NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:37 pm

With Sam Darnold locked in as their starter and the carrier of all their hopes, the Jets have traded Teddy Bridgewater to New Orleans, along with a sixth round draft pick. The Saints gave the Jets a third round draft pick in return.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:50 pm

World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:The Packers Trade backup Quarterback Brett Hundley to Seahawks for a sixth rounder.

Backup QB's are a hot commodity right now.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:The Packers Trade backup Quarterback Brett Hundley to Seahawks for a sixth rounder.

Backup QB's are a hot commodity right now.

Speaking of trades, we may have the best kicker in anybody's camp since Justin Tucker showed up here in 2012. Norwegian Kaare Vedvik who has a 48 yard punt avg on 14 punts AND kicks 59 yard fg and 75 in practice. Yikes. He won't make it through waivers and some NFL front offices of kicking needy teams know it. Meanwhile backup QB RG III is probably gonna stick around here.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Idzequitch wrote:With Sam Darnold locked in as their starter and the carrier of all their hopes, the Jets have traded Teddy Bridgewater to New Orleans, along with a sixth round draft pick. The Saints gave the Jets a third round draft pick in return.

That's a rather risky move, and may also mean that that guy whose name I've completely forgotten who also plays special teams for the saints will be unlikely to be number 2 qb.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:With Sam Darnold locked in as their starter and the carrier of all their hopes, the Jets have traded Teddy Bridgewater to New Orleans, along with a sixth round draft pick. The Saints gave the Jets a third round draft pick in return.

That's a rather risky move, and may also mean that that guy whose name I've completely forgotten who also plays special teams for the saints will be unlikely to be number 2 qb.

Special teams are always where back up QBs play until they are needed. NOT.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:50 pm

For a third rounder? Good move imo. Potentially a dude who can take over for Brees.

Also Aaron Rodgers just got paid. 134 mil (over 4 years). He’ll receive 80 million by March. Insane.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Not terribly risky. The Jets still have Darnold, and, if the need should arise, Josh McCown. There was no real need for them to keep all three. The Saints get a big upgrade at the backup spot too. Works out for both teams, really.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That's a rather risky move, and may also mean that that guy whose name I've completely forgotten who also plays special teams for the saints will be unlikely to be number 2 qb.

Not terribly risky. The Jets still have Darnold, and, if the need should arise, Josh McCown. There was no real need for them to keep all three. The Saints get a big upgrade at the backup spot too. Works out for both teams, really.

McCown must be close to 40 now and he's not Tom Brady. In fact, I expect Brady to begin his inevitable career death spiral with clear bouts of diminishing athleticism this season.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Not terribly risky. The Jets still have Darnold, and, if the need should arise, Josh McCown. There was no real need for them to keep all three. The Saints get a big upgrade at the backup spot too. Works out for both teams, really.

McCown must be close to 40 now and he's not Tom Brady. In fact, I expect Brady to begin his inevitable career death spiral with clear bouts of diminishing athleticism this season.

One can always hope so. But people have been predicting that for the past 5 seasons. I'm not going to assume that's the case until I see it happening.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:McCown must be close to 40 now and he's not Tom Brady. In fact, I expect Brady to begin his inevitable career death spiral with clear bouts of diminishing athleticism this season.

One can always hope so. But people have been predicting that for the past 5 seasons. I'm not going to assume that's the case until I see it happening.

Idz, I said it begins. It doesn't happen all at once. Although it could with a tough injury. Nevertheless, the man is human and he's in a league with guys 15-20 years younger. Too many of them move much faster than he does. It's inevitable, but sure, I'd game plan for the usual Brady if that's what you meant.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:One can always hope so. But people have been predicting that for the past 5 seasons. I'm not going to assume that's the case until I see it happening.

Idz, I said it begins. It doesn't happen all at once. Although it could with a tough injury. Nevertheless, the man is human and he's in a league with guys 15-20 years younger. Too many of them move much faster than he does. It's inevitable, but sure, I'd game plan for the usual Brady if that's what you meant.

I disagree, it can happen all at once. Just look at the GOAT.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 pm

AWWWWWWWWW YEAH!!!
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That's a rather risky move, and may also mean that that guy whose name I've completely forgotten who also plays special teams for the saints will be unlikely to be number 2 qb.

I mean the fact first of all that the Jets were dumb enough to give him away. God forbid Teddy pops his knee again we’ll have a good backup this year, and maybe for years to come.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Not terribly risky. The Jets still have Darnold, and, if the need should arise, Josh McCown. There was no real need for them to keep all three. The Saints get a big upgrade at the backup spot too. Works out for both teams, really.

I mean the fact first of all that the Jets were dumb enough to give him away. God forbid Teddy pops his knee again we’ll have a good backup this year, and maybe for years to come.

The Jets already have a decent backup in McCown, even if Teddy was their best Q(which he was). Darnold is their future, and they’re not a “win-now” team by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a good move for both teams imo.
Lumi is my NS mom

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

I disagree, it can happen all at once. Just look at the GOAT.

We were already discussing the GOAT. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth calling him that, but it's exactly what he is.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Luminesa wrote:

With the Jets being as invested as they are in Darnold, it didn't make sense to keep him around. The Jets got decent value for a guy they don't need, and the Saints got a vast improvement in their backup QB. Also potentially a guy who could take over if Drew retires soon.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Luminesa wrote:I mean the fact first of all that the Jets were dumb enough to give him away. God forbid Teddy pops his knee again we’ll have a good backup this year, and maybe for years to come.

With the Jets being as invested as they are in Darnold, it didn't make sense to keep him around. The Jets got decent value for a guy they don't need, and the Saints got a vast improvement in their backup QB. Also potentially a guy who could take over if Drew retires soon.

Drew Brees retire. That's funny. He'll probably still try playing when he's old and in a wheelchair.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:With the Jets being as invested as they are in Darnold, it didn't make sense to keep him around. The Jets got decent value for a guy they don't need, and the Saints got a vast improvement in their backup QB. Also potentially a guy who could take over if Drew retires soon.

Drew Brees retire. That's funny. He'll probably still try playing when he's old and in a wheelchair.

Brady's doing it, so why not give it a shot?
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Khalil Mack to the Jets is a very possible scenario. Jets and Raiders are having serious discussions. This is the NFL's new team building. You've got a talented young Q that you're hardly paying anything? Go get some free agents and take advantage of your cap space. Mack is an all-pro level player for shit's sake. If Darnold lives up to the hype (I'm saying if he goes somewhere around the area of 3,600, 25, 12), and Mack does what he normally does, this team could take the league by storm. And then next year? If Darnold is good? They build up the OL, grab a decent LB and WR, and they're taking the AFC East in 2019.
Last edited by Ranoria on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Ranoria wrote:Khalil Mack to the Jets is a very possible scenario. Jets and Raiders are having serious discussions. This is the NFL's new team building. You've got a talented young Q that you're hardly paying anything? Go get some free agents and take advantage of your cap space. Mack is an all-pro level player for shit's sake. If Darnold lives up to the hype (I'm saying if he goes somewhere around the area of 3,600, 25, 12), and Mack does what he normally does, this team could take the league by storm. And then next year? If Darnold is good? They build up the OL, grab a decent LB and WR, and they're taking the AFC East in 2019.

"hardly paying anything"

If only I was in a position where I could consider multiple millions of dollars hardly anything :P

I know it's a business, and he's not making tons by comparison to others. Just wanted to lend a bit of perspective here.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Khalil Mack to the Jets is a very possible scenario. Jets and Raiders are having serious discussions. This is the NFL's new team building. You've got a talented young Q that you're hardly paying anything? Go get some free agents and take advantage of your cap space. Mack is an all-pro level player for shit's sake. If Darnold lives up to the hype (I'm saying if he goes somewhere around the area of 3,600, 25, 12), and Mack does what he normally does, this team could take the league by storm. And then next year? If Darnold is good? They build up the OL, grab a decent LB and WR, and they're taking the AFC East in 2019.

"hardly paying anything"

If only I was in a position where I could consider multiple millions of dollars hardly anything :P

I know it's a business, and he's not making tons by comparison to others. Just wanted to lend a bit of perspective here.

Dude, I ain't makin shit either, but we're talking NFL lol.

Personally tho, I'd see about going for Shaq Barrett/Shane Ray, preferably the latter, if I were them. They've both got potential, and before Ray got hurt, everyone was penciling him in for 10+ sacks.
Lumi is my NS mom

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Tomorrow

19:00 Hours Central Time

Shaz and his wife will be in the Dome, screaming "Who Dat" as the Saints beat the snot out of Rams.

WHO DAT! WHO DAT! WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS!
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL RND 2: NYR 3 - 0 CAR | FLA 2 - 1 BOS | VAN 1 - 1 EDM | DAL 1 - 1 COL
NCAA MBB: Tulane 26-22 | LSU 31-18 || NCAA WSB: LSU 38-14

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 am

Luminesa wrote:

AWWWWWWWWW YEAH!!!

You like him a lot, right? I hope he finds success wherever he plays... as long as that place isn’t Green Bay.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General