NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread the Third

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Monarchy v Republic

Monarchy
43%
Republic
57%

Total votes : 137

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
Really? Shit, just play Medieval Total War 1 and/or 2. They got quotes from him on almost every loading screen.

Outside of political classes and games you won't find much of him.

Still, the games exposed me to him and his methods, which counts.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Soadino
Envoy

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soadino » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:07 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Niccolò Machiavelli.

Best. Republican. Ever.

Though Thomas Hobbes deserves an honorable mention.

I agree. I like Machiavelli a lot.
Rights don't end where feelings begin
This is me
The United Farms wrote:Hispanic girl, 16 yo, living in the southern US. Likes juice and wears black hoodie.

King Louis IX supreme
Le Français toujours vaincra!

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:07 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Are there any philosophers, that you would recommend for someone who is only beginning to look into philosophy.

Obviously my main man Locke. If you read Germanic Templar's and Eisen-Ara's recommendations of Machiavelli, you must read Frederick the Great's Anti-Machiavell.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Soadino
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soadino » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Hobbes and Machiavelli are pretty good. Plato as well if you want to count him in.

I need to get reading Hobbes' books, tbh. I find that Machiavelli is underrated, which is sad really.

Right? Machiavelli is dank. I think 'The Prince' gave him a bad rep though.
This is me
The United Farms wrote:Hispanic girl, 16 yo, living in the southern US. Likes juice and wears black hoodie.

King Louis IX supreme

-Fahrong-
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby -Fahrong- » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Cheers.

If anything, start with this quote:

Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:Politics have no relation to morals.

Ugh I get shivers down my spine whenever I hear those words and the terrible things they have encouraged. What good can come from saying it is fine to be evil?
Formerly Atelia, born on the 7th of December 2011. Had 6001 controversial posts.
English is my third language, so sorry if I make mistakes

Evangelos Vasiliadis the Orthodox Christian Russian Pontic Greek cyber-commando.
Agrarian Corporatist, Reactionary Monarchist, Perennial Traditionalist, Moralist, Eurasianist, Byzantinist.
With a tinge of Autarkism, Mysticism, Theocratism, Stoicism and Militarism.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Eisarn-Ara wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:He was a philosopher?

Machiavelli? Honest to the gods, I was in a rough patch when I was younger; I was passed a copy of "the Prince" by my shrink at the time and told "approach this from a philosophical standpoint, it might help you persevere". Well, it helped, changed how I view the world & people in alot of ways. He might as well be considering the contents of his works.

I firmly hold dear the methodology of assembly & accruing assets that Gustav Krupp pursued as what effectively mounts up to be a philosophical stance due to the successes achieved by the Krupp company; and how Krupp was effectively an essential arm of Production for a young country that in many ways acted like a "driving force" behind it's very ideals of Industrial Thought & Industrial Application.

I agree with your analysis of Krupp, that is a very interesting man to study if any of the Gentlemen here have not.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Soadino
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soadino » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:12 pm

-Fahrong- wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

Ugh I get shivers down my spine whenever I hear those words and the terrible things they have encouraged. What good can come from saying it is fine to be evil?

Same guy who said this tho
It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... lli_2.html
This is me

King Louis IX supreme

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:13 pm

-Fahrong- wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

My personal hero Henry "I literally did nothing wrong" Kissinger did

Dagashi
Envoy

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagashi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Are there any philosophers, that you would recommend for someone who is only beginning to look into philosophy.

Hegel. He's the clearest and most concise author on the subject there is. If you're a beginner to philosophy, it's good to start with him.
Embrace your inner Girliness.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm

The East Marches wrote:
-Fahrong- wrote:Ugh I get shivers down my spine whenever I hear those words and the terrible things they have encouraged. What good can come from saying it is fine to be evil?

Did you read On China?

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 pm

-Fahrong- wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

It's the truth, but when you tie that into another one of his quotes:
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
And you can make it so that such in political power are held to honor their titles and not to abuse them, then you merely keep them in check. That, in my opinion, is the job for the populous. For as it is also said by Machiavelli:
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:Before all else, be armed.
and
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred.

It is that same populous that, when armed appropriately, can remind those in power that they may have the power, but it is the people that put them there.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

Soadino
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soadino » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
-Fahrong- wrote:Ugh I get shivers down my spine whenever I hear those words and the terrible things they have encouraged. What good can come from saying it is fine to be evil?

Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
And you can make it so that such in political power are held to honor their titles and not to abuse them, then you merely keep them in check. That, in my opinion, is the job for the populous. For as it is also said by Machiavelli:
and
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred.

It is that same populous that, when armed appropriately, can remind those in power that they may have the power, but it is the people that put them there.

I like those quotes, we need an armed populace
This is me

King Louis IX supreme

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

Did you read On China?

Yes, it is a very good book. It helped me learn much about Chinese culture and customs before I went there.

-Fahrong-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Fahrong- » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:

and

Popular opinion can easily be manipulated to support government policy (even when it lacks all moral good) when it does not operate accordingly to pre existing moral code.
Formerly Atelia, born on the 7th of December 2011. Had 6001 controversial posts.

Evangelos Vasiliadis the Orthodox Christian Russian Pontic Greek cyber-commando.
Agrarian Corporatist, Reactionary Monarchist, Perennial Traditionalist, Moralist, Eurasianist, Byzantinist.

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:30 pm

-Fahrong- wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
and

Popular opinion can easily be manipulated to support government policy (even when it lacks all moral good) when it does not operate accordingly to pre existing moral code.

Hence his next quote:
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:The main foundations of every state, new states as well as ancient or composite ones, are good laws and good arms you cannot have good laws without good arms, and where there are good arms, good laws inevitably follow.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
-Fahrong- wrote:Popular opinion can easily be manipulated to support government policy (even when it lacks all moral good) when it does not operate accordingly to pre existing moral code.

Hence his next quote:
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote:The main foundations of every state, new states as well as ancient or composite ones, are good laws and good arms you cannot have good laws without good arms, and where there are good arms, good laws inevitably follow.

After a quick read through his wiki page and the Machiavellism wiki age, I find his philosophy to be intriguing.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Philosophy is broad. What fields specifically are you interested in? Logic? Aesthetics? Ethics? Epistemology? Metaphysics? Natural philosophy? Political philosophy? Philosophy of science?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:36 pm

Conscentia wrote:

Philosophy is broad. What fields specifically are you interested in? Logic? Aesthetics? Ethics? Epistemology? Metaphysics? Natural philosophy? Political philosophy? Philosophy of science?

Logic, Political and metaphysics, preferably.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:37 pm

The East Marches wrote:
I agree with your analysis of Krupp, that is a very interesting man to study if any of the Gentlemen here have not.

The history of Krupp itself is well worth diving into. "The Arms of Krupp" by William Manchester is seriously worth reading.
Last edited by Eisarn-Ara on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:37 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
Hence his next quote:

After a quick read through his wiki page and the Machiavellism wiki age, I find his philosophy to be intriguing.

Damn right he is..

Also a friendly fyi, spoiler some of your sig, it's over 8 lines long.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

-Fahrong-
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby -Fahrong- » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
-Fahrong- wrote:Popular opinion can easily be manipulated to support government policy (even when it lacks all moral good) when it does not operate accordingly to pre existing moral code.

Hence his next quote:

I quite frankly disagree. Good arms allows an enforcement of will but with no safeguard that it is a good will for good laws.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Jochizyd Republic wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I'm not sure such a thing could exist in most Western countries.

Well, it's surprising that you would say that.

You, for real think, that therw cannot be a TradCon Politician in the West that doesn't oppose people from multiple ethnicities existing in one country and doesn't think Muslims are scum?

Multiple ethnicities, sure, especially in states with a long history of ethnic diversity. Religion is an entirely different matter. Culture and religion are indelibly intertwined; the traditional cultural identity of a nation that is historically dominantly Christian is therefore inherently threatened by the emergence of a religiously pluralistic society. A traditionalist may tolerate the existence of other religions within the borders of their country, but is unlikely to welcome alien religious traditions, especially of the proselytising kind. I for one certainly don't hate Islam or possess any desire to persecute individual Muslims for their beliefs, but I'd rather there were none here. I don't really mind the existence of small, non-proselytising religious minorities such as Sikhs, Hindus and Jews in the UK, but generally I'm prejudiced towards any religious group besides Anglican and Presbyterian Christianity (smaller Protestant groups like the Methodists and Quakers, I'm mostly fine with; that doesn't extend to American-influenced evangelical sects).

Hopefully the British Muslim community will eventually become a stable demographic minority, assimilate into British culture and lose ties with its overseas origins.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:40 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Philosophy is broad. What fields specifically are you interested in? Logic? Aesthetics? Ethics? Epistemology? Metaphysics? Natural philosophy? Political philosophy? Philosophy of science?

Aristotle is really the basis for most of that in western thought, so start with him.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Well, it's surprising that you would say that.

You, for real think, that therw cannot be a TradCon Politician in the West that doesn't oppose people from multiple ethnicities existing in one country and doesn't think Muslims are scum?

Multiple ethnicities, sure, especially in states with a long history of ethnic diversity. Religion is an entirely different matter. Culture and religion are indelibly intertwined; the traditional cultural identity of a nation that is historically dominantly Christian is therefore inherently threatened by the emergence of a religiously pluralistic society. A traditionalist may tolerate the existence of other religions within the borders of their country, but is unlikely to welcome alien religious traditions, especially of the proselytising kind. I for one certainly don't hate Islam or possess any desire to persecute individual Muslims for their beliefs, but I'd rather there were none here. I don't really mind the existence of small, non-proselytising religious minorities such as Sikhs, Hindus and Jews in the UK, but generally I'm prejudiced towards any religious group besides Anglican and Presbyterian Christianity (smaller Protestant groups like the Methodists and Quakers, I'm mostly fine with; that doesn't extend to American-influenced evangelical sects).

Hopefully the British Muslim community will eventually become a stable demographic minority, assimilate into British culture and lose ties with its overseas origins.

Multiple ethnicities are fine if the state in question has a long history of multiple ethnic groups in it's borders, and then it's mostly for ethnic groups that have either been influential on the state or have a long history there. Multiple religions can be tolerated if the state has a history of such- subject to the same caveat as above, that only those which have been influential in or have a long history in the state- but is not the ideal.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Philosophy is broad. What fields specifically are you interested in? Logic? Aesthetics? Ethics? Epistemology? Metaphysics? Natural philosophy? Political philosophy? Philosophy of science?

I can't be certain that they'll catch your interest, but consider looking at: Aristotle, Zeno of Elea, Baruch Spinoza, David Hume, Charles Sanders Peirce, and Bertrand Russell.
Last edited by Conscentia on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General