NATION

PASSWORD

The Sixties Scoop

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:You're a Kiwi right, I doubt you know what it's like to live in areas with a large indigenous populations such as Cairns, or places in the Northern Territories.

There are similar places in the North Island full of destitution and rampant crime.

Camicon wrote:Politicians change with elections, bureaucrats and other staff do not.

Not only that, but policies can remain due to institutional biases and racism. I mean Australia transitioned between vaguely left and right wing governments, but White Australia still remained regardless of which party was in power.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote: Well the past has past. That is why reconciliation and mutual dialogue is important. It's the method for people, both native and non natives alike, to move on and realize that it has past and things will get better.

Well yeah I'm saying that the very terminology sounds like a 'oh my gah, im so sorry' it comes off as rather insincere at best and at worst traps everyone in a sense of guilt and guilt tripping mentalities.

Then we're in agreement.

I love it when I'm right <3
Minzerland II wrote:
Camicon wrote:Politicians change with elections, bureaucrats and other staff do not.

Then it is they whom must apologise, isn't it?

Well it's more of the institution of government that is to apologize, but as we discussed earlier and even some divergent cases (Japan and war crimes for instance) apologies do not cut it.
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Sassinia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:26 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Sassinia wrote:
The only one having "white savior syndrome" are you guys, spouting out "Oh, but we invented *insert already invented thing here*!" every five seconds.

Don't you realize? You oh-so civilized western "whites" were barbarians a few centuries ago, while at the same time people in the East were living in luxury.

Blah blah blah spare me the drivel that divides people even further.

Also, what a HILARIOUSLY pathetic way of viewing history. Need I remind you of China's own imperial ambitions? How about Japan's views of civilization and barbarianism? Oh oh oh, how about how ethnic relations are a result of basic human psychology and the the only way to open one's minds into loving thy neighbor is by understanding them beyond the prejudices one holds and by understanding what can be done to improve relationships between races.

Your petty argument serves as nothing but a catalyst for conflict and resentment. 'Tolerance' is an empty word without understanding.

China's and Japan's imperialism is nowhere near the scale of European imperialism.

Who said I hated the west? I'm not trying to divide ourselves- but I absolutely abhor those who kiss the ass of Europe and America.
Minzerland II wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Because the west genocide and enslaved the most? Isn't it obvious?

It is disingenuous to say such a thing when most of the worlds history is either not recorded, or is lost to the ages. The West has only been able commit genocide on a larger scale.

Emphasis mine.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
No, we aren't the Sassanids nor descendants of them.
..and no, we aren't Muslims, either.
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Head of State: King Ireni Murd
Capital City: Terz
Population: 7,000,000,000 and counting
RP Military: 31,000,000 active, 34,000,000 reserve
Tech: MT
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Then we're in agreement.

I love it when I'm right <3
Minzerland II wrote:Then it is they whom must apologise, isn't it?

Well it's more of the institution of government that is to apologize, but as we discussed earlier and even some divergent cases (Japan and war crimes for instance) apologies do not cut it.

I don't see why, the Government is a tool, not an individual who commits an act by their own volition.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 am

Nusaresa wrote:Well it's more of the institution of government that is to apologize, but as we discussed earlier and even some divergent cases (Japan and war crimes for instance) apologies do not cut it.

That's pretty much how I view it. The state as an entity is recognizing it committed a crime and apologizing.
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:I love it when I'm right <3

I don't see why, the Government is a tool, not an individual who commits an act by their own volition.

The government is an institution. It is an institution that promoted, as a matter of policy, genocide. That is deserving of an apology, and far more.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 am

Zostra wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Because the west committed genocide and enslaved the most? Isn't it obvious?

Oh boy, genocide olympics. While you can recognize the west has committed (and still commits) horrific acts, it's kind of difficult for the "East" to claim a moral high ground simply because they may have killed or oppressed less.

Genocide Olympics is one thing I giggle at (because I'm a fucking sicko) and I wish to never hear it again.
Sassinia wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Blah blah blah spare me the drivel that divides people even further.

Also, what a HILARIOUSLY pathetic way of viewing history. Need I remind you of China's own imperial ambitions? How about Japan's views of civilization and barbarianism? Oh oh oh, how about how ethnic relations are a result of basic human psychology and the the only way to open one's minds into loving thy neighbor is by understanding them beyond the prejudices one holds and by understanding what can be done to improve relationships between races.

Your petty argument serves as nothing but a catalyst for conflict and resentment. 'Tolerance' is an empty word without understanding.

China's and Japan's imperialism is nowhere near the scale of European imperialism.

Who said I hated the west? I'm not trying to divide ourselves- but I absolutely abhor those who kiss the ass of Europe and America.

Doesn't mean that it was any better or was less deplorable. Murder is murder, a murder of a thousand in comparison to a murder of a million is still murder.

And now you are twisting my words buddy. Okay. Okay.
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:30 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:It is disingenuous to say such a thing when most of the worlds history is either not recorded, or is lost to the ages. The West has only been able commit genocide on a larger scale.

Emphasis mine.

So? If an African Imperial Power were given the same chance, they would. Besides, that wasn't your point.

Sassinia wrote:Because the west genocide and enslaved the most? Isn't it obvious?
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:31 am

Sassinia wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Blah blah blah spare me the drivel that divides people even further.

Minzerland II wrote:It is disingenuous to say such a thing when most of the worlds history is either not recorded, or is lost to the ages. The West has only been able commit genocide on a larger scale.

Emphasis mine.

I recognise the deplorable acts that the Western Civilisation has committed, I only hate it when people frame the west as the most deplorable civilisation on earth, when in fact it's far from it.

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:32 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:

Emphasis mine.

I recognise the deplorable acts that the Western Civilisation has committed, I only hate it when people frame the west as the most deplorable civilisation on earth, when in fact it's far from it.

I never said that.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:33 am

Camicon wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:I don't see why, the Government is a tool, not an individual who commits an act by their own volition.

The government is an institution. It is an institution that promoted, as a matter of policy, genocide. That is deserving of an apology, and far more.

The Government is an institution controlled by the elected administrative party, it is up to the parties members, whom were in control of the time, to apologise.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:I love it when I'm right <3

Well it's kinda both in this case. As the institution of government is 'sort-of' the continuity of all actions done by the nation in the most broadest sense. It's a tool to establish policy, but as an institution it exists as an entity to get those policies into effect?

something like that
Zostra wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Well it's more of the institution of government that is to apologize, but as we discussed earlier and even some divergent cases (Japan and war crimes for instance) apologies do not cut it.

That's pretty much how I view it. The state as an entity is recognizing it committed a crime and apologizing.

Apologies are not sufficient and sometimes not necessary.

What is needed is mutual dialogue in order for all parties to move on. It's more sincere and carries a deeper level of meaning and intimacy. It can be simply a small sample of people, but what matters is this idea of reconciliation and open forum.

"The things that were done in the past were indeed abhorrent, and we accept that for what it is. We understand the grievances and your concern over such events that have occurred, etc etc"

It makes it so that it is not a guilt trip AND not a blatant 'im sorreh' which tends to do nothing at all.
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Camicon wrote:The government is an institution. It is an institution that promoted, as a matter of policy, genocide. That is deserving of an apology, and far more.

The Government is an institution controlled by the elected administrative party, it is up to the parties members, whom were in control of the time, to apologise.

It is an institution that exists beyond the governing party. That's why it's the "Australian government", not the "Prime Minister So-And-So government". That's why there was such outrage when the Tories renamed the "Canadian government" the "Harper government" in official documents.
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Sassinia wrote:

Emphasis mine.

So? If an African Imperial Power were given the same chance, they would. Besides, that wasn't your point.

On a larger scale

the most

আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

I never said that.

Sassinia wrote:Typical western enslavement/genocide of other peoples.

You framed it as a common characteristic of western civilisation by use of the word typical, even though every civilisation throughout recorded history has committed similar acts.

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:I never said that.

Sassinia wrote:Typical western enslavement/genocide of other peoples.

You framed it as a common characteristic of western civilisation by use of the word typical, even though every civilisation throughout recorded history has committed similar acts.

Yes, I said it because the west has done the most genocidal/enslaving acts in history. I never said they were the most deplorable. That's just stuffing words in my mouth.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:I don't see why, the Government is a tool, not an individual who commits an act by their own volition.

Well it's kinda both in this case. As the institution of government is 'sort-of' the continuity of all actions done by the nation in the most broadest sense. It's a tool to establish policy, but as an institution it exists as an entity to get those policies into effect?

something like that

It only enacts the policies forwarded from its constituencies, it isn't the Government whom must apologise, but those who forwarded the policy and the elected administrative party.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:40 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Well it's kinda both in this case. As the institution of government is 'sort-of' the continuity of all actions done by the nation in the most broadest sense. It's a tool to establish policy, but as an institution it exists as an entity to get those policies into effect?

something like that

It only enacts the policies forwarded from its constituencies, it isn't the Government whom must apologise, but those who forwarded the policy and the elected administrative party.

mutual dialogue and reconciliation could happen independent of gov't control right?

theoretically it could.
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:41 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:So? If an African Imperial Power were given the same chance, they would. Besides, that wasn't your point.

On a larger scale

the most

Your point?
Western Civilisation has invented and pioneered on the largest scale and the most.
No one is denying the bad that Western Civilisation has committed, you are the one who through the use of the word Typical framed it as a Characteristic unique to western civilisation.

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:41 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Zostra wrote:

Apologies are not sufficient and sometimes not necessary.

What is needed is mutual dialogue in order for all parties to move on. It's more sincere and carries a deeper level of meaning and intimacy. It can be simply a small sample of people, but what matters is this idea of reconciliation and open forum.

"The things that were done in the past were indeed abhorrent, and we accept that for what it is. We understand the grievances and your concern over such events that have occurred, etc etc"

It makes it so that it is not a guilt trip AND not a blatant 'im sorreh' which tends to do nothing at all.

Oh, I definitely agree that just shrugging and saying "sorry guys" is not anywhere close to what needs to happen. I was just talking about the principle of it. If the Trudeau government for example apologized and went about taking corrective action, he wouldn't be saying "I, Justin Trudeau, apologize etc." nor should he be. But his government represents, theoretically, the Canadian state and so would be acting on behalf of it, (if that makes sense).
Last edited by Zostra on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:41 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:On a larger scale

the most

Your point?
Western Civilisation has invented and pioneered on the largest scale and the most.
No one is denying the bad that Western Civilisation has committed, you are the one who through the use of the word Typical framed it as a Characteristic unique to western civilisation.

:rofl:
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Yes, I said it because the west has done the most genocidal/enslaving acts in history. I never said they were the most deplorable. That's just stuffing words in my mouth.

You said it was typical, and called white people barbarians. It's obvious.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Saying that of which is disingenuous considering we only have recorded history to go off.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Your point?

:rofl:

Please elborate.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:43 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:So? If an African Imperial Power were given the same chance, they would. Besides, that wasn't your point.

On a larger scale

the most

'Large scale' means killing more people.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General