NATION

PASSWORD

US General Election Thread III: Clinton vs. Trump

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Do You Support in the 2016 Election?

Hillary Rodham Clinton (Democrat)
37%
Donald J. Trump (Republican)
27%
Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
16%
Jill Stein (Green)
10%
Undecided
4%
Other
6%

Total votes : 1013

36 Camera Perspective
Minister

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Galloism wrote:
36 Camera Perspective wrote:Alt-right people on Twitter argue that Clinton is either lying or put people at risk for infection by attending the memorial. Unless Clinton was sneezing or coughing on people, the disjunction is false.

Next: Hillary Clinton is literally Typhoid Mary.

Oh, and if she had skipped the memorial, I'm sure she'd be eviscerated for that, too.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Galloism wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
Wiliam Henry Harrison. He was 68 when he died in April 1841 one month into his term, likely from pneumonia bc he wasn't dressed warmly on the cold day he was inaugurated on. Veep was a Virginian, Tyler.
This could gain her sympathy, and with a quick recovery proving her immune system is quite normal also dispel Trump's nonsense. The debate is in 15 days. She should follow doctor's orders and let Kaine and surrogates carry the ball a few days or even a week.

Animaniacs presidents' song has a funny quip about Harrison.

That song is exactly how I know about him. :)
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Freefall11111 wrote:So to clarify, she was wearing a pantsuit, (almost certainly) a bulletproof vest, and had pneumonia during a hot, humid day, while being 68 years old and dehydrated, thus causing a faint. This is cause for concern? Really? Never mind that on the same day she was diagnosed, she appeared at two fundraisers, ran a two hour national security meeting, did a press conference, and a CNN interview. Or that there have been POTUS much sicker in the past (Wilson, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, HW Bush, just to name a few). Or that Kaine has the experience, and the position, to take over in an even worse emergency.

Is it bad press? Yes, but it shouldn't be. The fact that they admitted she's sick and that it's pneumonia, which most people are familiar with, will negate most of the narrative that anyone could've pushed (not that many people would switch votes over a health problem). If her campaign is smart, someone will spin a counter-narrative of "She was sick and exhausted from her tireless work, but insisted on at least attempting to attend the memorial for the sake of those who have lost their lives at the hands of terrorists".

Wiliam Henry Harrison. He was 68 when he died in April 1841 one month into his term, likely from pneumonia bc he wasn't dressed warmly on the cold day he was inaugurated on. Veep was a Virginian, Tyler.
This could gain her sympathy, and with a quick recovery proving her immune system is quite normal also dispel Trump's nonsense. The debate is in 15 days. She should follow doctor's orders and let Kaine and surrogates carry the ball a few days or even a week.

President Harrison didn't get sick until three weeks after his inauguration. His cold turned into pneumonia and pleurisy, and the man couldn't find a place in the White House to rest because of the parade of office-seekers. Not to mention 1840s medical science.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:

That song is exactly how I know about him. :)

Learning!
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The United Territories of Providence
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Pneumonia is the 5th leading cause of death in people over 65....I hope she improves, because of course I do, look at my flag. I think however, that if she doesn't change her schedule, she'll miss the debates. Or worse, we could be looking down the barrel of a Kaine vs. Trump race. But I suppose, this is the entire reason why we have running mates.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT
Economic: -2.5
Social: -5.28

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:Alt-right people on Twitter argue that Clinton is either lying or put people at risk for infection by attending the memorial. Unless Clinton was sneezing or coughing on people, the disjunction is false.

They are just giving Trump a reason to not attend the debates.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:24 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Galloism wrote:Next: Hillary Clinton is literally Typhoid Mary.

Oh, and if she had skipped the memorial, I'm sure she'd be eviscerated for that, too.

She's eviscerated for everything by right-wingers.

"I read a blog by a 13 year old that Crooked Hillary breathes through her nose. What, does the uppity bitch think she's too good for us mouth breathers?"
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Galloism wrote:Next: Hillary Clinton is literally Typhoid Mary.

Of course. She's guilty of the crime of being a Democrat and, even worse, a Clinton. Many of the alt right types feel that these should literally be death penalty offences.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:28 pm

That needs to be on every network ever.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

President Harrison didn't get sick until three weeks after his inauguration. His cold turned into pneumonia and pleurisy, and the man couldn't find a place in the White House to rest because of the parade of office-seekers. Not to mention 1840s medical science.

Yeah. He had to contact the streptococci Pneumonia bacteria while his immune system was down having the cold. Probably age & stress delayed his return to wellness and contributed to the window, finally he met up with the opportunistic bacteria. He likely crossed path with a well carrier and once the infection took hold plus being 1841 as you said, he was pretty much doomed. Most people don't know how important the antibiotics are and what the current state concerning them are....

..And another thread is out there for that grim tale. President Tyler was interesting though.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Seriously?

Oh, fuck you Donald.

I mean, I know one of the main reasons for this sorry cluster fuck of an election is to stroke his own ego, but damn.

Hopefully this will get lots of press and cancel out any drop in the polls Clinton has over her health issues.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 pm

And yet Clinton getting pneumonia is wall to wall coverage.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Galloism wrote:

That needs to be on every network ever.

I don't entirely approve of using things like 9/11 for political gain, but if there's anything to use, that's it.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Corrian wrote:
Galloism wrote:That needs to be on every network ever.

I don't entirely approve of using things like 9/11 for political gain, but if there's anything to use, that's it.

9/11 is only tertially related really. It's about his boasting that he has the tallest building again because of a terrorist attack knocked down the taller one.

Amerikan Columbia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Amerikan Columbia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 pm

This should surprise me, but it doesn't
Just Your Average Edgy Anarcho-Communist Teenager hailing from CANADA
"Seize the Memes of Production" - Karl Marx
It's not a phase mom!
[_★_]
( -_- )

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
Corrian wrote:I don't entirely approve of using things like 9/11 for political gain, but if there's anything to use, that's it.

9/11 is only tertially related really. It's about his boasting that he has the tallest building again because of a terrorist attack knocked down the taller one.

So we can add the victims, the survivors, and their families to the Groups the Donald has Insulted list.
Last edited by Thermodolia on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Galloism wrote:
Freefall11111 wrote:So to clarify, she was wearing a pantsuit, (almost certainly) a bulletproof vest, and had pneumonia during a hot, humid day, while being 68 years old and dehydrated, thus causing a faint. This is cause for concern? Really? Never mind that on the same day she was diagnosed, she appeared at two fundraisers, ran a two hour national security meeting, did a press conference, and a CNN interview. Or that there have been POTUS much sicker in the past (Wilson, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, HW Bush, just to name a few). Or that Kaine has the experience, and the position, to take over in an even worse emergency.

Is it bad press? Yes, but it shouldn't be. The fact that they admitted she's sick and that it's pneumonia, which most people are familiar with, will negate most of the narrative that anyone could've pushed (not that many people would switch votes over a health problem). If her campaign is smart, someone will spin a counter-narrative of "She was sick and exhausted from her tireless work, but insisted on at least attempting to attend the memorial for the sake of those who have lost their lives at the hands of terrorists".

Btw, for anyone who has never worn a bulletproof vest on a hot day, that shit could dehydrate a 21 year old olympic athlete.

I've done it. You gotta drink a hell of a lot of water.

That might explain the lack of flattering styles she has picked.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Galloism wrote:9/11 is only tertially related really. It's about his boasting that he has the tallest building again because of a terrorist attack knocked down the taller one.

So we can add the victims, the survivors, and their families to the Groups the Donald has Insulted list.

It might be simpler to keep a "Groups the Donald hasn't insulted" list, and just remove names as necessary.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:President Harrison didn't get sick until three weeks after his inauguration. His cold turned into pneumonia and pleurisy, and the man couldn't find a place in the White House to rest because of the parade of office-seekers. Not to mention 1840s medical science.

Yeah. He had to contact the streptococci Pneumonia bacteria while his immune system was down having the cold. Probably age & stress delayed his return to wellness and contributed to the window, finally he met up with the opportunistic bacteria. He likely crossed path with a well carrier and once the infection took hold plus being 1841 as you said, he was pretty much doomed. Most people don't know how important the antibiotics are and what the current state concerning them are....

..And another thread is out there for that grim tale. President Tyler was interesting though.

President Tyler has two living grandsons.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
Corrian wrote:I don't entirely approve of using things like 9/11 for political gain, but if there's anything to use, that's it.

We've seen Trump boasting though. The use of 'great', 'yuuge' or other similar monosyllabic adjectives is usually involved.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 pm

I am not surprised yet I feel revulsion. That's become my typical new horrible but true Donald story reaction.
*kneels*
Please God. Do not let him get this job.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:So we can add the victims, the survivors, and their families to the Groups the Donald has Insulted list.

It might be simpler to keep a "Groups the Donald hasn't insulted" list, and just remove names as necessary.

Donald Trump has insulted all sentient beings by association.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

And yet Clinton getting pneumonia is wall to wall coverage.

To be fair, a candidate having an illness that can and does have a history of causing death in people his/her age is decently newsworthy. Note that everything health-related prior to this point wasn't.

Also, in spite of other presidents performing duty while faced with worse maladies, I'm sadly pretty confident this is going to hurt her in some way. I don't think that people would like to have a commander-in-chief that isn't completely well.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

President Tyler has two living grandsons.

That is what I was alluding to. About ten years ago I saw this on TV when C-SPAN was visiting Presidential libraries. I saw a few and this one was as interesting as any. His 70 or so year old grandson was the guest. I starting doing math to see if the host had misspoken. I found it utterly amazing to hear about him and the size of their family each generation and all the details of it. Did you see any of that too? I'd like to see that whole deal again. Do you know if it is online anywhere?
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General