NATION

PASSWORD

Nuclear Weapons: Your Opinion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you oppose Nuclear Weapons?

No
50%
Yes
38%
Other (Please State)
12%

Total votes : 362

Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atomic Utopia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:39 pm

They are another weapon, like guns. They will eventually be commonly used in war and they confer a major advantage to those who have them over those that do not have them. What more is there to say about them?
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

Vedilia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedilia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Weak and useless, next to the power of relativistic-velocity 600-kg tungsten shells.
There's your deterrent!
embrace apathy and hate fullwidth
NEVER AGAIN

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 am

Atomic Utopia wrote:They are another weapon, like guns. They will eventually be commonly used in war and they confer a major advantage to those who have them over those that do not have them. What more is there to say about them?
generally speaking, new advancements in military technology are utilized as soon as folks get wind. Simple Clausewitz, you use what you got. That's why there was little question regarding nuking Japan.
There's a lot of questions now regarding nukes. And landmines. And chemical weapons
Changing paradigms in military thought, innit?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:31 am

Voted yes, in opposition.

I understand the deterrence argument, but the down side is that if that deterrent ever fails, these weapons have the potential to destroy our civilization. Its essentially a massive gamble that nothing will ever go really, really wrong. We have had a number of very close calls where we got very lucky.

Unfortunately, some people have concluded that because we have always been lucky, we always will be lucky.

However, I will say that I believe nuclear explosives have a potentially vital role to play in the space program, either as an Orion/Daedallus-style propulsion system, or for asteroid deflection/destruction.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:32 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:Voted yes, in opposition.

I understand the deterrence argument, but the down side is that if that deterrent ever fails, these weapons have the potential to destroy our civilization. Its essentially a massive gamble that nothing will ever go really, really wrong. We have had a number of very close calls where we got very lucky.

Unfortunately, some people have concluded that because we have always been lucky, we always will be lucky.

However, I will say that I believe nuclear explosives have a potentially vital role to play in the space program, either as an Orion/Daedallus-style propulsion system, or for asteroid deflection/destruction.

What do we do if the other side possess nuclear weapons and the will to use them?
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:32 am

Atomic Utopia wrote:They are another weapon, like guns. They will eventually be commonly used in war and they confer a major advantage to those who have them over those that do not have them. What more is there to say about them?

They day they are commonly used is the day our civilization ends, unless our ability to mitigate their effects or the scope of human civilization has vastly expanded by that time.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 am

The East Marches wrote:

What do we do if the other side possess nuclear weapons and the will to use them?
bow the fuck down, they fucking crazy
Though that's kinda a crazy combo even Pakistan ain't quite got the will there
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 am

Kubra wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
bow the fuck down, they fucking crazy

Bow down? I'd rather see Nuclear holocaust tbh.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 am

The East Marches wrote:

In that case, we're probably fucked weather we have them or not. The only question is weather we invest in the ability to take the other side with us.

And if my nation were going to die, I think I'd rather that its final act not be genocide.

However, their are potential countermeasures that could be developed. Their are ways to cripple an opponent through economic and political means without ever engaging in war (see the end of the Cold War). In an actual war, two options would be to launch a preemptive strike with conventional munitions on the enemy's nuclear capability, and to invest heavily in missile defence systems.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:36 am

The East Marches wrote:
Kubra wrote: bow the fuck down, they fucking crazy

whatever man collaborate and make mad bank
Comrade J. Posadas

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:37 am

The East Marches wrote:
Kubra wrote: bow the fuck down, they fucking crazy

A man who would rather see everyone on Earth exterminated than ever suffer defeat is, ironically enough, exactly the last kind of person who should ever have nuclear weapons.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:38 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

A man who would rather see everyone on Earth exterminated than ever suffer defeat is, ironically enough, exactly the last kind of person who should ever have nuclear weapons.

But what is the point if not revenge? If your civilization is going to die, would the best option not be to drag the otherside down as well? The idea of a deterrent or the purpose of nuclear weapons goes out the window with an unwillingness to use them in such a manner.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:39 am

Kubra wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
whatever man collaborate and make mad bank

>Money
>Collaboration with Ivan or some other power

You can only pick one

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 am

The East Marches wrote:

In that case, we're probably fucked weather we have them or not. The only question is weather we invest in the ability to take the other side with us.

And if my nation were going to die, I think I'd rather that its final act not be genocide.

However, their are potential countermeasures that could be developed. Their are ways to cripple an opponent through economic and political means without ever engaging in war (see the end of the Cold War). In an actual war, two options would be to launch a preemptive strike with conventional munitions on the enemy's nuclear capability, and to invest heavily in missile defence systems.

I agree that the need for extreme invest in missile defense systems is a must. That is something that I hope will obsolete the nuclear weapon or at least shift investment into ventures which have a better probability of success.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 am

The East Marches wrote:

But what is the point if not revenge? If your civilization is going to die, would the best option not be to drag the otherside down as well?

The idea of my nation's last act being a spite-fueled genocide does not appeal to me. Its this thing about valuing human life...

Besides, a conqueror can be overthrown or altered from within over time. Many a nation has surrendered out of necessity and eventually rebuilt itself.

The idea of a deterrent or the purpose of nuclear weapons goes out the window with an unwillingness to use them in such a manner.

I consider them a largely useless weapon.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 am

The East Marches wrote:
Kubra wrote: whatever man collaborate and make mad bank

>Money

You can only pick one
I pick both, C.R.E.A.M
Last edited by Kubra on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade J. Posadas

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:The idea of my nation's last act being a spite-fueled genocide does not appeal to me. Its this thing about valuing human life...

Besides, a conqueror can be overthrown or altered from within over time. Many a nation has surrendered out of necessity and eventually rebuilt itself.

If my enemy has shown such contempt for my own people's lives regardless if they were military or civilian. He should be made to feel the same pain. There is no moral bonus for being the good guy. Especially not when your country is ashes. Its tough to rebuild from being wiped out.

The Romulan Republic wrote:I consider them a largely useless weapon.

Because you are unwilling to press the button. For somebody like myself, they serve their purpose like any other tool.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 am

Kubra wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
>Money

You can only pick one
I pick both, C.R.E.A.M

How can you call yourself a fan of Varg with that attitude?

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:54 am

The East Marches wrote:
Kubra wrote: I pick both, C.R.E.A.M

if confronted with the prospect of war with russia, varg would back the huh wow lyric interpretation to keep his head on its shoulders
Russian prison ain't no fun compared to norwegian
Comrade J. Posadas

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:56 am

Kubra wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
if confronted with the prospect of war with russia, varg would back the huh wow lyric interpretation to keep his head on its shoulders
Russian prison ain't no fun compared to norwegian

Edit: we're off topic, nevermind. Better dead than red.
Last edited by The East Marches on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:57 am

The East Marches wrote:If my enemy has shown such contempt for my own people's lives regardless if they were military or civilian. He should be made to feel the same pain.

There is always a distinction between soldiers and civilians, except in the minds of bigots who think that being born inside certain boundaries is reason enough to murder someone.

I grow so tired of this sadistic internet tough guy bullshit.

There is no moral bonus for being the good guy.

You are kind of missing the whole point of "moral" and "good guy".

Especially not when your country is ashes. Its tough to rebuild from being wiped out.

No one is going to nuke a country they're beating that isn't using nukes on them.

Because you are unwilling to press the button. For somebody like myself, they serve their purpose like any other tool.

I wonder if you'd find it so easy to push the button and kill millions or billions if you were actually in that position.

Its easy to talk big on the internet.

Its when actually faced with such choices that a man finds out if he has a soul.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 am

I try to take a long-term, big-picture approach to politics.

Nuclear exchanges are kind of the opposite of that, in general.

Kaledy
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:06 am

If I am not mistaken, no nation that had nuclear weapons has ever been invaded. I also think it is very likely that if NATO and the Warsaw-pact didn't have nuclear weapons, there would have been a lot more conflicts.

On the other hand, nations without nuclear weapons are now clearly at a disadvantage. Nuclear powers keeping other nations, without nukes, from developing them seems hypocritical to me.
Last edited by Kaledy on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:08 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:There is always a distinction between soldiers and civilians, except in the minds of bigots who think that being born inside certain boundaries is reason enough to murder someone.

I grow so tired of this sadistic internet tough guy bullshit.

But its not. Our whole policy has been decided to be this for the last 60 years. Its reason enough to murder somebody when they rain nuclear fire down upon your country. Unless there are consequences for the actions, somebody will take that action. I do not understand what is difficult about this.

The Romulan Republic wrote:You are kind of missing the whole point of "moral" and "good guy".

Your opinion of "moral" is very likely to be different from my own.

The Romulan Republic wrote:No one is going to nuke a country they're beating that isn't using nukes on them.

Thats wrong. The Soviets had plans for nuclear weapons should they have come through the Fulda Gap. Not only that but other nasty weapons too. The assumption of that humans will restrain themselves from their worst side in a conflict is a wrong one to make.

The Romulan Republic wrote:I wonder if you'd find it so easy to push the button and kill millions or billions if you were actually in that position.

Its easy to talk big on the internet.

Its when actually faced with such choices that a man finds out if he has a soul.

I already know what I'm made out of. By your definition, I'm probably a soulless monster. Souls are luxuries for those who can afford them. You moralize on about how just and righteous you are for letting yourself die like a martyr. It is that martyr like attitude which would put all of us in danger should that suddenly be our policy with nuclear weapons.
Last edited by The East Marches on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:09 am

Kaledy wrote:If I am not mistaken, no nation that had nuclear weapons has ever been invaded. I also think it is very likely that if NATO and the Warsaw-pact didn't have nuclear weapons, there would have been a lot more conflicts.

On the other hand, nations without nuclear weapons are now clearly at a disadvantage. Nuclear powers forbidding nations without nukes from developing them seems hypocritical to me.
lol but like who would invade them
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General