wrist watch

United Kingdom

Postage stamp
Fire extinguisher
Magazine
Steam engine
Refrigerator
Gas turbine
Light bulb
Locomotive
Railway
Lawn mower
Gas stove/cooker
Negative & colour photography
Metro/Subway
Radio
Loudspeaker
Jet engine
Video Games

USA

Steam boat
Submarine
Refrigerator
Telegraph
Tramway
Dishwasher
Regrigerator
Vacuum cleaner
Radio (transmission)
Phonograph
Cash register
Zipper
Electric stove/cooker
Electronic TV & TV Broadcast
Microwave oven
Atomic clock
Charge/credit card
Electronic calculator
Video games
Laserdisk
Photocopier
Air Conditioner
Tractor
Traffic lights
Parking meter

Australia

Black box flight recorder
Electronic pacemaker
Medical application of penicillin
Cochlear implant (bionic ear)
Electric drill
Tank-bred tuna system

That's not to mention the many medical advancements made by western civilisation or the metric ton of philosophies.

However I wish not to quibble, this argument could continue for days on end.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zostra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Do you live in Quebec per chance? Hon, hon, hon...

Better than Vancouver. I don't know anyone who's even close to bilingual here. Me included :/
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:03 am

Zostra wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:I live in Ottawa does that count? More bilingual than say, Toronto since Quebec is across the river.

Better than Vancouver. I don't know anyone who's even close to bilingual here. Me included :/

Vancouver is bilingual... if you are Chinese. Seriously the amount of Chinese spoken there makes me wonder with someone scrapped off bits of Shanghai, Hongkong, and Guangzhou and dumped it all into the city.

Oh wait.

That's sort of what happened anyways. :^)
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Zostra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:06 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Zostra wrote:

Vancouver is bilingual... if you are Chinese. Seriously the amount of Chinese spoken there makes me wonder with someone scrapped off bits of Shanghai, Hongkong, and Guangzhou and dumped it all into the city.

Oh wait.

That's sort of what happened anyways. :^)

True. Hong Kong Chinese have a pretty huge population here. Richmond in particular seems more Chinese than Caucasian, makes for good restaurants :p

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:07 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Just to give one example, An Indian invented the radio.

Bose' work in radio microwave optics was specifically directed towards studying the nature of the phenomenon and was not an attempt to develop radio into a communication medium.
Guglielmo Marconi an Italian inventor, proved the feasibility of radio communication. He sent and received his first radio signal in Italy in 1895. By 1899 he flashed the first wireless signal across the English Channel and two years later received the letter "S", telegraphed from England to Newfoundland.

He furthered the studies, he didn't create the first radio.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:37 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Austria-Hungary

Remote control

Belgium

Newspaper
Saxophone

Czech Republic

Soft contact lenses

France

Adding machine
Pressure cooker
Hot air balloon
Parachute
Submarine
Ambulance service
Photography
Airship
Helicopter
Animation
Cinema

Germany

Printing press
Newspaper
Clarinet
Pocket watch
Automated calculator
Light bulb
Microphone
TV
Parachute (bagged)
Motorcycle
Jet engine
LCD screen
Walkman

Italy

Glasses
Viol and cello
Mechanical clock
Violin
Thermometer
Barometer
Piano
Telephone
Radio

Netherlands

Microscope
Telescope
Pendulum clock
Mercury thermometer
Audio tape
Video tape
CD
CD-ROM

Russia

Parachute (knapsack)
Tramway (electric)
Radio (receiver)
Tube TV
Helicopter

Sweden

Astronomical lenses
Dynamite
Switerland

Comic strips
Wrist watch

United Kingdom

Postage stamp
Fire extinguisher
Magazine
Steam engine
Refrigerator
Gas turbine
Light bulb
Locomotive
Railway
Lawn mower
Gas stove/cooker
Metro/Subway
Radio
Loudspeaker
Jet engine
Video Games

USA

Steam boat
Submarine
Refrigerator
Telegraph
Tramway
Dishwasher
Regrigerator
Vacuum cleaner
Radio (transmission)
Phonograph
Cash register
Zipper
Electric stove/cooker
Microwave oven
Atomic clock
Charge/credit card
Electronic calculator
Video games
Laserdisk
Photocopier
Air Conditioner
Tractor
Traffic lights
Parking meter

Australia

Electronic pacemaker
Electric drill
Tank-bred tuna system

That's not to mention the many medical advancements made by western civilisation or the metric ton of philosophies.

To make it clear- the east was the spark, while the west was just lit by that spark, if you get what I'm saying.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Just to give one example, An Indian invented the radio.

Bose' work in radio microwave optics was specifically directed towards studying the nature of the phenomenon and was not an attempt to develop radio into a communication medium.
Guglielmo Marconi an Italian inventor, proved the feasibility of radio communication. He sent and received his first radio signal in Italy in 1895. By 1899 he flashed the first wireless signal across the English Channel and two years later received the letter "S", telegraphed from England to Newfoundland.

Same thing as above. He did preliminary stuff- Marconi developed on that.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:43 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Austria-Hungary

Remote control

Belgium

Newspaper
Saxophone

Czech Republic

Soft contact lenses

France

Adding machine
Pressure cooker
Hot air balloon
Parachute
Submarine
Ambulance service
Photography
Airship
Helicopter
Animation
Cinema

Germany

Printing press
Newspaper
Clarinet
Pocket watch
Automated calculator
Light bulb
Microphone
TV
Parachute (bagged)
Motorcycle
Jet engine
LCD screen
Walkman

Italy

Glasses
Viol and cello
Mechanical clock
Violin
Thermometer
Barometer
Piano
Telephone
Radio

Netherlands

Microscope
Telescope
Pendulum clock
Mercury thermometer
Audio tape
Video tape
CD
CD-ROM

Russia

Parachute (knapsack)
Tramway (electric)
Radio (receiver)
Tube TV
Helicopter

Sweden

Astronomical lenses
Dynamite
Switerland

Comic strips
Wrist watch

United Kingdom

Postage stamp
Fire extinguisher
Magazine
Steam engine
Refrigerator
Gas turbine
Light bulb
Locomotive
Railway
Lawn mower
Gas stove/cooker
Metro/Subway
Radio
Loudspeaker
Jet engine
Video Games

USA

Steam boat
Submarine
Refrigerator
Telegraph
Tramway
Dishwasher
Regrigerator
Vacuum cleaner
Radio (transmission)
Phonograph
Cash register
Zipper
Electric stove/cooker
Microwave oven
Atomic clock
Charge/credit card
Electronic calculator
Video games
Laserdisk
Photocopier
Air Conditioner
Tractor
Traffic lights
Parking meter

Australia

Electronic pacemaker
Electric drill
Tank-bred tuna system

To make it clear- the east was the spark, while the west was just lit by that spark, if you get what I'm saying.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Same thing as above. He did preliminary stuff- Marconi developed on that.

I'll concede with this.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General